News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 13, 2018, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 13, 2018, 12:25:47 PM
I think signage will depend upon the configuration of the eventual 5/58 freeway interchange.  If it's a straight directional merge with I-5 NB, then what would be appropriate there would be a mileage sign after the merge with Paso Robles as one of the destinations (possibly citing "Via CA 46" between the city name and the mileage).  If, however, it's a trumpet or directional interchange, it would be germane to put "To CA 46/Paso Robles" on the BGS's directing traffic to NB I-5.  And if one wanted to nail the point down, a sign (even a secondary type) could be placed prior to the CA 58 West Buttonwillow exit stating "Paso Robles/CA 46....Use I-5 North".   For the record,  I'd omit Santa Maria from anything not directing traffic to CA 119 or CA 166; CA 58 west of I-5 certainly isn't a viable route to that destination;  the only major central coast city even remotely appropriate for that road (possibly not the wisest choice of thoroughfares) would be SLO.

This is why I do not support listing Paso Robles on any CA-58 related signage on CA-99.  Trying to kludge together mileage signs on I-5 to justify putting Paso Robles on exit signs for CA-58 just seems silly to me.  I would go so far as to retract my original thoughts and support using Buttonwillow on CA-58 related signs on 99.  Looking at Google Maps, Buttonwillow is not just the collection of gas stations on I-5 but there appears to be a sizable community about 4 miles west of the 5/58 interchange.

Second thoughts:  Myosh makes a good point; Paso Robles doesn't need to be mentioned on CA 58; most of the WB traffic on the more heavily-traveled segment of the route east of CA 99 is heading (a) to Bakersfield (b) north on CA 99 from Bakersfield (c) directly to I-5 for dispersal elsewhere.  As I originally suggested, I'd use "TO I-5" as the control for WB 58, and let the traffic go where it intends once on I-5.  If any traffic is intended for Paso Robles, they can use GPS or actually learn to read a map to get where they're going.  If they're on I-5 NB, it's not that far to any actual Paso Robles signage at the CA 46 exit.

skluth

Quote from: sparker on March 13, 2018, 05:53:49 PM

Second thoughts:  Myosh makes a good point; Paso Robles doesn't need to be mentioned on CA 58; most of the WB traffic on the more heavily-traveled segment of the route east of CA 99 is heading (a) to Bakersfield (b) north on CA 99 from Bakersfield (c) directly to I-5 for dispersal elsewhere.  As I originally suggested, I'd use "TO I-5" as the control for WB 58, and let the traffic go where it intends once on I-5.  If any traffic is intended for Paso Robles, they can use GPS or actually learn to read a map to get where they're going.  If they're on I-5 NB, it's not that far to any actual Paso Robles signage at the CA 46 exit.

You can't use I-5 as a control point until west of CA 99. Otherwise, traffic going south to LA might be confused and drive well out of their way instead of just taking CA 99 south to I-5 to get to LA.

Buttonwillow is a perfectly good control point. The town is the collection of buildings a few miles west of the interstate. The gas stations and restaurants are at the Buttonwillow Interchange.

I agree Paso Robles should not be mentioned.

sparker

Quote from: skluth on March 14, 2018, 11:16:20 AM

You can't use I-5 as a control point until west of CA 99. Otherwise, traffic going south to LA might be confused and drive well out of their way instead of just taking CA 99 south to I-5 to get to LA.

Buttonwillow is a perfectly good control point. The town is the collection of buildings a few miles west of the interstate. The gas stations and restaurants are at the Buttonwillow Interchange.

Simple: amend the control sign to "West CA 58 to North I-5".  Although anyone who's actually driven I-5 is familiar with Buttonwillow as a landmark and possible refueling (car & person) location, it's really not a control point as such; travelers heading west on CA 58 into the Bakersfield area will more likely be looking for a way over to I-5 than a farm town west of that freeway.  Besides, the CA 99 South ramp signage prominently mentions Los Angeles as the control city at that interchange.  And if a trumpet or directional interchange is eventually deployed at the future 5/58 junction site, there will be additional signage for I-5 south to L.A. there for those poor souls who missed the CA 99 South exit.  Actually -- also amending the CA 99 south to read "CA 99 South TO I-5 South/Los Angeles" might not be a bad idea -- provide a reference to both directions of I-5 well in advance. 

skluth

Actually -- also amending the CA 99 south to read "CA 99 South TO I-5 South/Los Angeles" might not be a bad idea -- provide a reference to both directions of I-5 well in advance.

