News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on January 02, 2024, 05:48:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2024, 04:18:19 PM
It would probably take Bakersfield several decades to even get close growing out towards I-5 on the newly relocated part of 58 west of 43.  Right now and really for the foreseeable future an upgrade isn't necessary.
I don't think the primary purpose of a 58 full freeway extension to I-5 would be to serve the local residents and the properties around there, it would be to serve truckers going between I-5 and I-15 or I-40 in Barstow. If they built it, I think there would be a ton of truck traffic on it.

Perhaps, but it isn't as though most freight doesn't already cut over on 46 and 152.  I'll be curious to see how much gets drawn onto 58 once the Centennial Corridor opens.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Voyager on January 02, 2024, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 30, 2023, 10:37:16 PM
It took me a bit too long to realize that Voyager isn't me.

Sorry but I was first (I made the forum 15 years ago!)

Pulling rank, I see!  :-D 
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sprjus4

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2024, 06:07:13 PM
It would probably take Bakersfield several decades to even get close growing out towards I-5 on the newly relocated part of 58 west of 43.  Right now and really for the foreseeable future an upgrade isn't necessary.
I don't think the primary purpose of a 58 full freeway extension to I-5 would be to serve the local residents and the properties around there, it would be to serve truckers going between I-5 and I-15 or I-40 in Barstow. If they built it, I think there would be a ton of truck traffic on it.

Perhaps, but it isn't as though most freight doesn't already cut over on 46 and 152.  I'll be curious to see how much gets drawn onto 58 once the Centennial Corridor opens.
Given the new Centennial Corridor will be a direct continuation of the CA-58 freeway and will beeline directly for I-5 a few miles west, I would imagine most freight would stick to it. It will be necessary to extend the freeway out to I-5 in the future, or at minimum four lane divided highway.

mrsman

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 05, 2024, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2024, 06:07:13 PM

Given the new Centennial Corridor will be a direct continuation of the CA-58 freeway and will beeline directly for I-5 a few miles west, I would imagine most freight would stick to it. It will be necessary to extend the freeway out to I-5 in the future, or at minimum four lane divided highway.

I agree.  It's easier and desirable for traffic from Barstow to not clog up 99 if headed to I-5.  With the new freeway completion, it will be a thru route, without the need to interchange to 99. 

Concrete Bob

Max Rockatansky

Concrete Bob

Enjoy the maximum spiritual goodness of driving on a freshly-opened freeway!! We don't get to do that in California too much anymore. 

The Ghostbuster

I'm glad they are finally completing and opening the CA 58 Westside Parkway extension from Truxtun Ave. to the CA 99 freeway. I doubt any further upgrades to Stockdale Hwy. will occur anytime soon.

Voyager

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 17, 2024, 12:10:08 PM
I'm glad they are finally completing and opening the CA 58 Westside Parkway extension from Truxtun Ave. to the CA 99 freeway. I doubt any further upgrades to Stockdale Hwy. will occur anytime soon.

I think that'll be dependent on how many trucks/thru traffic start using the new corridor from I-5 (could be a lot more than you'd think), and that roundabout at highway 43 can't handle a ton of volume despite being built not that long ago.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Max Rockatansky

It definitely won't get the truck volume the turbo roundabout at 25/156 does. 

Techknow

Awesome. I remember seeing the Westside Parkway for the first time on Google Maps almost 10 years ago, since it opened in 2014. Now 10 years later it's part of a state route and connects to another freeway!

roadfro

Quote from: Concrete Bob on January 16, 2024, 03:02:57 PM
Centennial Corridor is expected to open in early February.  The ribbon cutting is scheduled for February 2, 2024:

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/construction-disruption-coming-to-an-end-centennial-corridor-set-for-february-completion/article_7066a726-b272-11ee-8906-f36c06fb51d1.html

There's a ribbon cutting, but is there any talk of hosting a community event? Does Caltrans ever do something like that?

