News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Triple right turns

Started by DuskDarf1, June 28, 2021, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: tradephoric on July 07, 2021, 08:10:58 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2021, 05:54:25 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on July 06, 2021, 03:15:53 PM
Telegraph and Ensley Drive in Michigan:  https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4777411,-83.2853304,95m/data=!3m1!1e3

The signalized crosswalk before the stop line makes ... no sense.

No it does not!  A semi stopped at the stop-bar would easily block the crosswalk (and the trailer of the semi would likely block the pedestrian signal head so the pedestrian wouldn't even see the "walk" indication).

Ain't nobody walks along Telegraph anyway ...

jakeroot

Quote from: GaryV on July 07, 2021, 12:18:00 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on July 07, 2021, 08:10:58 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2021, 05:54:25 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on July 06, 2021, 03:15:53 PM
Telegraph and Ensley Drive in Michigan:  https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4777411,-83.2853304,95m/data=!3m1!1e3

The signalized crosswalk before the stop line makes ... no sense.

No it does not!  A semi stopped at the stop-bar would easily block the crosswalk (and the trailer of the semi would likely block the pedestrian signal head so the pedestrian wouldn't even see the "walk" indication).

Ain't nobody walks along Telegraph anyway ...

Well, they did. But they kept getting hit by cars!

mrsman

tradephoric

MASTERNC

This is more meant to be a sweeping movement but it is signal controlled.  It's on the off-ramp from US 422 WB at PA 363 outside Philly.

kj3400

Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

tradephoric

Hasn't been constructed yet but Colonial Blvd and Forum Blvd near Fort Myers is designed for quadruple right turn lanes:

Hobart

Quote from: tradephoric on August 23, 2021, 10:47:17 AM
Hasn't been constructed yet but Colonial Blvd and Forum Blvd near Fort Myers is designed for quadruple right turn lanes:

That is a quite massive Michigan Left (or whatever the thing is where it's like a Michigan Left without a thru direction) situation going on. I wonder if traffic will move through it well.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Hobart on August 23, 2021, 08:46:29 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on August 23, 2021, 10:47:17 AM

That is a quite massive Michigan Left (or whatever the thing is where it's like a Michigan Left without a thru direction) situation going on. I wonder if traffic will move through it well.

It gets to that point where if you have signals on the Michigan lefts, maybe it's really not that worthwhile.  Not to mention motorists needing to know which lane to be in prior to making their first right, making a tight u-turn to avoid those making a wider u-turn, then needing to make another right.

Based on this, it appears someone who wants to go straight across needs to be in the left-most right turn lane, then the right-most u-turn lane, then the right lane to simply get across the intersection.

connroadgeek

Why does Florida have such massive intersections? I don't think I've seen that anywhere else, at least not to that degree.

MCRoads

Quote from: tradephoric on July 12, 2021, 10:34:59 AM
I-270 and High Street in Worthington, Ohio: 
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1140364,-83.0164306,118m/data=!3m1!1e3

A little off topic, but why does NB high street have a grade separated expressway, but SB high st doesn't?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

NWI_Irish96

I-465 WB exit at Keystone has a triple right.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadsguy

Philadelphia has a quad right turn on the ramp carrying I-676 from the Vine Street Expressway to the Ben Franklin Bridge. (Yes, you read that correctly.) It's definitely cheating a bit, though, like the proposed one in Fort Myers, since the right turn is the only allowed movement here.

There used to be another similar all-traffic quad right turn in Center City on Market Street where it hit Center Square, though this was recently reduced to three lanes to make room for a bike lane, as seen in the latest Street View.

I'm unaware of any other quad turn lanes in Pennsylvania–left or right–or any other triple right turns besides Market Street.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 31, 2021, 06:33:10 PM
Philadelphia has a quad right turn on the ramp carrying I-676 from the Vine Street Expressway to the Walt Whitman Bridge. (Yes, you read that correctly.) It's definitely cheating a bit, though, like the proposed one in Fort Myers, since the right turn is the only allowed movement here.

There used to be another similar all-traffic quad right turn in Center City on Market Street where it hit Center Square, though this was recently reduced to three lanes to make room for a bike lane, as seen in the latest Street View.

I'm unaware of any other quad turn lanes in Pennsylvania–left or right–or any other triple right turns besides Market Street.

Do you mean the Ben Franklin Bridge?

I mentioned the one in Trooper PA that was a signalized sweeping movement from an off-ramp. There is also a quasi right turn with three lanes (loop ramp) at PA 581 and US 15 near Harrisburg.

