News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: rschen7754 on January 19, 2024, 02:34:29 AM
Quote from: roadfro on January 18, 2024, 10:47:49 AM
There's a ribbon cutting, but is there any talk of hosting a community event? Does Caltrans ever do something like that?

Just thinking about comparable NDOT projects (various phases of the Carson City Freeway, I-580 extension between Reno & Carson), where they have celebrated substantial completion of a brand new freeway segment by opening it up for the community about a week or two before the facility opens to traffic. These typically allow people to check out the freeway on foot/bike/scooter/etc. for a few hours on a weekend morning, and they put up display boards about elements of the project (history of the project, any interesting road features, explanation of aesthetics, etc.).

Seems like if Caltrans has spent over $1 billion on this project, they ought to celebrate that a bit. And since it's a project that dove right through a neighborhood, Caltrans ought to be a good neighbor and have an open house before they invite all their loud friends (drivers) over.

I was at the opening of CA 52 through Santee several years back. It was a great event.

I was there too. It was in 2011. I still have the "Sea to Santee" gimme event T-shirt (the organizers generously offered a choice of sizes, not just the usual XL), and it still fits me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

brad2971

Quote from: Concrete Bob on January 16, 2024, 03:02:57 PM
Centennial Corridor is expected to open in early February.  The ribbon cutting is scheduled for February 2, 2024:

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/construction-disruption-coming-to-an-end-centennial-corridor-set-for-february-completion/article_7066a726-b272-11ee-8906-f36c06fb51d1.html

There's a ribbon cutting, but is there any talk of hosting a community event? Does Caltrans ever do something like that?

Just thinking about comparable NDOT projects (various phases of the Carson City Freeway, I-580 extension between Reno & Carson), where they have celebrated substantial completion of a brand new freeway segment by opening it up for the community about a week or two before the facility opens to traffic. These typically allow people to check out the freeway on foot/bike/scooter/etc. for a few hours on a weekend morning, and they put up display boards about elements of the project (history of the project, any interesting road features, explanation of aesthetics, etc.).

Seems like if Caltrans has spent over $1 billion on this project, they ought to celebrate that a bit. And since it's a project that dove right through a neighborhood, Caltrans ought to be a good neighbor and have an open house before they invite all their loud friends (drivers) over.

I was at the opening of CA 52 through Santee several years back. It was a great event.

I was at that same event, and it certainly was a fun time. BTW, Santee (CA) is a fairly unique suburb in that it received it's modern light rail (San Diego Trolley) connection before it received its direct freeway connection. One would have to search long and hard for a similar set of circumstances.

rschen7754

Quote from: oscar on January 20, 2024, 04:35:05 AM

I was there too. It was in 2011. I still have the "Sea to Santee" gimme event T-shirt (the organizers generously offered a choice of sizes, not just the usual XL), and it still fits me.

Unfortunately I don't anymore. It got pretty worn out and I had to throw it out.

Max Rockatansky

A couple new photos of CA 58 westbound approaching the Centennial Corridor Interchange.  All the signs are present but currently covered:

IMG_0829 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0833 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0835 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0837 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

RZF

Those BGSs are beautiful. I'm assuming the through lane control sign will say "58 West - Westside Pkwy" or "58 West - San Luis Obispo" if they're daring enough.

Max Rockatansky

I'm assuming they'll just be "west" given there isn't much else that black cloth could be covering.  That ought to give the road fandom a new control city it will absolutely hate. 

roadfro

Quote from: RZF on January 21, 2024, 04:30:19 PM
Those BGSs are beautiful.

I think we must have different definitions of 'beautiful'... Those APL BGSs have some awfully cramped layouts. (Although I guess under Caltrans' "120-inch maximum panel height and no external exit tab" sign design methodologies, they're probably about the best you can do while making them APLs...)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bobby5280

I certainly don't call those signs "beautiful." The text layouts are cramped, all due to Caltrans trying to use sign panels as short as possible. In another 10 years the panels will be pockmarked with all sorts of patch job work. Then they'll fit in with all the other horrible looking highway signs in California.

Max Rockatansky

It is almost as though vinyl was designed to have a 10 year field life...  But digress, the older button copy design at the same interchange was far more snazzy.

https://flic.kr/p/2kN62Dk

Bobby5280

It depends on the vinyl. The "engineer's grade" computer cut white reflective vinyl commonly used for the sign legends lasts only around 7 years in optimal conditions. Here in Oklahoma I'll see the lettering start cracking and flaking off in as little as 3 or 4 years. The high intensity reflective vinyl used on the backgrounds does last longer (8-10 years) and is quite a bit more expensive.

