News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: splashflash on July 26, 2019, 06:59:00 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on July 26, 2019, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: splashflash on July 26, 2019, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: Gordon on June 21, 2019, 12:20:45 PM
The two remaining jobs for Arkansas, county road 34 to Missouri state line and Hwy. 71 interchange Connection to I49 are on the bid list for July 24th this year. Missouri has their part scheduled for spring of 2020. So Arkansas will start those 2 jobs sometime this fall.

A Missouri company will be paid $102 million to complete two sections of the Interstate 49 Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas.  According to the Northwest Arkansas Council, Arkansas should be able to keep its promise of having the roadway open in 2022.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/arkansas-to-spend-over-100-million-on-bella-vista-bypass/

Have they already awarded the contract? This article says that they just opened the bids.

Construction should begin by November. The company has 90 days from the date the bids are awarded to start work.

The company said it will take about a year to finish the highway and about 700 days to do the interchange, which consists of about 2.7 miles of roadways and bridges.
Quote from: Gordon on July 26, 2019, 06:36:19 PM
There is a job going on now that is adding the north bound lanes from Hwy 71 interchange to County road 34. so it will be all interstate standard on the Bella Vista bypass.

When is that job supposed to be completed?
Again, the same article you quoted says completion will be 700 days versus 1000 for the runner-up but lower bid from a second company.

It's only money.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mvak36

Quote from: splashflash on July 26, 2019, 06:59:00 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on July 26, 2019, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: splashflash on July 26, 2019, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: Gordon on June 21, 2019, 12:20:45 PM
The two remaining jobs for Arkansas, county road 34 to Missouri state line and Hwy. 71 interchange Connection to I49 are on the bid list for July 24th this year. Missouri has their part scheduled for spring of 2020. So Arkansas will start those 2 jobs sometime this fall.

A Missouri company will be paid $102 million to complete two sections of the Interstate 49 Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas.  According to the Northwest Arkansas Council, Arkansas should be able to keep its promise of having the roadway open in 2022.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/arkansas-to-spend-over-100-million-on-bella-vista-bypass/

Have they already awarded the contract? This article says that they just opened the bids.

Construction should begin by November. The company has 90 days from the date the bids are awarded to start work.

The company said it will take about a year to finish the highway and about 700 days to do the interchange, which consists of about 2.7 miles of roadways and bridges.
Quote from: Gordon on July 26, 2019, 06:36:19 PM
There is a job going on now that is adding the north bound lanes from Hwy 71 interchange to County road 34. so it will be all interstate standard on the Bella Vista bypass.

When is that job supposed to be completed?
Again, the same article you quoted says completion will be 700 days versus 1000 for the runner-up but lower bid from a second company.
I was asking about the project where they're paving the northbound lanes between hwy 71 and county road 34. As I understand it, that project has already been let and construction has started on it.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

Google Street View imagery along that part of AR-549 (dated April 2018) shows construction in progress. A lot of dirt work was taking place when the Google car made its pass through there. Ground must have been broken on that segment shortly after the satellite/aerial view was taken (3/13/2018). At this point the second set of lanes ought to be well along.

I'm wondering when ArDOT will start bulldozing I-49 North of County Road 34 toward the MO state line.

Gordon

Probably next week they will award the contracts for the 2 remaining jobs. Ardot said they would review the bids and then award so nothing is really awarded yet.

mvak36

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 26, 2019, 10:24:14 PM
Google Street View imagery along that part of AR-549 (dated April 2018) shows construction in progress. A lot of dirt work was taking place when the Google car made its pass through there. Ground must have been broken on that segment shortly after the satellite/aerial view was taken (3/13/2018). At this point the second set of lanes ought to be well along.

I'm wondering when ArDOT will start bulldozing I-49 North of County Road 34 toward the MO state line.

I found this article laying out what the contractor proposed: https://talkbusiness.net/2019/07/completion-of-bella-vista-bypass-in-arkansas-to-cost-102-million/
QuoteWith regard to the single-point urban interchange, Emery Sapp & Sons is expected to complete the project in about two years. The bid was for $66.59 million, which is higher than the bid submitted by Kolb Grading LLC of St. Charles, Mo. Straessle explained that Emery Sapp & Sons was the apparent low bidder based on how many days it would take to complete the project. Kolb Grading submitted a bid for $60.92 million, but would complete the project in more than three years, the bid shows.

