News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Opinion: US 285 should be signed east-west

Started by usends, June 28, 2021, 09:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

i want to say i remember back when i was a kid, that i-270 was signed 'north' where you got on it at quebec, back when stapleton airport was still there.

*gets worm can opener*
why not sign things with the other points of the compass... like 'northwest' i-270 or something..?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:31:11 AM
i want to say i remember back when i was a kid, that i-270 was signed 'north' where you got on it at quebec, back when stapleton airport was still there.

*gets worm can opener*
why not sign things with the other points of the compass... like 'northwest' i-270 or something..?

I feel like North is probably accurate for 270.  I would think a good chunk of that traffic is going from I-70 west to I-25 north, not saying on US36 towards Westminster/Boulder. 

Chris

SkyPesos

The biggest 3di culprit for being signed in a perpendicular cardinal direction compared to most of its routing is I-278. Seems weird that I'm going "east" when the road is bending to the west at a particular moment, and the overall road is much more N-S.
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:31:11 AM
Ohio used to sign the many diagonal US routes in the state like that. For example, US 42 was signed "N-East (northeast)" and "S-West (southwest)" before. Not sure why it was changed.

mrsman

I can provide another (fictional) alternative to the dilemma.  Perhaps US 285 should either end at CO-470 or multiplex with CO-470 to end at I-70.  This would keep all of US 285, even in the Denver metro, as a primarily N-S route.  C-30 can take over the remaining part of US 285.

thenetwork

Quote from: mrsman on July 21, 2021, 03:58:06 PM
I can provide another (fictional) alternative to the dilemma.  Perhaps US 285 should either end at CO-470 or multiplex with CO-470 to end at I-70.  This would keep all of US 285, even in the Denver metro, as a primarily N-S route.  C-30 can take over the remaining part of US 285.

You could also have US-285 end at parent US-85/Santa Fe Avenue as pretty much the "expressway" portion of US-285 ends there and I would assume the majority of US-285 traffic headed to/from downtown Denver and points north would choose US-85 Santa Fe over I-25.

The Ghostbuster

I dislike it when 3-digit US Highways do not connect with their "parent" routes. Either keep 285's terminus at Interstate 25 or retract it to its junction at US 85. Technically, US 285 does also connect with US 85 in Santa Fe, NM, but since US 85 has long been de-signed in New Mexico (and through much of Colorado south of Castle Rock), I'm not counting it.

JKRhodes

Slightly OT(concerning numbering and not directional signage) and late to the party, but...

My first impression driving 285 was that it served as a sort of a rural, secondary, "back side of the rockies" alternative to I-25 between NM and Colorado.I think it would make more sense to route it up to Leadville and terminate on I-70 at Copper Mountain. That way it's easy to understand that if I wanna get off 70 west of eisenhower and go to Santa Fe, the only route I have to follow is 285.

CO 17 from Alamosa up through Hooper should also be 285 since it's a more direct route up the state. Change the section of 285 between Saguache and Monte Vista to an extension of CO 15

The urban part of 285 and the leg between the metro and fairplay would make more sense if it was an extension of CO 30.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.