News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: US71 on December 22, 2016, 07:14:16 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2016, 05:57:20 PM
I despise "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."  It isn't because of the lyrics of the song its because I find Gayla Peevey's voice extremely grating.  That song has been played repeatedly on TV for the past month and has really gotten on my nerves. 

How do you feel about Bob Rivers "There's Something Up the Chimney" ?   :bigass:

I can't stomach ANYTHING Chistmas by Bob Rivers. In fact he is all 12 Pains of Christmas!

/Hangovers.

1995hoo

The song I'm sick of right now is "My Hero, Zero" because of that Volkswagen commercial. Whoever would have thought that in 2016 I'd have a SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK song stuck in my head on a regular basis because of a car commercial!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 21, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on December 21, 2016, 09:03:37 PM
In general, I do like Taylor Swift, but like many artists she has good songs and bad ones.  I like "I Knew You Were Trouble", and the version of "Bad Blood" without the rap is mega-catchy (though the version with the rap is terrible).  "New Romantics" is a good song through about 2:30 (correct me if I'm off on that), but the third verse falls flat; "Wildest Dreams" just plain isn't a very good song.  It seems a little too raunchy for her.

Actually IMO, "Bad Blood" without the rap is her worst song.  For me, Kendrick Lamar saves the song despite Taylor's lackluster chorus. (especially the part where both perform the bridge)

The thing I hate about this song is how she repeatedly splits one- or two-syllable words across three notes. I feel like if you can't get the syllables to line up with the notes correctly, you should rewrite your lyrics.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J Route Z

It used to be "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. But for some reason, I can't stop listening to it. The guitar solo at the end is so badass, I just didn't really appreciate it before. I can't stand Like a Virgin and Vogue by Madonna.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2016, 07:45:25 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 21, 2016, 06:25:41 PM
Even though I understand it's the holidays and holiday music is played to excess, I really would love it if they would use the great variety out there and not constantly go back to the same handful of standards like this one

http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Ugh.  Well-played, sir, well-played.

US 41

I really like hop-hop and R&B music, but I'm not a big fan of the new song "Black Beetles". I think it's pretty overrated and way overplayed.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2016, 01:21:25 AM
The thing I hate about this song is how she repeatedly splits one- or two-syllable words across three notes. I feel like if you can't get the syllables to line up with the notes correctly, you should rewrite your lyrics.

You think Ms. Swift's polysyllabic tendencies are bad -- the grand master of all time was Steve Perry of Journey.  Listen to any of their albums 1976-82 for countless examples of that trait!

Quote from: J Route Z on December 23, 2016, 02:52:42 AM
It used to be "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. But for some reason, I can't stop listening to it. The guitar solo at the end is so badass, I just didn't really appreciate it before. I can't stand Like a Virgin and Vogue by Madonna.

OK, which version of Lindsey Buckingham's huge riff are you talking about -- the original studio album, where he simply repeated the basic signature E note for each beat for 9 measures (a nice feat in itself), or the 1997 live reunion album, where he did a tremolo-aided multi-note riff (another instant classic solo effort).  LB's one of the great, if underappreciated, guitar maestros -- just listen to his solo on "I'm So Afraid" (both studio & live versions).

renegade

Not really a song, but "you don't have to be lonely at farmers only dot com" is really on my last nerve.
"My Hero Zero," has become quite the earworm, thanks to Volkswagen.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

J Route Z

Quote from: sparker on January 01, 2017, 03:31:42 AM

You think Ms. Swift's polysyllabic tendencies are bad -- the grand master of all time was Steve Perry of Journey.  Listen to any of their albums 1976-82 for countless examples of that trait!

Quote from: J Route Z on December 23, 2016, 02:52:42 AM

OK, which version of Lindsey Buckingham's huge riff are you talking about -- the original studio album, where he simply repeated the basic signature E note for each beat for 9 measures (a nice feat in itself), or the 1997 live reunion album, where he did a tremolo-aided multi-note riff (another instant classic solo effort).  LB's one of the great, if underappreciated, guitar maestros -- just listen to his solo on "I'm So Afraid" (both studio & live versions).
Oh the original of course. I have to YouTube the live album.

Henry

How about the other rocker named Steve (Tyler of Aerosmith)? He did this too, especially on Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, which is actually one of my favorite songs by them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: renegade on January 01, 2017, 12:54:43 PM
Not really a song, but "you don't have to be lonely at farmers only dot com" is really on my last nerve.

