News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wyoming

Started by andy3175, November 21, 2014, 12:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

A round of funding was announced on 11/17/14 for various highway projects across Wyoming ...

http://www.forconstructionpros.com/news/12019635/wyoming-transportation-commission-awards-nearly-35-million-in-highway-contracts

- $10.8 million for installing coupled shear piles to stabilize the Hoback North landslide along US 26-89-189-191 about 10 miles south of Jackson. Contract completion by June 30, 2016.
- $10.4 million for a contract to resurface and widen 8 miles of WYO 51 east of Gillette. Work includes widening shoulders to 6 feet. adding a new layer of pavement, installing turn lanes at the highway's intersection with Potter Lane and the entrance to the Black Hills Corp. power plant, upgrading traffic signals at the intersection with Garner Lake Road, and constructing a one-mile bike and pedestrian path. Contract completion by Oct. 31, 2015.
- $6.6 million contract for concrete repairs on 5.9 miles of the eastbound lanes of I-80 east of Walcott Junction. Contract completion by Oct. 31, 2015.
- $3.86 million contract to grind off deteriorating pavement and replace it with a new layer of pavement on 10 miles of US 85 immediately east of I-25 north of Cheyenne. Contract completion by Oct. 31, 2015.
- $2.7 million for pavement rehabilitation on 6.5 miles of WYO 296 (Chief Joseph Highway). The work will include some shoulder flattening, a pavement overlay and a chip seal to the top of Dead Indian Pass about 37 miles northwest of Cody. Work completion by Sept. 30, 2015.
- $518,000 contract for extending sidewalks, curb and gutter on WYO 30-789 in Basin and upgrading sidewalks on WYO 433 to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contract completion by Oct. 31, 2015.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

A round of funding was announced on 12/17/14 by WyoDOT: http://www.dot.state.wy.us/news/transportation-commission-awards-338-million-in-highway-contracts

A 7-mile section of Interstate 90 between the Powder River and the Johnson-Campbell County line will get a new layer of pavement under a $13.2 million contract won by Simon Contractors and Subsidiaries of Cheyenne. The project also will include rehabilitation work on six bridges on the highway section. The contract completion date is June 30, 2017.

High Country Construction of Lander submitted the low bid of $10.3 million for improvements to 4.4 miles of the northbound lanes of Interstate 25 about 5 miles west of Douglas. The work will include milling off deteriorating pavement, replacing it with a new layer of pavement, widening the safety shoulders by 2 feet on each side of the highway and replacing the bridge over La Prele Creek. Northbound traffic will be diverted into one of the southbound lanes in April, and the project is expected to be done by Oct. 31.

Worland's McGarvin-Moberly Construction was the low bidder at $3.7 million for a new 2-inch layer of asphalt on 14 miles of WYO 130 between Centennial and Ryan Park. Parking areas along the highway also will be repaved, and the work is scheduled for completion by Aug. 31.

A 12-mile section of WYO 130 north of Saratoga also will get deteriorating pavement milled off and replaced with a new layer of pavement under a $3.7 million contract won by Mountain Construction Co. of Lovell. The contract completion date is Oct 31.

Both of the WYO 130 projects are among the 14 projects WYDOT plans to begin this year with the additional revenue the department expects to receive from the fuel tax increase that took effect in 2013.

Simon Contractors and Subsidiaries of Cheyenne submitted the low bid of $1.5 million to complete a full-depth reclamation and chip seal on WYO 313 from Chugwater 19 miles east into Goshen County. The full-depth reclamation on 2.5 miles of the section will entail grinding up the existing cracked pavement and using that as a base for a new 3-inch layer of asphalt. The chip seal will cover the entire 19-mile section. Work is not expected to begin until summer and the contract completion date is Oct. 31.

Wilson Brothers Construction of Cowley won a $985,000 contract for landslide repairs along I-90 south of Sheridan. The Marshall Hill slide about 2 miles south of Sheridan will be stabilized by drilling 80 holes 25 feet deep into the unstable soil, filling the holes with crushed rock and compacting the rock. The Meade Creek slide about 3.4 miles further south will get 320 of the stabilizing aggregate columns. Some of the unstable soil on the slopes below the highway also will be replaced with lightweight scoria rock. The contract calls for the slide work to be done by the end of March and all work to be completed by May 31.

JM Concrete of Idaho Falls was the low bidder at $158,000 for a contract to repair timber components under the Fish Creek Bridge on WYO 22 just east of Wilson. The work will include using jacks to lift the bridge deck slightly while it is still carrying traffic, and replacing two rotting timber pile caps under the deck. The work must be done during the winter months when the water level in Fish Creek is low, and the contract completion date is April 30.
Gillette's S&S Builders won a $146,000 contract to repair a concrete girder on a county road bridge over I-90 about 7 miles east of Sundance. The girder was damaged when it was struck by a truck hauling logging equipment. The repairs will include replacing reinforcing steel inside the girder and then patching the concrete. The work is scheduled to be done by Feb. 28.

