News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 01, 2019, 08:53:14 AM
I looked for something but I found nothing. Share in the nothing with me.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

In March 2017, I started taking Wikipedia pictures of the old Sinclair Gas Station in Ridgeland, SC, and the Tillman School in Tillman, SC; the last two sites on the National Register of Historic Places in Jasper County not to have images. Both sites are owned by the Morris Center for Lowcountry Heritage, but the gas station is the headquarters for the organization, and is used as a museum. This morning, I thought I'd take another random peek at their website, hoping to find something about their exhibits at the museum I saw at the time. I didn't but I did stumble upon some links promising a bit of history about US 17.

http://www.morrisheritagecenter.org/education/

The specific link was given the title "US 17: A Road Side Story — Transportation History," but it sure doesn't look like it has anything on the history of US 17 to me.
http://www.morrisheritagecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/Transportation-Lesson-Plan.pdf

That is because it is an in-person exhibit and there is no link to anything to read on-line.  The link underneath it is for what it says it is...

A couple pictures of the exhibit can be found here:

Verlanka

Quote from: NE2 on May 01, 2019, 09:57:31 AM
I looked for something but I found nothing. Share in the nothing with me.

Okay then.  :-|

D-Dey65

Quote from: TimQuiQui on June 29, 2018, 11:35:11 AM
As for the state sheilds, South Carolina redesigned their state shields a while back to use the blue palmetto design, away from the traditional black and white rectangle. Most of the signage across the state has been slowly updated, but a lot of the interstate exit signs, particularly on I85, show the older design.
That should probably change with they finish widening I-85 from Spartanburg to the North Carolina state line.

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 29, 2019, 10:12:00 PM
The next time you drive between Exits 95 and 96 along Interstate 85 near Gaffney, SC take a look at the center median.  You'll be passing by an old family cemetery that dates to the mid-1800s.

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-cemetery-inside-interstate-85-median.html
This will be preserved when they widen I-85 to six lanes, right?

TimQuiQui

Per the link from CanesFan27, the cemetery is being preserved as part of the widening

D-Dey65

Quote from: TimQuiQui on May 17, 2019, 11:28:13 PM
Per the link from CanesFan27, the cemetery is being preserved as part of the widening
Ahh, I missed that part. Now I'm wondering how anybody will be able to visit their dead relatives at the cemetery, or at least maintain it.

index

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/extreme-heat-led-to-sullivan-s-island-bridge-closure-on/article_1ab13872-8140-11e9-8499-2ff8f576cd25.html

The sudden closure of the Ben Sawyer Bridge on Monday — caused by “extreme heat” that expanded its steel structure to where it became stuck partially open — is a relatively rare occurrence and not a sign of a problem with its structural integrity, state transportation officials said.

Coastal South Carolina has experienced record-setting high temperatures in recent days. The Charleston area on Monday experienced a high of 100 degrees, with an even higher heat index — hot enough to warp the steel bridge
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

D-Dey65

Did I ask about the closed rest areas along I-85 yet? If not, I'm doing it now.

More specifically, have any of them ever been truck weigh stations or truck parking areas?

Buffaboy

I-26 between Columbia and I-95 needs to be at least 6 lanes. The traffic here is unbelievable.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kevinb1994

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 28, 2019, 09:36:58 AM
I-26 between Columbia and I-95 needs to be at least 6 lanes. The traffic here is unbelievable.
Thankfully, there's the option of bypassing that traffic, via the SC 3-US 321 corridor. Just make sure you take US 321 first, as SC 3 doesn't fully take you around said traffic!

amroad17

I dealt with that for two straight Saturdays (June 8 & June 15).  It took nearly 40 minutes to go through Columbia eastbound on the 8th with some backup on I-26 between there and I-95 (some of it due to rain).  On the 15th, I dealt with slow traffic off and on going north on I-95.  I got off at Exit 82 to gas up, saw the backup on I-95,  took US 178 to Orangeburg, then took US 21 north back to I-26.  Then there was some more slow traffic plus it took 30 minutes to get through Columbia (from I-126 to Exit 101), unit we stopped for lunch at Exit 97.  After lunch, it was still more slow/stop and go traffic up to near Spartanburg--where it finally thinned out until Asheville.  My brother also drove I-95 North on the 15th and said he was in stop and go traffic nearly to the SC/NC line.

