News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2017, 11:15:14 AM
Quote from: bigdave on February 14, 2017, 11:09:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2017, 11:59:38 PM
^^^^

Well hell...that's a rare one with 74.  It has been two days since that initial article and it isn't even on the quickmap:

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

You know, maybe the drought wasn't so bad.   :bigass:

Probably a lot of people from Oroville are saying that right now. 

With all the increased releases from Oroville in an effort to lower the lake level, quite a few low lying areas downstream of there have taken on additional water and have flooded. It will be interesting to see how things hold up in the next few days through the storms that are coming through the end of the week. The Caltrans twitter feed (https://twitter.com/CaltransHQ) continues to provide updates on road closures, with SR 70, 99, and 162 being affected over the past few days to varying degrees.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sparker

Quote from: andy3175 on February 15, 2017, 11:40:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2017, 11:15:14 AM
Quote from: bigdave on February 14, 2017, 11:09:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2017, 11:59:38 PM
^^^^

Well hell...that's a rare one with 74.  It has been two days since that initial article and it isn't even on the quickmap:

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

You know, maybe the drought wasn't so bad.   :bigass:

Probably a lot of people from Oroville are saying that right now. 

With all the increased releases from Oroville in an effort to lower the lake level, quite a few low lying areas downstream of there have taken on additional water and have flooded. It will be interesting to see how things hold up in the next few days through the storms that are coming through the end of the week. The Caltrans twitter feed (https://twitter.com/CaltransHQ) continues to provide updates on road closures, with SR 70, 99, and 162 being affected over the past few days to varying degrees.

Upstream from Oroville, there's also been substantial damage to the main UP RR line through the Feather River Canyon (shared with CA 70).  Trackage has been washed away by "feeder" creeks (that normally ducked under the tracks in culverts) to the point that the tracks, with their concrete ties still attached, are suspended in midair from the sides of the washouts.  As this is their main container-train line from the east (Donner Pass, the alternative, has limited vertical clearance due to snowsheds), freight traffic in and out of CA has been severely curtailed or rerouted south via Bakersfield and Barstow.  It's likely that the line won't be back in service until sometime in April at the earliest. 

coatimundi

I'm curious if this genuinely surprises anyone. I mean, I remember most of the same shit going down in, I believe, '95 (I read this morning that the Salinas River is expected to hit its '95 level this weekend, so I assume that's the year), but I think that was more south because I recall a lot of video of Malibu homes relocating themselves. It's just that, thus far, I've been surprised by people being surprised by it. Who would have thought that the tallest dam in the country would have an issue during significant rain? Who would have thought that building a highway across erosion-prone hills would result in a portion being washed away?
Is this just me?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 16, 2017, 08:39:44 PM
I'm curious if this genuinely surprises anyone. I mean, I remember most of the same shit going down in, I believe, '95 (I read this morning that the Salinas River is expected to hit its '95 level this weekend, so I assume that's the year), but I think that was more south because I recall a lot of video of Malibu homes relocating themselves. It's just that, thus far, I've been surprised by people being surprised by it. Who would have thought that the tallest dam in the country would have an issue during significant rain? Who would have thought that building a highway across erosion-prone hills would result in a portion being washed away?
Is this just me?

I'm sure that it did catch people off guard.  Don't forget all the local media in California has been doing is beating drought and reservoir levels into people's heads for the last decade.  You'd swear that most of the state wasn't desert or as about close to from the way people always talk about water.  Most Central Valley cities receive less than 15 inches of rain annually, really it is on the coast that gets anything significant....although cities like San Francisco don't pull annuals over 25. 

coatimundi

And I-5 is totally shut down in Williams due to flooding. It has been for most of the day. Pretty serious, but at least there are alternative routes. Then SR 20 is currently closed just west of there.

Looks like fun:

Maybe this the state's initial attempt to separate from the rest of the country?

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

I like how that picture is updating with a live feed.  Right now it is pitch black asides from the mass of headlights facing the camera.

Quillz

Based on the latest update of that photo, seems I-5 is open now. Traffic moving in both directions.

coatimundi

Caltrans' assessment of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is, apparently, "beyond repair." So the only way into southern Big Sur and Posts will be on foot or boat for a while, and heading south to there from Carmel will be impossible for the foreseeable future.
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/food_blog/update-big-sur-landmark-restaurants-among-those-caught-in-landslide/article_346c78ea-f2df-11e6-83de-674dfa787e3d.html

This is likely going to be a death blow to a lot of businesses down there. It's normally really slow this time of year anyway (except for the golf tournament), but there's no way normalcy will return by summer.

