News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: kphoger on April 18, 2019, 02:48:43 PM
That will no doubt be of interest to my friend who designs bridges for a living.  What is your source material?
In a previous life, I was a bridge/hydraulics engineer at IDOT District 3. I was in college when many of these were built but saw the plans and had several conversations with the people who worked on them, including Mr. Hsiong.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 18, 2019, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 18, 2019, 02:48:43 PM
That will no doubt be of interest to my friend who designs bridges for a living.  What is your source material?
In a previous life, I was a bridge/hydraulics engineer at IDOT District 3. I was in college when many of these were built but saw the plans and had several conversations with the people who worked on them, including Mr. Hsiong.

I am a bridge design nut and at one time thought I was going to go into engineering just to do bridges. (University of Illinois I presumed at the time)

I love those bridges with no center pylon.  When I drove the Wenona Weave during I-39 construction, they would push us over and I would drive under those and thought it was the most practical and elegant design for a bridge, especially for a low duty bridge that most of these were.

Today I am surprised how far material sciences has come as I see pre-stressed concrete versions of this pylon less design supporting a 3 lane half of an interstate.

I even drove out and showed someone visiting from KDOT and he was surprised and we got into a long debate on just how pre-stressed it really was.

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 17, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Quote from: I-39 on April 17, 2019, 10:38:33 PM
The Bloomington to Decatur segment was planned in the 1970s along with the Rockford to Normal segment. It was scaled back by 1978 or so to an expressway using the existing ROW due to concerns about farmland being taken out of production (Rick Powell, do you remember anything about this?). If they had waited a decade and used the design standards that were used between Oglesby and Normal, I wonder if they would've gone interstate on the Bloomington to Decatur segment?

I am not sure about farmland preservation being an issue on the Bloomington to Decatur segment (although I read USEPA's comments on the "bypass" alternatives vs. the "in town" alignments and they seemed to acknowledge the trade off in farm impacts vs. noise impacts depending on which alignment was chosen). But I do know that the Oglesby to Normal freeway section was designed with a 54 foot median and bridges with no center pier, in part to reduce the required farm acreage. The Bloomington - Decatur expressway was mostly a cost-saving move to get it done within the remaining statewide highway budget, from what I have gathered, although we did sneak in that US 136 interchange. A full access control probably wouldn't have taken that much more land, except for overhead structures every mile or two.

I worked on the in-house design plans for the first 4-lane segment going south of I-74; it must have been 1978 or 79; and was at the opening ceremony at Heyworth in the late 80s. I suspect that the segment I worked on pre-dated the EIS referenced above, since we were already doing final design well before 1981, and it was built well before the remaining sections to the south. Or maybe we were working on it so that it could be let shortly after the EIS was approved, since this segment had no alternatives.

The section through Clinton was considered for an in-town "one way couple" similar to Business 51 through Bloomington-Normal, but ultimately the west bypass was built with at-grade intersections.

Interesting to hear that an Interstate/freeway south of Bloomington wouldn't have taken up much more land. I figured that was the case. I guess it was politics that really derailed it.

It's really sad that the I-39 wasn't finished all the way to I-57 like supplemental freeway plan proposed. I maintain that FAP 412 was probably the only proposed downstate supplemental freeway that should have been constructed in its entirety as an Interstate. As someone who has made the drive from Tennessee to central/northern Illinois and Wisconsin via I-57 to I-74 to I-39 many times, I'm absolutely convinced an extended I-39 to I-57 at Salem would cut an hour off the drive.

csw

There have been lots of posts in this thread about the poor condition of I-55, especially in Will County, followed by "IDiOT" comments blaming them for their inaction. The following comment/question isn't about I-55 but I think it's still valid.

Driving down I-57 from Chicago today, it was easy to see that some sections of the pavement are in good condition while others are in disrepair. The border between these sections was always at a county line - Ford, Champaign, and Kankakee counties are in pretty good shape, while Will and Iroquois are in some real need of work. In Cook County, it's crappy from I-94 to I-80, but good from I-80 to the county line. Is the pavement maintenance for interstates left to counties in Illinois, or at least this part of Illinois? Or is it just convenient for IDOT to start and end their pavement sections at county lines? If it's the former, maybe IDOT doesn't deserve the blame for deteriorating pavement. Someone familiar with what goes on in this region, please advise.

ilpt4u

IDOT Districts are Groups of Counties, but not individual Counties

I believe many projects are bid out by the County within a District, tho, at least the way I have read IDOT Bid Announcements

ET21

I-80 getting a third lane added with the redo of the US-30 interchange:

"The overall project involves extending a third lane in each direction on I-80 from approximately Interstate 355 through the U.S. 30 interchange. The bridges carrying I-80 over U.S. 30, Metra's Rock Island District Line and Hickory Creek will be rebuilt.  Other components of the project include modernized traffic signals, drainage improvements and the extension of a bicycle and pedestrian path along U.S. 30. An earlier project replaced the Old Plank Road Trail bridge over I-80.