Contract West Roofing of Salt Lake City was awarded a $34,000 contract to replace the roof on the Star Valley Rest Area on US 89 about 10 miles north of Afton. The contract completion date is March 15.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/news_info/10-cent-fuel-tax-projects.html

WYDOT has committed to using all revenue from the 10-cent fuel tax increase for work to maintain the state's highway system in its current condition. The following list indicates planned projects utilizing these funds, as found on the WyoDOT webpage:

QuoteFY 2015:
1. US 26 - Pavement milling and overlay; 2.4 miles contract awarded
2. WYO 432 - Pavement overlay; 10.1 miles, contract awarded
3. WYO 376 in Rock Springs - Bridge work
4. Various routes - Chip sealing; 15.2 miles, contract awarded
5. US 20-26-87 in Douglas - Pavement overlay; 1.3 miles
6. US 85 - Pavement milling, overlay and chip sealing; 10.1 miles, contract awarded
7. WYO 296 - Pavement overlay; 6.6 miles, contract awarded
  8. US 30-287 - Pavement overlay with widening; 6.6 miles, contract awarded
  9. US 14-16-20 Pavement overlay; 4.4 miles
10. US 287 - Pavement overlay; 4.7 miles, contract awarded
11. WYO 28 - Pavement overlay; 3.9 miles contract awarded
12. WYO 130-230 - Pavement overlay; 12 miles, contract awarded
13. WYO 414 - Pavement overlay; 2.7 miles
14. WYO 130 - Pavement overlay; 14 miles, contract awarded

FY 2016:
1. US 20-26-87 in Casper - Bridge work
2. WYO 220 in Casper - Pavement milling and overlay; 2.4 miles
3. WYO 387 - Pavement overlay; 9.8 miles
4. US 26 - Pavement overlay; 5.1 miles
5. WYO 310 - Pavement overlay; 4.4 miles
6. US 16 - "Microsurfacing" overlay; 7.5 miles
7. US 85 - Pavement overlay; 8 miles
8. WYO 230 - Pavement overlay; 10.2 miles
  9. WYO 296 - Pavement overlay; 13 miles
10. US 14-16-20 in Cody - Pavement overlay; 1.1 miles
11. WYO 270 - Pavement overlay; 10.9 miles
12. US 85 - Chip sealing; 36.1 miles
13. US 20-26 - Pavement overlay; 6.2 miles
14. WYO 24 - Pavement overlay; 9.6 miles
15. WYO 170 - Pavement overlay; 5.7 miles
16. WYO 585 - "Microsurfacing overlay; 10.7 miles
17. WYO 193 - Pavement overlay with widening; 6 miles

FY 2017:
1. WYO 130 - Pavement overlay; 10 miles
2. WYO 10 - Pavement overlay; 9 miles
3. US 20-26-287 in Casper - Pavement overlay; 4.2 miles
4. Various routes - Chip sealing
5. WYO 238 - Pavement overlay; 8.7 miles
6. WYO 335 - Pavement overlay; 6 miles
7. WYO 136 - Pavement overlay; 12.2 miles
8. US 191 - Pavement overlay; 7.2 miles
  9. WYO 230 - Pavement overlay; 9 miles
10. US 16 - Pavement overlay; 8.5 miles
11. US 20 - Pavement overlay; 7.6 miles
12. WYO 120 - Pavement overlay; 11 miles
13. US 287 - Pavement overlay; 6.1 miles
14. WYO 120 - Pavement overlay; 6.2 miles
15. US 14 - Pavement overlay; 0.6 mile
16. WYO 220 in Casper - Pavement overlay; 0.3 miles
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackson_hole_daily/local/jackson-teton-county-may-adopt-transportation-plan/article_bf468db7-a511-5ccc-8128-bacf87ad7d58.html

QuoteTown and county leaders may adopt a transportation plan today that will outline the future of Jackson Hole's roads, pathways and public transit.
The plan has met strong resistance from South Park residents who oppose a new road the plan recommends to link South Park Loop and Highway 22. The plan also calls for doubling of the county's annual subsidy for public transit by 2024.

QuoteAn expanded Highway 22 and a new thoroughfare known as the Tribal Trails connector road are two of the least popular recommendations in the plan. Opponents of the Tribal Trails connector road have gathered nearly 300 signatures from residents who do not want to see it built. Proponents say the road is needed as a backup in the county road network in the event the "Y"  intersection of Highways 89 and 22 – the choke point in county transportation – should close. Advocates also say that the road's construction might induce the Wyoming Department of Transportation to rebuild the "Y"  intersection smaller than sometimes envisioned. A recent WYDOT study showed that the intersection is at its capacity and needs to be enlarged.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Earlier I gave a list of projects funded by the 10 cent fuel tax. An update provided by WyoDOT suggests that several projects have been completed or are in progress as noted below.