I think that is the best solution. I'd be fine with the CA 58 west to I-5 control point being any of Buttonwillow, Tracy, Sacramento, Oakland, or SF. The left part of the sign posted earlier with Sacramento as the control point would be great.

myosh_tino

Quote from: sparker on March 14, 2018, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 14, 2018, 11:16:20 AM

Simple: amend the control sign to "West CA 58 to North I-5".  Although anyone who's actually driven I-5 is familiar with Buttonwillow as a landmark and possible refueling (car & person) location, it's really not a control point as such; travelers heading west on CA 58 into the Bakersfield area will more likely be looking for a way over to I-5 than a farm town west of that freeway.  Besides, the CA 99 South ramp signage prominently mentions Los Angeles as the control city at that interchange.  And if a trumpet or directional interchange is eventually deployed at the future 5/58 junction site, there will be additional signage for I-5 south to L.A. there for those poor souls who missed the CA 99 South exit.

I agree with the above sentiment for pull-through signage on west 58 in Bakersfield approaching the 58/99 interchange hence the APL illustration I posted earlier.

I still do not agree with the idea of using "TO I-5" on exit signs for west 58 on north 99.  Long distance travelers would already be on I-5 as the split between the two routes is a mere 24 miles from the 99/58 interchange.  I stand by idea of using either the road's name, "Westside Pkwy", or "Buttonwillow" on these signs.

Actually -- also amending the CA 99 south to read "CA 99 South TO I-5 South/Los Angeles" might not be a bad idea -- provide a reference to both directions of I-5 well in advance.

It's not a bad idea.  In fact it's a pretty good idea.  The only problem is, it runs into one of the limitations of Arrow-per-Lane signs... there's not enough room to put "(99) SOUTH TO (5) SOUTH" because it's sandwiched between the pull-through portion of the APL and the north 99 exit portion.  There's barely enough room to squeeze in "Los Angeles" on the sign...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

skluth

Question on the Westside Parkway. Will traffic continue to use the current CA 58 to reach I-5 or will they use the more convenient Stockdale Highway once the Westside Parkway is complete? I can't see through traffic using CA 58 west of Bakersfield once a better option is available, unless truck traffic is prohibited on Stockdale Highway.

I'm back to supporting Buttonwillow as the control city. Another sign can be posted stating I-5 Northbound should follow CA 58 West. This keeps the sign from becoming too cluttered.

sparker

Quote from: skluth on March 16, 2018, 10:40:45 AM
Question on the Westside Parkway. Will traffic continue to use the current CA 58 to reach I-5 or will they use the more convenient Stockdale Highway once the Westside Parkway is complete? I can't see through traffic using CA 58 west of Bakersfield once a better option is available, unless truck traffic is prohibited on Stockdale Highway.

I'm back to supporting Buttonwillow as the control city. Another sign can be posted stating I-5 Northbound should follow CA 58 West. This keeps the sign from becoming too cluttered.

The logical choice for Caltrans would be simply to move the CA 58 designation from its current alignment down to Stockdale as far as I-5.  But that's often not the method used; they might just use the next N-S artery to the west (or even CA 43) to get back to the original alignment; this is often done to avoid adding county maintenance information to the Caltrans local district compendium.  It'll probably all depend upon any schedule for completing the Westside Freeway out all the way to I-5; if it's 7-10 years or so maximum (wishful thinking!), they'll probably go ahead and take over maintenance of Stockdale and relinquish all of current CA 58 east of I-5; if the timeframe is considerably longer, they'll just shunt 58 back to the current alignment until the freeway is actually completed.  On a longer-term basis, they'd rather maintain the facilities they have on file rather than take on new ones and have to go to the bother of swapping out records with Kern County.   

andy3175

Mudslide in Topanga Canyon closes SR 27 through the weekend of March 17-18:

http://ktla.com/2018/03/15/heavy-rain-returns-to-socal-prompts-road-closure-in-malibu/

QuoteRain and snow fell in Southern California Thursday morning, making for difficult driving conditions and prompting a mudslide that has forced the dayslong closure of Topanga Canyon Boulevard east of Malibu. ...

In Topanga, South Topanga Canyon Boulevard had to be shut down in both directions from Pacific Coast Highway to Grand View Drive due to a mud and rock slide that occurred about 2 a.m. at mile marker 1.5.

