News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lane ends merge lefts in Minnesota

Started by WISFreeways, October 01, 2009, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISFreeways

Why can't they just have the exit onlys be true exit onlys? I saw on some of their interchanges that there was no exit only (even though there was an exit ramp) and the exit only lane just ended.  :confused:
2009-era me chose this generic username...

mightyace

Can you give us an example or two? (interchanges that are this way)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Supposedly it's better design from a traffic standpoint to end the lane just beyond the interchange instead of having an Exit Only ramp.  This is done at I-280 (NJ) WB at Exit 4A, although curiously "Exit Only" is used on the sign there.  It has to do either with volume balancing and/or preventing last-second lane changes - operational vs. safety benefits.

froggie

mightyace:  there's a few on I-694 near the Mississippi River.  Some occasional ones along I-94 in scattered spots across the metro, including westbound at MN 101 and at MN 280.  There's even a "Lane Ends Merge Right", due to a left-side exit on eastbound 94 at Mounds Blvd, on the east side of downtown St. Paul.

My server host is doing updates this week, so I won't be able to upload snaps until Saturday...

rawr apples

Now shut up and drivee

froggie

Doubtful, and just about impossible in most of the cases.  Several of these are basically short extensions of auxiliary lanes between adjacent interchange ramps that have close spacing....MnDOT likes using the term "escape lane" for them, as it gives traffic trying to merge on that extra 100-200-300-whatever feet to get up to speed and make the merge.

WISFreeways

NOTE TO THE ADMINS: move this thread since its not only in MN.

Alps

I would say in this case there are two topics: the specific treatment of the Minnesota cases (since there are so many) and the more generic case.  If you'd like to start a more general thread in the appropriate forum, go for it!

WISFreeways

so whats more costly, the "lane ends merge left/right" signs, or a car crash?

WISFreeways

Bryant5493

I've seen this on I-95 in Chatham County at the I-16 junction, west of Savannah. I've also seen it on I-359 North at I-20/59 (Tuscaloosa, Alabama).

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

WISFreeways

I saw this on the 94/WIS 164 interchange heading EB on I-94.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.