News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Iowa says US-20 is too dangerous in Illinois

Started by edwaleni, November 30, 2020, 04:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

With Illinois funding a study to extend Amtrak to Rockford, Dubuque, Iowa now wants to study the same idea.  What was one of the drivers of the study?

According to the Telegraph Herald, Illinois roads just aren't safe.

https://www.telegraphherald.com/news/tri-state/article_2d78d618-6a50-595d-be13-6b970777d079.html

"U.S. 20 from Dubuque to Rockford is a two-lane (highway) and very scenic but not a safe route during certain times,"  said Chandra Ravada, transportation director for East Central Iowa Intergovernmental Association, an entity assisting the committee. "But as we go on, we need other forms of transportation to give options to people."

Since Iowa can't control IDOT highway bills, they can control how alternates are supported.

I-39

And how on earth would this help at all?

Is the previously proposed four lane 20 between Freeport and Galena dead for good? That needs to take priority first. I understand they were previously shooting for a freeway along the corridor, but why not scale it back and make it an expressway to save money.

JREwing78

Quote from: I-39 on November 30, 2020, 05:39:22 PM
Is the previously proposed four lane 20 between Freeport and Galena dead for good? That needs to take priority first. I understand they were previously shooting for a freeway along the corridor, but why not scale it back and make it an expressway to save money.

No. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen in any form, unless something radically changes with IDOT funding. Neither site discussing it has been updated since 2014.

https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/us-20-galena-bypass
http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/us20-freeport

There are obvious benefits to a modern 4-lane highway connecting Dubuque to Freeport. The issue is coming up with the funding for it. Literally the only way projects get done is if the ISTHA builds it out (and then tolls it).

Iowa isn't quite to the point where they're shoveling cash at Illinois to build out their section (much like Canada is paying Michigan's bills for the Gordie Howe bridge connecting Detroit to Windsor). But if Illinois had dirt flying on a modern 4-lane US-20, Iowa would quickly shovel whatever money they could at making the connection.

edwaleni

Here is an editorial from 2011 in Rockford, when the Rockford to Dubuque Expressway was estimated to cost $2 billion to finish. (Despite what this writer puts to print, this section of US 20 is still in the top 5 for accidents causing deaths.)

https://www.rrstar.com/article/20110713/NEWS/307139945

So, the days of the giant, five-year, U.S. surface transportation bills are over. What road dollars there are must be used for high-priority projects. And for 70 years this has not been a high priority. I had a call maybe 10 years ago from an elderly man who had been a friend of my dad's when they were Boy Scouts in the 1920s. He became a road engineer for what was then called the state Highway Department. He told me he was working on the western portion of a four-lane U.S. 20 as long ago as 1937. World War II killed the project, he said, and it has managed to stay killed ever since.

One argument made by proponents of the freeway is that U.S. 20 is a divided four-lane most of the way through Iowa. Yes, it is, and I've driven on it. When I got 25 miles past Dubuque (think "Field of Dreams"  movie set), most traffic vanished into the cornfields. I remember thinking that an airplane could easily have landed on the road without hitting a vehicle.

Now, some advocates in the road promotion community are talking about making the Freeport-to-Galena stretch a tollway. But the folks at the Illinois Tollway have never studied the idea, according to spokeswoman Joelle McGinnis. The tollway has plans for improvements in congested northeast Illinois, where two-thirds of the state's residents live and drive. Most crucial to the Rockford area is the proposed widening of Interstate 90 to six lanes between Rockford and Elgin. Now there's an example of a busy highway.

Over the years the state has made prudent improvements of U.S. 20, most importantly the Freeport bypass, which significantly speeds traffic so that a trip from Rockford to Galena, which used to take nearly two hours, is now an hour and a half. The state has also widened some hilly portions of the road and created passing lanes. The highway is much safer than it was 40 years ago.

The main traffic tie-up is in the city of Galena, where a bypass has long been planned. That needs to be completed, and two-lane bypasses around Elizabeth and Stockton should be considered.