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/news_info/10-cent-fuel-tax-projects.html

Completed projects

1.  WYO 28 - Pavement overlay;  9.7 miles
  2.  WYO 28 - Pavement overlay; 10.3 miles
  3.  US 191- Pavement overlay; 7.8 miles
  4.  US 18 - Pavement overlay; 10.2 miles
  5.  WYO 196 - Pavement overlay; 5.5 miles
  6.  US 16 in Worland - Pavement  rehabilitation; 0.1 mile
  7.  US 20 - Pavement rehabilitation; 0.3 mile
  8.  WYO 30 - Pavement overlay; 5.7 miles
  9.  US 16-20 - Pavement overlay; 8 miles
10.  US 14 - Pavement overlay; 7.3 miles
12.  US 89 - Pavement overlay; 3 miles
13.  US 189 - Pavement overlay; 10.2 miles
14.  US 189 - Pavement overlay; 10.5 miles
15.  WYO 116 - Pavement overlay with widening; 5.1 miles
16.  WYO 28 - Chip sealing; 15.3 miles
18.  US 26-287 - Reconstruction; 2.3 miles

Projects underway

11.  Various routes - Bridge work
17.  US 14A in Lovell - Pavement rehabilitation
19.  WYO 433 - Pavement overlay with widening; 3.5 miles

The FY 15-17 project lists are the same as above.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Another article on some of the Wyoming highway upgrades at http://wyomingbusinessreport.com/highways-to-get-14-6m-in-upgrades/. Of interest is the described improvement for the runaway truck ramp on Wyoming 22 on Teton Pass. I'd not heard of this technology before and will have to look for it on US 16 in the Bighorn Mountains above Buffalo on my next visit to the area.

QuoteC.M. Owen Construction of Jackson won a $3.6 million contract to build a runaway truck arrestor system on WYO 22  about 2 miles west of Wilson. The highway's downgrade on the east side of Teton Pass is 9.5 percent, one of the steepest on any Wyoming highway. The CatchNET system to be installed will be similar to one already in operation on US 16 west of Buffalo, which uses a series of arrestor cables to safely stop trucks carrying loads of up to 90,000 pounds and traveling up to 90 mph. That system has been used successfully six times. The contract completion date is Oct. 31, 2016.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

roadfro

Interesting... I've never heard of that system either. On first glance, it sounds kind of like how a cable barrier system works.

I found a link through the article to a WyDOT webpage that has a PowerPoint with a bit more info. Turns out it is more like the jet catch cable system on an aircraft carrier. It actually makes some sense–as opposed to a common traditional stop method of deep gravel or piles of sand, which have to be regraded after every use.

Another interesting tidbit is that there are not too many of these deployed yet. But apparently 2 are in design in Nevada... (Not sure where those might be)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andy3175

Quote from: roadfro on August 24, 2015, 12:27:35 AM
I found a link through the article to a WyDOT webpage that has a PowerPoint with a bit more info. Turns out it is more like the jet catch cable system on an aircraft carrier. It actually makes some sense–as opposed to a common traditional stop method of deep gravel or piles of sand, which have to be regraded after every use.

Great find. I didn't check that link out until after you posted. I am wondering now if Wyoming had innovated this practice, or if it was conceived in another state and borrowed by Wyoming. Either way, it is something totally new to me (most truck ramps I've seen have deep gravel/sand or are long enough to allow a typical speeding truck to slow down, most likely by going uphill). I wonder if these new arrangements are easy to maintain to keep them effective for prolonged periods of nonuse?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Chris

Here's a truck ramp test in North Bay, Ontario with the 'CatchNET' system:

roadfro

Quote from: andy3175 on August 24, 2015, 01:09:34 AM
Quote from: roadfro on August 24, 2015, 12:27:35 AM

Great find. I didn't check that link out until after you posted. I am wondering now if Wyoming had innovated this practice, or if it was conceived in another state and borrowed by Wyoming. Either way, it is something totally new to me (most truck ramps I've seen have deep gravel/sand or are long enough to allow a typical speeding truck to slow down, most likely by going uphill). I wonder if these new arrangements are easy to maintain to keep them effective for prolonged periods of nonuse?
I gotta imagine for a high use escape ramp, installing one of these systems might be more costly initially, but more cost effective in the long run. It seems like this would be much easier/quicker to "reset" than to have to regrade the gravel on the ramp.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andy3175

Found this link that provides environmental studies and related information on the following recent/planned Wyoming highway projects:

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/engineering_technical_programs/environmental_services/Nepa.html

BL 25 and Bus 20-26-87 - improvements to Richards Street and 4th Street in Douglas. Much of Richards St was under construction in summer 2014 and 2015, and that roadwork is likely related to this environmental study.

BL 90 US 14-87 North Sheridan Interchange - reconstruct and relocate the North Sheridan Interchange, including appropriate improvements to I-90 and BL 90 and US 14-87 North Main Street. I did not see any construction evident in summer 2015.

US 14 south (west) of Burgess Junction - improve (widen, overlay pavement, and reconstruct portions of) 11-mile segment of US 14

US 14 Rupe Hill Landslide - realign US 14 due to landslide concerns near Rupe Hill between WYO 24 and Sundance

US 14 Alt - improvements to US 14A, between Cody and Powell (much of this route is currently three to five lanes and surprisingly busy)

US 26-85 Torrington Urban Project - Improve US 85, US 26 and US 26-85 in Torrington by reconstructing and widening US 26-85 and US 26; developing a continuous sidewalk system along US 26 and US 26-85, improving the existing storm drainage system on US 26 and US 26-85, and realigning US 85 with a grade separated crossing of the BNSF Railway tracks (the old alignment became Business US 85). Another thread indicated that the viaduct over the railroad tracks is already complete.