Just thinking about comparable NDOT projects (various phases of the Carson City Freeway, I-580 extension between Reno & Carson), where they have celebrated substantial completion of a brand new freeway segment by opening it up for the community about a week or two before the facility opens to traffic. These typically allow people to check out the freeway on foot/bike/scooter/etc. for a few hours on a weekend morning, and they put up display boards about elements of the project (history of the project, any interesting road features, explanation of aesthetics, etc.).

Seems like if Caltrans has spent over $1 billion on this project, they ought to celebrate that a bit. And since it's a project that dove right through a neighborhood, Caltrans ought to be a good neighbor and have an open house before they invite all their loud friends (drivers) over.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2024, 06:00:05 PM

Probably true, but it will still likely get enough truck traffic to overwhelm the existing roundabout.  High volume rural intersections should be converted to grade separations when possible.

While most of 58 between 5 and 99 is currently low volume, the completion of the Westside Parkway will certainly induce more traffic.  I don't believe that a freeway is necessary all the way to 5, but I can certainly appreciate a dual carriage roadway without traffic signals and the occasional grade separation to keep traffic moving.

Voyager

Quote from: mrsman on January 18, 2024, 11:54:34 AM

Probably true, but it will still likely get enough truck traffic to overwhelm the existing roundabout.  High volume rural intersections should be converted to grade separations when possible.

While most of 58 between 5 and 99 is currently low volume, the completion of the Westside Parkway will certainly induce more traffic.  I don't believe that a freeway is necessary all the way to 5, but I can certainly appreciate a dual carriage roadway without traffic signals and the occasional grade separation to keep traffic moving.

If they intended to extend Interstate 40 to Interstate 5, then I think they'd see it differently, but CalTrans seems to disagree with our desires on that one (as seen by the CA 223 intersection).

The Ghostbuster

I doubt Interstate 40 will ever be extended. They should convert the CA 223 intersection into an interchange.

sprjus4

Quote from: Voyager on January 18, 2024, 01:44:56 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 18, 2024, 11:54:34 AM

If they intended to extend Interstate 40 to Interstate 5, then I think they'd see it differently, but CalTrans seems to disagree with our desires on that one (as seen by the CA 223 intersection).
Interstate 40 being extended is a fictional proposal. In reality though, I do feel they should upgrade or construct a freeway segment between the Westside Parkway and I-5.

pderocco

It's obvious that they've already purchased some of the ROW to extend the freeway a half mile south of Stockdale Hwy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9RuBHr1C5mLh2PDj7

Although that's not likely to be built real soon, if that's their eventual intention, I doubt they'll build a grade separation on Stockdale. A traffic light would be more likely, if the roundabout creates a problem.

Plutonic Panda

I mean wouldn't it just be common sense this will eventually extend to I-5 one day?

cahwyguy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 18, 2024, 10:05:50 PM
I mean wouldn't it just be common sense this will eventually extend to I-5 one day?

It will. I posted the following earlier, but I'll post it again. It just may not be freeway all of the way, and it certainly won't be I-40.