One vehicle got stuck in the mud but there were  no injuries, Caltrans said.

It's the third slide along the winding roadway through the Santa Monica Mountains since a fire burned in the area in January, the agency said.

"After the ground became saturated in a former burn area, large rocks, mud, debris, and ash slid down the slope and over the gully and roadway shoulder," Caltrans said in a news release. "A drainage pipe at that location became clogged with mud and debris and the overflow spilled onto the roadway."

The debris came down near a slide that occurred the previous week — an incident that prompted the installation of K-rail and fencing to catch future slides. Thursday's slide fell just outside the K-rail, in three spots along a 1,000-foot span, Caltrans said.

With more rain expected over the weekend, the stretch of roadway — nearly 4 miles long — will be closed until at least Sunday night, Caltrans said. No homes or businesses are on the stretch, which Caltrans referred to as a "rural area."

Caltrans advised use of PCH, the 101 and 405 freeways, and State Route 23 as alternate routes.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 14, 2018, 05:24:29 PM
It's not a bad idea.  In fact it's a pretty good idea.  The only problem is, it runs into one of the limitations of Arrow-per-Lane signs... there's not enough room to put "(99) SOUTH TO (5) SOUTH" because it's sandwiched between the pull-through portion of the APL and the north 99 exit portion.  There's barely enough room to squeeze in "Los Angeles" on the sign...

Has there been any discussion to increase the standard height of Caltrans APL signs ? It seems to me that the APLs in California are too congested and short to fit the volume of information, even when we're talking about just one route number and one destination. I know Caltrans has specifications for sign heights; I just don't know if there is any intent to allow taller signs when APLs are called for in the sign design process. (My suspicion of course is that there would be no change to the sign heights, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.) If the sign heights can't change, then I wonder if APLs are really that effective in applications along California roads. I like the mock-up you prepared Myosh, but the overall application just looks cluttered to me. And that is without adding the exit numbers that arguably should also be inserted within this sign somewhere.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article202402354.html

Spend gas tax money ASAP, new Caltrans leader says of directive from Gov. Jerry Brown
By Tony Bizjak And Adam Ashton, tbizjak@sacbee.com and aashton@sacbee.com
March 01, 2018 12:01 AM and Updated March 08, 2018 06:10 PM

QuoteCaltrans' new director takes her seat this week with immediate marching orders: Spend money, and spend it fast.

Gov. Jerry Brown has asked new Caltrans head Laurie Berman and new Transportation Secretary Brian Annis to turn the state's gas tax hike into quick and visible highway improvements.

The pair describe it as a historic opportunity and a major challenge. "Right now is a great time to be in transportation,"  Berman said. "With (gas tax legislation) SB 1 we've got a lot to deliver, which is exciting. For a long time we did not have the funding to adequately maintain our system."

State transportation accounts are expected to see $5.4 billion annually as a result of Senate Bill 1, a Brown initiative that raised the gas tax 12 cents per gallon and increased vehicle registration fees. ...

Caltrans oversees state highways and rails, while the Transportation Agency acts as umbrella organization for Caltrans, California Transportation Commission, DMV, CHP, High-Speed Rail Authority and other transportation-related departments.

The state's stewardship of the gas tax already has come under attack from conservatives who hope to place a repeal measure on the November ballot. Jon Coupal, president of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, argues that state leaders have neglected transportation infrastructure for years, leaving him skeptical about the Brown administration's current intentions.

"I think it is transparent what they are trying to do," he said. "Look, see we are building projects like we promised. Their motivation is that this rollback is pending."

In interviews last week, Berman and Annis deflected questions about the repeal effort, but acknowledged they must show that the state is spending the tax money efficiently and effectively. ...

SB 1 funds have been flowing into state coffers since November. Caltrans has published a list of 13 projects that it has started and finished with SB 1 funds. The largest was a $10 million highway resurfacing near Needles in rural San Bernardino County. The smallest was a $1.5 million resurfacing of Highway 113 near Dixon in Solano County.

Berman said the state faces a host of logistical tasks, including the need to hire engineers, staff and consultants. The unions that represent Caltrans workers say the department fell behind on hiring in the lead-up to the gas tax. More engineers retired or left the department last year than Caltrans hired, for instance. ...

Caltrans also has begun reaching out to local governments, private contractors and utility companies to coordinate efforts where possible, Berman said.