US 26-89-189-191 Hoback Junction - Improve 0.6-mile section of U.S. Highway 26/89, between milepost (MP) 141.4 and 140.7, including the U.S. 26/89, U.S. 189/191, and U.S. 26/89/189/191 intersection and the Snake River Bridge immediately southwest of the Hoback Junction community.

US 26-89-189-191 Jackson South - the expansion of this segment of highway would vary from south to north as described in the Record of Decision:

QuoteThe Selected Alternative combines features of the 3-Lane, 4-Lane, and 5-Lane alternatives that were developed and screened during the EIS process (see Section B). The Selected Alternative includes a three-lane rural cross-section portion that would tie into the three-lane urban section at MP 141.4 immediately north of Hoback Junction. Vehicles traveling north from Hoback Junction in this three-lane rural section would have a general purpose travel lane and a passing lane to improve traffic flow in this uphill section. The three-lane section would extend roughly 0.6 mile to MP 142.0, where it would transition to a four-lane undivided cross-section. This section then would extend 0.5 mile to MP 142.5 and include two northbound travel lanes, one southbound travel lane, and a center turn lane. Next, it would transition to a five-lane rural cross-section. The five-lane rural section would be the longest segment of the Selected Alternative and would continue for 6.1 miles to MP 148.6.

US 89 Etna North - expand roadway from Etna north to Alpine into five lanes (two lanes each direction with center turning lane)

US 287 (Laramie South) - convert 21 miles of highway from two to four lanes in Albany County from Laramie to the Colorado state line (substantial sections of this project are complete including between the state line and Tie Siding)

WYO 59 (Wright to Gillette) - improve 28 miles just south of the Town of Wright and WYO 450 to just north of Bishop Road, about 10 miles south of the City of Gillette, in Campbell County with additional lanes and safety features. Funding is needed to complete many of these improvements.

WYO 59 North Realignment - Alpha Coal West, Inc. submitted a proposal to relocate approximately 4.35 miles of WYO 59 (north of Gillette) to allow mining operations in the vicinity of Eagle Butte Mine to continue. Alpha is financially responsible for the cost associated with evaluating, designing, and constructing the relocated road. WYDOT is responsible for approving the location of the relocated road segment and overseeing design and construction. No federal or state of Wyoming (State) funds will be used to relocate the highway.

WYO 130-230 Harney Street Viaduct - relocate WYO 130-230 from Clark St Viaduct over Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie to a new Harney St Viaduct; demolish Clark St Viaduct

WYO 220 (Muddy Gap to Casper) - reconstruct 12 miles of state highway including Casper South and Narrows sections in Natrona County

WYO 257 (Casper West Belt) - construct new, 7.5-mile highway (WYO 257) between WYO 220 (three miles southwest of Robertson Road) and US 20/26 west of the City of Casper (at the intersection of US 20/26 Shoshoni Bypass and Business 20/26)

Lewis Street Bridge and Related Improvements - replace Lewis Street Bridge over the Little Goose Creek in Sheridan; improve Lewis Street pavement; close the south end of the Marion Street connection to Lewis Street; close the Alger Street connection to Lewis Street; create a parking lot from cut off section of Marion Street; construct bike path connecting to the existing bike path system. This project was under construction when I visited in 2014. As far as I know, this urban street is not a state highway.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

corco

QuoteWYO 130-230 Harney Street Viaduct - relocate WYO 130-230 from Clark St Viaduct over Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie to a new Harney St Viaduct; demolish Clark St Viaduct

I'm convinced this will never actually happen

andy3175

Quote from: corco on August 31, 2015, 12:42:00 AM
QuoteWYO 130-230 Harney Street Viaduct - relocate WYO 130-230 from Clark St Viaduct over Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie to a new Harney St Viaduct; demolish Clark St Viaduct

I'm still trying to figure out where the $$$ is coming from. I haven't located that yet, either. No start date for construction AFAIK.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

brad2971

Quote from: andy3175 on August 31, 2015, 12:25:39 AM
Found this link that provides environmental studies and related information on the following recent/planned Wyoming highway projects:

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/engineering_technical_programs/environmental_services/Nepa.html

BL 25 and Bus 20-26-87 - improvements to Richards Street and 4th Street in Douglas. Much of Richards St was under construction in summer 2014 and 2015, and that roadwork is likely related to this environmental study.

BL 90 US 14-87 North Sheridan Interchange - reconstruct and relocate the North Sheridan Interchange, including appropriate improvements to I-90 and BL 90 and US 14-87 North Main Street. I did not see any construction evident in summer 2015.

