News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 04, 2020, 01:17:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:42:43 AM
Google Maps is turning up five instances of [Camino Street] in the USA:  Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan, Texas.

All the while nobody in Santa Clarita seems to get that "The Old Road"  is also likely a cheeky reference to "El Camino Viejo."

Pre US-99 Reference.

ErmineNotyours

A business development in Tukwilla, Washington is Andover Park.  They have two parallel roads: Andover Park West and Andover Park East.  Andover Park West is on the Metro 150 bus route, so one time the Metro map maker christened the name Andover Parkway for the bus to travel on in the schedule map. 

formulanone

I thought we had a "Redundant Street Names" thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Strasse Boulevard, west of Punta Gorda, Florida.

Strasse (or Straße) is German for road/street.

Also, Punta Gorda roughly translates as "fat point" from Spanish to English, no?

EJumean

Similar to that, in Toronto, there's a main street called Avenue Road. Also, in the slightly weird street names, we have a local street named East Street....which runs north and south (with "N" & "S "designations on the signage). I'm sure it was named after someone rather than the direction, but I've always found it strange.

GaryV

Quote from: EJumean on September 10, 2020, 10:31:28 PM
Also, in the slightly weird street names, we have a local street named East Street....which runs north and south (with "N" & "S "designations on the signage). I'm sure it was named after someone rather than the direction, but I've always found it strange.
Maybe at one time it was the eastern edge of the city?

kphoger

Wichita has Southeast Blvd, Southwest Blvd, and West St–and they're all major roads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: EJumean on September 10, 2020, 10:31:28 PM
Also, in the slightly weird street names, we have a local street named East Street....which runs north and south (with "N" & "S "designations on the signage). I'm sure it was named after someone rather than the direction, but I've always found it strange.
Quote from: GaryV on September 11, 2020, 08:20:29 AM
Maybe at one time it was the eastern edge of the city?
That's the method used for the original grid for Raleigh, North Carolina:  North Street, East Street, South Street and West Street.  Much of the original grid layout still exists, although a fairly significant portion of North Street has been eliminated for the Legislative Building complex and the city entrance from Capital Boulevard as it splits into Salisbury Street (southbound) and McDowell Street (northbound).  Certainly not a weird name here, but searching for East Street can drive Google nuts (even worse on other search engines).

jakeroot

Monster Road in Renton, WA. Named for a farmer (Charles A.) that lived in the area where the road currently runs.

I am completely stunned that no one mentioned this one yet. Especially ErmineNotyours, since he's so familiar with Renton.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2020, 01:49:32 AM
Monster Road in Renton, WA. Named for a farmer (Charles A.) that lived in the area where the road currently runs.

I am completely stunned that no one mentioned this one yet. Especially ErmineNotyours, since he's so familiar with Renton.

When the Family Fun Center opened on a tail of the road separated from the main road by a closed rail crossing, they changed the name to Fun Center Way.  Isn't Monster Road a more fun name than Fun Center Way?

QuoteSTREET GETS `FUN' NAME
Newspaper April 29, 1998 | Seattle Times, The (WA)
Author: CHERYL M. HARRIS | Page: B3 | Section: SOUTHWEST | Column: BRIEFLY
151 Words
Read News Document Listen with webReader

TUKWILA

After some confusion as to whether a Monster Road really exists in Tukwila, an old part of Southwest Grady Way has a new name.

Council members voted to rename the stretch of road "Fun Center Way" because of a new Family Fun Center that is scheduled to open next year near the old alignment of Grady Way, cornered between Interurban Avenue South and Southwest Grady Way.

The name change was at the request of the developer.

The El Cajon, Calif., company plans to have go-carts, miniature golf, a restaurant and hotel.

Initially, when the company proposed the name change to the City Council, many concerned residents, including members of the Monster family now living in Enumclaw, thought it wanted to rename Monster Road. The area was settled by John Monster around 1880.

After some research, city officials found that there was no problem, because Monster Road is in Renton, not in Tukwila.

idk

Not necessarily a street, but there is a tiny town in Arizona named "why".

I-55

Quote from: idk on October 24, 2020, 01:13:30 AM
Not necessarily a street, but there is a tiny town in Arizona named "why".

A very good question.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

MCRoads

This would make more sense if it was spelled "wye" , or even just "Y" . But I guess, Why not?

Forgot to add why I was posting:

Better not take this road, you might be in traffic for a while...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on October 24, 2020, 07:39:19 PM
This would make more sense if it was spelled "wye" , or even just "Y"  ...

That is, in fact, the etymology of the town's name.  When it was being named, there was a Y-junction of roads there.  Town names couldn't be a single letter, so they couldn't name it just Y.

Quote from: MCRoads on October 24, 2020, 07:39:19 PM
Better not take this road, you might be in traffic for a while...

And see, here I was thinking, What other kind of street is there?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

zachary_amaryllis

harmony road, in SE fort collins.
named i think for a railroad control point

this road is far from harmonious.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

STLmapboy

Somebody has to have mentioned Shreveport's Stoner Avenue.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

hotdogPi

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 12, 2020, 02:25:16 PM
Somebody has to have mentioned Shreveport's Stoner Avenue.

Searching within a thread searches for all instances in that thread only (elsewhere, it's a maximum of one per thread, but throughout the whole forum). No need to manually look through 34 pages; the word Stoner only returns one result (two once I submit this), and it's yours.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Revive 755

Might not be the funniest, but it still brought a smile:  Borg Road in Wisconsin.

US71

Farfrompoopen Rd near Story, Arkansas

34.690883, -93.397722
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

CoreySamson

No street view, but this gated community near Port O' Connor, TX has some weird names:

Let's Get Drunk (might have to zoom in a bit to see the name here)
Rob Me Blind

I'm not sure if these are actually the correct street names, but it's what Google shows.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Kniwt

A development in Washington UT has streets named Alley McBeal, Alley McGraw, Alley Cat, Alley Oop, and Bowling Alley.

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 08, 2020, 07:36:27 PM
No street view, but this gated community near Port O' Connor, TX has some weird names:

Let's Get Drunk (might have to zoom in a bit to see the name here)
Rob Me Blind

I'm not sure if these are actually the correct street names, but it's what Google shows.

I think those are Google Maps vandalism.  I can't find any online reference to their existence.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.