Very small towns signed far away on distance signs

Started by thspfc, July 30, 2021, 01:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

On WI-70 westbound at the intersection with US-51 between Minocqua and Woodruff, there is a distance sign that reads:

Fifield 38
Ojibwa 78

Fifield, population 988, being signed 38 miles away is unconventional in and of itself. But Ojibwa is way smaller at 267 people, and is signed 78 miles away!

Takumi

Burkeville, VA, population 432, is on a sign at the east end of US 360, 136 miles away.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

This actually fits here better than it did in the thread it was originally posted in:

Quote from: Chris on June 24, 2016, 01:24:59 PM
Poland signs the remote focal point on its highways. In case of highways reaching a border, they sign the border town along the entire length of a route. So that means Jędrzychowice, a village with a population of 670, is signed across the country from hundreds of miles away...

In the other direction, they sign Korczowa, population 660, located at the Ukrainian border.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 30, 2021, 02:00:31 PM
Deadhorse, Population 25

That doesn't count thousands of oilfields workers there at any given time. Coldfoot actually has a smaller permanent population, with few temporary workers (no oil production, basically just a truck stop and a handful of government employees).

P.S.: As I've explained to you elsewhere, it's uncool to post photos that stock photo companies are offering for sale, unless you've paid the license fee. Anyway, if you looked harder, you could've found a similar free photo on one of my websites.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on July 30, 2021, 03:36:05 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 30, 2021, 02:00:31 PM
Deadhorse, Population 25

That doesn't count thousands of oilfields workers there at any given time. Coldfoot actually has a smaller permanent population, with few temporary workers (no oil production, basically just a truck stop and a handful of government employees).

P.S.: As I've explained to you elsewhere, it's uncool to post photos that stock photo companies are offering for sale, unless you've paid the license fee. Anyway, if you looked harder, you could've found a similar free photo on one of my websites.
Or even street view, for that matter.  This particular sign was fairly easy to find - it even has a point of interest on the map, with 4.6 stars over 60 reviewers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bitmapped

Unincorporated Seneca Rocks, WV, population maybe a couple dozen, is signed on WV 28 from 50 miles away at Dunmore. Marlinton, WV, population 961, is signed 64 miles away on US 219.

In sparsely populated areas, it often comes down to signing towns that are junctions with other major routes even if they are very small.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

Isn't there a mileage sign on I-70 in Baltimore with Cove Fort, UT on it?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on July 31, 2021, 01:10:56 AM
Yes but that's more of a novelty sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Road Hog

Arkansas signs on I-40 westbound Fort Smith, which is destined to be a very small town as other towns grow around it.

Rothman

Quote from: Road Hog on July 31, 2021, 02:23:51 AM
Arkansas signs on I-40 westbound Fort Smith, which is destined to be a very small town as other towns grow around it.
No.  Fort Smith is a city.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

What? I don't get it.

Brandon

Doesn't this kind of define I-80 throughout Pennsylvania?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Fort Smith's current population is over 87K, making it the second-largest city in Arkansas. The populations of the "very small towns" mentioned in this thread have three-digit or smaller populations. Quite a radical drop you're projecting for Fort Smith, even if we use projections in this thread (we shouldn't, we're citing current populations).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Not sure what exactly constitutes "very small" or "far away", but Kentland, IN, has a population of 1,748 and gets singed 47 miles away from the north on US 41.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 01, 2021, 08:47:56 PM
Not sure what exactly constitutes "very small" or "far away", but Kentland, IN, has a population of 1,748 and gets singed 47 miles away from the north on US 41.

Similarly, Grand Marais, MN (pop. 1305) is signed for 104 miles away at its first mention where MN 61 leaves Duluth.

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 02, 2021, 01:10:10 AM

Similarly, Grand Marais, MN (pop. 1305) is signed for 104 miles away at its first mention where MN 61 leaves Duluth.
Not much out there besides Two Harbors, Grand Marais and Grand Portage, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zachary_amaryllis

just outside sterling, colorado. sterling itself is what.. 10,000 or so?
otis is a wide spot on us 36, or maybe 34 -- can't recall.

https://goo.gl/maps/nqurePcVcTkvuPVj6
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 30, 2021, 10:29:10 PM
Marlinton, WV, population 961, is signed 64 miles away on US 219.

That sure stretches the definition of "very small".  Marlinton has a couple of stoplights, a hospital, several restaurants, a grocery store, a school...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2021, 07:02:31 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 02, 2021, 01:10:10 AM

Not much out there besides Two Harbors, Grand Marais and Grand Portage, though.

Yes, but the thread wasn't that specific.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on August 02, 2021, 02:08:03 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on July 30, 2021, 10:29:10 PM
Marlinton, WV, population 961, is signed 64 miles away on US 219.

That sure stretches the definition of "very small".  Marlinton has a couple of stoplights, a hospital, several restaurants, a grocery store, a school...

Marlinton is also the first incorporated place north of Lewisburg on 219, if I'm not mistaken. Of course, there is no prohibition on using non-incorporated places on interstate exits (you pass by exits for Dawson, Sam Black Church, and Alta before you get to Lewisburg if you're traveling east), but still.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Quote from: US 89 on July 31, 2021, 01:10:56 AM
Yes, and it was installed as a test sign for Clearview.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DandyDan

There's this unusual 4-city sign leaving Manly, Iowa going east on IA 9 where the second city is Riceville, population 761 as of the 2010 Census. I don't have any idea why it's there because it's not the next city on the route (that's Osage) and it's not a county seat, which Cresco and Decorah,  the other two cities on the sign, are.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.