News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1968 Transportation Plan for Indianapolis

Started by Revive 755, January 18, 2010, 05:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

tvketchum

What I find to be missing is Holt Rd- The modern, divided highway expressway ends in a convoluted make shift route to get to 16th st. There had to be a plan to extend it farther north to or past the Speedway.

Revive 755

After the curve where Holt Road suddenly meets its northern end, Holt Road was supposed to resume heading straight north to 30th Street, then curve northeasterly to end at Lafayette Road.  On the south end Holt Road was to continue south past Kentucky Avenue, bend southeasterly, cross the White River, resume a straight south course around I-465, and then end at Southport Road around the current Southport/Tibbs Avenue intersection. 

Southport Road was supposed to form a continuous corridor with Camby Road west of the proposed Holt Road extension.  East of the Holt Road extension, Southport road would curve south-southeasterly and intersect the IN 37 expressway at Stop 11 Road, then continue on as Stop 11 Road.

Both of these routes are shown only as primary arterials, not expressways.

tdindy88

Very interesting about Southport Road, I'm in that area a lot and I'm familar with that route, never saw it as a possiblilty for an divided routes, although Stop 11 is 4 lanes from US 31 to Sherman, likewise County Line Rd is 4 lanes from 135 to I-65. It would seem these two roads have become what the plan called for abeit differently. While I knew about the Harding Street cooridor and the West St. expressway, I was curious by the planned expressway around 30th St. Is the cancelling of that route the reason for why 29th and 30th St. are one-way pairs today?

D-Dey65

No plans to run I-70 straight through Indianapolis?

Revive 755

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 21, 2010, 07:41:25 AM
No plans to run I-70 straight through Indianapolis?

According to the Interstate yellow book, I-70 was originally going to take a mostly straight through route, barring a brief multiplex with I-465 on the west side of town:
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/indianapolis.jpg

By the time the study I have checked out was happening, I-70 was being built on its present alignment.  There's no section on previous studies in the report unfortunately.  The only really noticeable difference to the interstates in the area was having the north-south section of I-465 between I-65 and today's I-865 being IN 100.

Quote from: tdindy88While I knew about the Harding Street cooridor and the West St. expressway, I was curious by the planned expressway around 30th St. Is the cancelling of that route the reason for why 29th and 30th St. are one-way pairs today?

The 30th Street Freeway was to be part of a major redevelopment of the blocks between 29th and 30th Streets.  One direction of the freeway was to be immediately adjacent to 29th Street while the other was to be right next to 30th Street (Page 100 of the study has a nice drawing of this).  30th and 29th Streets were to be one-way outer roads.  Whether 30th and 29th were switched to one-way streets for this freeway or as a result of its cancellation I can't say.  I would guess though that the 30th Street Freeway was canceled as a result of canceling the Northeast freeway.

Alps

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 21, 2010, 07:10:41 PM

By the time the study I have checked out was happening, I-70 was being built on its present alignment.  There's no section on previous studies in the report unfortunately.  The only really noticeable difference to the interstates in the area was having the north-south section of I-465 between I-65 and today's I-865 being IN 100.

But Shadeland Ave. was SR 100... or did that numbering come after the original plan?

Revive 755

Page 100 mentions "new Indiana 100" and it appears on most maps in the study.  The Indiana Highways End page (http://highwayexplorer.com/EndsPage.php?id=1100&section=1) mentions IN 100 having two separate sections in the past, so it's possible INDOT was willing to duplicate the number again, possibly after the west segment and most of the northern stretch was decommissioned.

Kurumi's site for I-465 also mentions IN 100 being used for the I-65 to now I-865 stretch:
http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix65.html#465in

rawmustard

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 22, 2010, 12:42:46 PM
Page 100 mentions "new Indiana 100" and it appears on most maps in the study.  The Indiana Highways End page (http://highwayexplorer.com/EndsPage.php?id=1100&section=1) mentions IN 100 having two separate sections in the past, so it's possible INDOT was willing to duplicate the number again, possibly after the west segment and most of the northern stretch was decommissioned.

As Sarjeant's page mentions, SR 100 was going to be the designation for the entire beltway which obviously became supplanted with I-465. Check the map scans, and you can definitely see that 100 was going to use Shadeland for the east leg, 82nd and 86th for the north, much of High School Road for the west. and Troy Avenue for the south (the last two obviated first).

Revive 755

In the 1999 and earlier imagery, Google Earth has a couple stubs at the I-65/Kessler/38th Street area that could have been intended for the Harding Freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.