News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why do some southern states have asphalt that appears red?

Started by STLmapboy, May 18, 2020, 05:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

https://www.google.pl/maps/@35.0150452,-90.0023831,3a,88.1y,6.44h,80.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc7TjPdv9D5HOmEHhZ-HXkw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I've seen roads in TN and MS where the interstate appears very red-tinted in the pavement; same with some other roads as well. Does anyone know why?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

brad2971

Likely for the same reason a lot of South Dakota roads appear to have a pink-to-lavender tint to them: Chip seal. The aggregate used for chip seal in TN and MS may have more red tint to it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: brad2971 on May 18, 2020, 05:49:38 PM
Likely for the same reason a lot of South Dakota roads appear to have a pink-to-lavender tint to them: Chip seal. The aggregate used for chip seal in TN and MS may have more red tint to it.

I-40 east of Lehi, AR has the same red tint. Because of the color of the aggregate in the pavement as well.

CtrlAltDel

The most common reason for this is iron compounds in the aggregate. So, broadly speaking, the pavement is red for the same reason your blood is.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Similarly the Mojave Desert has a lot iron content that ends up in asphalt mixes.  The red hue is particularly prevalent in places like the Mojave Preserve. 

Road Hog

I too noticed that Mississippi uses red aggregate for chip seal. It used to be more common in Arkansas going way back. Made the road look older, I thought as a kid. Now it's nearly nonexistent there.

Rothman

Southeastern ID uses red lava rock as a snow treatment.  Turns the pavement red.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Reading, MA has it, and possibly a few other towns, although I see it as purplish red.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

csw

It's all about where the paving contractor can get their materials for cheap, which almost always means the nearest supplier. It's the same reason you see limestone riprap in certain aprts of the country and granite riprap in others.

GaryV

Remember the "red hills of Georgia" line from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech?  There's a lot of red soil in the south, and if it is used in road building, it tints the roads.

There are sections in the MI UP with red roads too, due to iron-bearing materials used.

wriddle082

I had always heard the red or brown aggregate was dredged out of the major barge-trafficked rivers (Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers).  That may not be entirely correct, but thought I should at least throw it out there.

Ketchup99

Maryland, especially the Panhandle, has a lot of red roads. For instance, when coming into Cumberland on US-220, there's no "Welcome to MD" sign, but you can always tell where the state line is by the color of the road.

rlb2024

The pavement fades as it ages from the sun and rain that is prevalent in the South.  Pavement that starts out black loses a lot of color after a few years.

Ironically, I seem to remember that when the Interstates were first built in northern Mississippi the exit and entrance ramps were red -- on purpose.  The ramps were concrete that had been intentionally colored red.

rte66man

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 20, 2020, 07:31:57 AM
I had always heard the red or brown aggregate was dredged out of the major barge-trafficked rivers (Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers).  That may not be entirely correct, but thought I should at least throw it out there.

I doubt the size of aggregates needed for most asphalt mixes comes from river bottoms.  The biggest reason is it usually is too rounded to effectively bind with the other ingredients.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but there is a large quarry just south of the I24/US41 interchange. Asphalt screenings are a byproduct of the primary crushing process. It should be cheaper to get them from there instead of a dredging process which would require additional processing (washing to remove impurities then screening to get he right sized aggregate.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.