News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 19, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Another step towards I-49 in Missouri:
http://www.fstribune.com/story/1786299.html

"The transformation of U.S. 71 Highway to Interstate 49 came another step closer to completion when the interchange at U.S. 71 and Highway E, north of Milo, opened to traffic on Friday. Information found on the Missouri Department of Transportation's Web site, www.modot.org, indicates motorists are likely to see workers in the area of this interchange next week, when they expect to be doing such things as installing white plastic lane markers along ramps and removing the crossover on U.S. 71.

That was fast! I'll be up that way in December, so I'll try to snag some photos.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route56

I know he's the sports guy, but, come on Scott Nuzum, you could at least double as a transportation writer ;)

(or, maybe you can comment about who wrote the Tribune article)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on November 19, 2011, 10:08:11 PM
I know he's the sports guy, but, come on Scott Nuzum, you could at least double as a transportation writer ;)

Sometimes, he does, like when he published my "Not 69" photo ;)

apeman33

That was a story for our weekend paper, which is a combined Fort Scott/Nevada edition. It doesn't have its own web site, so it gets put on each of ours with a "Herald-Tribune" byline...the exact same story is on the Nevada Daily Mail site http://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/1786287.html. It was written by someone over in Nevada. There's only two news writers over there. But since there was no byline, I'm guessing it was a press release that was edited to fit AP style.

ShawnP

Grzrd

On Monday, December 19, MoDOT is coordinating three separate dedication cermonies related to the US 71 to I-49 conversion:
http://modot.mo.gov/southwest/news_and_information/District8Release.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=140759

... Five interchanges, two overpasses and several outer roads were built in 2011 for a total cost of $21.3 million.
Two more interchanges, two more overpasses and one more outer road are scheduled for construction in 2012. The work in 2012 will complete the U.S. 71 upgrade between Kansas City and Pineville near the Missouri-Arkansas state line.
Also in 2012, a corridor-long project is scheduled to install I-49-related signs.
MoDOT is working with the Federal Highway Administration for final approval of the I-49 designation by December 2012 ...
Local and state officials will join MoDOT staff for three dedication ceremonies Dec. 19:
* 10 a.m. at Bates County Route AA/E north of Adrian (along U.S. 71 west outer road south of interchange) ...
* 12 Noon at Vernon County Route E near Milo south of Nevada (along U.S. 71 east outer road north of interchange) ...
* 2 p.m. at 30th Road Overpass near Lamar and Lamar Heights ...

ShawnP

I miss the Joplin regional office. They did a much better job of updating info than Springfield.

US71

I was in Kansas City this weekend, so I got to take a look at the progress on 71/49. Forgive me if there is some duplication of previous messages.

The west bridge pier is just now under construction at 327th, but the outer roads have recently been completed on both sides of 71. There was also a VMS warning of lane closures beginning 12/12.

I noticed no construction at 307th, but perhaps work is going on where it's not seen from 71.

Route DD appears to be complete, but is not open yet: the sign crews were erecting signs Friday.

No work at all at Route BB. I didn't even see any survey markers.

Route M is open at Compton Junction as is Route D to Stotesbury.  Old 71 at Compton Jct now serves as an outer road between M and D and the old bridges remain in place...at least for now.

AA/E is open to traffic. It is simply AA/E (or E/AA southbound) with no control city.

Route E is open at Milo. The east Outer Road runs south and connects to the "invisible" Spur 71

US71

Route DD Interchange opened today.

MoDOT Traffic Alert: New Route 71/Route DD Interchange
South of Milo OPEN to Traffic

When: 1 p.m. today (Wed., Dec. 14)

Where: Route 71 at Vernon County Route DD south of Milo.

What: New interchange and outer roads open to traffic. Route DD also reopened.

USE CAUTION: Contractor crews continue installing new road signs at interchange. Be alert for lane closings and narrowed ramp lanes

bugo

Quote from: US71 on December 14, 2011, 06:52:10 PM
Route DD Interchange opened today.

MoDOT Traffic Alert: New Route 71/Route DD Interchange
South of Milo OPEN to Traffic

When: 1 p.m. today (Wed., Dec. 14)

Where: Route 71 at Vernon County Route DD south of Milo.

What: New interchange and outer roads open to traffic. Route DD also reopened.

USE CAUTION: Contractor crews continue installing new road signs at interchange. Be alert for lane closings and narrowed ramp lanes

"County Route DD?"

NE2

Probably a somewhat awkward way of saying (Vernon County) (Route DD).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

Considering the "cut-out" style signs were

State Road
DD
Vernon

mgk920

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

I'll have to check to see if there is a 'County 'DD'' in Vernon County.

(Vernon County, Wisconsin, that is  :nod: )

Mike

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 10, 2011, 10:50:11 AM
http://modot.mo.gov/southwest/news_and_information/District8Release.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=140759
Local and state officials will join MoDOT staff for three dedication ceremonies Dec. 19:
* 10 a.m. at Bates County Route AA/E north of Adrian (along U.S. 71 west outer road south of interchange) ...
* 12 Noon at Vernon County Route E near Milo south of Nevada (along U.S. 71 east outer road north of interchange) ...
* 2 p.m. at 30th Road Overpass near Lamar and Lamar Heights ..."

