News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Five Minute Signal

Started by roadman65, July 12, 2021, 10:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Yes, there is a five minute traffic light controlling traffic under a hill in Sausilito, CA.   The tunnel is two lanes, but the city or county decided to allow bicyclists to have two lanes each way.  In addition to get to the overlook to see the GG Bridge, you now have to go through this tunnel as the way up from US 101 is now one way down.  Again, the reason: another bike lane.
[/img]

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Worth it though for Conzelman Road.

Flint1979

I think there is one in New Jersey somewhere too that you can get stuck at for five minutes.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 12:11:39 AM
I think there is one in New Jersey somewhere too that you can get stuck at for five minutes.

North of I-80 at the Delaware Water Gap Bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 12, 2021, 10:30:25 PM
Yes, there is a five minute traffic light controlling traffic under a hill in Sausilito, CA.   The tunnel is two lanes, but the city or county decided to allow bicyclists to have two lanes each way.  In addition to get to the overlook to see the GG Bridge, you now have to go through this tunnel as the way up from US 101 is now one way down.  Again, the reason: another bike lane.
[/img]

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2021, 11:22:41 PM

My question is that once they decided to make Conzelman one-way to the east, why wasn't Bunker Rd made one-way to the west?  It would seem that if they anticipate traffic going a little bit out of their way in order to reach some of the parkland resources, that it could be done in both directions.

Also, that tunnel seems awfully narrow for two bike lanes and one road lane.  I can imagine that it must be quite hairy to have driven it when it was two way.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on July 13, 2021, 03:46:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 12, 2021, 10:30:25 PM
[/img]

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2021, 11:22:41 PM

My question is that once they decided to make Conzelman one-way to the east, why wasn't Bunker Rd made one-way to the west?  It would seem that if they anticipate traffic going a little bit out of their way in order to reach some of the parkland resources, that it could be done in both directions.

Also, that tunnel seems awfully narrow for two bike lanes and one road lane.  I can imagine that it must be quite hairy to have driven it when it was two way.

Having ridden through said tunnel it admittedly is an unpleasant experience even now.  That said, there is enough cyclists going to Marin Headlands that they probably to easily convince the Park Service to change the traffic configuration.  Essentially a bigger tunnel or excavated road is warranted to carry traffic into the Headlands but will likely never happen. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.