News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovet

Quote from: cappicard on December 15, 2015, 10:38:10 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing within Kansas State Law to warrant this.
I've always viewed situations like that as an assistance to wayfinding.  If you're not familiar with the area, lost, maybe in the dark, and you want to go that direction, you might just try turning there before you notice there's actually no road there.  I've known plenty of people who have done that.
Joseph
[Jovet]

jbnv

Quote from: cl94 on December 21, 2015, 11:29:52 PM
At least in the east, ground-mounted lane use signs are quite rare outside of Vermont.

I'd say they are common in Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cappicard

Quote from: Jovet on December 22, 2015, 04:23:48 AM
Quote from: cappicard on December 15, 2015, 10:38:10 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing within Kansas State Law to warrant this.
I've always viewed situations like that as an assistance to wayfinding.  If you're not familiar with the area, lost, maybe in the dark, and you want to go that direction, you might just try turning there before you notice there's actually no road there.  I've known plenty of people who have done that.
Prior to this year's Johnson County Gateway, there was a very steep dirt access road to private property (it may be owned by JC Penney Logistics Center) directly east of the off-ramp from eastbound K-10.

iPad

roadfro

Quote from: Zeffy on December 21, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
Great to know?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.035402,-87.8996491,3a,15y,56.96h,86.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0A2TtcFD9uDbKSufGbvTNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

An "Accident Investigation Site" is usually used as a place to pull off the roadway (as opposed to blocking lanes) to resolve fender benders and similar, non-serious accidents, especially in cases where there is no or little shoulder to pull off to.

US 95 in Las Vegas used to have a couple of these in the early 2000s on the east/west segment west of downtown. These were put in between when NDOT eliminated the right shoulders to provide auxiliary lanes but before completion of the mid-2000s widening projects expanded the freeway to its current configuration.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on December 22, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 21, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
Great to know?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.035402,-87.8996491,3a,15y,56.96h,86.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0A2TtcFD9uDbKSufGbvTNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

An "Accident Investigation Site" is usually used as a place to pull off the roadway (as opposed to blocking lanes) to resolve fender benders and similar, non-serious accidents, especially in cases where there is no or little shoulder to pull off to.

I would prefer "Emergency Pull-off" personally. "Accident Investigation Site" seems almost too specific, so specific that I'm not sure the general population would be comfortable stopping in that area, for fear of invading a crime scene or something. I know I wouldn't have stopped in that area (perhaps a more permanent installation on a white background would be less confusing).

relaxok

From an intersection close to Skywalker Ranch here in Marin!

noelbotevera

Quote from: relaxok on December 22, 2015, 07:38:02 PM

Holy crap is that a large photo.

I can imagine the signs. Yield to Androids When Crossing. STOP if these are the wrong droids you're looking for.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

Dumb question, but that is Photoshopped right? The DIN 1451 being used looks pretty good, and the colours match very nicely.

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 22, 2015, 11:39:12 PM

Dumb question, but that is Photoshopped right? The DIN 1451 being used looks pretty good, and the colours match very nicely.

Yes, it is.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Here's the actual intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/65gJ2CKU4uu

I'm going with photo-shopped, because you can see a little pixilation around the sides of the diamond.  I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it was a novelty sign, but a search for such a sign for sale came up empty.

SignGeek101

Found this today in a private parking lot.

An old yield sign (Canadian style, flipped upside down) with a European looking pedestrian crossing within it.

The guy's head looks a bit displaced though.

freebrickproductions

Here's an odd sign on US 31 in Decatur, AL:
No Trucks by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And have some odd and ugly signage from Jackson County, AL:
Weight Limit Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Dead End Road by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Odd and Ugly Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Road Closed by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
In Case Of Blocked Crossing by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Most of the above signs were in Scottsboro, AL, though a few are in the surrounding communities of Hollywood and Woodville.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 24, 2015, 04:52:45 PM
Found this today in a private parking lot.

An old yield sign (Canadian style, flipped upside down) with a European looking pedestrian crossing within it.

The guy's head looks a bit displaced though.
The sign itself looks pretty weather-beaten too. I wonder if the people who made this sign deliberately sought a weather-beaten Yield sign.

Zeffy

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1925527,-81.4753365,3a,15y,177.11h,91.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSmPUlT9ZmLgz9N4EJTcM1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This looks like it uses Series EM for half of the destination legend - which, judging by the age of this sign, is rare in Georgia. However, it also has a text version of US 80, with a 2dus US 280 shield. It's like a mix-and-match of different techniques.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Eth

Quote from: Zeffy on December 27, 2015, 04:22:34 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1925527,-81.4753365,3a,15y,177.11h,91.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSmPUlT9ZmLgz9N4EJTcM1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This looks like it uses Series EM for half of the destination legend - which, judging by the age of this sign, is rare in Georgia. However, it also has a text version of US 80, with a 2dus US 280 shield. It's like a mix-and-match of different techniques.

Georgia originally used EM before switching over to Series D (I'm not sure exactly when that happened, but I think it was sometime in the '80s or maybe the early '90s). Obviously, this sign isn't old enough to be from that era due to the exit number, but every so often on some of the more rural sections of the Interstates you'll see some of these 2000s-vintage partially-EM signs. My guess is that they were designed as carbon copies of the old signs except for the updated exit numbers from the 1999-2000 renumbering.

Also unusual for this era is the bottom line reading simply "1 MILE" instead of "EXIT 1 MILE". The redundant word has been taken out on all the new post-2008 signs, but was always included before then.

freebrickproductions

This AL 36 shield in Cotaco, AL has the cardinal direction mounted beneath the shield:
AL 36 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cappicard

I found this oddball in Manhattan, Kansas. 4th and Pierre Streets when Pierre turns into K-177.  It's not using a sunflower shield, but rather a generic circular state shield.

iPhone

hbelkins

A cousin of mine took this picture on Sanibel Island, Fla., and posted it to his Facebook page.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2016, 08:10:13 PM
A cousin of mine took this picture on Sanibel Island, Fla., and posted it to his Facebook page.
(pic snipped)
I have an urge that that image is Photoshopped. It is also WAY too big.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 03, 2016, 08:27:06 PM
(pic snipped)
I have an urge that that image is Photoshopped. It is also WAY too big.

It appears they're real. Had I known about those, I might have driven over there when we were in the area last week. Oh well.

http://www.captivasanibel.com/page/content.detail/id/525923/Saving-screech-owls-on-Sanibel.html

http://www.island-reporter.com/page/content.detail/id/526332/Screech-Owl-warning-signs-are-up-on-Sanibel-Captiva-Road.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

SignGeek101

cappicard

formulanone

Reminds me of this one on Florida's east coast (FL 614).

Sandhill Crane Crossing by formulanone, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.