Max Rockatansky

On the plus side it will probably kill a lot of tourist traffic heading north because you'd have to double back.  Should make for a more interesting trip once I can get up that way presumably in the next 30-45 days.  I'd love to get a couple pictures of the Challenger at the Bixby Bridge with no crowds.  Still sucks for the business owners, that will probably sink a ton of them.  I'd say that tops the slide on 35/Skyline for road damage on the coast this year.  Should be something pretty unique for anyone willing to go all that way and double back though.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 12:00:56 PM
On the plus side it will probably kill a lot of tourist traffic heading north because you'd have to double back.

You're right. I don't normally even get close to Pfeiffer park on weekends on the summer, but will probably go down there for hiking in a couple of months once it dries out a bit, just because I can't imagine the crowds are going to be very thick this year, and it'll certainly be nice and green. Maybe the restaurants in Big Sur will start running specials so that they'll just be in the "expensive" instead of the "WTF is this" range.

kkt

It looks like a pretty "standard plans" bridge.  Maybe they'll have a replacement in by summer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 22, 2017, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 12:00:56 PM
On the plus side it will probably kill a lot of tourist traffic heading north because you'd have to double back.

You're right. I don't normally even get close to Pfeiffer park on weekends on the summer, but will probably go down there for hiking in a couple of months once it dries out a bit, just because I can't imagine the crowds are going to be very thick this year, and it'll certainly be nice and green. Maybe the restaurants in Big Sur will start running specials so that they'll just be in the "expensive" instead of the "WTF is this" range.

Yeah I'm trying to convince some family to come out here this year and that is one of the big carrots with Big Sur.  Sure would be a lot more scenic and memorable if it is basically just local people on the coastline.  Another plus is that it sounds like Monterey County Sheriff pretty much yanked everyone south of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge.  I always hated how the heavy law enforcement feel once you get north of Bixby Creek.  Might be good for some camping too provided that doesn't get shut down on 1.

Really for me and my specific circumstance this could be a boon.  A nice quiet coastal drive is something I'm always up for.  Besides I already got G16 in this year so it isn't like I'm clamoring for anything up near Monterey.  All I really care about this weekend is if 129 gets cleared by Friday.

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2017, 01:04:31 PM
It looks like a pretty "standard plans" bridge.  Maybe they'll have a replacement in by summer.

I do wonder if Caltrans has any Furgusson Slide style one-lane temporary bridges still available.  Reopening 1 would probably be on the short list of when they would probably use a temporary solution given the economic and tourism hit.

AsphaltPlanet

I have to think that Caltrans could drop a temporary modular bridge into place in fairly short order.  Perhaps not for the duration of the rainy season, due to concerns about erosion on the bridge embankments, but during the dry part of the year, a new bridge could be erected withing a few weeks if not sooner.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 01:06:58 PM
I always hated how the heavy law enforcement feel once you get north of Bixby Creek.

What?

Might be good for some camping too provided that doesn't get shut down on 1.

It should be a good year to go camping down there. Most of the spots are typically reserved well in advance, and the few walk-in spots that exist (don't remember if they're at Pfeiffer or at Garapata) require careful planning to snag, so all the news about Big Sur being closed has likely already made long-distance tourists alter their plans. I've been seeing that reflected on TripAdvisor. People don't know what's going to happen, so they don't want to book anything.

coatimundi

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 22, 2017, 01:18:58 PM
I have to think that Caltrans could drop a temporary modular bridge into place in fairly short order.  Perhaps not for the duration of the rainy season, due to concerns about erosion on the bridge embankments, but during the dry part of the year, a new bridge could be erected withing a few weeks if not sooner.

It'll be a while. The stability of the hill is going to have to be studied once the rain finally stops (it's supposed to rain again this weekend) and, even then, I don't think it'll be safe by summer. This isn't the Sierras. Even in dry years the ground is really unstable in that region.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 22, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
I always hated how the heavy law enforcement feel once you get north of Bixby Creek.

What?

Might be good for some camping too provided that doesn't get shut down on 1.

