News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

Quote from: US 89 on May 06, 2019, 07:29:51 PM
Could not figure out what this red X sign was supposed to mean. Taken southbound on US 29 at Astor Avenue, south of downtown Atlanta:

It means "don't use this lane because opposing traffic uses it", using the same idiom that other Atlanta streets do for reversible lanes. Why they went to extra lengths to point it out here, I'm not sure; maybe there was a rash of head-on collisions at some point.

kphoger

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 01, 2019, 03:23:02 PM
I remember where I used to live in CT, all of the HOV signs for this one exit had no border around the state route shield (a square), so we ended up with this: https://goo.gl/maps/fg89eQeCDcf8Katq7

I've seen this sort of thing in Texas as well.

Here's one example.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2019, 09:12:22 PM
I remember where I used to live in CT, all of the HOV signs for this one exit had no border around the state route shield (a square), so we ended up with this: https://goo.gl/maps/fg89eQeCDcf8Katq7

Here's one example.

Interesting that the Hazardous Cargo sign got a border, but not the route marker.

WA example with a border: http://bit.ly/2H4moVM

MNHighwayMan

I love when people post links without any description of what we're supposed to be seeing.

:rolleyes:

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2019, 09:12:22 PM

Here's one example.

Interesting that the Hazardous Cargo sign got a border, but not the route marker.

WA example with a border: http://bit.ly/2H4moVM

Seems the 8 1/2 FEET MAX  and the WIDE LOADS legends should be swapped to make the message clearer.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: Verlanka on May 10, 2019, 09:31:53 AM
From Amsterdam, NY:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9361952,-74.1919608,3a,75y,42.01h,71.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLv41h5XeaeGZWgBBDkiZKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 10, 2019, 09:42:51 AM
I love when people post links without any description of what we're supposed to be seeing.

:rolleyes:

I hate all links without a description of what to expect there.  Even if my best friend texts me a URL, I don't click on it unless he tells me why I'd want to.

At any rate, it could be the 'CITY SPEED LIMIT 30' or the 'END ONE WAY' signs.  Without knowing if either one of those is standard in New York, I have no way of knowing if they're unique in that location.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 01:52:49 PMAt any rate, it could be the 'CITY SPEED LIMIT 30' or the 'END ONE WAY' signs.  Without knowing if either one of those is standard in New York, I have no way of knowing if they're unique in that location.

Without a description or scholium, I'd assume attention was being called to "End One Way," because that is putatively a custom design under the MUTCD general get-out clause for custom word-message signs, while "City Speed Limit XX" is a standard sign in New York.  But I speak as someone who has a print copy of the 1984 NYSMUTCD.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I'm afraid you have caught me--I had forgotten appearance in the margin as an element of the definition of scholium.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Catching J N Winkler on the definition of an obscure word...  Isn't that worth some sort of trophy?
Male pronouns, please.

CardInLex

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 10, 2019, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 01:52:49 PMAt any rate, it could be the 'CITY SPEED LIMIT 30' or the 'END ONE WAY' signs.  Without knowing if either one of those is standard in New York, I have no way of knowing if they're unique in that location.

Without a description or scholium, I'd assume attention was being called to "End One Way," because that is putatively a custom design under the MUTCD general get-out clause for custom word-message signs, while "City Speed Limit XX" is a standard sign in New York.  But I speak as someone who has a print copy of the 1984 NYSMUTCD.

"End One Way"  is a standard MUTCD sign. It's an R6-7.

kphoger

Wow, JNW is really slipping lately.  We may need to stage an intervention of some sort...
Male pronouns, please.

Verlanka

I was referencing the fact that signs were appearing even though the street continues to be one-way.

CardInLex

Quote from: Verlanka on May 11, 2019, 08:24:16 AM

I was referencing the fact that signs were appearing even though the street continues to be one-way.

But it's not one way. There's opposing traffic. So the sign is correct.

Jim

Re: the signs at the north end of the Route 30 bridge in Amsterdam.  That section of Church Street north of Main was one way for many years, but in the fairly recent reconfiguration, both that section of Church and most of the nearby portion of the Route 5 westbound arterial were reconfigured for two-way traffic.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Amtrakprod

Many have heard of louvered backplates, but I saw louvered signs for the first time:

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Tonytone

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 11, 2019, 01:33:28 PM
Many have heard of louvered backplates, but I saw louvered signs for the first time:

iPhone
Must be very windy in that area. They probably did that so it wont break the arm gantry.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Mapmikey

Quote from: Eth on May 06, 2019, 07:48:59 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 06, 2019, 07:29:51 PM
Could not figure out what this red X sign was supposed to mean. Taken southbound on US 29 at Astor Avenue, south of downtown Atlanta:

It means "don't use this lane because opposing traffic uses it", using the same idiom that other Atlanta streets do for reversible lanes. Why they went to extra lengths to point it out here, I'm not sure; maybe there was a rash of head-on collisions at some point.

The other direction has the X sign as well (https://goo.gl/maps/TGXxgpvhNWuF9JVj9) though it is faded completely out except a piece of the red border in the lower right of the sign)

ClassicHasClass

QuoteMust be very windy in that area. They probably did that so it wont break the arm gantry.

Interesting solution but even in this area where the Santa Anas lay waste every fall and the utility lines are buried (no poles), I've never seen that out here.

TBKS1

I don't know if this is common or if I'm living under a rock but I've never seen a distance sign with four entities on it.

Taken on US-259 SB in Morris County, TX on November 7th, 2018.

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Tonytone

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 11, 2019, 03:13:49 PM
QuoteMust be very windy in that area. They probably did that so it wont break the arm gantry.

Interesting solution but even in this area where the Santa Anas lay waste every fall and the utility lines are buried (no poles), I've never seen that out here.
Well thats a traffic light so this is different, have you ever saw when its windy they bounce, well they do that so it wont break like a tree in the wind, but even trees break under very windy stormy conditions so an arm mast made of metal will have a higher chance of breaking especially with signs that give it resistance to the wind.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

formulanone

Quote from: TBKS1 on May 11, 2019, 06:44:10 PM
I don't know if this is common or if I'm living under a rock but I've never seen a distance sign with four entities on it.

Taken on US-259 SB in Morris County, TX on November 7th, 2018.

Four is much less common - I think New Jersey has a few with four destinations.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 11, 2019, 01:33:28 PM

iPhone

That looks to be US Route 1 in Saco, ME. I used to live one town over in Old Orchard Beach.  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.