US 14 south (west) of Burgess Junction - improve (widen, overlay pavement, and reconstruct portions of) 11-mile segment of US 14

US 14 Rupe Hill Landslide - realign US 14 due to landslide concerns near Rupe Hill between WYO 24 and Sundance

US 14 Alt - improvements to US 14A, between Cody and Powell (much of this route is currently three to five lanes and surprisingly busy)

US 26-85 Torrington Urban Project - Improve US 85, US 26 and US 26-85 in Torrington by reconstructing and widening US 26-85 and US 26; developing a continuous sidewalk system along US 26 and US 26-85, improving the existing storm drainage system on US 26 and US 26-85, and realigning US 85 with a grade separated crossing of the BNSF Railway tracks (the old alignment became Business US 85). Another thread indicated that the viaduct over the railroad tracks is already complete.

US 26-89-189-191 Hoback Junction - Improve 0.6-mile section of U.S. Highway 26/89, between milepost (MP) 141.4 and 140.7, including the U.S. 26/89, U.S. 189/191, and U.S. 26/89/189/191 intersection and the Snake River Bridge immediately southwest of the Hoback Junction community.

US 26-89-189-191 Jackson South - the expansion of this segment of highway would vary from south to north as described in the Record of Decision:

QuoteThe Selected Alternative combines features of the 3-Lane, 4-Lane, and 5-Lane alternatives that were developed and screened during the EIS process (see Section B). The Selected Alternative includes a three-lane rural cross-section portion that would tie into the three-lane urban section at MP 141.4 immediately north of Hoback Junction. Vehicles traveling north from Hoback Junction in this three-lane rural section would have a general purpose travel lane and a passing lane to improve traffic flow in this uphill section. The three-lane section would extend roughly 0.6 mile to MP 142.0, where it would transition to a four-lane undivided cross-section. This section then would extend 0.5 mile to MP 142.5 and include two northbound travel lanes, one southbound travel lane, and a center turn lane. Next, it would transition to a five-lane rural cross-section. The five-lane rural section would be the longest segment of the Selected Alternative and would continue for 6.1 miles to MP 148.6.

US 89 Etna North - expand roadway from Etna north to Alpine into five lanes (two lanes each direction with center turning lane)

US 287 (Laramie South) - convert 21 miles of highway from two to four lanes in Albany County from Laramie to the Colorado state line (substantial sections of this project are complete including between the state line and Tie Siding)

WYO 59 (Wright to Gillette) - improve 28 miles just south of the Town of Wright and WYO 450 to just north of Bishop Road, about 10 miles south of the City of Gillette, in Campbell County with additional lanes and safety features. Funding is needed to complete many of these improvements.

WYO 59 North Realignment - Alpha Coal West, Inc. submitted a proposal to relocate approximately 4.35 miles of WYO 59 (north of Gillette) to allow mining operations in the vicinity of Eagle Butte Mine to continue. Alpha is financially responsible for the cost associated with evaluating, designing, and constructing the relocated road. WYDOT is responsible for approving the location of the relocated road segment and overseeing design and construction. No federal or state of Wyoming (State) funds will be used to relocate the highway.

WYO 130-230 Harney Street Viaduct - relocate WYO 130-230 from Clark St Viaduct over Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie to a new Harney St Viaduct; demolish Clark St Viaduct

WYO 220 (Muddy Gap to Casper) - reconstruct 12 miles of state highway including Casper South and Narrows sections in Natrona County

WYO 257 (Casper West Belt) - construct new, 7.5-mile highway (WYO 257) between WYO 220 (three miles southwest of Robertson Road) and US 20/26 west of the City of Casper (at the intersection of US 20/26 Shoshoni Bypass and Business 20/26)

Lewis Street Bridge and Related Improvements - replace Lewis Street Bridge over the Little Goose Creek in Sheridan; improve Lewis Street pavement; close the south end of the Marion Street connection to Lewis Street; close the Alger Street connection to Lewis Street; create a parking lot from cut off section of Marion Street; construct bike path connecting to the existing bike path system. This project was under construction when I visited in 2014. As far as I know, this urban street is not a state highway.

Well, one thing that's become apparent is that the WYO 59 relocation project is highly unlikely to happen, now that Alpha Coal West's parent company filed for Chapter 11 BK earlier this month. Unless they want to take their chances and see whether or not WYDOT wants to fund it by themselves.

andy3175

http://wyomingbusinessreport.com/wydot-awards-31-9m-in-road-updates/

QuoteContracts totaling $31.9 million for nine highway projects around the state were awarded by the Wyoming Transportation Commission during its October meeting in Cheyenne.

Lewis & Lewis Inc. of Rock Springs won the largest of the contracts with the low bid of $8.7 million for milling off deteriorating pavement and replacing it with a new layer of pavement on a 12-mile section of Interstate 80 about 12 miles west of Green River. The project also will include bridge deck rehabilitation work, and the contract completion date is Oct. 31, 2016.

Casper's Oftedal Construction was the low bidder at $8.1 million for improvements to 3.3 miles of the southbound lanes of Interstate 25 between El Rancho Road and North Cottonwood Creek north of Wheatland. The project will include reconstruction in some areas, widening and new pavement in others, rehabilitation work on four bridges and drainage improvements. The work is expected to be completed by June 30, 2017.