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

(is that better? ;) )
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Sorry to grave-dig, but I've found another song I absolutely hate: "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit et al.  It doesn't help that it seems to be the radio's favorite song and I have to hear it every day at work.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

paulthemapguy

Your comment reminds me Journey's "City by the Bay".  "Oh I want to be theyAYAYAYARe in my cit-AAAAYYYY"

Tfw when you've come up with a tune and can't develop suitable lyrics to match.

Quote from: 20160805 on March 11, 2017, 12:53:39 PM
Sorry to grave-dig, but I've found another song I absolutely hate: "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit et al.  It doesn't help that it seems to be the radio's favorite song and I have to hear it every day at work.

I remember when this song was all over the radio...I want to say early 2000's.  This song was nothing special but then it became overplayed as all hell.  So annoying.

One of my favorite things to do now, is whenever I'm listening to the radio and I hear Green Day open their song with "Do you have the time to listen to me whine?" I yell out "NOPE" and change the channel.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

74/171FAN

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 11, 2017, 01:12:22 PM
I remember when this song was all over the radio...I want to say early 2000's.  This song was nothing special but then it became overplayed as all hell.  So annoying.

This song is #24 on the Hot 100 this week and was released as a single on October 21st of last year unless that first statement was also referring to the Green Day song.  I just am not comfortable with a song stating "Rockabye Baby" as it refers to the nursery rhyme.

The songs that are annoying me at the moment are "Play That Song" by Train (I think I preferred the stupid lyrics in "Hey Soul Sister" over these generic lyrics) and "Issues" by Julia Michaels (even if I could fully justify the lyrics, I cannot stand her voice at all).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 11, 2017, 03:30:33 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 11, 2017, 01:12:22 PM

This song is #24 on the Hot 100 this week and was released as a single on October 21st of last year unless that first statement was also referring to the Green Day song.  I just am not comfortable with a song stating "Rockabye Baby" as it refers to the nursery rhyme.

The songs that are annoying me at the moment are "Play That Song" by Train (I think I preferred the stupid lyrics in "Hey Soul Sister" over these generic lyrics) and "Issues" by Julia Michaels (even if I could fully justify the lyrics, I cannot stand her voice at all).

When you mentioned Rockabye, I thought you were mentioning the late 90's Shawn Mullins hit, but then I realized it was called Lullaby.  But now that falsetto "Ever-ee things gonna be alright, Rockabye, Rockabyeye" is stuck in my head.

And the Green Day song that was referred to is called "Basket Case".  Takes me back to my senior year.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thenetwork

Can't stand that Shawn Mullins hit either. 

Youve probably heard the list of songs every rock band must know (i.e. Freebird), but why is it that it seems like every coffeehouse band/artist that does a version of Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit" or Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" automatically gets radio airplay?

inkyatari

Quote from: US71 on February 12, 2017, 09:42:36 PM
Quote from: renegade on January 01, 2017, 12:54:43 PM

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

(is that better? ;) )

It's a world of sorrow,
A world of pain,
It's a world of dreams flushing down the drain...
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

texaskdog

A little bit of Monica...a little bit of Jessica.....

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Rhapsody was pretty good until Wayne's World discovered it
Mann made a career off of old Springsteen songs, but he couldn't even get the words right.

US71

Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2017, 09:30:51 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Rhapsody was pretty good until Wayne's World discovered it
Mann made a career off of old Springsteen songs, but he couldn't even get the words right.
Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2017, 09:28:07 AM
A little bit of Monica...a little bit of Jessica.....

Oh Mickey you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind
Hey, Mickey hey, hey, hey Mickey
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

Quote from: thenetwork on March 12, 2017, 01:08:20 PM

Youve probably heard the list of songs every rock band must know (i.e. Freebird), but why is it that it seems like every coffeehouse band/artist that does a version of Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit" or Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" automatically gets radio airplay?

No kidding, just leave some songs the way the are!!!!  And they are no better so just play the original.

texaskdog

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: texaskdog on March 14, 2017, 01:28:29 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 12, 2017, 01:08:20 PM

No kidding, just leave some songs the way the are!!!!  And they are no better so just play the original.

Speaking of Freebird, I just threw up in my mouth as I thought of that Will to Power "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird" medley.

Also the Jose Feliciano version of Light My Fire (Lightmyfirelightmyfirelightmyfirrrrrrrre) is not the greatest, but not nearly as bad as this:

https://youtu.be/V1Ar79f8aN8
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

Is there a worse song to come out of the 2010s (so far) that Ring 'Round by Jackie Q?

:ded:

Mike

ColossalBlocks

Anything made by Fallout Boy, Blink 182, any of those shitty indy rock bands. Also, modern pop shit. Yuck. Justin Bieber gives me a migraine just by looking at him, and Taylor Swift gives me a sudden urge to behead everyone Mississippi County, Arkansas.  :banghead:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.