The new interchange is expected to be complete in late 2021."
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rick Powell

Quote from: ET21 on June 03, 2019, 09:38:41 AM
I-80 getting a third lane added with the redo of the US-30 interchange:

"The overall project involves extending a third lane in each direction on I-80 from approximately Interstate 355 through the U.S. 30 interchange. The bridges carrying I-80 over U.S. 30, Metra’s Rock Island District Line and Hickory Creek will be rebuilt.  Other components of the project include modernized traffic signals, drainage improvements and the extension of a bicycle and pedestrian path along U.S. 30. An earlier project replaced the Old Plank Road Trail bridge over I-80.

The new interchange is expected to be complete in late 2021."

Work has already started to grade the median to widen the lanes to the inside, and to close the gap between the current EB and WB I-80 structures over US 30. Traffic is being shifted away from the median to allow more work space.

inkyatari

Construction is slated to begin on I-55 on the BNSF / Grant Creek bridges on June 17th. Initially, both bridges will be reduced to a single lane, to accommodate shoulder widening. When that's done, the southbound bridge will be closed, and traffic will be moved to a single lane in each direction on the northbound bridge. When that's done, the closing will be reversed. Construction is scheduled to be finished by fall of 2020.

Use I-80 and IL - 47 as an alternative.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

edwaleni

Quote from: inkyatari on June 09, 2019, 11:04:26 PM
Construction is slated to begin on I-55 on the BNSF / Grant Creek bridges on June 17th. Initially, both bridges will be reduced to a single lane, to accommodate shoulder widening. When that's done, the southbound bridge will be closed, and traffic will be moved to a single lane in each direction on the northbound bridge. When that's done, the closing will be reversed. Construction is scheduled to be finished by fall of 2020.

That method might work somewhere between Pontiac and Springfield, but not there.

Just the dumbest, cheapest way to fix things.  Trucks will be backed up on the northbound side for miles because there is an incline in the highway to reach the bridge from the south.

I wouldn't be surprised if trucks get backed up all the way back to I-80 on the southbound side as they line up to get across with only 1 lane.

I will say it again, build a urban style bridge with 4 lanes (2 each way) in between the existing spans. Demolish the old spans and add 1 more lane and outer shoulder to each side of the new center span and be done.

No backups, no delays, no safety problems, just a clean bridge replacement approach.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on June 11, 2019, 12:41:25 AM

That method might work somewhere between Pontiac and Springfield, but not there.

Just the dumbest, cheapest way to fix things.  Trucks will be backed up on the northbound side for miles because there is an incline in the highway to reach the bridge from the south.

I wouldn't be surprised if trucks get backed up all the way back to I-80 on the southbound side as they line up to get across with only 1 lane.

I will say it again, build a urban style bridge with 4 lanes (2 each way) in between the existing spans. Demolish the old spans and add 1 more lane and outer shoulder to each side of the new center span and be done.

No backups, no delays, no safety problems, just a clean bridge replacement approach.

I would agree to that.  But, you know, $$$

I drive that way home every day.  I know what I'm avoiding now.  ONly drawback is that now the wife is going to ask me to pick things up from the store as I drive through Morris.

edwaleni

Quote from: inkyatari on June 11, 2019, 08:42:12 AM

I drive that way home every day.  I know what I'm avoiding now.  ONly drawback is that now the wife is going to ask me to pick things up from the store as I drive through Morris.

Here is hoping IDOT places key "time to delay" signs with alternate routing.  Yes, I know Google Traffic does the same thing., but not everyone looks at their phone while traveling.

Revive 755

There should also be safety concerns, given the number of fatal wrecks the last time I-55 in that region was down to one lane for construction.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on June 11, 2019, 02:35:20 PM

Here is hoping IDOT places key "time to delay" signs with alternate routing.  Yes, I know Google Traffic does the same thing., but not everyone looks at their phone while traveling.