McGarvin-Moberly Construction of Worland won a $6.3 million contract for work on 6 miles of the westbound lanes of I-80 at Walcott Junction. Previous pavement overlays will be removed, and the original concrete pavement will be cracked and seated to provide a base for 5 inches of new asphalt pavement. The contract completion date is Oct. 31, 2016.

Cheyenne's Knife River was awarded a $5.3 million contract to mill off deteriorating pavement and replace it with a new layer of pavement on 10 miles of the eastbound lanes of I-80 about 10 miles west of Laramie. Three bridges on the highway section will get deck rehabilitation work as part of the project scheduled for completion by Oct. 31, 2016.

Five contracts were awarded for crack sealing to preserve the pavement on highway sections around the state. Highway Improvement Inc. of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, won the largest of the contracts with the low bid of $1.5 million for crack sealing on highways in Big Horn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Park and Washakie counties by May 31, 2016.

Highway Improvement also won crack sealing contracts of $570,000 for highways in Converse, Laramie and Platte counties by March 31, $509,000 for highways in Big Horn, Fremont and Park counties by May 31, and $466,000 for WYO 530 south of Green River by April 30.

Hardrives Construction of Billings, Montana, was the low bidder at $487,000 for crack sealing on highways in Campbell, Crook, Johnson, Niobrara, Sheridan and Weston counties by May 31, 2016.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

State funds another $26.4M in road projects (12/21/2015)
http://wyomingbusinessreport.com/state-funds-another-26-4m-in-road-projects/

QuoteSimon Contractors and Subsidiaries of Cheyenne was the low bidder at nearly $6.9 million for improvements to 7.6 miles of Interstate 25 north of the Iron Mountain Interchange north of Cheyenne. The work will include milling off deteriorating pavement and replacing it with a new layer of pavement, replacement of some concrete slabs and rehabilitation work on nine bridges. The contract completion date is Oct. 31.

Hedquist Construction of Mills submitted the low bid of $6.2 million for improvements to two bridges on the US 20-26 west spur in Casper. The bridge over Casper Creek and the BNSF railroad tracks will get new pavement and be widened to match the width of the highway. The bridge over the Old Yellowstone Highway will get a new deck, approach slabs and guardrail. The work is expected to be done by June 30, 2017.

Lander's High Country Construction won a nearly $5 million contract for a pavement overlay, bridge rehabilitation and safety improvements on four miles of US 26 west of Riverton. The work will include rehabilitation of the bridges over Winchester Draw and the Big Wind River, flattening of shoulder slopes and a final chip seal. The project will be paid for with revenue from the 10-cent fuel tax increase, and the contract completion date is June 30, 2017.

Cheyenne's Knife River won the contract for another of the projects to be funded through the fuel tax increase with the low bid of $3.5 million to add passing lanes at five locations on US 20-26 between Casper and Waltman. Three of the passing lanes will be for eastbound traffic, and two for westbound. The work is scheduled to be complete by Oct. 31.

The third 10-cent-fuel-tax project went to Simon Contractors and Subsidiaries, with the low bid of $3.2 million to mill off deteriorating pavement and replace it with a new layer of pavement on eight miles of US 85 about 12 miles northeast of Cheyenne. The work also will include drainage improvements to prevent water from covering the highway during rainstorms, and the contract completion date is Oct. 31.

The three projects are among 14 WYDOT plans to begin in 2016 with the additional revenue the department expects to receive from the fuel tax increase that took effect in 2013. Twenty-five projects have already been completed with the additional fuel tax revenue.

Lewis and Lewis of Rock Springs won a $1.65 million contract for patching to extend the life of the pavement on sections of I-80 and WYO 372 in Sweetwater County, US 89 in Lincoln County, and US 191 in Teton County by Oct. 31.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Work underway on Union Pacific Railroad and Bitter Creek bridges from April to October 2016 along WYO 376 in Rock Springs:

http://sweetwaternow.com/bridge-work-begins-south-belt-loop/

QuoteThe Wyoming Department of Transportation will be conducting some bridge rehabilitation work on three bridges over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and the Bitter Creek on the WYO 376 Belt Loop. Work on all three bridges will take place over the course of the spring and summer months and will include lane closures, reduced lane size and even a temporary bridge closure.

The first bridge slated for work is located over the UPRR tracks next to Rock Springs High School on the WYO 376 Belt Loop.

WYDOT and contract crews will begin setting up traffic control in April for the duration of the work. This work may affect traffic to and from Rock Springs High School. However, the high school bridge will not be closed throughout the duration of the work. ...

Work on the two bridges that connect Dewar Drive and Blair Avenue near Chopstix and AutoZone will follow, tentatively in June. The bridge over the UPRR tracks will receive a complete deck replacement while extensive rehabilitation work will take place on the second bridge.

Due to the nature of the work on these two bridges, both bridges will be completely closed to traffic during the course of work. WYDOT has set a 60 calendar day window for the closure. WYDOT does not anticipate the closure overlapping into the school year, but there is always the possibility of the work exceeding the 60-day window.