"To us, time is money,"  Straessle said. "And we may be paying in the neighborhood of $6 million more for that bid, but if they can do it in a years less time, then that's worth it. That's money well spent, or invested, if you will."

Emery Sapp & Sons is expected to complete the 2.5-mile portion of the bypass to the state line in a year, according to the bid. Its bid for the project was $35.52 million. Kolb Grading submitted the second-lowest bid at $37.52 million, but would take more than a year to complete the project.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

That's a new article dated just 2 days ago (7/24/19). The article quoted ArDOT as saying if the bids are approved work could start less than 90 days from now. That could mean Arkansas' portion of the Belle Vista Bypass up to the MO state line could be complete in 2021.

One thing that is staggering: the $66 million cost for the SPUI interchange for I-49 and Business US-71. OTOH, that is a pretty complicated nut to crack. The existing intersection is very busy and has one heck of a convoluted roundabout intersection. It's going to be a whole lot of fun carefully orchestrating traffic movement over a 2 year construction period to replace the old interchange with a new SPUI. All the other remaining work on the project will be a cakewalk by comparison. From the article: "Emery Sapp & Sons is expected to complete the 2.5-mile portion of the bypass to the state line in a year, according to the bid."

The second set of lanes for Arkansas' part of the Belle Vista Bypass is well underway South of County Road 34. It will be relatively easy to extend the 4 lane highway up to the state line. Most of that part of the bypass may be complete in 2020. That will just leave people waiting for the I-49/Bus US-71 interchange to be finished.

Of course Missouri has to get on the stick and build its portion of the bypass.
:-/

MikieTimT

I just drove this road today.  The bridge south of the southern AR-72 exit already has the decking and barriers poured, and earthmovers and bulldozers were working on dirt this afternoon.  They are making good progress on the middle section.

bugo

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 18, 2019, 12:39:37 AM
Should just convert that new stretch of I-49 between US-71 and AK-255 into a local road, then route I-49 up the existing I-540. That $700 million could go to completing long rural stretches of I-49 instead, which are far more of a priority.

The new I-49 stretch would just become another one of those highways - built intended for an interstate, then re-routed instead and only serves local traffic.

The problems with these ideas is the fact that a connector would have to be built connecting I-540 in south Fort Smith to the current I-49. US 71 cannot be upgraded to a freeway and building a connector would be very expensive. Also, the combined I-49/540 traffic would overwhelm that little 4 lane freeway and traffic would be awful through there. It's a much better idea to build a new bridge and route it from Barling to Alma.

bugo

Quote from: sparker on June 18, 2019, 04:59:03 PM
Since it looks like much of the alignment from US 270 north to Greenwood will essentially follow the current facility, securing (ostensibly) a ROW accommodating 2+2, even though only initially constructing 2 of the 4, and maintaining limited access like any other Super-2, would go a long way (that's a big chunk of mileage!) toward getting I-49 built at all (baby steps!).  And -- IMO, if the Super-2 sits more or less atop the old US 71, it would be most appropriate just to retain the US 71 signage for the time being (avoiding the temptation to call it another "549" section) until such time as funding allows the 2nd carriageway to be constructed.  All in all, not a bad plan, considering the overall funding situation.

There's no way US 71 between Greenwood and "Y" City could be upgraded to freeway status. It's just a typical Arkansas cowpath that was never relocated onto a better alignment (except for the Waldron bypass). There are hundreds and hundreds of driveways along that stretch and dozens of roads that branch off of US 71. It would be much more expensive to attempt to do this instead of just building a freeway on a new alignment.

However, the section through Foran Gap south of "Y" City near the Polk/Scott county line will be built on top of or right next to the current highway. Fourche Mountain is pretty tall so the freeway will pretty much have to run close to the current route to avoid building lengthy tunnels.

I thought I-49 was going to run a few miles west of US 71 in Scott County. Has this been changed?