In December 2023, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding the following project for which a FEIR and an Addendum have been completed: Centennial Corridor Project. Route 58 and Route 99 in Kern County. Construct a new alignment for Route 58, to provide a continuous route from Cottonwood Road on existing Route 58, east of Route 99 to I-5. Improvements to Route 99, from Wilson Road to Gilmore Avenue, would also be required for the connection with Route 58, in Kern County. (06-Ker-58, PM T31.7/R55.6; 06-Ker-99, PM 21.2/26.2; PPNO 06-8030) The project is located on Route 58 from PM T31.7 to PM R55.6, and on Route 99 from PM 21.2 to PM 26.2, in Kern County. The Department proposes to construct a new alignment for Route 58, to provide a continuous route from Cottonwood Road on existing Route 58, east of Route 99 to I-5. Improvements to Route 99, from Wilson Road to Gilmore Avenue, would also be required for the connection with Route 58. The project is currently programmed in the Trade Corridor Enhancement Program (TCEP). The total programmed amount, which includes Right of Way (Capital), and Construction (Capital) is $13,400,000. Construction began in 2023-2024. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope as programmed by the Commission in the TCEP. A copy of the FEIR has been provided to Commission staff. The Commission approved the project for future consideration of funding on March 21, 2018, under Resolution E-18-30 and August 17, 2023, under Resolution E-23-122A. Since the approval of the FEIR and Addendum, there have been changes to the project and a new Addendum was prepared pursuant to CEQA. These changes include the construction of a southbound Route 99 to westbound Route 58 connector ramp. The ramp would be constructed at the current location of the southbound Route 99 to Stockdale off-ramp. The existing Stockdale off-ramp would be permanently closed. The connector ramp would be a fly-over structure, which would cross over Stockdale Highway, the existing westbound Route 58 to southbound Route 99 loop connector, and Real Road before merging to the westbound Route 58. West of Real Road, an existing retaining wall would be reconstructed to accommodate the new connector ramp. An additional 470-foot auxiliary lane would be constructed on westbound Route 58 to accommodate merging. There are no substantial changes proposed in the new connector ramp that would require major revisions of the FEIR due to involvement of new significant environmental effects or a substantial increase in the severity of previously identified significant effects. The project changes do not meet the criteria outlined in CEQA Guidelines Section 15162 and Section 15163 to prepare a Subsequent or Supplemental FEIR. The Department subsequently completed an Addendum to the FEIR pursuant to CEQA. The Department has approved this project for construction. This approval and the Addendum will satisfy the environmental requirements for this stage of the planning process.
(Source: December 2023 CTC Agenda, Agenda Item 2.2c.(2))
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

mgk920

I agree that it would make sense, but it is for the future and I'm not laying awake at night in the eager anticipation of it being done. Traffic needs and funding availability will dictate its fate and timing.

Mike

rschen7754

Quote from: roadfro on January 18, 2024, 10:47:49 AM
Centennial Corridor is expected to open in early February.  The ribbon cutting is scheduled for February 2, 2024:

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/construction-disruption-coming-to-an-end-centennial-corridor-set-for-february-completion/article_7066a726-b272-11ee-8906-f36c06fb51d1.html

There's a ribbon cutting, but is there any talk of hosting a community event? Does Caltrans ever do something like that?

Just thinking about comparable NDOT projects (various phases of the Carson City Freeway, I-580 extension between Reno & Carson), where they have celebrated substantial completion of a brand new freeway segment by opening it up for the community about a week or two before the facility opens to traffic. These typically allow people to check out the freeway on foot/bike/scooter/etc. for a few hours on a weekend morning, and they put up display boards about elements of the project (history of the project, any interesting road features, explanation of aesthetics, etc.).

Seems like if Caltrans has spent over $1 billion on this project, they ought to celebrate that a bit. And since it's a project that dove right through a neighborhood, Caltrans ought to be a good neighbor and have an open house before they invite all their loud friends (drivers) over.

I was at the opening of CA 52 through Santee several years back. It was a great event.

Max Rockatansky

kkt

Voyager

Quote from: pderocco on January 18, 2024, 10:03:07 PM
It's obvious that they've already purchased some of the ROW to extend the freeway a half mile south of Stockdale Hwy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9RuBHr1C5mLh2PDj7

Although that's not likely to be built real soon, if that's their eventual intention, I doubt they'll build a grade separation on Stockdale. A traffic light would be more likely, if the roundabout creates a problem.

I wonder what that southern ROW is between those subdivisions? I see that they purchased enough space for a diamond interchange at Stockdale at least.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: roadfro on January 18, 2024, 10:47:49 AM

They did do one for the OG opening They had people driving on it during the ribbon cutting but only on the right lane and slowly and half of them were media so probably only for media but thats according to old videos i watched from 2013 2014

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.