Bad weather forced at least the noon Route E interchange ribbon cutting ceremony indoors, but three more steps toward I-49 made official yesterday (photo of Route E interchange ribbon cutting with story):
http://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/1796384.html

Despite an impromptu change of venue, city, county and state elected officials as well as Missouri Department of Transportation representatives and transportation advocates were on hand to dedicate the new road work and hear from speakers about the progress of the project and the hoped for benefits of having an interstate run through Vernon County.
Foul weather forced a ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony scheduled for noon, Monday, to be moved from the site of the new U.S. 71 Highway and Route E interchange near Milo to the MoDOT maintenance facility, located on the West Outer Road on the north edge of Nevada.
Becky Baltz, the Southwest District engineer for MoDOT welcomed the group and told them about the four new interchanges -- at E, DD, D, and M -- and one new overpass in the county and how those improvements and the designation of the highway as I-49 next year will lead to improved safety. Baltz also said that a designated interstate is "a major reason businesses come to an area." ...

US71

Looks like MoDOT is getting some of the signposts ready:

M86

Quote from: US71 on December 20, 2011, 10:23:26 AM

Awesome!  I love MODOT!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: M86 on December 22, 2011, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 20, 2011, 10:23:26 AM

Awesome!  I love MODOT!

PennDOT did the same thing in getting ready for I-99 to be posted along US-220.

US71

Gordon

MoDot has a new site for the Kansas City District about converting 71 hwy to I-49.

adt1982

Quote from: Gordon on January 20, 2012, 07:36:12 PM
MoDot has a new site for the Kansas City District about converting 71 hwy to I-49.

Here's the link, since you didn't bother to share it.

http://www.modot.mo.gov/kansascity/major_projects/I-49.htm

Grzrd

^ Also, the Kansas City District Converting 71 to I-49 page has not replaced, and is in addition to, the Southwest District Converting Route 71 to I-49 page.  MoDOT now provides two pages to look for I-49 information updates about the conversion.

Desert Man

I-49 currently is in Louisiana from I-10 to the south near Lafayette to the I-20 in Shreveport/Bossier city, but I'm sure the I-49 moniker extends up to Texarkana and proposal to make I-49 cross the Arkansas Ouachitas to connect with I-40 in Fort Smith or Fort Chaffee, Ark., but the I-540 crosses the Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale area of Northwest Arkansas and the Missouri Ozarks to meet near Joplin connecting with I-44 and old route 66 in Baxter Springs, Ks. and Miami, Ok. Time to rename I-540 to I-49, but a Kansas City-Joplin interstate is a no brainer: Joplin is rebuilding from last year's F-5 tornado and I'm sure Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Ark. supports this interstate highway plan.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

US71

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 24, 2011, 01:09:36 PM
The part of Watkins from Gregory Boulevard to 55th Street would be a parkway, with lower speed limits and traffic lights at 55th and 59th streets and at Gregory ...
Beth Wright, district engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation, says the parkway portion of the road now carries twice the number of vehicles for which it was designed, which results in ... problems [i.e. delays]  
Later this year, Wright said, the three intersections are to be included in Operation Green Light, which aims to improve traffic flow by coordinating signals. The Watkins signals and their counterparts on Prospect Avenue will be re-timed, which should minimize delays on Watkins.
MoDOT and Operation Green Light will need to collect data and analyze it before looking at alternatives to the present design, Wright said.
Quote from: J N Winkler on September 24, 2011, 01:52:26 PM
It would be good to have the stoplights removed
Quote from: ShawnP on September 25, 2011, 10:53:20 PM
As human being I just want those death traps removed at the three lights.

This article focuses on a study that suggests the installations of red light cameras in Kansas City do not add to safety.  However, in regard to the Watkins intersections, the article does mention that wrecks more than doubled at the 59th Street intersection in the two years after the cameras appeared (the largest increase in Kansas City) and that injury accidents increased at the 55th Street intersection after installation of the cameras:

The intersection of Bruce R. Watkins Drive and 55th Street has seen more injury accidents despite the presence of red-light cameras there ...
Wrecks more than doubled at 59th Street and Bruce R. Watkins Drive, the intersection that posted the largest increase.

I'm not an engineer, but I believe a high number of accidents will continue to occur as long as the lights exist and traffic remains at or increases from double the road's capacity.  But I suppose the politics are still too volatile ...

I enjoyed this comment to the article from mickey4727:

I'm forced through the 71 highway "gauntlet of death" every single day.  You've got a choice when cruising at speed and the lights turn yellow, and more often than not the choice that is forced on drivers is to increase speed and hope to clear the cams' field of view before it's too late.  There's just not enough time to stop.  The extra pressure this causes on the minds of drivers increases the risk of accident, if anything.

bugo

71 will be a freeway one day.  Yeah, I know there is a court settlement and all but court rulings are overruled every day.  The demographics of the neighborhood could change.  Residents die, new residents who have different views of the freeway will be born, residents will move into the neighborhood.  It might not be built in my lifetime, but it will be built one day barring something like a total economic collapse or a nuclear war or some other catastrophe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.