As that time approaches, WYDOT will notify the city of any schedule changes and extensions. Residents of the West Center Street area and patrons of the Animal Control Center and the Rock Springs Dog Park will still retain access for the duration of the closure.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Earlier, we'd discussed the distance for a gas station on Interstate 25 from Cheyenne north through Chugwater to Wheatland (see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11581.msg281414#msg281414, where the primary topic was the lack of services on I-70 in Utah). Chugwater used to have a gas station until 2012, when an accident destroyed it and left Chugwater (and a long stretch of I-25 between Cheyenne and Wheatland) without a gas station. Efforts are underway to reconstruct the gas station at Chugwater using Community Development Block Grants. WYDOT has concerns about the access point for the gas station off of Business Loop 25 in Chugwater, so much of the town council discussion surrounded the added cost of making changes to the entrance to the gas station.

http://www.pcrecordtimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=72&story_id=4260

QuoteOn Monday (March 14, 2016), the Chugwater Town Council held a special meeting to discuss a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), which would allow for the development of an abandoned business property within city limits.

The property was the site of Horton's Corner, a gas station that was destroyed in an accident in 2012. Since then, the community has seen a decrease in the local economy.

The CDBG grant would provide the Town of Chugwater with $407,000 to purchase the property. A private business owner would then lease the property from the Town for five years, during which time, the owner would be responsible for the construction of a new fuel station.

After five years, the property ownership would be transferred to the business owner. ...

Mark Williams from WYDOT attended the meeting to address questions regarding an access permit to the property. According to Williams, the current access point to the station might not meet WYDOT requirements, and it could require major construction to move the access point across from the rest stop in Chugwater.

Moving the access point could add a significant expense to the overall project, however, and Councilmembers expressed concern that this could drive away potential bidders.

"From our standpoint, we are just trying to get someone to take this business and get it more or less back the way it was,"  Councilman Kenneth Clark said. "That is the whole problem. As it is now, no one can afford the property — that is why we have been without a gas station for two or three years."  ...

Clark suggested that leaving the access point where it currently sits would help keep costs for the developers down, and encourage the project.

Williams emphasized that, while WYDOT felt that the current access point would not work for a future development, it would be open to alternative suggestions. ...

After going into executive session, the Council unanimously gave a preliminary approval and acceptance of the grant, subject to further investigation.

Upon accepting the grant, the Town will proceed to make an offer on the property, and complete the purchase of the land. After purchase of the property is complete, the project will be open to bid for two weeks, and a final bid will be accepted during a special meeting, with dates to be announced.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

More Wyoming highway improvements, approved in February 2016:

http://www.wyomingbusinessreport.com/wyo-funds-12-4m-in-road-construction/?refresh=1

- WYO 330 - West Fifth Street - Sheridan - roadway reconstruction from Mydland Road west to the end of the paved section
- US 20 Bridges over Casper Creek and C&NW railroad tracks - bridge rehab
- F Street Bridge over the Platte River in Casper will get a new expansion joint
- I-80 Uinta County - bridge rehab
- US 310 - 4.5-mile repaving around the Little Dry Creek Bridge about 7 miles northwest of Greybull
- US 20-26 from Casper to Shoshoni, US 26/WYO 789 between Shoshoni and Riverton, and WYO 789 between Riverton and Lander - 30-mile chip seal
- Business 80 and US 30 - Grand Avenue from 30th St to I-80 - Laramie; Business 80 and US 30 Lincolnway from College Drive to Pershing Blvd, WYO 211 Horse Creek Rd, and WYO 215 south of Albin - pavement repairs
- I-80 between Cheyenne and Pine Bluffs - concrete slab replacement
- Business 80 and US 30-287 - concrete slab replacement at the intersection of Third Street and Curtis Street in Laramie
- US 30 - bridge rehab about 5 miles south of Kemmerer
- US 26-89 - deck sealant bridge over the Snake River south of Hoback Junction
- US 14 - add new lane for eastbound traffic turning left onto Ranchester Five Mile Road to access the new elementary school
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

brad2971

Quote from: andy3175 on April 18, 2016, 01:36:46 AM
Earlier, we'd discussed the distance for a gas station on Interstate 25 from Cheyenne north through Chugwater to Wheatland (see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11581.msg281414#msg281414, where the primary topic was the lack of services on I-70 in Utah). Chugwater used to have a gas station until 2012, when an accident destroyed it and left Chugwater (and a long stretch of I-25 between Cheyenne and Wheatland) without a gas station. Efforts are underway to reconstruct the gas station at Chugwater using Community Development Block Grants. WYDOT has concerns about the access point for the gas station off of Business Loop 25 in Chugwater, so much of the town council discussion surrounded the added cost of making changes to the entrance to the gas station.

http://www.pcrecordtimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=72&story_id=4260

QuoteOn Monday (March 14, 2016), the Chugwater Town Council held a special meeting to discuss a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), which would allow for the development of an abandoned business property within city limits.

The property was the site of Horton’s Corner, a gas station that was destroyed in an accident in 2012. Since then, the community has seen a decrease in the local economy.

The CDBG grant would provide the Town of Chugwater with $407,000 to purchase the property. A private business owner would then lease the property from the Town for five years, during which time, the owner would be responsible for the construction of a new fuel station.

After five years, the property ownership would be transferred to the business owner. ...

