News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 08:56:53 PM
I'm surprised the bridge totally hasn't slid down the hill with that lean....

That is apparently exactly what's going to happen.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/23/highway-1-pfeiffer-canyon-bridge-deterioration-continues/

QuoteThe bridge sunk a couple of feet overnight due to active landslides created by historic amounts of rain. ... "Obviously it's going down by itself at a pretty good rate now,"  said David Galarza, Caltrans' structure representative for the project. "As time progresses, we will continue to assess if we want to assist it in it coming down to the ground."

Max Rockatansky

I would think that leaving it standing out just draw people out there to take pictures, probably best just to assist it falling over.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2017, 09:50:56 AM
I would think that leaving it standing out just draw people out there to take pictures, probably best just to assist it falling over.

The problem with an uncontrolled demolition (i.e. - letting it fall over by itself) is that, then, the pieces are scattered in places that may be hard to reach. Since this in the Coastal Commission's immediate realm and in such a high-profile area, there's a lot of spotlight on how Caltrans is handling it. Falling over on its own would be a pretty serious black-eye to them.

SR 156 between Castroville and Prunedale is closed today from 9am to 5pm. My co-worker who lives in Prunedale mentioned that the eucalyptus grove near 101 saw a lot of downed trees, so the tree removal and trimming what is happening out there. The news mentioned that Oak Hills residents (who can only reach their homes via 156) are going to be allowed in and out during the closure.
Blackie Road, the local secret alternative, is also closed.
A lot of people in Prunedale also still have no power.

SR 68 was also at one lane near Corral de Tierra yesterday for work on a damaged culvert.

I can't find the actual story online, but the news had video of Soquel-Santa Cruz Road this morning and it's reportedly sunk an additional four feet. Santa Cruz County is saying they have something like 130 road damage reports with repairs estimated now at $30 million. In Monterey County, including the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, it's estimated at $45 million.
http://www.kion546.com/news/cleaning-up-winter-storms-in-santa-cruz-county-will-not-be-cheap/352543398

AsphaltPlanet

^ It would be difficult to stage a controlled demolition at this point though.  Because of the advanced rate of deterioration on the bridge, it doesn't look like it would be safe to drive any sort of equipment either on top of, or underneath of, the existing bridge.  Doesn't look like they'll be an easy way to retrieve the rubble from the canyon floor regardless of how it's removed.

Crazy picture.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kkt

Quote from: Henry on February 23, 2017, 09:41:36 AM
I can see if it was damaged in an earthquake, but a mudslide? It must've been built over very poor land for that to happen.

Yes, coastal California is difficult country, bedrock is usually way too far down, the hills are often steep, and the area is subject to heavy floods.

Landslides do a lot of damage in lots of places, though.  A lot of people don't realize it because it's usually a little damage here and there instead of all in a few seconds.

coatimundi

I also noticed that 33 north of Ojai has been closed for several days. I could only find one vague article on it in the VC Star, but no pictures: http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/2017/02/20/traffic-highway-33-closed-mudslides/98155274/

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 23, 2017, 01:51:50 PM
I can see if it was damaged in an earthquake, but a mudslide? It must've been built over very poor land for that to happen.

Yes, coastal California is difficult country, bedrock is usually way too far down, the hills are often steep, and the area is subject to heavy floods.

Landslides do a lot of damage in lots of places, though.  A lot of people don't realize it because it's usually a little damage here and there instead of all in a few seconds.

Even the Sierras have a ton of rock fall due to all the water and sheer terrain.  That is the big difference between states in the Rockies where the mountains are more eroded down and make road building much easier do since the terrain lends itself more towards stability.  I figure anywhere I go this time of year I'll be at minimum encountering moderate rock fall and landslides even on open roadways.

AsphaltPlanet

The northern coast during a much drier time:

I shot this last year.  What a spectacular drive it is.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Some observations today out in the Santa Cruz Range with post-weather issues:

CA 129:  Some of the canyon face was in bad shape with slides dumping out onto the roadway.  Nothing too major but definitely a surprise to see so much rockfall on a lower elevation route.

CA 17:  Surprisingly no issues with 17 today, it was running smooth...even though I jumped off of it fairly quick.

CA 9:  Major closures north of 1 and at the CA 35 junction.  Lots of slides and a lot of active Caltrans crews working.

CA 236:  The road was clear but was heavily dumped on with tree debris north out of Big Basin.  I'm actually surprised additional trees didn't fall down.

CA 35:  Obviously CA 35 is closed south of the junction of 9 to 17.  The rest of the road north to San Francisco was in pretty good shape with only one flagging operation that I saw.

Really all things considered with the weather things could have been much worse.  The nice thing was that it was very quiet on Skyline since it was very difficult to reach with the closures of 9.  I've never had a more placid day getting into San Franciso.  I'm working on the photos with a new thread but the Wi Fi is very slow here, I'll probably start posting tomorrow maybe?...no maps and alignment stuff until I get home.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 24, 2017, 04:24:21 PM
The northern coast during a much drier time:

I shot this last year.  What a spectacular drive it is.

Got that section of 1 on my list for later this year when the slides are a little more cleared out.  I did 299 last March and it was more of a toss-up between that and the north terminus of 1.  I have about 20-30 miles...something like that to clinch the entire highway, I would love to check that one off my list.

AsphaltPlanet

It's definitely worth driving.  I'd never been north of San Francisco in California before I did this trip last year.  I really enjoyed myself.  I followed the Coast all the way up to Aberdeen, Washington.  If I were to do it again, I would bother with it north of Astoria.

I've done the coast through Big Sur twice.  Once was in December, 2014.  The road was marked closed due to slides.  I drove through (after I asked an oncoming car if it was passable), and saw a few minor slides along the route.  Looking back, I was pretty naive about just how much damage a rain storm can do to the coast road.

