The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: corco on December 24, 2011, 05:47:09 PM
Definitely not I-11, but it's on US-93 North at the railroad track crossing about 500 feet north of SR 89 around MP 193, so yes!
Is that the only outline AZ-route shield you've seen, and do you think it's an outlier or a new standard?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

agentsteel53

it was certainly an old standard:

1971 photo, I think?

and they sometimes do randomly show up on modern installations...

I'm pretty sure this 71 is an outlier, as opposed to a reversion to a pre-1961 standard.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

I've driven a little over half the state highway system and that's the first I've seen besides the Tempe one above

vtk

I think Michigan DOT stated when they adopted Clearview that they didn't intend to use it in route shields, even in positive contrast.  A few have appeared, but they are not the norm.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ctsignguy

Up as of 10/09, replaced as of 5/11....

Still up as of 10/09

Still up as of 8/11
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

JREwing78

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 25, 2011, 11:09:52 AM
Yeah. Michigan didn't get the memo that Clearview wasn't intended to be used for numerals in shields (as far as I know, anyway).

More like the contractor didn't get the memo. Typically, Michigan does NOT do this.

yakra

I hereby dub that MA I-4895 sign "Methuselah". Can one of those good with with such things ID what year spec it is?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: yakra on December 28, 2011, 01:06:39 AM
I hereby dub that MA I-4895 sign "Methuselah". Can one of those good with with such things ID what year spec it is?

it is either a 1956 or early 1957 spec, before the specification was formally finalized in July '57.

here is a better example of one.  note the larger red crown, the larger state name, and the number moved further down relative to a standard '57 spec.  MA is the state which used this style the longest (well into the 60s), while other states used it on occasion as well.

never mind the white square layout... that is generally the same spec I refer to.  

there was, until sometime between Feb and Apr 2010, an I-91, of the same spec as the 495, that survived in Springfield.  It was in much nicer condition.

jake@aaroads.com

elsmere241

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 25, 2011, 11:09:52 AM
Yeah. Michigan didn't get the memo that Clearview wasn't intended to be used for numerals in shields (as far as I know, anyway).

The rule is not that Clearview is not to be used in shields, but rather that it is not to be used in negative contrast situations (dark text on light background) because, depending on the study, it is either just as good or worse than FHWA Series fonts in those situations. That rules out most shields, which are negative contrast applications. If states want to they can use Clearview on their Interstate shields to their heart's content, just not any other shield (except for CA and their positive-contrast state route shield). I imagine the reason you don't see it more often is a desire to use the same numbers on all shields or perhaps problems in getting Clearview to fit properly with the dimensions given in shield specifications.
I think it's the former. I've played around with Clearview, and found the default spacing between the characters is much greater than the comparable FHWA Series. In fact, I've found that with Clearview, I've got to make the spacing as low as -50 or -75 just to have comparable spacing with the FHWA Series.

Thus, what I've found is that most standard route shields are too narrow to work with Clearview at their default settings, so wider shields are required.

Alps

Quote from: elsmere241 on December 28, 2011, 09:26:16 AM

Now I see those are in Maine. My first inclination was New York, which to my knowledge is the only other state with all nine place names. Prove me wrong.

yakra

Quote from: Steve on December 28, 2011, 08:17:41 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on December 28, 2011, 09:26:16 AM

Now I see those are in Maine. My first inclination was New York, which to my knowledge is the only other state with all nine place names. Prove me wrong.
Those are a famous sight here. Most o'the Maine Humah books or CDs that we sell to turists at Bean's are required by law to have a fisherman in a yellow rain slicka standin' nextta one o'these.

I just KNEW there had to be more than one of these, and elsmere241's example proved me right.
The one I'm familiar with is in South China, tucked at the 4-way jct of old 202/3/9/32.
(Link, location's a little off...)
We still have directions to China proper, and traded Paris & Naples for Egypt & Lebanon. Egypt's not a municipality; looks like it's pointing to Egypt Bay @ the Hancock/Franklin line. Just for giggles, there's a sign for New Sweden upta County, also labeled as vanilla Sweden just to be confusing.

Time to have a little fun zeroing in on where the above example might be found.
Edit: Blammo!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

adt1982

I spotted this interesting sign on the Kickapoo-Edwards Road between I-74 exit 82 and US 150 west of Peoria on Tuesday.  It appears to be very new, as street view shows a proper shield, and does not have any markings at all on the back.

agentsteel53

Quote from: adt1982 on December 29, 2011, 09:58:23 AM
I spotted this interesting sign on the Kickapoo-Edwards Road between I-74 exit 82 and US 150 west of Peoria on Tuesday.  It appears to be very new, as street view shows a proper shield, and does not have any markings at all on the back.

that's in Illinois, isn't it?  if so, that is something new for that state.  Indiana more-than-occasionally puts up a cutout like that (no border, intended for green guide sign use) on a surface-mount post, but this is the first I've heard of Illy doing it.

jake@aaroads.com

adt1982

Yes, it's Illinois.  This is the first cutout I can ever recall seeing in Illinois.

agentsteel53

Quote from: adt1982 on December 29, 2011, 12:27:26 PM
Yes, it's Illinois.  This is the first cutout I can ever recall seeing in Illinois.

this one is, incredibly enough, still around.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

That thing looks mutated. If someone tries to take it down, it just might attack them!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

adt1982

agentsteel53

southbound coming in from Iowa at the state line.

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

Davenport-Rock Island (the Quad Cities)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Brandon

Quote from: adt1982 on December 29, 2011, 08:05:15 PM
Where is that 67 shield?

Centennial Bridge, in the Quad Cities as stated by others.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Quillz

I wish there were more erroneous cutout shields out there. Even better if they accidentally were given a black border, too.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Quillz on December 30, 2011, 01:50:02 AM
I wish there were more erroneous cutout shields out there. Even better if they accidentally were given a black border, too.
And better yet, if they were accidentally included in the MUTCD! :P
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

ctsignguy

Still up as of 10/09

Still up as of August
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

corco

Found another AZ outline shield today on SR 89 in Prescott

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.