Then there is this mess off I-76 at City Ave, where you have two off ramps join together to make a right turn onto City Ave.  Not only that, but you have a lot of jockeying for the next signal, where many EB cars want to turn left to access Fairmount Park roads to bypass I-76, and other cars want to turn right to access office buildings.

https://goo.gl/maps/WNcgkGiqcQMPyMtE8

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 05, 2021, 04:16:19 PM
Do you mean the Ben Franklin Bridge?

Ssshhhhh I don't know what you're talking about?

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 05, 2021, 04:16:19 PM
I mentioned the one in Trooper PA that was a signalized sweeping movement from an off-ramp.

Huh, not only did I miss that upthread, but I forgot that they even added that. I guess it is technically a triple right turn, as are the US 15 and US 1 examples you mentioned, though the latter two are definitely in the same "kinda cheating" category as the quad right turns I mentioned in my previous post.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rellis97

Two right-turn lanes and a shared straight-right-turn lane on WB Square Lake Rd at Telegraph Rd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6030561,-83.2882828,3a,75y,276.2h,91.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srhbdBAfNAxzBPjcSn40y5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Note the two missing US-24 shields that are supposed to mark the southern terminus of BUS US-24, below the lane control signs.

MCRoads

I found one in Australia! They drive on the left, so the equivalent of a triple right is a triple left.

https://goo.gl/maps/1zBaokJ5PHPASbee6
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

JayhawkCO

Quote from: DuskDarf1 on June 28, 2021, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on June 28, 2021, 02:44:26 PM
The exit from NB I-225 to CO 83 in the Denver area has a signalized triple-right turn.

Wow, a triple left AND right!

Just FYI, they've recently updated this intersection so now it's a triple left and a quadruple right.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6574581,-104.8436818,3a,75y,63.61h,87.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCRaF4DWTznoD3snRWgNUrA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Chris

jakeroot

^^^
Holy cow, that's nuts! Quadruple right turns aren't totally unheard of, but out west, they sure aren't common. Seems like a northeast thing mostly.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on October 27, 2021, 02:50:02 PM
^^^
Holy cow, that's nuts! Quadruple right turns aren't totally unheard of, but out west, they sure aren't common. Seems like a northeast thing mostly.

A northeast thing? That Aurora example is unlike anything I've ever seen. It would be more likely that you'd find something like this in Ontario (maybe the Toronto area?), given that most of the big cities in the US Northeast have old/original infrastructure that would rarely to never have the right of way for that many turning lanes (the Philadelphia examples upthread being an exception). I suspect even triple turn lanes (both left and right) are more common in the West than they are in the Northeast.

JayhawkCO

I guess I don't realize it's that rare since that's the exit I take to get home more often than not.  Glad I can live by such a unique road feature.  :bigass:

Chris

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 03:02:39 PM
^^^

A northeast thing? That Aurora example is unlike anything I've ever seen. It would be more likely that you'd find something like this in Ontario (maybe the Toronto area?), given that most of the big cities in the US Northeast have old/original infrastructure that would rarely to never have the right of way for that many turning lanes (the Philadelphia examples upthread being an exception). I suspect even triple turn lanes (both left and right) are more common in the West than they are in the Northeast.

Triple turns are not necessarily unusual anywhere. The only other examples I knew of, of a quadruple right turn, are in New York City: one exiting northbound out of the Brooklyn—Battery Tunnel, and another at Columbus Circle. There was also a quadruple right turn in downtown Philly. So of the four I knew of, two were in Penna and the other two in NYC. And I'm sure NYC has at least one more tucked away somewhere. But I've never heard of one out west. The Aurora example seems to be the first.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on October 27, 2021, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 03:02:39 PM
^^^

Triple turns are not necessarily unusual anywhere. The only other examples I knew of, of a quadruple right turn, are in New York City: one exiting northbound out of the Brooklyn—Battery Tunnel, and another at Columbus Circle. There was also a quadruple right turn in downtown Philly. So of the four I knew of, two were in Penna and the other two in NYC. And I'm sure NYC has at least one more tucked away somewhere. But I've never heard of one out west. The Aurora example seems to be the first.

I guess I was thinking more of triple left and right turns with my comments. Quadruples seem to be rare across the board, while triples are easier to find, but still not necessarily common.

When I think of a triple turn the first thing that comes to mind is a new, modern interchange in the West or Southwest, similar to the Aurora example. There are certainly a few around in the Northeast, but most interchanges either don't have the ROW or didn't need it when they were constructed and have never been upgraded, so I couldn't list more than a few offhand.

BuildTheRussian

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.