I think some DOT sign departments are starting to use digital printing methods directly on the high intensity reflective vinyl or printing on clear and applying that over the reflective vinyl. The prints have to be UV laminated. Still, the prints aren't going to get more than about 7 years of life before fading noticeably.

Some of Caltrans' old button copy signs did look good, when the signs were new. Over the years and with various patch jobs to try to extend the sign panel's life the look of them went to hell.

Max Rockatansky

The patch jobs tend to be on 1960s and 1970s era gantries.  The 1990s stuff (including the photo) is still holding very well over time. 

Pertaining to vinyl, the stuff Caltrans installs is fairly durable.  The graffiti sheeting peeling is what makes a lot of the modern signs look bad.  All the same, I look to NDOT for examples of poor vinyl applications.  The entire Las Vegas Metro area is awash in badly fading and contracting vinyl signs.  Numeral overlays in particular are subject to shrinking/contracting a hot weather environments. 

Bobby5280

The expansion and contraction cycle (going from very hot to very cold weather) is a big part of what makes the computer cut reflective lettering fail on BGSes in Oklahoma. The sign panels consist of 12" tall extruded metal bars. The seams in between those bars add a great deal of extra stress to the overlaid vinyl. The background vinyl can take the stress pretty well, but the cheap engineer's grade vinyl cannot. Cracks often start happening horizontally at those seam points.

The Ghostbuster

How long after the missing link of the CA 58 Westside Parkway opens might the existing exits along the Stockdale Hwy.-to-Truxtun Ave. get exit numbers? Hopefully, it won't be too long.

seicer

Ah - that explains all of the issues I've seen seeing on signs across the nation. Many have become downright unreadable at night.

oscar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2024, 07:55:36 PM
How long after the missing link of the CA 58 Westside Parkway opens might the existing exits along the Stockdale Hwy.-to-Truxtun Ave. get exit numbers? Hopefully, it won't be too long.

Most of the existing Westside Parkway exits (Coffee Rd. and points west) have been adopted into the state highway system for some time. If Caltrans were in a hurry to post exit numbers, it could have done so already, without waiting for the missing link to be finished.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

rschen7754

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 08:13:34 AM
The new ribbon cutting event will be on 2/9 at 11 AM.  The public will be able to attend:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02i8LLpBVknKhGASP9imtuZpXJtrBMt7zqaxf525ogSYMepUAeH4TfaGMQPwGe9w11l&id=100064643924143&mibextid=cr9u03

Anything else besides the ribbon cutting? As much as I love one of those, I am not sure I want to drive 5 hours for a 15 minute ceremony.

mgk920

Quote from: rschen7754 on January 26, 2024, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 08:13:34 AM
The new ribbon cutting event will be on 2/9 at 11 AM.  The public will be able to attend:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02i8LLpBVknKhGASP9imtuZpXJtrBMt7zqaxf525ogSYMepUAeH4TfaGMQPwGe9w11l&id=100064643924143&mibextid=cr9u03

Anything else besides the ribbon cutting? As much as I love one of those, I am not sure I want to drive 5 hours for a 15 minute ceremony.

I would think the same way for something like that here in Wisconsin.  NOW, if they were giving out kewl little freebies such as miniature Caltrans-spec route shield fridgie magnets . . .

Mike

Max Rockatansky

I'm unclear if there is any trinkets being given out.  I'm kind of surprised Caltrans District 6 hasn't put out something regarding the opening yet.

Henry

Coming from another thread:

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2024, 12:19:28 AM
This has article has a comedy of errors starting with falsely assuming I-40 will be extended:

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/1-5-billion-centennial-corridor-freeway-project-mere-days-from-completion/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3ZbrsMc1WmMi8cPJSFxxyqe4-QMnUbaH_XK9IcI6qwXADd1GplugwvRP4_aem_AY3-2lSLurHS6goj4LMZUDZvU_Rm_7lfvw0eFegGHi7C2ZYof5xCrAG-YrTe05JWkHU

The article above says that I-40 once ended in Barstow, and now it ends in Bakersfield. Obviously, the reporter has been checking the Fictional Highways thread for various proposals that, AFAIK, are nonexistent. But at least they got it right about the Centennial Corridor being extended to I-5 eventually, and I-40 being 2,500 miles long and connecting to the Atlantic coast in NC. (BTW, Bakersfield to Barstow is 130 miles, and when you add the 2,554 miles to Wilmington, that makes a grand total of 2,684 miles.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

Quote from: Henry on January 26, 2024, 10:09:01 PM

This has article has a comedy of errors starting with falsely assuming I-40 will be extended:

