News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Turner Turnpike - New Service Plazas

Started by rte66man, April 24, 2019, 08:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

from KFOR:
https://kfor.com/2019/04/22/major-changes-ahead-for-service-area-in-stroud-on-turner-turnpike/

NOTE:  Nothing on OTA's website.

Major changes ahead for service area in Stroud on Turner Turnpike

STROUD, Okla. - The Turner Turnpike is about to undergo a major renovation. The biggest change will impact the popular rest stop just west of Stroud.  The area will no longer be a halfway meeting point for people driving in both directions.

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority said, due to accidents and too much traffic coming into the rest stop, cars in both the west- and eastbound lanes will have their own separate facilities to stop at.

"I think it's definitely a better way to improve drivers safety," said Elton Hayes, a truck driver. The McDonald's and EZ Go along the turnpike in Stroud is Hayes' go-to place after driving all day. But, at night, it gets especially crowded. "It's hard to find a parking spot," he said. And, when merging back onto the turnpike, it puts Hayes' semi right in the fast lane. He said it's too dangerous.

"It takes a while to build up that speed and momentum and, when you have the speed limit at 75 miles per hour, you're getting on at 35 miles per hour, so you've got a 40 miles per hour difference," he said.

Which is why the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is planning major changes.

"We have seen a few accidents out there because of the merging aspect of it," said Jack Damrill, the director of Communications. "We're going to straighten that out, so the road will be straight so you won't dogleg around to the right."

In the next two or three years, drivers will only be able to access the service area in Stroud if they're traveling in the westbound lanes. Those driving towards Tulsa will have to use a new service area near Chandler, which is already being built. In the end, the Turnpike Authority said it will also save drivers money.

"They will be charged full price between Oklahoma City and Tulsa; now that they have to exit Stroud, they will be charged the reduced amount for that travel trip," Damrill said.

Damrill also said the $17 million project for both facilities will include WiFi, electric chargers for vehicles and more parking spots for semis, something Hayes said is needed.

"It's definitely good for our rest and good for safety all the way around," Hayes said.

Construction on the service stop near Chandler is expected to be done by the end of the year.

Renovations to the Stroud location will begin shortly after in 2020.

The plans are at:
https://pikepass.com/pdf/T-MC-128A%20Bid%20Plan%20Set%20with%20disclaimer_285_20180912153334.pdf
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

I wish the OTA would be more transparent on projects. It would be nice to have things likes constant updates, project specific web pages, renderings and flyover videos. Etc. things many other states have.

SoonerCowboy

This service plaza is long due for an upgrade. Seems crazy the busiest turnpike in the state, is last to upgrade its service plaza. The H.E. Bailey, Cimarron, Indian Nation, and Will Rogers all have very nice modern service plazas.

In_Correct

Quote from: rte66man on April 24, 2019, 08:47:49 PM
from KFOR:
https://kfor.com/2019/04/22/major-changes-ahead-for-service-area-in-stroud-on-turner-turnpike/

NOTE:  Nothing on OTA's website.

Major changes ahead for service area in Stroud on Turner Turnpike

STROUD, Okla. - The Turner Turnpike is about to undergo a major renovation. The biggest change will impact the popular rest stop just west of Stroud.  The area will no longer be a halfway meeting point for people driving in both directions.

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority said, due to accidents and too much traffic coming into the rest stop, cars in both the west- and eastbound lanes will have their own separate facilities to stop at.

"I think it's definitely a better way to improve drivers safety," said Elton Hayes, a truck driver. The McDonald's and EZ Go along the turnpike in Stroud is Hayes' go-to place after driving all day. But, at night, it gets especially crowded. "It's hard to find a parking spot," he said. And, when merging back onto the turnpike, it puts Hayes' semi right in the fast lane. He said it's too dangerous.

"It takes a while to build up that speed and momentum and, when you have the speed limit at 75 miles per hour, you're getting on at 35 miles per hour, so you've got a 40 miles per hour difference," he said.

Which is why the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is planning major changes.

"We have seen a few accidents out there because of the merging aspect of it," said Jack Damrill, the director of Communications. "We're going to straighten that out, so the road will be straight so you won't dogleg around to the right."

