News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 09, 2022, 04:05:00 PM
Holy shit Netherlands last minute goal. Let's see who pulls this one out.

Hope the US was taking lessons on how to run a set piece.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 09, 2022, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 09, 2022, 04:05:00 PM
Holy shit Netherlands last minute goal. Let's see who pulls this one out.

Hope the US was taking lessons on how to run a set piece.

Emiliano Martinez with two ridiculous saves. Argentina moves on.

Ted$8roadFan

Great games today, exciting until the very end.

Bruce

Grant Wahl, possibly the most prominent American soccer journalist, died at one of the quarterfinal matches. Foul play is not certain yet.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/09/1142054844/grant-wahl-soccer-writer-dies-qatar-world-cup

He has been reporting heavily on the migrant deaths in Qatar and was also detained because he wore a rainbow shirt while entering one match, despite FIFA allowing that to happen.

thspfc

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 09, 2022, 05:25:00 PM
Great games today, exciting until the very end.
Netherlands/Argentina was one of the best games I've ever seen. With obvious recency bias, my top 3 is Juventus/Porto 2021 UCL second leg, France/Switzerland euros round of 16, and Netherlands/Argentina today.

US 89

Quote from: Bruce on December 09, 2022, 11:35:50 PM
Grant Wahl, possibly the most prominent American soccer journalist, died at one of the quarterfinal matches. Foul play is not certain yet.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/09/1142054844/grant-wahl-soccer-writer-dies-qatar-world-cup

He has been reporting heavily on the migrant deaths in Qatar and was also detained because he wore a rainbow shirt while entering one match, despite FIFA allowing that to happen.

Oh shit, he was a journalist? I didn't realize that. Certainly brings my opinion of Qatar down many notches...

Bruce

Quote from: US 89 on December 10, 2022, 02:44:17 AM
Oh shit, he was a journalist? I didn't realize that. Certainly brings my opinion of Qatar down many notches...

Probably the most well-respected American soccer journalist of the past 20 years. Wrote a lot of cover stories for SI about soccer when American media was loathe to provide real coverage.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on December 10, 2022, 03:52:16 AM

Probably the most well-respected American soccer journalist of the past 20 years. Wrote a lot of cover stories for SI about soccer when American media was loathe to provide real coverage.

Granted I follow a lot of soccer people on social, but I don't think I've seen this kind of outpouring among journalists, even from other sports. He had maybe brought more attention to both men's and women's soccer in this country than anyone else. I reaaalllly hope it was natural causes, but I'm a bit dubious.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 10, 2022, 09:29:32 AM
Quote from: Bruce on December 10, 2022, 03:52:16 AM

Granted I follow a lot of soccer people on social, but I don't think I've seen this kind of outpouring among journalists, even from other sports. He had maybe brought more attention to both men's and women's soccer in this country than anyone else. I reaaalllly hope it was natural causes, but I'm a bit dubious.
It sounds like it was natural causes, even according to Wahl himself: https://apnews.com/article/journalist-grant-wahl-dies-in-qatar-covering-world-cup-82829df66ec0635bdbba3e8edccea96d

Hunty2022

Goodbye Ronaldo?

Morocco 1 - Portugal 0
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

NWI_Irish96

Wow what a set of quarterfinal games!

I can't imagine a more entertaining set of four games than what we got over the past two days.

The final game decided by the Tottenham striker sailing a PK well over the head of the Tottenham goalkeeper.

Argentina vs Croatia Tuesday
Morocco vs France Wednesday

jgb191

The British had two teams in the Cup and both are now eliminated.  Wonder why they get to have two teams and all other countries can only send one each.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bruce

Quote from: jgb191 on December 11, 2022, 12:24:44 AM
The British had two teams in the Cup and both are now eliminated.  Wonder why they get to have two teams and all other countries can only send one each.

Grandfathered in because they have separate FAs for England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar. Wales was able to qualify after decades of falling short in UEFA competition, while Scotland has a mixed record.

Other dependent territories have their own teams as well, including American Samoa, Hong Kong, Macau, Montserrat, New Caledonia, the Faroe Islands, and Curacao.

NWI_Irish96

Argentina saw how game that goes to PK against Croatia ends and took care of things within the 90 minutes.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 18, 2022, 08:53:01 AM
Final:
France over Argentina

Final outcome still to be determined, but I got the right teams.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on June 16, 2022, 06:46:03 PM
Final
Argentina over France
Same as above except I took Argentina.

CNGL-Leudimin

France vs Argentina should have been the 3rd place match instead of Morocco vs Croatia.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

I really don't get why the Europeans always want to stage a third-place game in events of this sort. I suppose with the Olympics the idea is that they award a bronze medal in everything, so they have to have some way to decide that. Apparently at the 1994 World Cup, both teams in the third-place game received third-place awards, which in that case made playing the game arguably that much more pointless (I gather that has not been done again).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: thspfc on December 14, 2022, 03:58:20 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 16, 2022, 06:46:03 PM
Final
Argentina over France
Same as above except I took Argentina.

Well, one of you is bound to be right...

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 16, 2022, 08:24:18 AM
I really don't get why the Europeans always want to stage a third-place game in events of this sort. I suppose with the Olympics the idea is that they award a bronze medal in everything, so they have to have some way to decide that. Apparently at the 1994 World Cup, both teams in the third-place game received third-place awards, which in that case made playing the game arguably that much more pointless (I gather that has not been done again).

NCAA basketball tournament used to have a 3rd place game.

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 16, 2022, 12:55:12 PM

NCAA basketball tournament used to have a 3rd place game.

I know–my school won the final such game prior to it being discontinued over 40 years ago. The NCAA understood that third place still just means you lost!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

It's important for the FIFA World Rankings, which are used for seeding in future tournaments. Also helps pad out the travel/ticket packages that fans of the losing semifinalists have paid for.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Bruce on December 16, 2022, 10:21:02 PM

It's important for the FIFA World Rankings, which are used for seeding in future tournaments. Also helps pad out the travel/ticket packages that fans of the losing semifinalists have paid for.

The teams themselves certainly take the third-place game quite seriously.

therocket

Oh my goodness the World Cup final is going to penalties

Hunty2022

ARGENTINA WINS the WORLD CUP in PENALTIES!!
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.