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 13, 2019, 10:01:27 AM
Since it looks like much of the alignment from US 270 north to Greenwood will essentially follow the current facility, securing (ostensibly) a ROW accommodating 2+2, even though only initially constructing 2 of the 4, and maintaining limited access like any other Super-2, would go a long way (that's a big chunk of mileage!) toward getting I-49 built at all (baby steps!).  And -- IMO, if the Super-2 sits more or less atop the old US 71, it would be most appropriate just to retain the US 71 signage for the time being (avoiding the temptation to call it another "549" section) until such time as funding allows the 2nd carriageway to be constructed.  All in all, not a bad plan, considering the overall funding situation.

There's no way US 71 between Greenwood and "Y" City could be upgraded to freeway status. It's just a typical Arkansas cowpath that was never relocated onto a better alignment (except for the Waldron bypass). There are hundreds and hundreds of driveways along that stretch and dozens of roads that branch off of US 71. It would be much more expensive to attempt to do this instead of just building a freeway on a new alignment.

However, the section through Foran Gap south of "Y" City near the Polk/Scott county line will be built on top of or right next to the current highway. Fourche Mountain is pretty tall so the freeway will pretty much have to run close to the current route to avoid building lengthy tunnels.

I thought I-49 was going to run a few miles west of US 71 in Scott County. Has this been changed?

I've seen some rough drafts of maps, but don't know if anything has changed.  Maybe once ARDOT gets serious we'll have a better idea (like when I-540 was going to continue north from I-40 in the 1960's )

MikieTimT

Quote from: bugo on August 13, 2019, 10:01:27 AM

Not in the most recent map I saw of the route, which is on Page 45 of 57 of the most recent publicly available presentation at https://www.arkansashighways.com/PowerPoints/2019/20190612%20AHC%20Meeting%20Slides.pdf

Still looks quite a few miles west in Scott County except for right next to the county line on the north end where Mansfield gets bypassed to the east.  Not until south of Y city does it have to closely follow 71, where the valley boxes it in around the mountain there.  Just had to drive that stretch with a 15-passenger church van and box trailer to take 2nd - 6th grade kids to church camp down at Bogg Springs.  Not nearly as fun to drive that road with that setup as my regular wheels.

O Tamandua

(Beginning of the end of) Groundbreaking ceremonies for the Bella Vista Bypass set for October 15:

The plan:

Arkansas BVP road finish: mid-2020

Seamless connector between I-49 BVP and I-49 at north Bentonville finish: 2021

Missouri-side BVP finish: 2022.

https://talkbusiness.net/2019/10/officials-to-celebrate-start-of-102-million-in-projects-for-bella-vista-bypass/?fbclid=IwAR34OwYdrOd5OQik3tHf6H6-_6YfkUaflcSDXjtZMSxWyu9KZPzD6_uMKD8

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 08, 2019, 10:13:26 PM
(Beginning of the end of) Groundbreaking ceremonies for the Bella Vista Bypass set for October 15:

The plan:

https://talkbusiness.net/2019/10/officials-to-celebrate-start-of-102-million-in-projects-for-bella-vista-bypass/?fbclid=IwAR34OwYdrOd5OQik3tHf6H6-_6YfkUaflcSDXjtZMSxWyu9KZPzD6_uMKD8

Actually, adding the additional two lanes between Bentonville and Bella Vista should be 2020, but finishing 49 to Missouri will likely be 2022, about the same time Missouri finishes up.    The media appears to have bollixed up some of the info, but I spoke directly to Danny Straessle, ARDOT's press spokesman

sparker

Quote from: US71 on October 17, 2019, 07:28:33 PM

The plan:

Actually, adding the additional two lanes between Bentonville and Bella Vista should be 2020, but finishing 49 to Missouri will likely be 2022, about the same time Missouri finishes up.    The media appears to have bollixed up some of the info, but I spoke directly to Danny Straessle, ARDOT's press spokesman

Add 9 months to a year for the inevitable weather (and assorted BS) delays, and the bypass should be completed in about 3 1/2 to 4 years.  Considering that only a couple of years back it was up in the air as to whether it would be completed within a decade or so this is reasonable progress, considering the two states involved.     

US71

Quote from: sparker on October 17, 2019, 09:51:21 PM

The plan:

Add 9 months to a year for the inevitable weather (and assorted BS) delays, and the bypass should be completed in about 3 1/2 to 4 years.  Considering that only a couple of years back it was up in the air as to whether it would be completed within a decade or so this is reasonable progress, considering the two states involved.     

