Bill includes more than $800 million for Michigan roads, bridges

Started by airforceguy, December 17, 2009, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airforceguy

I think the new Jobs for Main Street Act will be a big boost for Michigan roads on top of the spending now underway from the first stimulus. However the big downside to this bill is that it will only cover state highways and not local roads which sorely need upgrading. A few weeks ago the AASHTO came out with a list of so-called "shovel-ready" projects that could be built if the bill was passed. Here's a link to the article discussing the details of the bill.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20091217/FREE/912179989

Also here's a link to the list of project identified by the AASHTO
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&dato=20091202&lopenr=91202045&Category=NEWS07&Params=Id=147763

IMO, I don't think projects like the reconstruction of I-75 in Bay County and I-69 in St. Clair County, which will cost $125 million and $115 million respectively, will get funded. But, projects like reconstructing Fort Street in downriver, rebuilding I-94 in Jackson and rebuilding and widening the I-196 bridges over the Grand River probably will.

[

leifvanderwall

Are they going to build three lanes on I-94 in Jackson? I would think that I-94 between Watervilet and Lawrence would need to be rebuilt also and I wonder if the 800 million would cover that.

airforceguy

Unfortunately, I-94 will not be widened in Jackson County, only reconstructed in anticipation of a future widening.

rawmustard

They still have to figure whether to acquire additional ROW for the existing corridor, especially between Exits 138 and 142, or to build an entirely new alignment. Either scenario has many pitfalls, so don't expect any quick decisions on this.

leifvanderwall

I wonder how many bridges this $800 million is going to cover . That is the biggest concern in Michigan right now. The St. Joesph River Bridge and the exit 27 bridge on I-94 needs to be repaired or completely replaced. A big concern on US 131 is the M-222 bridge at Martin. It would be cool if the $800 million would make US 131 a divided highway from Manton to Petosky- I know, a pipedream.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.