News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

1) I saw my first centerline rumble strip in Indiana on SR 26 near Kokomo. I know the contract lettings had one for US 231, but the first bids were rejected.

2) News article: INDOT Nears Construction Season End

mukade

I was in South Bend, Mishawaka, and Elkhart today househunting for my daughter. In addition to seeing the normal projects like US 31, I went down Elkhart County CR 17 on the way home. I'm familiar with the northern part, but I was a bit surprised to see the southern part which is an expressway from at least US 33 (maybe US 20) south past SR 119 to CR 58. Also of interest, it goes from expressway to a narrow dirt road at CR 58. I've seen this out west, but not in Indiana.

This made me think of the phenomena here where non-intercity state roads in Indiana are dwindling, but locally maintained expressways or freeways are being built. These are the ones I am aware of:
- Elkhart CR 17 - expressway serves as eastern bypass of Elkhart and western bypass of Goshen
- Keystone Pkwy - old SR 431 in Carmel where access is now fully controlled from 96th Street up to US 31
- University Pkwy - expressway that serves as a western bypass of Evansville
- Ronald Reagan Pkwy - still being built in Hendricks County west of Indianapolis

Shorter versions are:
- 146th Street/Campus Pkwy in Noblesville and Fishers
- Airport Expressway in Fort Wayne

A future one will probably be Mt. Comfort Rd. in Hancock County/Olio Rd. in Hamilton County which will serve as a eastern beltway of Indy.

Normally, one would think these would all be state routes.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on October 27, 2012, 10:58:27 PM
I was in South Bend, Mishawaka, and Elkhart today househunting for my daughter. In addition to seeing the normal projects like US 31, I went down Elkhart County CR 17 on the way home. I'm familiar with the northern part, but I was a bit surprised to see the southern part which is an expressway from at least US 33 (maybe US 20) south past SR 119 to CR 58. Also of interest, it goes from expressway to a narrow dirt road at CR 58. I've seen this out west, but not in Indiana.

That's CR 38, not 58.  Elkhart County has plans to extend the expressway from CR 38 down to US 6 but is not actively working on funding the project at this time.  (Kosciusko County has also discussed extending the road as far south as US 30.)  The next item on the list is to upgrade CR 38 from CR 17 to US 33, which would essentially complete a Western bypass of Goshen.

Between the Elkhart CR 17 project, the US 31 project, and the IN 331/Capital Ave project, north-south travel in St Joseph/Elkhart counties is about to get much easier.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Yes, CR 38, not CR 58. Upgrading CR 38 would be great as going through Goshen is vey slow and painful. It would be amazing to see CR 17/CR 200W upgraded to expressway to US 30, but I doubt it would be justified. They definitely need some sort of interchange on CR 17 at US 33, though.

Similar to these locally-controlled expressways, INDOT is building two new ones now: SR 331 in Mishawaka and US 231 in West Lafayette. Both of these will greatly improve traffic in their areas. Maybe someday there will also be the US 231 Jasper bypass, but NW Indiana and Indianapolis areas are the ones that really need more such highways.

mukade

The US 231 Lafayette bypass (which will also carry US 52) seems to be coming along nicely. The majority of the road is paved with only the hill from River Rd. to the airport remaining as a significant gap. Where the road meets existing US 52, they have yet to begin the intersection, but you can see the new road almost reaching. Yesterday, they were paving the SR 26 intersection just west of Purdue University.

I haven't heard when this is supposed to open, but I doubt that it will be this year.

This bypass is a much needed improvement, but I still think Lafayette needs another good east-west road. They are still finishing the westbound reconstruction of Sagamore Parkway (currently US 52) so both directions temporarily use the eastbound lanes. The eastbound traffic backup going into the construction area was over a mile yesterday.

mukade

The new rest area on I-69 near Auburn opened and another one near Markle on I-69 closed.

New I-69 rest area opened Thursday (WANE)

mukade

Here is an update on the US 231 West Lafayette bypass from JCOnline.

U.S. 231 project slows for winter

tvketchum

Another section of Ronald Reagan Parkway to open-

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121130/NEWS/212010319/Finally-Indiana-parkway-offers-link-from-70-U-S-36?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Indianapolis News

Now, if INDOT would swap SR 267 for the RRP, it could be finished sooner, and take some load off of a two lane through Plainfield, where it has to zig zag, and Brownsburg.

tdindy88

I saw the picture in the Star of the bridge this morning, am I to assume that it is four lanes south all the way to Plainfield then? On a similar note, I noticed driving out to Brownsburg for Thanksgiving last week that Exit 68 on I-74 is now the Clermont/Brownsburg exit, with no menton of the road's name execpt for a sign at the overpass for the RRP at the exit. Any ideas on why that was done?

tvketchum

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 01, 2012, 11:41:09 AM
I saw the picture in the Star of the bridge this morning, am I to assume that it is four lanes south all the way to Plainfield then? On a similar note, I noticed driving out to Brownsburg for Thanksgiving last week that Exit 68 on I-74 is now the Clermont/Brownsburg exit, with no menton of the road's name execpt for a sign at the overpass for the RRP at the exit. Any ideas on why that was done?

