News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

roadman65

I could not believe that the Watchung, NJ Sears closed two years ago and already is redeveloped.

It was one of the few freestanding Sears not anchored to a mall that was in the state.  It was built in 1965 and even had its own unique traffic signal on Terrell Road for its entrance.  It used mono tube mast arms which at the time NJ was using either double guys or truss style arms. So it stood out as well as the fact it served no streets and used to flash on Sundays when Somerset County observed the old Blue Laws.

Anyway sad to see the building gone as we used to shop there a lot when I was a kid.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
I could not believe that the Watchung, NJ Sears closed two years ago and already is redeveloped.

It was one of the few freestanding Sears not anchored to a mall that was in the state.  It was built in 1965 and even had its own unique traffic signal on Terrell Road for its entrance.  It used mono tube mast arms which at the time NJ was using either double guys or truss style arms. So it stood out as well as the fact it served no streets and used to flash on Sundays when Somerset County observed the old Blue Laws.

Anyway sad to see the building gone as we used to shop there a lot when I was a kid.

As they are closing the stores basically to sell the real estate, sounds like this is the way it should be done.  When my local Sears closed, construction started very soon thereafter to remodel both the 1st and 2nd floors for businesses moving in.  As transaction deals, and township permits and approvals, can take quite a while to finalize, this is an indication that this particular Sears closed due to willing buyer(s) ready to purchase the store.  Also notable in New Jersey is the limited availability of liquor licenses, and one was scooped up by the mall around this same time period.  They wouldn't spend the money without a deal in place.

Obviously not all closings are done in this respect, but it seems as if they can quickly sell off the store I would imagine that is their preferred option.

Based on this, I imagine those in the know, on a need-to-know basis, are aware of Sears/Kmart closings well before any news about such closing is made...definitely months if not years in advance.

roadman65

The article I researched showed that someone other than Sears owned the land.  So I assume Sears leased the land and not owned it.

However, Vernado, who used to own Two Guys of Harrison, did that as they closed the stores to actually lease the real estate and made more revenue as landlords than being in the retail industry.  Two Guys basically was a Walmart with even a grocery store inside of it.  Had sold liquor (although not all Walmarts sell booze), had a lumber store (which Walmart does not dabble in) and auto parts and light servicing.   

So yes real estate is more valuable than anything retail can provide especially Sears let themselves go over the decades.

Sheryl Crowe

In_Correct

I really do not know, but I voted in the middle. 2 Years. I do not think it will be around longer than 2 years. How ever, there is The Kresge Foundation that might be around longer. Some of the other things that Sebastian Kresge did might still continue to be around. I am going to type the rest of my comments about Sears, K Mart, and competitions from other rival stores in the other "More K Mart Stores Closing" discussion.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Pink Jazz

Speaking of Sears, I heard the clothing brand Arrow has cut its ties with Sears after so many years of being together. Many younger people today often mistake Arrow for being a Sears private label even though the brand is actually owned by fashion giant PVH. I heard they are expanding their relationship with Kohl's.

roadman65

I remember getting depressed every time my mom took us to Sears before school started.  Sears used to have a running annual marketing slogan: First to Sears, Then to School. 

That used to depress me as that always signaled that summer vacation was almost over.

Anyway I also think that Sears brand Kenmore was also a Whirlpool appliance as that manufacturer had contract with Sears to make it with the Kenmore name for Sears to sell as their very own.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2019, 10:30:51 AM
I remember getting depressed every time my mom took us to Sears before school started.  Sears used to have a running annual marketing slogan: First to Sears, Then to School. 

That used to depress me as that always signaled that summer vacation was almost over.

Anyway I also think that Sears brand Kenmore was also a Whirlpool appliance as that manufacturer had contract with Sears to make it with the Kenmore name for Sears to sell as their very own.

Yes, Kenmore appliances were typically just another sales channel for Whirlpool.  Not that it was a bad one.  They were usually pretty good appliances.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

inkyatari

Sears was the king of home branded merchandise made by others.  They sold anything Atari under their tele-games label.

Atari has an interesting history with Sears.  The video game industry would probably look quite different if it hadn't been for Sears.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ozarkman417

I'm surprised my local Sears is still open, and I got cringe-worthy KMart back to school ads before they all went under in my area. Why show an ad for a business that doesn't exist in your area?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 06, 2019, 11:32:40 AM
I'm surprised my local Sears is still open, and I got cringe-worthy KMart back to school ads before they all went under in my area. Why show an ad for a business that doesn't exist in your area?

Paper or online?  If it was online then you probably signed up for ads once somehow. 

SP Cook

Why show an ad for a business that doesn't exist in your area?

The USPS, which charges you and me by the ounce, charges junk mailers by the ton.  It is often cheaper to mail every address in a zip code zone, or even everyone in the state or DMA than to put thought into who might actually take advantage of the offers.  I get ads all the time for businesses that are not geographically logical for my home.

PAHighways

SteveG1988

I visited the newest k-mart.... *does a clarkson voice* in the country. And it was sad.

This store will be closing this fall, Somers Point NJ, 2003-2019.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

ozarkman417

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2019, 11:41:51 AM

Paper or online?  If it was online then you probably signed up for ads once somehow.
Back when I actually watched live TV, they were aired there. That was the point in my life where I watched Cartoon Network and Nick a lot, so I suppose KMart did the right thing when choosing their audience.

GCrites

Quote from: inkyatari on September 06, 2019, 11:15:18 AM

Sears was the king of home branded merchandise made by others.  They sold anything Atari under their tele-games label.

Atari has an interesting history with Sears.  The video game industry would probably look quite different if it hadn't been for Sears.

That goes to show how much power Sears had in retail at the time. 40 years on the average person coming into work has no idea how this worked. It definitely makes it more of a challenge for us to sell the Sears Tele-Games products when they come in. Customers want the VCS/2600 to be just like the one they had when they were younger (even the VCS vs. 2600 discussion can be a challenge when selling a Vader to someone who had a Woody) and the Tele-Games look with the bird's-eye maple and silver bezel really throws them off. Never mind the different names on some of the cartridges such as Target Fun and the Pong variants. Oh and forget about trying to get $120 for a Sears Heavy Sixer; just try to get rid of it for the price of the later versions.

roadman65

Red Robin Hamburgers used to have ads in Orlando long before they had stores opened in Florida even.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2019, 11:09:06 PM
Red Robin Hamburgers used to have ads in Orlando long before they had stores opened in Florida even.
So did Sonic in CT.

Big John

^^So did Chick-Fil-A in Wisconsin, but I see they are building one in Appleton.

amroad17

Sears has closed at Florence Mall.  One anchor gone--officially a dying mall.  Also, found out the K-Mart in Edgewood, KY will be closing in 2020.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Brandon

Quote from: amroad17 on September 09, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
Sears has closed at Florence Mall.  One anchor gone--officially a dying mall.  Also, found out the K-Mart in Edgewood, KY will be closing in 2020.

A single missing anchor does not a dying mall make.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brandon on September 09, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on September 09, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
A single missing anchor does not a dying mall make.
OTOH, that may not be the case in a major city such as Cincy or Jax due to economics of scale.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.