"Caltrans is getting money, the locals are getting money, there is a shortage of materials, there is going to shortage of labor. We don't want to be tripping over each other, fighting over scarce resources," she said. "We are working with the construction industry to make sure everybody is ready."

Last month, the California Transportation Commission allocated $1.5 billion in SB 1 funds to 479 cities and 58 counties for local road work.

The next two months will see a flurry of spending decisions. In April, the Transportation Agency will make $2.4 billion in grants available to transit agencies for large projects on a competitive basis, mixing cap-and-trade and gas tax funds. In May, the CTC will award $300 million for freight corridor improvements and a like amount for improvements on congested highways.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Update on Interstate 15 temporary rest area closures in Mojave Desert:

https://www.pe.com/2018/03/11/why-are-the-i-15-rest-stops-closed-on-the-route-to-las-vegas/

QuoteWater and electrical problems are to blame for the closures of rest stops on 1-15 between Riverside and Las Vegas, said Caltrans spokeswoman Terri Kasinga. The rest stops outside of Barstow and Baker are just old and need major repairs or rehabilitation work, which is why they are closed. Kasinga gave the following updates on their statuses:

I-15 at Valley Wells (outside of Baker): This rest area was rebuilt about 10 years ago, but the well was not replaced during the rehabilitation project due to the cost, Kasinga said. The well is about 50 years old and has started showing signs of failure, with sediment in the water and other problems, and it is collapsing. Caltrans is looking into an emergency project to build a new well. If Caltrans rebuilds at the same site of the current well, the agency would not have to get permits to do the work, Kasinga said.  Caltrans still needs the engineering staff to determine whether they can rebuild in the same spot. If Caltrans builds a new well, it will need to get permits from multiple agencies, and that would delay the time needed to start the work. An early estimate for reopening this rest area is approximately June at the earliest.

I-15 at C.V. Kane (outside of Barstow): The rest area on the northbound I-15 is fairly new and was rebuilt four or five years ago, Kasinga said. The southbound I-15 rest area is currently under construction and being rebuilt and is expected to open this summer. The pump on the northbound I-15 broke and was repaired. Caltrans is awaiting water test results and once they are cleared, the rest area will reopen soon.

Caltrans has projects planned to rebuild rest areas on I-40 and I-10, according to Kasinga, who noted that water (well or pump) and electrical issues routinely plague the rest areas. Vandalism also causes closures, she said.

During closure periods, Caltrans asks that motorists and truckers use facilities and restrooms in local towns along their route and find safe places to rest. Caltrans wishes to apologize for the inconveniences, said Kasinga, adding, "But we also are not able to open the rest areas under the existing conditions until the repairs are made and the rest areas are safe for public use."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Only problem is that the only locale between Barstow and the state line is Baker...most people probably rather just do their business out in the desert than stop there.  :-D

Plutonic Panda

What's up with Baker? I remember that town for some reason but I can't remember why I remember it if that isn't crazy enough.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 17, 2018, 09:22:00 AM
What's up with Baker? I remember that town for some reason but I can't remember why I remember it if that isn't crazy enough.

It's just a nasty and dingy unincorporated Town out in the desert.  There are facilities but they are pretty haggard and really poor shape.  Everyone I've stopped there with heading to Las Vegas or Death Valley complains about how awful it is.  I'm pretty indifferent, the Arco has a really good selection of food items for what it's worth. 

nexus73

"If Caltrans builds a new well, it will need to get permits from multiple agencies, and that would delay the time needed to start the work. An early estimate for reopening this rest area is approximately June at the earliest."

Gotta keep the bureaucrats busy with make-work...LOL!  Seriously, how much impact can drilling a well in the desert have?  This is why we cannot have nice things.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on March 17, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
"If Caltrans builds a new well, it will need to get permits from multiple agencies, and that would delay the time needed to start the work. An early estimate for reopening this rest area is approximately June at the earliest."

Gotta keep the bureaucrats busy with make-work...LOL!  Seriously, how much impact can drilling a well in the desert have?  This is why we cannot have nice things.

Rick

Didn't the California Environmental Quallity Act become law even before the EPA was created?   You need an impact survey and permits for pretty much any new construction in California.  But then again there isn't much stopping someone from pulling off on Zzyxz Road, Nipton Road, or even Kelbaker Road to take care of business while those permits for the rest area wells are in the work.

roadfro

The only thing I ever remember about Baker is that it's the site of the "World's Tallest Thermometer".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on March 17, 2018, 12:38:17 PM

The only thing I ever remember about Baker is that it's the site of the "World's Tallest Thermometer".

