News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which 3di font sizes are these?

Started by SkyPesos, March 12, 2021, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

I was looking at my former hometowns of St Louis and Columbus, specifically both of their I-270, on GSV for a bit and saw that there's like 5 different font sizes used for the numbers on 3di signage. Is there a specific name for each font size I found?

1) What I call the 'tall, skinny font'. Probably my least favorite of the bunch because it's hard to read when driving at a high speed:

2) Similar height to the first one with a wider font. I'm not a big fan of this one either for the lack of space between each digit:

3) Slightly shorter and more spaced out numbers than the second example. The sign on the left is my favorite 3di shield of the examples I'm posting here

4) A wider font compared to the above examples. I think this one is too wide compared to its height, but otherwise, it's ok:

5) The default size Ohio is using nowadays, and the most common in the state. My second favorite choice of the five examples here after the left one in the third example:

Henry

Can't tell you the font sizes, but I know that the first sign has Series B numbers, while the others have Series C (the standard font for 3dis and 3dus).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

1) B
2) C
3) C
4) D
5) C

#5 is closest to the federal spec (though the word INTERSTATE is supposed to be wider).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2021, 01:57:19 PM
#5 is closest to the federal spec (though the word INTERSTATE is supposed to be wider).

Is my favorite of the five.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2021, 02:00:07 PM

Is my favorite of the five.

I would also have to agree. I definitely don't like the idea of making the "Interstate" wider though. I've seen some of those and I just don't like the look of them.

Anything reasonable, except for Series B, looks acceptable to me in 3DI shields.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vdeane

4 is actually my personal favorite (and, as mentioned, is Series D), though 5 is the MUTCD standard font for 3di signs.  I'm not sure why the MUTCD doesn't use 4, which matches the standard for 2di signs, and which was used for NY prior to MUTCD adoption.  I also don't get why most states stretch the numbers to such a large size.  IMO doing so is very ugly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

Wider to the level of this example I found for I-270 in MD? For me, I don't really like it that wide; looks out of place with the size of the digits below it.

odditude

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 12, 2021, 10:54:49 PM
Wider to the level of this example I found for I-270 in MD? For me, I don't really like it that wide; looks out of place with the size of the digits below it.

yep, that's it. if i'm not mistaken, it's a more recent change to the spec - and i am certainly not a fan.

PHLBOS

For 3di shields that do not feature 1(s) in the numeral; my preference is #3 left sign w/Series C. 
Such is a good compromise between being too tall (making the numerals more crowded) or too short (making such less readable at a distance & at highway speeds).  IMHO, Series D at a similar height should be used for route numbers containing 1(s) in them.

As far as the INTERSTATE lettering above is concerned; I'm not a fan of the newer wider variant for 3di shields.

IMHO, Series B numerals should not be used at all for 3-digit route numbers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CtrlAltDel

Just to give a overview of how the signs would look next to one another (although without the digits jammed together)

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

PHLBOS

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 13, 2021, 03:35:24 PM
Just to give a overview of how the signs would look next to one another (although without the digits jammed together)

The INTERSTATE lettering on the far-right graphic is Series D; the new federal standard uses Series E per the pic in odditude's post.  Personally, if a wider font had to be used for 3di shields; Series D would be the way to go.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2021, 03:52:12 PM

The INTERSTATE lettering on the far-right graphic is Series D; the new federal standard uses Series E per the pic in odditude's post.  Personally, if a wider font had to be used for 3di shields; Series D would be the way to go.

That's what I had at first, but I changed it since I thought it looked ridiculous. With that correction, though, voilà:

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JoePCool14

Series D would've made so much more sense than Series E there. That one on the right looks perfect IMHO. Thanks FHWA.

SkyPesos

Both of the last two seem to have series D digits. Did you mean to have one of them with smaller series C digits, like my example #5? Or is the only difference you intentionally made is with the 'INTERSTATE' size?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 13, 2021, 08:51:13 PM

Both of the last two seem to have series D digits. Did you mean to have one of them with smaller series C digits, like my example #5? Or is the only difference you intentionally made is with the 'INTERSTATE' size?

The last one, the "INTERSTATE" is in D.

kenarmy

I've always thought Series B is kinda creepy for some reason :crazy:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

SkyPesos

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2021, 02:49:18 PM
IMHO, Series D at a similar height should be used for route numbers containing 1(s) in them.
Here's I-170 with what looks like Series D on the left and Series C on the right

Here's I-271 with Series C size similar to what is in #5 of the op

And yes, Series B does exist even for 3di with a 1. Interesting thing with ODOT: their older 3di signage was in what looks like Series D, then they added in Series B along with D for a bit before using Series C as they do today.

Scott5114

Quote from: odditude on March 13, 2021, 02:37:49 AM

yep, that's it. if i'm not mistaken, it's a more recent change to the spec - and i am certainly not a fan.

That is indeed the federal spec, as of 2003.

The reason why E is used instead of D or C (which is used on 2dis and used to be the federal 3di spec for the crown) is because E is the most legible of the series when the same letter height is used. (Not surprisingly, legibility decreases from there as the letterforms are condensed. I am not sure where F falls on the spectrum, other than that it is less than E.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2021, 10:09:07 PM
Quote from: odditude on March 13, 2021, 02:37:49 AM

That is indeed the federal spec, as of 2003.

The reason why E is used instead of D or C (which is used on 2dis and used to be the federal 3di spec for the crown) is because E is the most legible of the series when the same letter height is used. (Not surprisingly, legibility decreases from there as the letterforms are condensed. I am not sure where F falls on the spectrum, other than that it is less than E.)

At the same time though, we're talking about the word "Interstate" on the blue and red shield. I don't think there's any confusion as to what it says there. It's completely subjective, but I do not like Series E used there.

kphoger

If it's more legible and the letters don't encroach on the white lines, then I see no reason to diss it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 04:48:47 PM
If it's more legible and the letters don't encroach on the white lines, then I see no reason to diss it.

That's clearly the conclusion of AASHTO or the FHWA, or whoever it was that made that decision, but the use of E in the 3DI shield is too noticeably different to be a good idea, in my opinion. I wouldn't though be against changing both the 2DI and 3DI shields to use D:

SkyPesos

Whatever the type is for the 'INTERSTATE' font is on the Wikimedia shields (think it's series D?), it looks like the perfect size to me. Looks like it on all my examples in the op too.

JoePCool14

That would be Series C for both of those shields' "Interstate". The 2DI uses Series D for the numerals. The 3DI uses Series C.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 16, 2021, 06:19:04 PM
Whatever the type is for the 'INTERSTATE' font is on the Wikimedia shields (think it's series D?), it looks like the perfect size to me.

It's C.

SkyPesos

Found a new BGS installation on I-271/I-480 in Cleveland, with 271 in Series D and 480 in Series C. For some reason, I like the look of this, even though the two 3di shields are side to side in different fonts. Not sure if it's better or worse with 271 also in Series C.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.