I guess this is how traffic is in SC when you go from three lanes to two northbound.  Plus, it is Summer!  Seriously, I-95 and I-26 both need six lanes instead of four.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

RoadPelican

Quote from: amroad17 on June 28, 2019, 03:55:00 PM
I dealt with that for two straight Saturdays (June 8 & June 15).  It took nearly 40 minutes to go through Columbia eastbound on the 8th with some backup on I-26 between there and I-95 (some of it due to rain).  On the 15th, I dealt with slow traffic off and on going north on I-95.  I got off at Exit 82 to gas up, saw the backup on I-95,  took US 178 to Orangeburg, then took US 21 north back to I-26.  Then there was some more slow traffic plus it took 30 minutes to get through Columbia (from I-126 to Exit 101), unit we stopped for lunch at Exit 97.  After lunch, it was still more slow/stop and go traffic up to near Spartanburg--where it finally thinned out until Asheville.  My brother also drove I-95 North on the 15th and said he was in stop and go traffic nearly to the SC/NC line.

I guess this is how traffic is in SC when you go from three lanes to two northbound.  Plus, it is Summer!  Seriously, I-95 and I-26 both need six lanes instead of four.

It's even bad on weekends in early March. On a Sunday afternoon in March 2016, around 1 or 2 PM, I was driving home to Florida from DC and I encountered some stop and go or slow and go traffic (going 70 MPH to 25 to 70 to 25) in the Walterboro area.  I had my Rand McNally atlas with me (always do on long drives).

My detour south went something like us, EXIT 53, turn right on SC 63 to Varnville, turn right on SC 68, go thru Hampton (a few scenes from Forest Gump were filmed here), turn left on US 321 (South) in the town of Fairfax, turn right on SC 119, go over the Savannah River into Georgia, turn right on GA 21 to I-95.

Lots of low traffic 2 lane roads and beautiful countryside this way with plenty of Pine Tree Forests and farms.

wriddle082

Not too long ago, Governor McMaster ordered that I-26 be a full six lanes from Columbia to Charleston, and I-95 be six lanes from the GA border to the US 17 split near Yemassee.  Not sure if a timeline for this work has been proposed yet or not.  I do know that the recently-completed 26 widening from 77 to Old Sandy Run Rd was a design/build contract, and they seemed to do a pretty good job with it.  I expect the rest of the corridor to be design-build as well.  Also hoping they add a couple of flyovers at the 26/95 cloverleaf, for NB-WB and SB-EB.

fillup420

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 29, 2019, 11:57:05 AM

Also hoping they add a couple of flyovers at the 26/95 cloverleaf, for NB-WB and SB-EB.

The 26/95 interchange is one of the worst double-interstate junction. That SB-EB cloverleaf is dreadful. Way too bumpy, and the accel lanes are way too short.

bigdave

Wow - visited a friend in Spartanburg for the first time in 5 years. I was shocked at all of the work on I-85.

How did SC manage to do such a bad job in 1995 when they built the new I-85 around Spartanburg, that they are now having to dig up and rebuild virtually the entire stretch. Only one lane was open on I-85, and much traffic was using the ancient "business" loop I-85 (original I-85).

I found this article that mentions the old road bed was failing, but that doesn't make sense as it was all new build road. Admittedly I-85 has some of the heaviest truck traffic I have ever seen, which is why I traveled from Alabama via Asheville instead of Atlanta.

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20180731/upstate-lowdown-when-will-spartanburg-county-i-85-project-be-completed

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, did a brief search and didn't find anything.

VTGoose

Quote from: RoadPelican on June 28, 2019, 04:53:33 PM

It's even bad on weekends in early March. On a Sunday afternoon in March 2016, around 1 or 2 PM, I was driving home to Florida from DC and I encountered some stop and go or slow and go traffic (going 70 MPH to 25 to 70 to 25) in the Walterboro area.  I had my Rand McNally atlas with me (always do on long drives).

My detour south went something like us, EXIT 53, turn right on SC 63 to Varnville, turn right on SC 68, go thru Hampton (a few scenes from Forest Gump were filmed here), turn left on US 321 (South) in the town of Fairfax, turn right on SC 119, go over the Savannah River into Georgia, turn right on GA 21 to I-95.

Lots of low traffic 2 lane roads and beautiful countryside this way with plenty of Pine Tree Forests and farms.

I'm surprised some of the data zealots haven't popped in yet with traffic counts that they say show there isn't a need for six lanes just because traffic is heavy on occasional summer and holiday weekends.

Traveling on I-26 at times can be an adventure in terror. Traffic moves at 75 MPH and up and those who want to go 80 or better are not patient people. The problem is that when there is a gap to move right to get them off your bumper, you have to drop speed considerably then ramp it up again quickly to get back into the left lane (to pass the 70 MPH traffic).