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/1-5-billion-centennial-corridor-freeway-project-mere-days-from-completion/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3ZbrsMc1WmMi8cPJSFxxyqe4-QMnUbaH_XK9IcI6qwXADd1GplugwvRP4_aem_AY3-2lSLurHS6goj4LMZUDZvU_Rm_7lfvw0eFegGHi7C2ZYof5xCrAG-YrTe05JWkHU

The article above says that I-40 once ended in Barstow, and now it ends in Bakersfield. Obviously, the reporter has been checking the Fictional Highways thread for various proposals that, AFAIK, are nonexistent. But at least they got it right about the Centennial Corridor being extended to I-5 eventually, and I-40 being 2,500 miles long and connecting to the Atlantic coast in NC. (BTW, Bakersfield to Barstow is 130 miles, and when you add the 2,554 miles to Wilmington, that makes a grand total of 2,684 miles.)

The "reporter" is actually a deep agent for the Fictional Highways board, getting the idea to the public.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 27, 2024, 12:35:56 AM
Quote from: Henry on January 26, 2024, 10:09:01 PM

The "reporter" is actually a deep agent for the Fictional Highways board, getting the idea to the public.

Fritz changed his tactics regarding taking over the world through mass media to implement "his plans."  I expect the Interstate to North Korea to be announced any day now. 

ROGUE

When this was originally proposed, the Westside Parkway was supposed to continue all the way to I5, rather than dump off onto Stockdale Hwy. Is this still the plan... please say Kern County has not yet again stopped 58  at the foot of a shopping center. They still have a ROW passage between properties... I am really hoping they don't just stop once the 58/99 interchange is opened. Anyone with any knowledge on this?

cahwyguy

Quote from: ROGUE on January 31, 2024, 08:09:51 PM
When this was originally proposed, the Westside Parkway was supposed to continue all the way to I5, rather than dump off onto Stockdale Hwy. Is this still the plan... please say Kern County has not yet again stopped 58  at the foot of a shopping center. They still have a ROW passage between properties... I am really hoping they don't just stop once the 58/99 interchange is opened. Anyone with any knowledge on this?

For the third time in this thread, I'll post the following. Please note that it shows the plans are to extend the corridor, in some form, to I-5.

In December 2023, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding the following project for which a FEIR and an Addendum have been completed: Centennial Corridor Project. Route 58 and Route 99 in Kern County. Construct a new alignment for Route 58, to provide a continuous route from Cottonwood Road on existing Route 58, east of Route 99 to I-5. Improvements to Route 99, from Wilson Road to Gilmore Avenue, would also be required for the connection with Route 58, in Kern County. (06-Ker-58, PM T31.7/R55.6; 06-Ker-99, PM 21.2/26.2; PPNO 06-8030) The project is located on Route 58 from PM T31.7 to PM R55.6, and on Route 99 from PM 21.2 to PM 26.2, in Kern County. The Department proposes to construct a new alignment for Route 58, to provide a continuous route from Cottonwood Road on existing Route 58, east of Route 99 to I-5. Improvements to Route 99, from Wilson Road to Gilmore Avenue, would also be required for the connection with Route 58. The project is currently programmed in the Trade Corridor Enhancement Program (TCEP). The total programmed amount, which includes Right of Way (Capital), and Construction (Capital) is $13,400,000. Construction began in 2023-2024. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope as programmed by the Commission in the TCEP. A copy of the FEIR has been provided to Commission staff. The Commission approved the project for future consideration of funding on March 21, 2018, under Resolution E-18-30 and August 17, 2023, under Resolution E-23-122A. Since the approval of the FEIR and Addendum, there have been changes to the project and a new Addendum was prepared pursuant to CEQA. These changes include the construction of a southbound Route 99 to westbound Route 58 connector ramp. The ramp would be constructed at the current location of the southbound Route 99 to Stockdale off-ramp. The existing Stockdale off-ramp would be permanently closed. The connector ramp would be a fly-over structure, which would cross over Stockdale Highway, the existing westbound Route 58 to southbound Route 99 loop connector, and Real Road before merging to the westbound Route 58. West of Real Road, an existing retaining wall would be reconstructed to accommodate the new connector ramp. An additional 470-foot auxiliary lane would be constructed on westbound Route 58 to accommodate merging. There are no substantial changes proposed in the new connector ramp that would require major revisions of the FEIR due to involvement of new significant environmental effects or a substantial increase in the severity of previously identified significant effects. The project changes do not meet the criteria outlined in CEQA Guidelines Section 15162 and Section 15163 to prepare a Subsequent or Supplemental FEIR. The Department subsequently completed an Addendum to the FEIR pursuant to CEQA. The Department has approved this project for construction. This approval and the Addendum will satisfy the environmental requirements for this stage of the planning process.
(Source: December 2023 CTC Agenda, Agenda Item 2.2c.(2))
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.