In the next two or three years, drivers will only be able to access the service area in Stroud if they're traveling in the westbound lanes. Those driving towards Tulsa will have to use a new service area near Chandler, which is already being built. In the end, the Turnpike Authority said it will also save drivers money.

"They will be charged full price between Oklahoma City and Tulsa; now that they have to exit Stroud, they will be charged the reduced amount for that travel trip," Damrill said.

Damrill also said the $17 million project for both facilities will include WiFi, electric chargers for vehicles and more parking spots for semis, something Hayes said is needed.

"It's definitely good for our rest and good for safety all the way around," Hayes said.

Construction on the service stop near Chandler is expected to be done by the end of the year.

Renovations to the Stroud location will begin shortly after in 2020.

The plans are at:
https://pikepass.com/pdf/T-MC-128A%20Bid%20Plan%20Set%20with%20disclaimer_285_20180912153334.pdf

A Service Plaza Bridge is much better. It might cost more, but it is much less confusing. Interstate 44 needs to have many of these Service Plaza Bridges, not just one Service Plaza Bridge between Missouri and Tulsa.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

SoonerCowboy

A Service Plaza Bridge is much better. It might cost more, but it is much less confusing. Interstate 44 needs to have many of these Service Plaza Bridges, not just one Service Plaza Bridge between Missouri and Tulsa.
[/quote]

I totally agree, would it not be more cost efficient, to build another plaza bridge like on the Will Rogers? You would still build two gas stations, but only one restaurant. It seems to me that the Vinita plaza has a lot of wasted space inside, it would be nice to maybe add another restaurant complex, more tables, etc.

In_Correct

It is still two restaurants. But two different restaurants providing variety and services both carriage ways at the same time. It would save lots of money for the restaurants, but I do not know how much more it would cost to build a Service Plaza Bridge / Arch Way.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

rte66man

BUMP

The eastbound Chandler service plaza has been open for about 2 months. The first heads up.

What is left of the old service area.

And approaching the new service area:

They have permanently closed the eastbound access to the Stroud service area.

-Yogi Berra

In_Correct

They still must build that Bridge / Arch Way that I typed about. And then be able to take the Transparent Traction Elevator, walk across the Turn Pike, and take the other Transparent Traction Elevator, and then you are on the other side of the Turn Pike.

rte66man

Quote from: In_Correct on September 08, 2020, 05:06:16 PM
They still must build that Bridge / Arch Way that I typed about. And then be able to take the Transparent Traction Elevator, walk across the Turn Pike, and take the other Transparent Traction Elevator, and then you are on the other side of the Turn Pike.

Will never happen. When the turnpike was opened in 1953, there was a Howard Johnsons and a gas station on the EB side. There was a gas station on the WB side and there was an enclosed pedestrian overpass for WB travelers to use to patronize the HoJo. That was removed when the existing center plaza was built on the late 70's

-Yogi Berra

In_Correct

That is a shame. The Toll Roads would benefit from more Arch Ways.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: In_Correct on September 10, 2020, 11:27:45 AM
That is a shame. The Toll Roads would benefit from more Arch Ways.

I honestly do like the ISTHA Oases that have a building going over the roadway, as well as the Vinita Service Plaza on the Will Rogers Turnpike, which is basically the same design but with a decorative arch.  It would be nice to see more of those.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

DevalDragon

The 80 mph speed limit on this stretch is quite nice, though you need to watch your speed because they patrol it quite heavily - with motorcycle units.

skluth

Quote from: DevalDragon on November 15, 2020, 10:45:35 PM
The 80 mph speed limit on this stretch is quite nice, though you need to watch your speed because they patrol it quite heavily - with motorcycle units.

If you need to watch your speed when the speed limit is 80 mph, you probably should use cruise control.

Bobby5280

Personally, I don't need to drive faster than 80mph on the turnpikes. The gas mileage in my truck really goes to hell past that point! It would do even better staying under 70mph. But I like to push it at least a little.

Plutonic Panda

I drive fairly fast for the most part but I will say it is VERY easy to be driving faster than the speed you think you're going in newer big bodied cars and SUVs. HUD can help with that if you have it on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.