Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: machias on August 31, 2021, 01:25:53 PM
I found the lettering on this new guide panel on I-10 NW of Downtown Tucson interesting. I believe it's Series D (the earlier Georgia variant). ADOT specs allow for Series D to be used if Series EEM is going to result in an extra large sign.  Photo taken today.

That isn't Series D - at least not what Georgia used. Georgia's font is/was way worse:

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2021, 07:37:24 AMThere may be a pullout at which it is mandatory for trucks to stop. I haven't looked at Street View (if available) to confirm whether that's the case, but often when you see these sorts of signs there's a spot where truckers have to stop and check their brakes and that's where you find this sort of sign.

I've encountered quite a few hill descent map signs in person, StreetView, and construction plans sets, and am slowly compiling a national list of them.  Many are visible to moving traffic, but I have yet to find one that doesn't have a layby or pullout within eyeshot where drivers can stop to prepare for the descent (and road enthusiasts can park while photographing the signs).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Quote from: US 89 on September 02, 2021, 12:11:45 PM
I found the lettering on this new guide panel on I-10 NW of Downtown Tucson interesting. I believe it's Series D (the earlier Georgia variant). ADOT specs allow for Series D to be used if Series EEM is going to result in an extra large sign.  Photo taken today.

That isn't Series D - at least not what Georgia used. Georgia's font is/was way worse:

The ADOT one is actual Series D.  Georgia used a special font unique to them called Georgia D.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I rather like Georgia D. Perhaps just because it's different.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Georgia D is more typographically well-formed than vanilla Series D.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

machias

Quote from: vdeane on September 02, 2021, 12:36:24 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 02, 2021, 12:11:45 PM

The ADOT one is actual Series D.  Georgia used a special font unique to them called Georgia D.

Actually "Georgia D" is still used, it's nearly identical (no weird "D") to the Series D put out by Page Studio Graphics in the late 90s or early 00s. That's the version of Series D primarily used on mixed case signs on non-freeways in Arizona. I've seen it in plenty of other places.

Scott5114

I have been a proponent of calling that version of the font "chocolate" Series D (to contrast with "vanilla" Series D found in the SHS book). It predates Page Studio Graphics; I think it's been in circulation since at least the 70s. There are matching versions of the other series as well; Springfield MO has used chocolate Series B on its street blades for the last couple of decades.

Bruce

A weird but clever way to split the bottom tab. Seen on I-182 WB:

D-Dey65

I like this sign arrangement in Niagara Falls, Ontario:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ontario_Highway_420_(26800987753).jpg

Granted if we had something like this, we'd have to adjust it to our own MUTCD standards, but that's okay. Unless those roads were for motorist services, then we' could keep it blue.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 03, 2021, 12:06:46 PM
I like this sign arrangement in Niagara Falls, Ontario:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ontario_Highway_420_(26800987753).jpg

Granted if we had something like this, we'd have to adjust it to our own MUTCD standards, but that's okay. Unless those roads were for motorist services, then we' could keep it blue.

"Alternate to Falls" is ominous.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2021, 05:59:38 PM
Quote from: plain on September 01, 2021, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2021, 03:36:39 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51416028766/

A great highway guide, but not standard and not state installed either.

Is that the furthest away the Golden Gate Bridge is mentioned?
It's a pretty famous sign amongst roadgeeks.

I've actually stayed at the hotel in the picture, too. It was ... interesting.

D-Dey65

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on September 01, 2021, 06:50:18 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 05:44:20 PM
A map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

Put that one in the hill signage thread!
We have one of those?

J N Winkler

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 03, 2021, 01:22:24 PMWe have one of those?

I think this is the one being referred to:

Interesting Hill Signage

I've been meaning to start a thread dedicated specifically to hill descent map signs, which represent a share but not the totality of the signs shown in that thread.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

^ I much prefer California's US Routes shield design than what the rest of the states use.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
To me California cut outs are 😎 cool.

That's a more recent replacement/installation.  It has the cardinal direction on top of the shield instead of below, which is a recent change to the California MUTCD, and it also uses a First Letter is Larger cardinal direction sign, which is also a recent practice.  I agree with you that it looks good.

ClassicHasClass

I still prefer the slightly thicker numbers on older shields, particularly the Scotchlite ones. But glad we still post cutouts in the Golden State.

snowc

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 04, 2021, 11:32:40 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
To me California cut outs are 😎 cool.

That's a more recent replacement/installation.  It has the cardinal direction on top of the shield instead of below, which is a recent change to the California MUTCD, and it also uses a First Letter is Larger cardinal direction sign, which is also a recent practice.  I agree with you that it looks good.
They use this commonly in the north.

Bruce

Single-panel sign for both tiers of speed limits (a bit rare in Washington):

And also a construction speed zone:

1995hoo

Bruce's post makes me think of the peculiar work zone speed limit signs North Carolina used in the 1990s (I don't recall seeing any of these on I-95 in May and June of this year, but they might still use these in other parts of the state). Having "speed limit" on a single line like that always looked strange to me (the typeface is odd too, but it was the single-line "speed limit" that always caught my eye as weird). I guess if the sign caught your eye, that's a good thing, although I don't recall them generally being effective at getting people to do 55.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

^ From what I remember, the signs that were used on the I-95 zones were variable speed limit signs, something North Carolina commonly seems to use on work zones. The speed limit was still set through the entire zone at 65 mph though, despite the shifted lanes, barriers, etc. It's reasonable though, given the flow was ~80 mph and it was a decently designed work zone.

snowc

Quote from: Bruce on September 05, 2021, 02:12:24 AM
Single-panel sign for both tiers of speed limits (a bit rare in Washington):

used on our street.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on September 05, 2021, 02:12:24 AM

The City of Norman owns one of those, and it turns up in random places across the city. Once, it was even in my yard for a day or two.

I kind of wonder if it has some sort of data-recorder function and it's actually being used to do speed studies.

ErmineNotyours

Once a portable speed display was posted at the beginning of a residential street that is legally blocked off from traffic.  The only legal way for traffic to pass the sign would be for a resident to pull out of a driveway and start driving that direction.  Mainly it must have been for traffic driving over the Botts dots for entering the street illegally.

fillup420

Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 05:44:20 PM
A map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

that reminds me of this spot on I-40 in NC. Its at the top of a pretty gnarly descent, and all trucks over certain size are required to stop and observe the warning signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.