I-39

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 30, 2020, 07:02:57 PM

No. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen in any form, unless something radically changes with IDOT funding. Neither site discussing it has been updated since 2014.

https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/us-20-galena-bypass
http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/us20-freeport

There are obvious benefits to a modern 4-lane highway connecting Dubuque to Freeport. The issue is coming up with the funding for it. Literally the only way projects get done is if the ISTHA builds it out (and then tolls it).

Iowa isn't quite to the point where they're shoveling cash at Illinois to build out their section (much like Canada is paying Michigan's bills for the Gordie Howe bridge connecting Detroit to Windsor). But if Illinois had dirt flying on a modern 4-lane US-20, Iowa would quickly shovel whatever money they could at making the connection.

IDOT's website in general is horrendously out of date (especially in the project section) and not well laid out, but that's another story.

I can't believe Illinois has been unable to build the remaining four lane portion of US 20 between Freeport and Galena, but found the money to build a big portion of IL-336 between Quincy and Macomb which is not needed at all. Even US 67 arguably isn't as big of a priority.

Terry Shea

Quote from: edwaleni on November 30, 2020, 04:58:53 PM
With Illinois funding a study to extend Amtrak to Rockford, Dubuque, Iowa now wants to study the same idea.  What was one of the drivers of the study?

https://www.telegraphherald.com/news/tri-state/article_2d78d618-6a50-595d-be13-6b970777d079.html

"U.S. 20 from Dubuque to Rockford is a two-lane (highway) and very scenic but not a safe route during certain times,"  said Chandra Ravada, transportation director for East Central Iowa Intergovernmental Association, an entity assisting the committee. "But as we go on, we need other forms of transportation to give options to people."

Since Iowa can't control IDOT highway bills, they can control how alternates are supported.
Having never visited this area I perhaps should reserve comment...but I find it very difficult to believe that this could be a scenic area, aside from perhaps crossing the Mississippi.

JREwing78

Quote from: Terry Shea on November 30, 2020, 11:25:33 PM
Having never visited this area I perhaps should reserve comment...but I find it very difficult to believe that this could be a scenic area, aside from perhaps crossing the Mississippi.

The area is part of the "Driftless Area" that spans both sides of the Mississippi from Iowa and Illinois north into Wisconsin and Minnesota. It's a LOT different than central Illinois flatland, particularly in Jo Daviess County.  The region that the 4-lane US-20 is slated to go through is quite hilly, one reason this is a $2 billion project.

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

Many years ago several people at IDOT  have me their views of 20 30 and 34. If Iowa want to pay it get federal money ...we will build them.
Since then Galena wanted a through town improvements. But then didn't want it all 3 lane.The EIS is so old it would have to start from scratch. IDOT  is building a 3 lane segment. If they hadn't diverted all the effort on the fantasy road there could be a much better existing road.

On 30 the only support came from Iowa. The final report to EPA suggested some passing lanes. Iowa has decided that's all it needs on its section of 30. Unlike the vague end to 20 this like US 51 were just cancelled.

Finally US 34 is getting 4 lanes from the end of the Biggsville bypass to hear Monmouth. I expect there will always be a gap because the Corps has really expensive floodplain requirements . That turned into a problem for 30 near Morrison and I wonder if it might not doom 67 between Meridosia and Macomb.

edwaleni

Lots of large valleys from most of the highest points in Illinois (Charles Mound) as the water races down to the Mississippi. There is even a ski resort nearby.

Most people think of Illinois for 3 things, Cubs, farming and Chicago. Geologically it contains some diversity, especially in the northwest section (that we are discussing here) and down in the far south, where the glaciers never made it during the last ice age.

The area around Galena boomed when lead was mined (lead is made of the ore named galena) in 1828. Dubuque, Iowa is named after Julien Dubuque who operated a large lead smelter on the Iowa side of the river.