I believe it is due to the fact that Ronald Reagan Parkway does not yet connect to the segment at I 74. That is yet to be built, and will likely be bridged over the CSX line which parallels US 136.

silverback1065

That's interesting, I've read that SR 120 was supposed to use CR 17 down to US 20.  I wonder if INDOT will ever swap some its routes for these, the new ring around Indy would make sense to be all state routes. Plus they would all get done faster. 

mukade

As drivers are finally learning to navigate roundabouts, the state is poised to cross-up the motoring public again with a new highway ramp design that flips traffic to the opposite sides of the road...

Indiana highways to get new look with diverging diamond interchanges (Indy Star)

In addition to the two listed, if I remember correctly, another DDI is planned along the new I-265 section at will feed the Louisville east end bridge (I think a rebuild at SR 62). As for the one planned at SR 1 (Dupont Rd.) in Fort Wayne, because the new interchange at Union Chapel Road is now open, I was under the impression construction would begin this spring.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM
1) I saw my first centerline rumble strip in Indiana on SR 26 near Kokomo. I know the contract lettings had one for US 231, but the first bids were rejected.

2) News article: INDOT Nears Construction Season End

I've seen these on SR 38 east of SR 39

thefro

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/house-republicans-restore-k12-funding-45012/

The new Indiana GOP House budget has $250 million more per year in road/bridge funding.  Obviously they still have to neogtiate with Governor Pence (who wants his 10% State Income Tax cut), and the also GOP-controlled Senate.  Not going to be quite as much as they were getting from Major Moves, but it should be enough to fund well-needed projects out there.

QuoteTransportation Funding

The House Republican budget proposal contains what Brown calls one of the strongest, sustainable, long-term investments in infrastructure funding he's seen in his legislative career.

Funding for Indiana's roads and bridges has been a source of concern after the state's Major Moves dollars were tapped out by various projects, notably Interstate-69.

House Speaker Brian Bosma says he has heard from several of Indiana's major corporations worried about the condition of Indiana's roads.

"The phrase "˜Our infrastructure is crumbling' has come up more than once and I've noticed it myself just driving on the highway. So we're going to have to invest here in a strong fashion,"  he says.

Proposals in the House GOP budget would permanently increase road and bridge funding by $250 million a year.  Brown says that is done, in part, by ending diversions of the gas tax that help fund the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and State Police.

"If you have a dedicated tax, it should go for the dedicated purpose. 18.8 cents of gas tax should go for roads and bridges, shouldn't it?"  Brown says.

The House GOP budget also allocates 20 percent of the state sales tax on gasoline for infrastructure. Brown says the money is not targeted to specific projects, such the completion of I-69.

tdindy88

Since this appears to be the miscellenous page for Indiana projects, I'll put this here. Looking at very recent signage plans I saw some things with the upcoming construction project at the interchange with I-465 and I-65 on the south side of Indianapolis, the second component of the Operation Indy Commute project (the other being work on I-69 on the northeast side.) The project features a new two-lane flyover ramp for WB 465 to SB 65 traffic and a widened ramp for NB 65 to EB 465 traffic. These traffic movements currently feature a heavy load of traffic that the original interchange wasn't built for (as the interchange was designed best for traffic moving into Downtown Indianapolis and back to the south side, not from the 465 loop. The project also adds auxilary lanes for I-465 from the interchange east to Emerson Avenue and on I-65 south from the interchange to Southport Road, effectively making both eight lanes in width. Being a local of the south side and one who travels through here every day this project is of interest for me, but it is one of the more troublesome chokepoints of Indy's freeway system so the project is needed. More info can be found at the website: http://www.in.gov/indot/3072.htm

Anyway, the signage plans do show a couple of changes with what is currently there, all button-copy that will be going away sadly. First, Peoria and Cincinnati appear as control cities for the loop as was recently redone at the I-70 interchange on the westside. And second, the northbound I-65 approach to the I-465 ramps will feature what I think is the first "one arrow per lane" signage in the state, or the first I know of. Three arrows pointing up will direct 65 traffic toward Indianapolis while another arrow curves up for the ramp for I-465 westbound traffic. Eastbound I-465 traffic, which gets two lanes interestingly gets its own sign and is not a part of the aforementioned sign.

