News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 SB ramp to I-465 SB site of tanker explosion

Started by rawmustard, October 22, 2009, 04:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

Officials are saying I-465 could be closed for weeks after a tanker exploded on the on-ramp from I-69, compromising one of the bridges. I'm following the #465crash hashtag on Twitter, and this looks as if it's mucking up the afternoon commute. Hopefully it can be reopened as quickly as possible.

agentsteel53

what's with the exploding tankers recently?  The Maclaurin Maze was taken out a few months ago, and before that not that long ago, I-95 somewhere had an exploding tanker too.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 22, 2009, 04:40:59 PM
what's with the exploding tankers recently?  The Maclaurin Maze was taken out a few months ago, and before that not that long ago, I-95 somewhere had an exploding tanker too.

As did I-75 at Nine Mile Rd, just north of Detroit.  Of course, in that instance, a driver lost control and cut off a tanker truck, causing the accident.  People need to take care around such vehicles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

oops I meant 75.  The 95 explosion was about six years ago, if I recall correctly.  I certainly remember being in college at the time, anyway.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

As was Interstate 375's flyover from Interstate 275 south in St. Petersburg, Florida. That bridge was closed for several weeks after March 27, 2007.

tvketchum

froggie

Coincidentally, the underpass you see in this photo is the one that got fried in the propane tank explosion this morning. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on October 22, 2009, 08:01:16 PM
Coincidentally, the underpass you see in this photo is the one that got fried in the propane tank explosion this morning. 
oh shit, does that mean the button copy signs are gone??

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

Why are all of these bridges getting blown up!?  :confused:

FLRoads

There was a similar incident in June 2008 where a tanker exploded under the southbound carriageway of Interstate 75 at U.S. 301 and the Manatee River in Bradenton. It snarled traffic for weeks until DOT crews replaced the part of the structure over U.S. 301. I remember traveling down to Fort Myers and seeing first hand at how much damage the fire did to the bridge. The fire was so intense it melted away the concrete and charbroiled the reinforced rebars.

froggie

Quotedoes that mean the button copy signs are gone??

Not yet (the overhead sign gantry was shown on the news video yesterday).  But if InDOT has to completely replace the bridge, it's a safe bet they'll replace the sign gantry in the process due to it's proximity to the bridge.

Hellfighter

rawmustard

Quote from: Hellfighter on October 23, 2009, 11:22:50 AM
Here comes Clearview!  :pan:

INDOT hasn't yet started to use Clearview to the best of my knowledge. And even if the signs need to be taken down to accomodate bridge rebuilding, it isn't a guarantee that brand new signs would be placed at that time. Generally, re-signing has taken place in stretches that have undergone total reconstruction.

agentsteel53

unless the sign themselves have been reduced to bacon crisp.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: rawmustard on October 23, 2009, 11:31:17 AM
INDOT hasn't yet started to use Clearview to the best of my knowledge. And even if the signs need to be taken down to accomodate bridge rebuilding, it isn't a guarantee that brand new signs would be placed at that time. Generally, re-signing has taken place in stretches that have undergone total reconstruction.

No, I haven't seen any InDOT Clearview signs yet either.  Not that they have not had ample opportunity with the rebuilding of the Borman and Indiana Toll Road around Gary.  The new signs there are fully reflective FHwA font.  Now Illinois on the other hand...
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rawmustard

I-465 westbound has opened up as of 2:46pm. This article has provided updates throughout the day, so it isn't a bad idea to check the link every so often for further updates.

tvketchum

From the Indianapolis Star site:
I-465 eastbound remains closed between U.S. 31/Meridian Street and the 56th Street/Shadeland Avenue interchanges. Because Allisonville Road and Keystone Avenue are not equipped to handle high volumes of commercial traffic, all eastbound I-465 traffic is being rerouted at U.S. 31, a state highway built to manage commercial vehicles.

Keystone Ave was built as IN SR 431. Allisonville Rd in the distant past was SR 37 and then SR 37A. Both are multilane in the vicinity of I 465, and can take traffic to 86th, 82nd and 96th streets if signal timing were adjusted, so INDOT is not fully honest here.  This would involve the City of Indianapolis, not likely to happen. I suspect if a long term closure of the eastbound lanes is needed, two way traffic will be instituted on the westbound bridge temporarily.  Otherwise, opening eastbound I465 to Allisonville would be a possiblity, with commercial vehicles banned on that stretch and required to exit at US 31. It would take a few dozen signs to post it, not likely to happen for a short term closure.  The complicating factor is, if a long term closure is required for replacement, any routing of traffic from I 465 in the holiday shopping season soon to start would muck up Castleton Square Mall, a big holiday destination.

hbelkins

How is southbound I-69 traffic impacted? Specifically the movement from 69 south to 465 east (inner loop)? If it's closed, is the alternative to continue on down Binford and then make a U-turn?

This will impact my travel plans if I decide to attend Fort-to-Port, since I would most likely take I-69 south to Indy to spend the night on my way home. (Getting there would involve I-75 in Ohio to some point north of Dayton).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

My guess is if the eastbound bridge is unsafe to pass under, that ramp would be closed until the bridge is either removed or somehow made safe by temporary supports. A good alternative should that movement still be closed down at that point might be SR 9 heading south out of Anderson. You can easily pick up whichever route you want to take towards Kentucky from that route.

froggie

rawmustard

rawmustard

Eastbound I-465 was reopened, but is currently restricted to two lanes on the overpass. Once the concrete repairs are finished to the overpass and a concrete barrier replaces destroyed guardrail, the southbound I-69 ramp to southbound I-465 should be reopened as well as the left lane of the overpass.

ETA: The article was updated to reflect that all eastbound lanes are open for the afternoon rush, and that the ramp could be open by Tuesday morning.

rawmustard

The southbound I-69 ramp has reopened. Average commute time from 116th Street to I-465 is seven minutes, compared to 21 on Thursday, Friday, and Monday.

hm insulators

I remember a couple of years back, there was a similar tanker explosion at one of the interchanges just east of the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I think the interchange was where I-80, I-580 and I-880 meet, if I recall correctly.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

tvketchum

Quote from: hbelkins on October 23, 2009, 09:29:34 PM
How is southbound I-69 traffic impacted? Specifically the movement from 69 south to 465 east (inner loop)? If it's closed, is the alternative to continue on down Binford and then make a U-turn?

This will impact my travel plans if I decide to attend Fort-to-Port, since I would most likely take I-69 south to Indy to spend the night on my way home. (Getting there would involve I-75 in Ohio to some point north of Dayton).

Moot point now, but the answer is no, a U turn would not work, as there never has been a ramp from Binford Av N to I 465 eastbound, mostly because I 465 is turning south at this point. The alternative during this closure was I 69 traffic headed to I 465 south took the 82nd st exit, turned east (left) pass under  I 69, and right turn onto Shadeland Av, and followed Shadeland to the 56th St interchange to rejoin I 465.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.