News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

MI: Speed Limits to Go Up in Detroit?

Started by DanTheMan414, August 31, 2009, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTheMan414

http://www.freep.com/article/20090831/NEWS05/908310326/1007/Some-metro-Detroit-limits-may-be-raised-to-70-m.p.h.

From today's (8/31/2009) Detroit Free Press, the Michigan State Police & the Michigan D.O.T. are taking a look at the possibility of raising the speed limit of some stretches of freeway within the city limits of Detroit that are posted at 55 m.p.h., to 70 m.p.h.  Part of their reasoning is that bumping up the speed limits could decrease accidents and improve traffic flow, with many drivers already tending to drive closer to 70 than 55 in these zones. 

Click on the above link for the full story.

rawmustard

Matt Helms even had a chat at 10 a.m today discussing the issue. As I always say, if the data support raising speed limits, by all means go for it.

Chris

That's quite an increase of speed limit. I like it  :cool:

50 - 60 mph is just too slow to have going on for miles. I fall asleep at such limits. Another problem is people keep zilch distance at low speeds.

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on August 31, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
50 - 60 mph is just too slow to have going on for miles.

For the most part, they're talking about raising the limits within the city itself, which has older and narrower freeway sections than the outlying suburbs. And there is precedent for raising speed limits on substandard sections, as the portion of I-94 through Jackson (which dates to the 1940s) was raised to 70 after a study a few years ago.

Hellfighter

Try driving on the Southfield @ 55. You'll get yourself killed, most everybody does 70 or faster.

Truvelo

This is the opposite of what's happening in the UK where the default limit is 70 but sections have been reduced to 60 or 50 for safety reasons even though such stretches are completely safe at 70.
Speed limits limit life

Hellfighter

Basically, nobody takes the speed limit inside the city of Detroit seriously.

DanTheMan414

Until they get to Allen Park...I notice that probably 99% or so of all drivers going southbound on M-39 know when they see that 'Allen Park - City Limits' sign between Rotunda Dr. & Oakwood Blvd., they're slowing down to 55 (or less).  The stretch of M-39 between Oakwood & I-94 in Allen Park is one of the biggest speed traps in the area.   

Hellfighter

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on September 01, 2009, 10:03:35 AM
Until they get to Allen Park...I notice that probably 99% or so of all drivers going southbound on M-39 know when they see that 'Allen Park - City Limits' sign between Rotunda Dr. & Oakwood Blvd., they're slowing down to 55 (or less).  The stretch of M-39 between Oakwood & I-94 in Allen Park is one of the biggest speed traps in the area.   

Well, on my way to school, I've seen the Dearborn cop sitting at Ford Road, waiting for a speeder.

Bryant5493

I contacted the Ga. Governor's Office of Highway Safety about raising the speed limit on I-285 from 55 to 65.

Here's their response:

As to the design characteristics, the interstates generally have design speeds which exceed the posted speed limits.  There are several reasons for the posted speed limits to be lower.  Before I identify a few of these reasons, please note all of the speed limits are set by traffic safety engineers who take into accounts applicable regulations and laws, volumes, and roadway characteristics, amongst other factors.

First, in urban settings, defined by population, speed limits cannot exceed 55 mph under applicable federal law.

Second, many interstates are built for peak demand, meaning at non-peak times there is created the appearance higher speed should be allowed. Absent variable speed limits with accompanying electronic infrastructure, this is not an option. 

Third, a least for the metro-Atlanta interstates, while it may appear when there is little traffic that this should be a go-ahead to drive faster, the reality is the combination of heavy commercial vehicles, various user categories, and years of ad hoc widening along with numerous entrances and exits over relatively short distances combine to recommend slower, not faster speed limits.  With about 50% of the interstate congestion attributable to crashes, excessive speed is a major cause.  It is no irony or coincidence that these crashes generally occur before rush hour.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chris

Ah, they gave you the good old "doing 65 mph on an nearly empty freeway is life-threatening" answer...  :pan:

Bryant5493

^^ Yeah, pretty much. I do 65 or better on I-285 more often than not.

Rather than placing blanket speed limits on freeways, driver education should be put back in schools, so folks can learn how to drive. Speed doesn't necessarily kill. Driver inexperience, stupidity, being inconsiderate and overconfidence are also contributing factors. If one can concentrate on the task at hand -- driving -- vehicular fatalities and injuries would decrease.

