News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Team Nicknames you have

Started by roadman65, October 08, 2019, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 08, 2019, 08:40:47 PMSpeaking of the Red Wings I'm surprised that "Dead Wings"  hasn't become popular again since the team has sucked the last couple years.
Yeah, that one, too!    :rofl:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Alps

Quote from: ce929wax on October 09, 2019, 01:08:04 AM
I used to call the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Brokebacks to annoy the locals when I lived in Texas, although I was secretly a Cowboy fan, I did it because the local DFW area fans are kind of pathetic.  I had one neighbor that would come out of his apartment and scream his fool head off if the Boys won OR lost. 

I've called the Lions the Pussies/Pussycats and the Tennessee Vols the "Volunqueers", even though I am/was secretly a fan because the Vols fans in Knoxville are much like the Cowboy fans in DFW.  I have also referred to the Packers as the Fudgepackers and the Vikings as the "Viqueens."  I have also referred to the Buckeyes as the "Suck/Fuck"eyes.

I think that is about all I can think of.  Every other team I am pretty neutral towards.
Sounds like someone has a case of the intolerances

roadman

New England Patsies.  Boston Red Slobs
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Big John

Minnesota Barneys (they're purple)
Motor City Kitties
OSU Luckeyes.
ND I-rash

thspfc

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 09, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
Historically my family has been Cubs fans and called them the "Lovable Losers", though they have been stepping up the game more recently.
Do you get bullied for being Cubs fans in Missouri? Brewer fans here gave up hating cubs fans a long time ago because there are so many of them in Wisconsin.

Beltway

Deadskins.

Term used by long-time fans when referring to their lack of performance the last 20 years or so.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on October 09, 2019, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on October 09, 2019, 01:08:04 AM
I used to call the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Brokebacks to annoy the locals when I lived in Texas, although I was secretly a Cowboy fan, I did it because the local DFW area fans are kind of pathetic.  I had one neighbor that would come out of his apartment and scream his fool head off if the Boys won OR lost. 
I've called the Lions the Pussies/Pussycats and the Tennessee Vols the "Volunqueers", even though I am/was secretly a fan because the Vols fans in Knoxville are much like the Cowboy fans in DFW.  I have also referred to the Packers as the Fudgepackers and the Vikings as the "Viqueens."  I have also referred to the Buckeyes as the "Suck/Fuck"eyes.
I think that is about all I can think of.  Every other team I am pretty neutral towards.
Sounds like someone has a case of the intolerances

Everybody enjoys a good rant every now and then!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

How about the Philadelphia Iggles.

That is how many people in the area pronounce it!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2019, 10:03:20 PM
Deadskins.

Term used by long-time fans when referring to their lack of performance the last 20 years or so.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ce929wax

Nope, not intolerant at all.  Lots of people in the LGBTQ+ community are reclaiming the word queer as their own.  I will concede that at the time I was doing that I was much less thoughtful and more intolerant than I am now.   I've come to terms with some things about myself that puts me in that community.   That is all I am going to say, so as not to derail the thread any more than I have.

hbelkins

Quote from: ce929wax on October 10, 2019, 01:05:51 AM
Nope, not intolerant at all.  Lots of people in the LGBTQ+ community are reclaiming the word queer as their own.  I will concede that at the time I was doing that I was much less thoughtful and more intolerant than I am now.   I've come to terms with some things about myself that puts me in that community.   That is all I am going to say, so as not to derail the thread any more than I have.

OK, this is completely off-topic, and I posed the question elsewhere and got no response, so ... what's the "+" stand for?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2019, 12:46:00 PM

OK, this is completely off-topic, and I posed the question elsewhere and got no response, so ... what's the "+" stand for?

People have tried to add more letters to the abbreviation. The + is to prevent it from getting too long (and since nobody can agree on which extra letters to include, anyway).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on October 10, 2019, 12:47:03 PM

People have tried to add more letters to the abbreviation. The + is to prevent it from getting too long (and since nobody can agree on which extra letters to include, anyway).
LGBTQ+%4AWSF2I0O@@#.

Beltway

Quote from: thspfc on October 10, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
LGBTQ+%4AWSF2I0O@@#.

Ligbitists

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Basically, it's "There are a lot of people who do not associate with the typical man marries woman dynamic, for one of several reasons. They may want 0 partners, or 2 or more. They may not want a partner of the opposite gender. They may not, themselves, identify with a gender. Or shades thereof."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2019, 10:30:06 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2019, 10:03:20 PM
Deadskins.

So which is worse, the Redskins or the Dolphins?  This is the first time I can remember where I thought it might be possible for two 0-16 teams to happen.  The Dolphins might have better chance winning a game with how bad the Jets are.  Both are making the 0-16 Lions look like a playoff team by comparison. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on October 08, 2019, 10:21:32 PM
Oh my goodness, dallas cowgirls, so funny and original hahahahahahaha  :pan:

That's how I feel about "Viqueens" . If somebody wants to insult my favorite team, come up with something new and exciting. It's not like the team doesn't pump out plenty of new material to work with.

Kansas City Chefs (from a Snickers ad)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 09:15:23 AM
So which is worse, the Redskins or the Dolphins?
We'll know the answer in about 48 hours.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 09:15:23 AMThis is the first time I can remember where I thought it might be possible for two 0-16 teams to happen.
You thought it might be possible, and then you remembered they play each other?
(They can't both lose Sunday's matchup. :-P)

TheHighwayMan3561

Unfortunately the planets aligned this year where the NFC East plays the AFC East, so the three 0-16 contenders will all knock each other from the running. Jets and Dolphins will probably split their pair against each other and the Skins will probably beat one or the other at worst.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Maybe the Redskins and the Dolphins can both go 0—15—1.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 11, 2019, 10:38:09 AM
Unfortunately the planets aligned this year where the NFC East plays the AFC East, so the three 0-16 contenders will all knock each other from the running. Jets and Dolphins will probably split their pair against each other and the Skins will probably beat one or the other at worst.

The Bengals, too, could still theoretically go 0-16, but AFC East also plays AFC North this year, so they should get to 2-14 by default.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2019, 12:02:54 PM

The Bengals, too, could still theoretically go 0-16, but AFC East also plays AFC North this year, so they should get to 2-14 by default.

I'm assuming Andy Dalton is good enough to get them at least a handful of wins by default.

ozarkman417

Quote from: thspfc on October 09, 2019, 08:27:52 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 09, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
Historically my family has been Cubs fans and called them the "Lovable Losers", though they have been stepping up the game more recently.
Do you get bullied for being Cubs fans in Missouri? Brewer fans here gave up hating cubs fans a long time ago because there are so many of them in Wisconsin.
I don't know anyone who really cares about baseball, and living in Springfield all my life, I've been a Cardinals fan. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2019, 12:02:54 PM

I'm assuming Andy Dalton is good enough to get them at least a handful of wins by default.

If Andy Dalton is the answer, it's a stupid question.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

I like the unofficial nicknames that don't seem to come from big fans or rivals. Some of them seem designed for shorter sports headlines:

"Bucs": Pittsburgh Pirates
"Tribe": Cleveland Indians
"Habs": Montreal Canadiens (Les Habitants)
"Bosox", "Chisox", "Nats", "Caps": not hard to figure out, as they're straightforward abbreviations
"Knicks": Knickerbockers, but the nickname is the de facto real name now
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.