It should be a good year to go camping down there. Most of the spots are typically reserved well in advance, and the few walk-in spots that exist (don't remember if they're at Pfeiffer or at Garapata) require careful planning to snag, so all the news about Big Sur being closed has likely already made long-distance tourists alter their plans. I've been seeing that reflected on TripAdvisor. People don't know what's going to happen, so they don't want to book anything.

Every time I've taken 1 north through Big Sur there is a ton of Sheriff's and CHP presence north from the Bixby Bridge, through Carmel to where the freeway begins.  Last time I counted 12 County Sheriff vehicles and two CHP.  Granted tourism usually leads to problems with people misbehaving, other roads like 41 north of Fresno get like that during the season...especially with CHP.  Definitely necessary to step up enforcement during tourist season but not the most inviting feeling to see so many squad cars.

Speaking of that those CHP patrols on 41 can be ruthless on weekends.  I had one officer follow me all the way from the Sugarpine Railroad all the way to the boundary to Yosemite.  It wasn't exactly easy to speed going uphill anyways north of Oakhurst, so really I'm not sure if he was even looking to tag me or get a downhill speeder?

I'm sure it would certainly be easier to find a spot.  I'm sure reservations would be a cinch this year provided a camp ground doesn't close down.  Might be worth the investment of time to do a couple days out there, especially if there is some decently priced rates due to the road closure. 

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: coatimundi on February 22, 2017, 01:23:21 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 22, 2017, 01:18:58 PM

It'll be a while. The stability of the hill is going to have to be studied once the rain finally stops (it's supposed to rain again this weekend) and, even then, I don't think it'll be safe by summer. This isn't the Sierras. Even in dry years the ground is really unstable in that region.

I just had a look at the bridge site on google maps.  It's a longer bridge than I was thinking, so I agree, replacement isn't as easy as I would have thought.

That said though, it can be surprising what kind of spans modular (bailey) bridges can make.  I recall several years ago their was a partial deck failure of the Latchford Bridge in Ontario.  The Latchford Bridge is a similar span length as this bridge, and is situated immediately downstream of a dam, which hampered the ability of the temporary bridge to have a central pier due to the fast flowing water.  The Latchford Bridge failed within a record cold snap during the winter of 2003, and a temporary bailey bridge was brought into service within a few weeks.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 01:28:34 PM
Every time I've taken 1 north through Big Sur there is a ton of Sheriff's and CHP presence north from the Bixby Bridge, through Carmel to where the freeway begins.  Last time I counted 12 County Sheriff vehicles and two CHP.  Granted tourism usually leads to problems with people misbehaving, other roads like 41 north of Fresno get like that during the season...especially with CHP.  Definitely necessary to step up enforcement during tourist season but not the most inviting feeling to see so many squad cars.

I go down there all the time, and I think I've seen one MCSO car total. CHP generally patrols that area and you do see them a lot, but more in the summer. They get a lot of calls there at that time though. People block the road, especially by Point Lobos and the Bixby Bridge overlook, and there's just a lot of stupid shit that people do in that area. Plus, the highway is just dangerous. When you have people creeping along trying to enjoy the scenery and then some douchebags come up trying to fly around them, then you have issues. I don't understand why people go down there if they're in a hurry. CHP also typically patrols at night, telling people to leave the pull-offs as they're trying to sleep there.

More on the bridge closure from the local daily: http://www.montereyherald.com/general-news/20170221/rain-takes-its-toll-pfeiffer-canyon-bridge-condemned

Kniwt

Here's a pic from Caltrans that shows why the bridge is toast:

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised the bridge totally hasn't slid down the hill with that lean....

Speaking of 41, it is closed between Oakhurst and Yosemite because of a slide out:

http://dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/sr41

https://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

kkt

Quote from: Kniwt on February 22, 2017, 07:34:41 PM

Ooo, that's not good.  I'm surprised they're letting emergency vehicles cross.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2017, 11:14:35 PM

They aren't, read the second article Coatimundi posted in reply 267.  I wouldn't even want to walk across that thing in that shape.

compdude787

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2017, 01:04:31 PM

It looks like one built in the early-70s or something. So at least it wasn't like a really historic arch bridge from the 30s.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 11:40:22 PM
Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2017, 11:14:35 PM

They aren't, read the second article Coatimundi posted in reply 267.  I wouldn't even want to walk across that thing in that shape.

I see, I must have read the account from when they were still allowing emergency vehicles across earlier today.

Henry

I can see if it was damaged in an earthquake, but a mudslide? It must've been built over very poor land for that to happen.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.