News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The thought did occur to me today that I'm likely the only person on the forum who currently has an up to date clinch of CA 58.  Not that I have a Travel Maps account or really keep a good account of Sign Route clinches. 

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2024, 09:56:26 PM
The thought did occur to me today that I'm likely the only person on the forum who currently has an up to date clinch of CA 58.  Not that I have a Travel Maps account or really keep a good account Sign Route clinches. 

Well, until mapcat and oscar clinch the new alignment next week.   ;-) :nod:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 10, 2024, 10:02:36 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2024, 09:56:26 PM
The thought did occur to me today that I'm likely the only person on the forum who currently has an up to date clinch of CA 58.  Not that I have a Travel Maps account or really keep a good account Sign Route clinches. 

Well, until mapcat and oscar clinch the new alignment next week.   ;-) :nod:

The irony was that I wasn't even supposed to be off Friday.  I went in on my original day off to survey storm damage on several buildings I oversee safety for.  I had a choice of Friday or Saturday, the cycling event looked way more cumbersome given my wife was going to likely object to me using her bike rack.

Max Rockatansky

pderocco

So do you think they'll have another ribbon cutting ceremony when they open the road?

TheStranger

Curious:

How well-signed is 58 along Stockdale west of the current Westside Parkway terminus?
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Plutonic Panda

So besides this and CA-71 are there any other new freeway segments in urban California areas that are going to be built?

Max Rockatansky

To my knowledge there isn't anything upcoming.  Even CA 71 basically is an upgrade to an existing expressway alignment.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2024, 07:33:30 PM
To my knowledge there isn't anything upcoming.  Even CA 71 basically is an upgrade to an existing expressway alignment.
Yep. Not even a new alignment freeway. Really a rare opportunity to witness. I'll be driving it next week.

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2024, 05:49:29 PM
Bumped this up in my writing schedule:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/02/the-centennial-corridor-and-west-side.html?m=1

I'm a little confused by the oddity of seeing Exit 23 immediately followed by Exit 110. I'm assuming 110 is based on the total mileage of SR-58 from it's terminus at US-101, and the 23 is measured from where eastern CA-58 branches off of I-5? That just seems strange to me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdbx on February 12, 2024, 01:49:57 PM

https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/02/the-centennial-corridor-and-west-side.html?m=1

I'm a little confused by the oddity of seeing Exit 23 immediately followed by Exit 110. I'm assuming 110 is based on the total mileage of SR-58 from it's terminus at US-101, and the 23 is measured from where eastern CA-58 branches off of I-5? That just seems strange to me.

Exit 23 for Ming Avenue is referring to mileage from 99.  It doesn't make any sense for it be signed the way it presently is.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2024, 01:54:07 PM

Exit 23 for Ming Avenue is referring to mileage from 99.  It doesn't make any sense for it be signed the way it presently is.

This reminds me how at the junction of 99/Business 80/50 in Sacramento, the T Street exit that can only be accessed from 99 north is signed using a Business 80 exit number, at least last time I checked.
Chris Sampang

jdbx

This is the kind of thing that kind of blows my mind re: CalTrans....  not a single person with any authority looked up at those signs and said "Huh, that's not right..."  Or is it that we are such pedants about this sort of thing while your typical CalTrans official doesn't even notice that those are a couple of wildly out-of-sequence exit numbers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdbx on February 13, 2024, 12:05:37 PM

This is the kind of thing that kind of blows my mind re: CalTrans....  not a single person with any authority looked up at those signs and said "Huh, that's not right..."  Or is it that we are such pedants about this sort of thing while your typical CalTrans official doesn't even notice that those are a couple of wildly out-of-sequence exit numbers.

Probably more the latter than the former.  It is weird and I'm sure it will be talked about for years to come.

GaryA

The Ming Avenue exit on 99 is exit 23 (measured from I-5), so if the exit from 58 connects to the existing exit from 99, someone may have thought it logical to give it the same exit number.  (I don't think that's proper, but I can see how someone might have thought so.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryA on February 13, 2024, 12:36:16 PM

The Ming Avenue exit on 99 is exit 23 (measured from I-5), so if the exit from 58 connects to the existing exit from 99, someone may have thought it logical to give it the same exit number.  (I don't think that's proper, but I can see how someone might have thought so.)

That's what I assumed also.  Consider the poor access to Ming otherwise from WB 58.  I suspect that played a factor as to why the EB signage was posted as such.

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2024, 12:20:56 PM

Probably more the latter than the former.  It is weird and I'm sure it will be talked about for years to come.
Yeah, this.  It's important to remember that the vast majority of DOT employees aren't roadgeeks, and of those that are, most of those are not policy makers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on February 13, 2024, 01:00:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2024, 12:20:56 PM

Yeah, this.  It's important to remember that the vast majority of DOT employees aren't roadgeeks, and of those that are, most of those are not policy makers.

There are a few of us with the ability to influence policy, but yes, we are nowhere near the majority. We may make some impact in niche areas or on a local scale. But there are also times when doing our jobs pits us against the hobby as a whole.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

pderocco

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2024, 07:29:15 PM
So besides this and CA-71 are there any other new freeway segments in urban California areas that are going to be built?
There's a mile of 11 down in Otay Mesa that sits there unopened, and will be extended by another 0.5 miles when they get around to building the border crossing. Whooptee doo.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: pderocco on February 13, 2024, 09:09:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2024, 07:29:15 PM
There's a mile of 11 down in Otay Mesa that sits there unopened, and will be extended by another 0.5 miles when they get around to building the border crossing. Whooptee doo.
I had just assumed that that project was pretty much completed and the border crossing was underway. Have they not even started on the border crossing yet?

Concrete Bob

Max Rockatansky

Google still isn't directing traffic on the Centennial Corridor though in route calculations.

luv2drive

I drove from San Jose to Las Vegas on Friday, The entire freeway was not opened, had to follow signs to take Mohawk to Rosedale to 99 South to 58. Today (Monday Feb 19) returning home, the waze directions showed 58 completed, turns into Stockdale Hwy after several miles. Very nice drive.

I used to take 46 or 7th Standard Road to go from 5 to 99 and vice versa returning home. No longer the case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.