I really wish that I remembered that was there when I did my CA 127 photo album. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 17, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
Quote from: roadfro on March 17, 2018, 12:38:17 PM

I really wish that I remembered that was there when I did my CA 127 photo album. 

When I was back in college in the late '60's and was driving an old beater ('61 Chevy), spring break trips to Vegas involved stopping at Baker and filling up jugs of water for the climb up the hill (water was free at gas stations back then). 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 17, 2018, 10:44:52 AM

It's just a nasty and dingy unincorporated Town out in the desert.  There are facilities but they are pretty haggard and really poor shape.  Everyone I've stopped there with heading to Las Vegas or Death Valley complains about how awful it is.  I'm pretty indifferent, the Arco has a really good selection of food items for what it's worth.
I remember now. It was so fucking hot. But it was much hotter than the other locales along the route being 10-15 hotter than anywhere else. Of course with a name like Baker I should have known.

myosh_tino

Quote from: andy3175 on March 17, 2018, 01:37:01 AM
Has there been any discussion to increase the standard height of Caltrans APL signs ? It seems to me that the APLs in California are too congested and short to fit the volume of information, even when we're talking about just one route number and one destination. I know Caltrans has specifications for sign heights; I just don't know if there is any intent to allow taller signs when APLs are called for in the sign design process. (My suspicion of course is that there would be no change to the sign heights, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.) If the sign heights can't change, then I wonder if APLs are really that effective in applications along California roads. I like the mock-up you prepared Myosh, but the overall application just looks cluttered to me. And that is without adding the exit numbers that arguably should also be inserted within this sign somewhere.

While I suspect there has been some internal discussions at Caltrans I don't have any information supporting my opinion *however* the new Express Lane signage on I-580 through the Livermore Valley and on I-680 through the San Ramon Valley is taller than 120 inches, perhaps as tall as 160 inches.

With all that said, I think the 120-inch max height is more than sufficient for overhead APL signs *IF* there isn't a second closely-spaced exit like the situation on westbound 58 approaching the 99 interchange in Bakersfield.  Here are a few examples of how APLs could work in California using the reduced height arrows...

The only snag is when a distance message (i.e. "1 MILE") is needed on an advanced APL sign.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

silverback1065

I've seen this around the thread before, but can't remember where, what program did you use to make those BGS's?  I'd like to make some of my own!

myosh_tino

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 19, 2018, 07:47:41 AM
I've seen this around the thread before, but can't remember where, what program did you use to make those BGS's?  I'd like to make some of my own!

All of my signs are laid out by hand using Photoshop.  I don't know of any single program that will do all of this for you automatically.

Everything you see in the above 3 signs (route shields, arrows, exit tabs, etc) was made by me following specs from the Caltrans website.

To see how I put my signs together, check out this video I created and uploaded to YouTube...

nexus73

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 19, 2018, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 19, 2018, 07:47:41 AM

All of my signs are laid out by hand using Photoshop.  I don't know of any single program that will do all of this for you automatically.

Everything you see in the above 3 signs (route shields, arrows, exit tabs, etc) was made by me following specs from the Caltrans website.

To see how I put my signs together, check out this video I created and uploaded to YouTube...

Myosh, you really are a talent!  I wonder if anyone who does videogames with highways could use them?  At least with you on the job, the signs would be accurate in all aspects!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

paulthemapguy

Hi everyone who is more familiar with California than I.  I am putting together a map of places where I can most efficiently snap a photo of a standalone shield for every state, federal, and Interstate highway in California.  California signs its numbered highways so poorly that I need to check on Google StreetView to find a standing example of a sign before I even can start thinking of photographing one in the wild.  My idea of "conquering"/"clinching" a state is to take a photo of every state, federal, or Interstate highway, so this fits my modus operandae.

I'm encountering a problem, though--I can't find any standalone spade shields for a number of state highways.  I wanted to enlist the help of people who know their way around California, in trying to determine if any signs for these routes still exist in the wild.  Is anyone aware of any standalone cutout shields for the following California highways?  (BGS's and unisigns are not what I'm looking for.)

CA-66, CA-83, CA-112, CA-114, CA-130, CA-153, CA-200, CA-222, CA-259 & CA-710.

This is the map I'm putting together, by the way https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sfrrmdkzj0UPkJDkVS4V4LAKpo8fh3va&usp=sharing
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.