I have a little more faith in MoDOT.

-- US 175 --

The plan:

Add 9 months to a year for the inevitable weather (and assorted BS) delays, and the bypass should be completed in about 3 1/2 to 4 years. 

Don't give anybody out there any ideas.  I'm sure enough of then want to fit in all the coffee/donut breaks they can, as it is.  ;-) :cool:

US71

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 18, 2019, 10:01:18 AM

The plan:

Add 9 months to a year for the inevitable weather (and assorted BS) delays, and the bypass should be completed in about 3 1/2 to 4 years. 

Don't give anybody out there any ideas.  I'm sure enough of then want to fit in all the coffee/donut breaks they can, as it is.  ;-) :cool:

I remember when one of the streets in my neighborhood was widened a couple years ago, there were 3 guys doing the work and 5 supervisors.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on October 17, 2019, 10:06:48 PM

The plan:

I have a little more faith in MoDOT.

My skepticism/cynicism arises not so much from issues with either state's DOT, but the fact that they need to coordinate efforts with one another.  While the efforts to do so may be spelled out on paper, in the field things happen for a multitude of reasons, not necessarily attributable to the actions of one or another, but simple minor misunderstandings and miscommunication that can "snowball" into delay-causing problems.  I hope I'm being over-pessimistic, and that things will progress on or reasonably around schedule -- but heeding the axiom that states "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong", just in case!

US71

Quote from: sparker on October 18, 2019, 04:22:37 PM

My skepticism/cynicism arises not so much from issues with either state's DOT, but the fact that they need to coordinate efforts with one another.  While the efforts to do so may be spelled out on paper, in the field things happen for a multitude of reasons, not necessarily attributable to the actions of one or another, but simple minor misunderstandings and miscommunication that can "snowball" into delay-causing problems.  I hope I'm being over-pessimistic, and that things will progress on or reasonably around schedule -- but heeding the axiom that states "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong", just in case!

At least they're not trying to blow a hole in a mountain only to have it cave in on itself ;)

O Tamandua

Granted, this is about 2 counties (around the Jasper/Newton line, I'm guessing) north of Arkansas, but a new interstate brings positive changes:

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/updated-casey-s-announces-plan-to-build-distribution-center-in/article_3ea23f7c-06fd-11ea-b532-cbaaf8b6cc9a.html

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on November 15, 2019, 01:33:39 PM
Granted, this is about 2 counties (around the Jasper/Newton line, I'm guessing) north of Arkansas, but a new interstate brings positive changes:

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/updated-casey-s-announces-plan-to-build-distribution-center-in/article_3ea23f7c-06fd-11ea-b532-cbaaf8b6cc9a.html

Contingent on corporate welfare tax incentives.

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on November 15, 2019, 01:45:46 PM

Indeed...occupational hazard nowadays, sadly.  That being said, this site is as close to the Interstate 44/49 junction as one can get without being foolish enough to stand on it.:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/2715+s.+prosperity+road+joplin+mo/@37.0598265,-94.4234508,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

MikieTimT

I'm sure the state and city have done the math and decided they'll get more than $3M in benefit and ancillary/support industries.  Can't fault either the industry for seeking tax deferment, or the state and city governments from offering as that's what's required to be competitive on both sides nowadays.  And as long as everyone does their diligence, I'm sure it works out for both sides.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 15, 2019, 02:37:03 PM

I'm sure the state and city have done the math and decided they'll get more than $3M in benefit and ancillary/support industries.  Can't fault either the industry for seeking tax deferment, or the state and city governments from offering as that's what's required to be competitive on both sides nowadays.  And as long as everyone does their diligence, I'm sure it works out for both sides.

Fayetteville gave a bunch of tax breaks  for the old Mountain Inn downtown. It was to be razed and a new multi-story hotel built.  They got about half way to tearing it down when the new owner went bankrupt.

Of course, Fort Smith gave tax breaks to a local politician to build new softball fields and he took the money and did nothing.

So naturally, I'm skeptical of tax breaks/tax incentives. It seems like they are abused easily.

What is the current AADT on US 71 between 40 and 30?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.