Mark Williams from WYDOT attended the meeting to address questions regarding an access permit to the property. According to Williams, the current access point to the station might not meet WYDOT requirements, and it could require major construction to move the access point across from the rest stop in Chugwater.

Moving the access point could add a significant expense to the overall project, however, and Councilmembers expressed concern that this could drive away potential bidders.

“From our standpoint, we are just trying to get someone to take this business and get it more or less back the way it was,” Councilman Kenneth Clark said. “That is the whole problem. As it is now, no one can afford the property – that is why we have been without a gas station for two or three years.” ...

Clark suggested that leaving the access point where it currently sits would help keep costs for the developers down, and encourage the project.

Williams emphasized that, while WYDOT felt that the current access point would not work for a future development, it would be open to alternative suggestions. ...

After going into executive session, the Council unanimously gave a preliminary approval and acceptance of the grant, subject to further investigation.

Upon accepting the grant, the Town will proceed to make an offer on the property, and complete the purchase of the land. After purchase of the property is complete, the project will be open to bid for two weeks, and a final bid will be accepted during a special meeting, with dates to be announced.

Let's see now: $407000 for what is, essentially, a vacant lot. In hopes that someone will lease the property to operate a gas station that isn't needed at the moment. IDK, maybe WYDOT, in its own bureaucratic way, is simply trying to save the Town of Chugwater from making an incredibly silly decision. Especially in a time where Wyoming's local governments cannot be that shortsighted with money, regardless of source.

sipes23

Quote from: andy3175 on April 20, 2016, 12:36:31 AM
- F Street Bridge over the Platte River in Casper will get a new expansion joint

It so needs it, but please come after they've finished the I-25 and Poplar thing.

andy3175

Quote from: corco on August 31, 2015, 12:42:00 AM

Latest on this project from the Laramie Boomerang (6/25/2016)...

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/local_news/harney-street-bridge-construction-to-start-in/article_b6d0e9f4-3a90-11e6-918a-173f44cde22d.html

QuoteConstruction on the long-awaited Harney Street Bridge – a $28.6 million project designed to connect traffic with Snowy Range Road and replace the aging Clark Street Viaduct– is expected to begin in early 2017 ...

"It'll take two years to build it, and then the last year will be the third year, is when we take down the Clark Street (bridge), which will be in 2019,"  (district engineer Tom) DeHoff said. "Hopefully we'll have everybody over to the new Snowy Range Road in 2018, so October of "˜18."  

I am also surprised this is happening, yet I'm pleased to see the viaduct is getting replaced.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sipes23

Quote from: andy3175 on April 20, 2015, 12:31:43 AM
https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/news_info/10-cent-fuel-tax-projects.html

WYDOT has committed to using all revenue from the 10-cent fuel tax increase for work to maintain the state's highway system in its current condition. The following list indicates planned projects utilizing these funds, as found on the WyoDOT webpage:

FY 2016:
11. WYO 270 - Pavement overlay; 10.9 miles

I drove this one today. It looks like it is about 75% done. And it's nice. I know it's a relatively pedestrian sort of fix, but it was a nice drive.

andy3175

Latest update on the WYO 130-230 Harney Street Viaduct is that the contractor is seeking a turbidity waiver.

QuoteWYDOT's contractor, S&S Builders, requested a waiver from the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality on Dec. 7 for a temporary increase in turbidity in the Laramie River while they work on widening the Laramie River Bridge on Snowy Range Road as part of the Harney Street Bridge project and completing substructure work in the riverbed. During a 10-working-day period slated to start in January, the permit would allow the contractor an exceedance of the limit normally set for the Laramie River, Waterstreet said.

The bridge, which is located east of the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site on Snowy Range Road, will be widened to four lanes, said Steve Cook, WYDOT resident engineer in charge of the project. ...

For some projects, the contractors need to acquire a Section 404 of the Clean Waters Act permit from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which ensures the work will significantly degrade the waterway, the Environmental Protection Agency website says. The Harney Street Bridge project was issued a Section 404 permit before S & S Builders requested a turbidity waiver.

"It's not uncommon for certain projects to have additional protections such as cofferdams,"  he said. "But typically a bridge project, or at least in our experience with them – they haven't resulted in any types of impacts that we're concerned with."

Because the public is more sensitive to work in some waterways around the state, the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality accepts public comments as part of the permit issuing process.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Changes to the Y intersection between US 26-89-189-191 and WYO 22 in Jackson:

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/review-will-consider-bikes-walkers-at-y/article_c0d115f2-c4e1-5011-b627-8f4a44c15e7e.html

QuoteWYDOT recently announced work on the "Y"  was moving along on its schedule with a new configuration planned for next fall. Changes include adding a second left-turn lane from northbound Highway 89 onto 22 and eliminating straight and left-turn traffic for vehicles heading west on Buffalo Way toward the intersection.

The new design eliminates two "free right"  turn lanes, one that runs alongside the Pony Express Motel and the other along Cutty's Bar and Grill. Free rights function as on-ramps, allowing drivers to merge into traffic instead of stopping at a light before making a turn.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.