NWI_Irish96

I use the NB-->EB and WB-->SB movements there a lot so yes, it is greatly needed but boy will it be a pain while under construction. 

hbelkins

I never understood why Peoria is the control city for I-74 westbound. I'd think Champaign/Urbana (intersection of I-57 and I-72) or Bloomington/Normal (intersection of I-55 and I-39) would be more appropriate, since there is no major Interstate highway intersection at Peoria and both the above examples are decent-sized cities.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

In Mishawaka, the SR 331 railroad underpass just south of SR 933 is opening today. 

NWI_Irish96

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/article_53f6d764-068e-11e3-98c2-0019bb30f31a.html

QuoteMISHAWAKA
Work began this week on a new road that will link Capital Avenue and Fir Road, giving access to 240 acres of vacant land where city officials hope to see development.
Mayor Dave Wood foresees that the three-quarters of a mile road will feel like Edison Lakes Parkway, with lighting, landscaping and a multi-use trail for walking or biking alongside the new road.
It will hook up to Capital right at the Indiana Toll Road interchange, then link to Fir Road at Grande Vista Drive.

ShawnP

Anyone know when the tolls went off on the Bradenburg-Corydon Bridge on Indiana 135? What were the toll rates? I know they opened it in the 60's.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nwi_navigator_1181

A couple of notes from Northwest Indiana:

Just at the separation point for traffic transitioning from I-65 North to I-80/94 west in Gary, a yellow diamond sign accompanied with a flashing yellow light warns semi-truck drivers of a potential tipping hazard as they take the curve under I-65. There have been numerous incidents of trucks coming into the curve too fast and tipping over for the last year.

Also, a new brown guidance sign has been placed on I-80/94 eastbound, a mile before the Ripley Street interchange. The purpose is to let drivers know which exits to take for the frequently visited destinations of the Indiana Dunes. For West Beach, use exit 15B (Indiana 51 north to US 20); for the Portage Lakefront, use exit 19 (Indiana 249); and for the Indiana Dunes Visitor Center, use exit 26B (Indiana 49 north).

In Hammond, the Nine Span Bridge Project in Hammond is moving as scheduled. Beams are being put in place, and pouring should begin later in September. The project should be finished in time for the Holidays.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2013, 12:09:13 PM
I never understood why Peoria is the control city for I-74 westbound. I'd think Champaign/Urbana (intersection of I-57 and I-72) or Bloomington/Normal (intersection of I-55 and I-39) would be more appropriate, since there is no major Interstate highway intersection at Peoria and both the above examples are decent-sized cities.

Probably because back when control cities were being decided, Blormal and Chambana weren't as big as Peoria.  From Wikipedia

* Population of Peoria in 1950:  111,856
* Population of Peoria in 1960:  103,162 (though it's up to 126,963 in 1970)

* Population of Bloomington in 1950:  34,163
* Population of Bloomington in 1960:  36,274
* Population of Normal in 1950:  9,772
* Population of Normal in 1960:  13,357

* Population of Champaign in 1950:  39,563
* Population of Champaign in 1960:  49,583
* Population of Urbana is unfortunately not available for most years, but the 2010 population was 41,250

Also back in the early days both areas would not have been as important of junctions since neither I-72 nor I-39 were part of the original interstate plans; I-57 and I-55 are kind of double back routes in a sense that long distance interstate traffic (such as motorist going from Indianapolis to Chicago and beyond) would not change to those other interstates.

Captain Jack

Rarely, do you see cities under 100,000 listed as control cities. The metropolitan Peoria area, with Pekin, is somewhat larger than both Blormal and Chambana. Also, when an interstate actually goes into the heart of a city, it is usually chosen as a control city. 74 goes right through the heart of Peoria, where it skirts both Blormal and Chambana. If these cities were to be used as control cities on 74, then places like Terre Haute on 70, Anderson on 69, and Bowling Green on 65 should also be used.

Indyroads

Quote from: Captain Jack on September 12, 2013, 01:54:26 AM

Rarely, do you see cities under 100,000 listed as control cities. The metropolitan Peoria area, with Pekin, is somewhat larger than both Blormal and Chambana. Also, when an interstate actually goes into the heart of a city, it is usually chosen as a control city. 74 goes right through the heart of Peoria, where it skirts both Blormal and Chambana. If these cities were to be used as control cities on 74, then places like Terre Haute on 70, Anderson on 69, and Bowling Green on 65 should also be used.

Following this then should the control city for I-69 south from Indianapolis be Memphis TN since it doesn't go directly through Evansville or Paducah. It also bypasses Bloomington to the east, but that would also suffice as a control city as far as I am concerned.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.