There are a lot of great drives in California.

kkt

Stunningly beautiful.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 25, 2017, 10:15:52 AM
It's definitely worth driving.  I'd never been north of San Francisco in California before I did this trip last year.  I really enjoyed myself.  I followed the Coast all the way up to Aberdeen, Washington.  If I were to do it again, I would bother with it north of Astoria.

I've done the coast through Big Sur twice.  Once was in December, 2014.  The road was marked closed due to slides.  I drove through (after I asked an oncoming car if it was passable), and saw a few minor slides along the route.  Looking back, I was pretty naive about just how much damage a rain storm can do to the coast road.

There are a lot of great drives in California.

I was surprised to see how much active floods were on 1 today from Stinson Beach north to Point Reyes Station.  With the closures from 101 to Stinson it had me thinking the road was more clear...definitely was not.  The guy in front of me hit a flooded area too fast and steamed up his muffler...reminded me of Florida after a big storm.   :-D  I've done all of 101 over the years a piece at a time, really I would enjoy going back to do the whole thing in one shot...someday.

coatimundi

Monterey Count Weekly posted an update on the Big Sur situation today: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/construction-to-begin-on-nacimiento-fergusson-road-re-opening-access/article_392fb784-fae6-11e6-826a-0f323a4dc806.html

QuoteFor a few hours a day starting Monday, Big Sur will no longer be an island. The U.S. Forest Service announced plans to begin construction with limited access for through-traffic on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road starting Monday, Feb. 27.

I like the "11:30-noon". I believe it takes over an hour to drive it from 101. Maybe they mean from a point in the mountains, which is where I believe the closure currently starts. But I wouldn't want to be the delivery guy bringing a box truck through that.

Highway 1 is still closed at Palo Colorado. They had slides and are only allowing residents through to the more serious closure at Pfeiffer Canyon. Otherwise, I may have tried to go down to the bridge this weekend. Personally, I think the slides are minor and are just used as an excuse to keep people the F out of there. But that's for the best. The Palo Colorado community itself is really messed up.

Max Rockatansky

Well that would be interesting to see delivery trucks trying to use the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road...especially the last 7 miles to the coast, hope the drivers know what low gear is and aren't afraid of huge drop-offs.   I guess that really put things out to April or May if I want to try the road along with Big Sur up to the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge closure.

Quillz

Quote from: coatimundi on February 27, 2017, 12:32:42 AM
Monterey Count Weekly posted an update on the Big Sur situation today: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/construction-to-begin-on-nacimiento-fergusson-road-re-opening-access/article_392fb784-fae6-11e6-826a-0f323a4dc806.html

QuoteFor a few hours a day starting Monday, Big Sur will no longer be an island. The U.S. Forest Service announced plans to begin construction with limited access for through-traffic on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road starting Monday, Feb. 27.

I like the "11:30-noon". I believe it takes over an hour to drive it from 101. Maybe they mean from a point in the mountains, which is where I believe the closure currently starts. But I wouldn't want to be the delivery guy bringing a box truck through that.

Highway 1 is still closed at Palo Colorado. They had slides and are only allowing residents through to the more serious closure at Pfeiffer Canyon. Otherwise, I may have tried to go down to the bridge this weekend. Personally, I think the slides are minor and are just used as an excuse to keep people the F out of there. But that's for the best. The Palo Colorado community itself is really messed up.
What's wrong with it?

coatimundi

Quote from: Quillz on February 28, 2017, 07:04:36 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on February 27, 2017, 12:32:42 AM

What's wrong with it?

The road has a lot of damage. It didn't help that the area was hard hit by the fire this summer also. Like Prunedale, they had some eucalyptus grove damage that caused issues with homes.

Kniwt

Here's a fresh look, taken yesterday, of the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge (Caltrans photo) continuing to fall:

http://abc7news.com/news/warning-issued-over-pfeiffer-canyon-bridge-deterioration/1793506/
QuoteAccording to Caltrans, due to extreme safety concerns, people are being told to stay clear and not get within a 100 feet of either side of the bridge.

Max Rockatansky

Might be high time to use some sort of explosive to help that along.  I'm surprised that it is standing after all these weeks.  Seems like the rain has dwindled down finally, so the weather might do the job after all.

kkt

100 feet away doesn't seem like enough on the downhill side.

hm insulators

Quote from: kkt on February 23, 2017, 01:51:50 PM

Much of California, the land is of poor quality because of all the earthquake faulting action. Over millions of years, the rock that makes up the land gets chewed up, spit out and chewed up again.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: Kniwt on March 09, 2017, 08:27:28 PM
Here's a fresh look, taken yesterday, of the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge (Caltrans photo) continuing to fall:

http://abc7news.com/news/warning-issued-over-pfeiffer-canyon-bridge-deterioration/1793506/
QuoteAccording to Caltrans, due to extreme safety concerns, people are being told to stay clear and not get within a 100 feet of either side of the bridge.

Just needs a little duct tape, is all. :-D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sparker

Quote from: hm insulators on March 10, 2017, 03:00:18 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on March 09, 2017, 08:27:28 PM

Just needs a little duct tape, is all. :-D

Already addressed this in another thread, but this bridge is supposed to be demolished during the week of March 12-18.  Nothing yet re temporary replacement.

Max Rockatansky

41 north of Oakhurst to Yosemite reopened two days ago and I went through today.  Really there wasn't much in the way of mud or landslides to be see, lots downed trees though.  The delays were about 15 minutes through the work zone; I even got yelled at by a flag guy for getting a bottle of water out of my trunk.  I can't imagine that is a fun job having to deal with all those tourists trying to get to Yosemite Valley.

Kniwt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.