Illinois lead has been found as far south as Louisiana when the Mississippian natives mined it and took it with them for trade or writing.

edwaleni

ET21

It is extremely scenic, especially during the fall. I'm a part time resident since 2005 in East Galena and it is lovely country
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rick Powell

East Central is the MPO for the area and includes the IL side of the river, just like the MPO for the Quad Cities. So it's not really one state meddling in another's business. The MPO has recognized the US 20 deficiencies for some time now.

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 01, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
East Central is the MPO for the area and includes the IL side of the river, just like the MPO for the Quad Cities. So it's not really one state meddling in another's business. The MPO has recognized the US 20 deficiencies for some time now.

So why hasn't there been a bigger push in the last two decades to finish the four lane US 20 between Freeport and Galena, even a scaled back expressway version? It seems IDOT put US 67 and IL-336 over it when it should have been the other way around.

Honestly, if they hadn't gone for a full blown freeway and accepted a scaled back expressway similar to IL-336, I'll bet it could have been finished by now.

Crash_It

It is incredibly scenic, I took a video this past Spring of a similar stretch in the area

https://youtu.be/5JfStEIkWZo

I was told the freeway was an obsession of a former engineer and there was quite a bit of local opposition.....
336 had a newspaper tv station owner pushing for it.
67 had a PAC.
This is Illinois.

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on December 01, 2020, 06:16:03 PM
I was told the freeway was an obsession of a former engineer and there was quite a bit of local opposition.....
67 had a PAC.
This is Illinois.

Thus, I can sum it up in one word in this state: clout.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2020, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: 3467 on December 01, 2020, 06:16:03 PM
67 had a PAC.
This is Illinois.

Thus, I can sum it up in one word in this state: clout.

To be fair, unlike 67/336, I do think a new four lane highway along 20 is needed, but not as a full freeway. A simple expressway with interchanges at any location requiring a traffic light would be sufficient.

The Ghostbuster

I fear it might be easier to get water to flow uphill than to four-lane US 20 between Dubuque and Rockford.

I have the original Feasibility Study from 1992 . It recommended an expressway. I was told by someone in IDOT planning it was a district engineer that insisted on the freeway.
And you see where that ended up.
None of the old freeway corridors have the volume for a freeway and really don't have it for an expressway. The 2019 counts are on getting around Illinois. Post covid  they would be lower.

There is room for more passing lanes and safety corrections. That needs to be the focus everywhere.
The only 4 lanes left alive are 67 and the southwest connector.
67 and part of the connector have a lot of floodplain . If the Corps repeats 34forget them too.

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on December 01, 2020, 10:03:31 PM
I have the original Feasibility Study from 1992 . It recommended an expressway. I was told by someone in IDOT planning it was a district engineer that insisted on the freeway.
And you see where that ended up.
None of the old freeway corridors have the volume for a freeway and really don't have it for an expressway. The 2019 counts are on getting around Illinois. Post covid  they would be lower.

There is enough on 20 for an expressway. If traffic has gone down, it is because of truckers/cars avoiding the route. If you upgraded the remaining sections to an expressway, we'd see more through traffic return as it would be an alternative to I-80.

It's an utter joke 151 between Madison and Dubuque was upgraded and yet, Illinois has stalled on 20 not only between Freeport and Galena, but the Julian Dubuque bridge as well.

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on December 01, 2020, 10:33:46 PM
Outside Galena it's 3900 to 7700.

Again, this is because most through traffic is avoiding the route. With a four lane road, those numbers would be higher.

froggie

I'm not convinced they'd be that much higher.  Certainly nothing that would push the volumes to 5-digits.  Long range truckers aren't going to shift THAT far north just to avoid I-80...that's a lot of extra time and mileage.  The delays on I-80 aren't so bad that it'd be worth the extra time and expense.

kphoger

With Illinois funding a study to extend Amtrak ...

And how on earth would this help at all?

I wouldn't, of course.  Do people honestly think so many people would start taking Amtrak instead of driving, that the highway would become safer?  Or that people are so scared of driving the highway, they'll choose to take Amtrak instead based on that?

Reality check, people.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.