Alright, I'll get off of my soap box now. :sombrero:

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Terry Shea

Quote from: Hellfighter on September 01, 2009, 09:54:18 AM
Try driving on the Southfield @ 55. You'll get yourself killed, most everybody does 70 or faster.
Or try only doing 80 between Brighton and Novi on I-96!  Gotta do about 95 to keep pace with the traffic!  :-D

mightyace

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 01, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
I contacted the Ga. Governor's Office of Highway Safety about raising the speed limit on I-285 from 55 to 65.

Here's their response:

First, in urban settings, defined by population, speed limits cannot exceed 55 mph under applicable federal law.

I'm not sure, but I think your Governor's office may be thinking of the law(s) that raised the speed limit from 55 to 65.

As empirical proof, here in Nashville, the 55 speed limit is used on the inner loop (40-65-24) and a few miles out in all directions.

I-40 becomes 65 mph at Briley Parkway on the west side and 70 at I-440/24 split on the east side. I-65 on the south side goes up to 65 mph at I-440 and up to seventy between Harding Place (Exit 78) and Old Hickory Blvd. (Exits 74A-B).

All of these spots plus the ones I don't remember exactly are well withing the city of Nashville itself let alone an "urban" area.  So, either that part of your letter is BS or Nashville and several other cities are violating this alleged law.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bryant5493

^^ I think it's just a bunch of bollocks. They just don't want to raise the speed limit to a reasonable speed. There's no reason why 285 can't be posted at 65. If it were the Connector, I'd understand.

Be well,

Bryant

corco

Apparently Seattle metro isn't urban- I would have never guessed

Hellfighter

Now it's on to raising the speed limits on all main roads in the City of Detroit by 10. More 40's and less 30's...

Chris

QuoteIt is no irony or coincidence that these crashes generally occur before rush hour.

Half the people out there take medicines... most of them after waking up. Many medicines have at least some impact when driving a vehicle. Not to mention all those people who are on the road in the early hours, and still half asleep.

It seems like an easy shot to blame the speed limits, but hey, we're talking about 65 mph here, not 80. I-285 would've been 60 - 75 mph in Germany, and Germany counts as one of the safest countries in the world. Speed doesn't kill. Reckless driving, DUI or inattentive driving does.

Bryant5493

^^ I've questioned speed limits before: the speed limit on I-20 between I-75/85 and I-285 is 50 m.p.h. (the lowest non-construction speed limit on any Georgia Interstate); and South Fulton Parkway, west of Stonewall Tell Road, which is 55, when it could very well be 65 -- there's nothing out there, really. I've gotten the runaround from GDOT to the DPS.

Be well,

Bryant

vdeane

The idea of a speed limit greater than 55 in a city feels strange to me (from western NY); the lower speed limit would be needed due to interchange proximity and whatnot (the speed limit on I-490 in downtown Rochester is 40; trust me, it needs to low, but could go up to 45 or 50 if a split limit for trucks was adopted (sharp turns); through the rest of the city it's 55, and just east of downtown there are some REALLY close interchanges).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 01, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
Or try only doing 80 between Brighton and Novi on I-96!  Gotta do about 95 to keep pace with the traffic!  :-D
Now that I think about it, people probably see the I-96 shield and think it's a 96 MPH speed limit sign!  :-D

mightyace

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 03, 2009, 06:09:19 PM
Now that I think about it, people probably see the I-96 shield and think it's a 96 MPH speed limit sign!  :-D

Does that mean they go supersonic when the get on I-696?  :-D  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Terry Shea

Quote from: mightyace on September 03, 2009, 06:17:41 PM

Nobody uses that route...it's too busy!

Okay, I pretty much stole that line from Yogi.

Hellfighter

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 03, 2009, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: mightyace on September 03, 2009, 06:17:41 PM

Nobody uses that route...it's too busy!

Okay, I pretty much stole that line from Yogi.

Well, 696 is reserved for the Lamborghini's and Ferrari's!  :-D

interstate696

Yeah I have done 96 on I-96 before, people in Detroit do drive really fast.  The Lodge, M-10 as you pass 9 mile, the speed is reduced from 70 to 55 and everyone just ignores the 55 and continues at 70-80mph which is common.  People coming back from Detriot since they are used to lower speed limits tend to drive just 60 and then the begin to speed up after hitting Southfield.  M-10 in Detroit is defintaly at interstate standered and should be raised, also should Southfrield Freeway be raised too.  Everyone in Detroit drives 70+ you have to be extremely patient to drive behind someone going 55 perhaps you are trying to improve your fuel economy but yeah, the slower traffic does cause the traffic build ups.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.