News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alternatives to four-way stops

Started by tolbs17, June 26, 2021, 09:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

What four-way stops are you referring to? The last link is only a two-way stop.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tolbs17

Dirt Roads

Perhaps tolbs17 is referring to a newer practice by NCDOT to change 2-way stops to 4-way stops due to the occasional occurrence of fatal and near-fatal accidents.  We live close to an intersection that was [upgraded] to a four-way stop a few years ago because of confusion of which one was the "main road".  On the other hand, an intersection on Old Number 10 east of Hillsborough was [downgraded] to a four-way stop five or six years ago presumably for the same reason.

Bitmapped

I've seen similar setups used before in Pennsylvania and Kentucky. The Pennsylvania example on PA 38 at PA 138 north of Butler is much more advanced - it has fiber optic displays on the side road displaying animations of moving cars showing which direction they are coming from. GMSV: https://goo.gl/maps/YHCa6h1yktW6Sn8v5

I like including the displays, both on side road and main road, in cases where there are sight distance limitations. They can eliminate the need for placing 4-way stops or traffic signals to address the sight distance problems when traffic volumes don't want those approaches.

In cases where there are already clear sight lines or they can easily be made clear like in the NC 43 example, I wouldn't use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: Bitmapped on June 27, 2021, 05:20:53 PM
I've seen similar setups used before in Pennsylvania and Kentucky. The Pennsylvania example on PA 38 at PA 138 north of Butler is much more advanced - it has fiber optic displays on the side road displaying animations of moving cars showing which direction they are coming from. GMSV: https://goo.gl/maps/YHCa6h1yktW6Sn8v5

I like including the displays, both on side road and main road, in cases where there are sight distance limitations. They can eliminate the need for placing 4-way stops or traffic signals to address the sight distance problems when traffic volumes don't want those approaches.

In cases where there are already clear sight lines or they can easily be made clear like in the NC 43 example, I wouldn't use them.
What do you think about NC 33 and 43?

tolbs17

Can the Moye-Turnage Rd and US-258 (Wesley Church Rd) intersection do well with a vehicle entering when flashing?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.