What I've noticed so far, coming home from work, is that the first VMU is just before I-80

paulthemapguy

I wonder if they were waiting for the Will/Grundy county line bridge to get done before they started that project.  Another detour idea may be to take that bridge instead, even if the Arsenal Rd. interchange will send you 2 miles in the wrong direction no matter which way you're going.  In other words, take Blodgett Road, Will Road, and Lorenzo Road (cars only- no big rigs).  You can also do Blodgett to River Road, but that takes you through the Des Plaines Fish and Wildlife Area with its low speed limits and frequent stop signs (I don't recommend this).

Situations like this comprise one big reason why I wish there was a bridge across the Illinois River near Minooka.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 12, 2019, 07:19:57 PM

I wonder if they were waiting for the Will/Grundy county line bridge to get done before they started that project.  Another detour idea may be to take that bridge instead, even if the Arsenal Rd. interchange will send you 2 miles in the wrong direction no matter which way you're going.  In other words, take Blodgett Road, Will Road, and Lorenzo Road (cars only- no big rigs).  You can also do Blodgett to River Road, but that takes you through the Des Plaines Fish and Wildlife Area with its low speed limits and frequent stop signs (I don't recommend this).

Situations like this comprise one big reason why I wish there was a bridge across the Illinois River near Minooka.

I'm actually shocked that the IL 47 bridge over 55 in Dwight wasn't done first. That bridge is in far worse shaper, and if you're going to use that as a detour, I'd think you'd want that in good shape first.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on June 13, 2019, 09:31:30 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 12, 2019, 07:19:57 PM

I'm actually shocked that the IL 47 bridge over 55 in Dwight wasn't done first. That bridge is in far worse shape, and if you're going to use that as a detour, I'd think you'd want that in good shape first.

District 1, meet District 3.  District 3, meet District 1.  Now, let's coordinate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Lyon Wonder

The IL-106 Illinois River bridge at Florence has been hit yet again by a barge and is now closed indefinitely.  This isn't the first time a barge has hit this bridge since there have been more than one barge collision with this bridge in the last decade.  IIRC the last barge collision before this one was in 2016.

http://wlds.com/news/florence-bridge-closed-due-to-a-barge-hit/

Rick Powell

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 20, 2019, 11:49:19 PM
The IL-106 Illinois River bridge at Florence has been hit yet again by a barge and is now closed indefinitely.  This isn't the first time a barge has hit this bridge since there have been more than one barge collision with this bridge in the last decade.  IIRC the last barge collision before this one was in 2016.

http://wlds.com/news/florence-bridge-closed-due-to-a-barge-hit/

And it was closed before that due to some record flooding of the lower Illinois River. The people of Scott and Pike counties are used to taking the long way around through Meredosia, or across I-72, after years of bridge outages for one reason or another. The new one can't come fast enough.

inkyatari

It's official: Utica's new bridge is behind schedule

Granted, only two weeks, but that's going to affect installation of the superstructure.  Damn rain!

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: inkyatari on June 25, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

Granted, only two weeks, but that's going to affect installation of the superstructure.  Damn rain!

Is the new IL-178 bridge going to be 4 lanes wide since I've heard that traffic to and from Starved Rock State Park is quite high for such a rural route?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 26, 2019, 07:32:20 PM

Is the new IL-178 bridge going to be 4 lanes wide since I've heard that traffic to and from Starved Rock State Park is quite high for such a rural route?

Unfortunately, no.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 26, 2019, 08:49:39 PM

Unfortunately, no.

IDOTs interactive AADT map shows 1,525 vehicles a day (305 trucks). A rural highway needs a traffic count 5 times higher than that before IDOT starts looking at 4 lanes. I worked on the project and live in the area, and other than a few heavy weekends, traffic is usually pretty light, nothing close to congested conditions warranting 4 lanes.

Crash_It

It's only congested because people go 25mph over it.

ET21

Quote from: Crash_It on June 27, 2019, 06:39:18 AM

It's only congested because people go 25mph over it.

^This, and it's annoying as hell
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 27, 2019, 12:25:32 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 26, 2019, 08:49:39 PM

Unfortunately, no.

IDOTs interactive AADT map shows 1,525 vehicles a day (305 trucks). A rural highway needs a traffic count 5 times higher than that before IDOT starts looking at 4 lanes. I worked on the project and live in the area, and other than a few heavy weekends, traffic is usually pretty light, nothing close to congested conditions warranting 4 lanes.

I'm excited because it's going to have a separated bike lane (if what I read about the bridge is true)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.