Like you say, I-95 has you "going 70 MPH to 25 to 70 to 25" in short stretches -- which has always been baffling, especially when there doesn't appear to be any reason to slow down to 25 to start the ripple back several miles.

It would be nice if Georgia and South Carolina worked together to extend I-77 south from Columbia to Valdosta and a connection with I-75 to handle traffic headed to the west coast of Florida.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

kevinb1994

Quote from: VTGoose on July 01, 2019, 12:48:26 PM
Quote from: RoadPelican on June 28, 2019, 04:53:33 PM

I'm surprised some of the data zealots haven't popped in yet with traffic counts that they say show there isn't a need for six lanes just because traffic is heavy on occasional summer and holiday weekends.

Traveling on I-26 at times can be an adventure in terror. Traffic moves at 75 MPH and up and those who want to go 80 or better are not patient people. The problem is that when there is a gap to move right to get them off your bumper, you have to drop speed considerably then ramp it up again quickly to get back into the left lane (to pass the 70 MPH traffic).

Like you say, I-95 has you "going 70 MPH to 25 to 70 to 25" in short stretches -- which has always been baffling, especially when there doesn't appear to be any reason to slow down to 25 to start the ripple back several miles.

It would be nice if Georgia and South Carolina worked together to extend I-77 south from Columbia to Valdosta and a connection with I-75 to handle traffic headed to the west coast of Florida.
The best way to extend I-77 would be to route it along the multi-state 121 corridor, which would tie it into the I-75 corridor at Gainesville.

froggie

Quote from: VTGooseI'm surprised some of the data zealots haven't popped in yet with traffic counts that they say show there isn't a need for six lanes just because traffic is heavy on occasional summer and holiday weekends.

If this was a jab at me, I'm sorry to "disappoint" you but I lack the relevant data.  Plus I don't have nearly as much experience with I-26 as I do with I-95 in SC.

I also do a data-driven approach because, absent state-level pork (since Federal pork is all-but-gone now), data is how the state DOTs are going to make their decisions on what to widen and if they have the money to do it.

kevinb1994

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: VTGooseI'm surprised some of the data zealots haven't popped in yet with traffic counts that they say show there isn't a need for six lanes just because traffic is heavy on occasional summer and holiday weekends.

If this was a jab at me, I'm sorry to "disappoint" you but I lack the relevant data.  Plus I don't have nearly as much experience with I-26 as I do with I-95 in SC.

I also do a data-driven approach because, absent state-level pork (since Federal pork is all-but-gone now), data is how the state DOTs are going to make their decisions on what to widen and if they have the money to do it.
I'm with froggie on this.

wriddle082

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 01, 2019, 06:59:18 PM

I'm with froggie on this.

Not sure of exact numbers, but my best guess is that traffic volumes most definitely warrant the widening due to increased truck traffic (current and future) going to/coming from the rapidly-growing Port of Charleston, and the increasing popularity of Charleston as a tourism destination and subsequent increase in traffic, which primarily comes from I-26 via either I-95 or I-77.  Oh yeah, I-77 southbound traffic (which I am intimately familiar with) is dumped onto I-26 east at Cayce generally headed either to Charleston or I-95 south.

And the funding is coming from the 0.12/gallon gas tax raise passed a few years ago that is currently being phased in 0.02 a year for 6 years, which coincidentally has its third 0.02 raise going into effect today.

So there it is.  Justification and a funding source.

Beltway

I have my "20 weekends and holidays" annual rule with these rural Interstate highways, with regard to whether they need major widening.

Annual daily averages can look modest while the highway can be brought to its knees (like I-81 TN/VA/WV/MD/PA) enough weekends and holidays that takes it far beyond the 30th highest hour rule, especially between Memorial Day and Labor Day inclusive.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

^ Unfortunately for you (and past discussions we've had on the subject), very few state DOTs make weekend data openly available.  Virginia is the only one I can think of offhand that offers something close.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 07:23:50 PM
Unfortunately for you (and past discussions we've had on the subject), very few state DOTs make weekend data openly available.  Virginia is the only one I can think of offhand that offers something close.

A state DOT could compile that for any highway corridor that they wanted to study in depth.

The permanent traffic counting stations would be able to compile that if they don't already have the ability to tally vehicle count data by day or even by hour.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

State DOTs could do it, yes.  But in terms of this forum and the discussions therein, we're limited in data availability for your "annual rule"...

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 10:26:02 PM
State DOTs could do it, yes.  But in terms of this forum and the discussions therein, we're limited in data availability for your "annual rule"...

The "20 weekends and holidays" annual rule is rather apparent for the users of these highways, at least in my observations of I-81.  If detailed engineering studies show otherwise then I am fine with that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.