News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

'Countdown America'

Started by bandit957, December 23, 2018, 09:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember this show? It was a weekly radio countdown of the 40 most popular songs. But they used Radio & Records, not Billboard (which 'American Top 40' used).

I remember hearing this show on WCLU in the mid-'80s when it was hosted by John Leader. Later, the countdown was hosted by Dick Clark and switched to a different format.

Anyone remember the 'Countdown America' bumpers that would go on for about 5 minutes with the honking "eep! eep! eep! eep!" sound?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ErmineNotyours

Yep.  Bought a set of the radio station transcription discs of this show from a record store from December 8, 1984 and the first half of the Top 84 Hits of 1984.  It's amazing how many good songs there used to be on the radio that aren't on anymore.  Or I'm getting old and can't get used to newer music.

Scott5114

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 23, 2018, 07:57:34 PM
Yep.  Bought a set of the radio station transcription discs of this show from a record store from December 8, 1984 and the first half of the Top 84 Hits of 1984.  It's amazing how many good songs there used to be on the radio that aren't on anymore.  Or I'm getting old and can't get used to newer music.

Keep in mind that when you look back in time, your memory is always skewed toward remembering the good stuff but not so much the bad. (This is true for most things, not just music.) Case in point, I don't mind listening to 90s or 2000s music stations, but I sure do remember a lot of bad music from that era that hasn't made it onto the 90s/2000s stations.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Until I saw the OP, I thought this was going to be about the 2020 census, especially since I've actually been considering starting such a thread myself.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on December 24, 2018, 08:44:13 AM
Until I saw the OP, I thought this was going to be about the 2020 census, especially since I've actually been considering starting such a thread myself.

That's not a bad idea, having a thread for a census.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 24, 2018, 01:48:45 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 23, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

Keep in mind that when you look back in time, your memory is always skewed toward remembering the good stuff but not so much the bad. (This is true for most things, not just music.) Case in point, I don't mind listening to 90s or 2000s music stations, but I sure do remember a lot of bad music from that era that hasn't made it onto the 90s/2000s stations.

But that's the fun of listening to old countdown shows, you hear songs they don't play on oldies stations any more, and you wonder either, "Why aren't they playing this song?" or "How was this song ever a hit?"  I don't care if they play obscure songs; I can't stand hearing the same songs over and over again, though I must have used to have liked it.

bandit957

How come "Do You Want Crying" is never played on the radio anymore? That song was cool.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.