Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

The Ghostbuster

I couldn't imagine cycling on a freeway, even if it was closed to all other traffic.

Bobby5280

That reminds me of an event celebrating the 25th anniversary of the opening of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in 1989. They closed down the upper deck to vehicles so people could walk across. It was pretty interesting.

WahooBill

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 01, 2024, 05:21:42 PM
I couldn't imagine cycling on a freeway, even if it was closed to all other traffic.

I still remember cycling on I-805 before it opened to traffic in San Diego in the 70s.  It was a cool experience.

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 31, 2024, 12:00:10 AM
Apparently there will be a cycling day on the Centennial Corridor:

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/california/you-can-cycle-the-centennial-corridor-before-it-opens-to-the-public/?fbclid=IwAR1VxU7Se8QG6n1JBZGeEV3vCNV2SZfWN_OXFERA3mzrDdo6r17YdtBJfRo_aem_AVxrAfRIGdupFYTqX9QWJbq4LJUxPR68N2wd-nScH4ZBfZX7H-Uf06-jXimHemzWP5I

Glad they're doing some kind of public event!

Most people can't. That alone is a great reason to do these kinds of opening events—they really don't cost all that much to put on, and fulfill a unique experience that can only really happen once for a community.

Same goes for walking on a freeway. For Nevada DOT's last few freeway opening events up north, they opened up the freeways to all types of non-motorized travel. Not having non-motorized modes of transport at the time of these events, I ended up walking along I-580 in Carson City from US 50 east interchange to the southern terminus at US 395/50 west (two separate events) and most of I-580 from SR 431 south over the Galena Creek Bridge and almost all the way to Washoe Valley.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

oscar

Quote from: WahooBill on February 03, 2024, 08:11:52 AM
I still remember cycling on I-805 before it opened to traffic in San Diego in the 70s.  It was a cool experience.

I heard of that unopened freeway used for illicit drag racing, around that time when I lived in the area. That made the local cops very unhappy, especially with the risks of high-speed encounters with construction debris.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mgk920

I won't give you all of the 'nitty gritty' in here, but the WI 441 experience became the catalyst for the ongoing development of a comprehensive off-road pathway system here throughout the general Appleton area.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Going for a bike ride on the shoulder of I-17 north of Black Canyon City was suffice to say an exhilarating experience.

ARMOURERERIC

pderocco

Quote from: roadfro on February 03, 2024, 12:21:48 PM

Most people can't. That alone is a great reason to do these kinds of opening events—they really don't cost all that much to put on, and fulfill a unique experience that can only really happen once for a community.

It's funny, I've seen lots of car ads shot on the westernmost section of I-105 south of LAX, and you know they had to close the road for that, probably on a Sunday morning. If they really wanted to, they could make that a regular thing, since there's a reasonable alternate route in Imperial Highway. On the other hand, biking on freeways isn't really that scenic or pleasant, compared, say, to bike paths along the beach or along a river. It's the sort of thing that people only really want to do once, so they can say, "I rode my bike on ____ once".

jdbx

The last time I can remember an event around here that allowed walking on a new stretch of highway was when the new Westbound span of the Carquinez Bridge opened.  There was a big chain-cutting ceremony with Governor Gray Davis who would leave office just a few days later after being recalled. After the dedication ceremony, the crowd then proceeded to walk across the bridge from the Vallejo side, then down the ramp to the Crockett side. I went with my wife, who was less than enthused about being dragged out to this sort of event, but we had a nice lunch afterward at The Dead Fish, so all was not lost. I can't think of any other similar event around here recently.

Max Rockatansky

Barring something unforeseen I'll be attending the dedication Friday.  I've been trying to get to Caliente Creek Road anyways and figure why not see a dedication if it gets me down to Bakersfield?

Max Rockatansky

The Centennial Corridor is now on Google Maps as of this morning.  The Postmile Tool hasn't been updated yet.

The Ghostbuster

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Max Rockatansky

Yes, I started taking photos of everything after I saw that. 

Max Rockatansky

Plutonic Panda

I always thought allowing people to walk and bike first was kinda of common for these types of projects.

Max Rockatansky

pderocco

I'm going to drive it this weekend. I'm curious about the traffic levels, especially truck traffic.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: pderocco on February 10, 2024, 01:40:20 AM
I'm going to drive it this weekend. I'm curious about the traffic levels, especially truck traffic.
i looked at one of the cameras off of Chester facing west on 58 and the sign for 58 west is till taped so idk if its open or not

Max Rockatansky

I was under the impression that the process of getting the road open would take place after the cycling event today.  How long that actually takes?...got me.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2024, 09:19:56 PM
I was under the impression that the process of getting the road open would take place after the cycling event today.  How long that actually takes?...got me.
well ill find out tomorrow if its open

pderocco

Quote from: Lukeisroads on February 10, 2024, 09:22:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2024, 09:19:56 PM
well ill find out tomorrow if its open
I don't see any green (or yellow, orange, or red) lines on the connector yet in Google Maps, so I doubt it's got any cars on it. If I don't see that tomorrow morning, I'll put off my trip from San Diego up to Bakersfield to next weekend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.