News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The best drives no one knows about

Started by wphiii, May 01, 2013, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I'd nominate US-89A south (east) of Fredonia, AZ and AZ-98, though the US-89 landslide may have helped them become a little less "not known."
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

texaskdog

Quote from: Rover_0 on June 20, 2013, 04:22:39 PM
I'd nominate US-89A south (east) of Fredonia, AZ and AZ-98, though the US-89 landslide may have helped them become a little less "not known."

we made the mistake of taking 89 west of Page.  SO BORING!

corco

It's amazing! US 89 west of Page is surrounded by some of the most spectacular scenery in the country but it manages to perfectly avoid ALL of it. 89A is pretty cool.

agentsteel53

heh, 89 may be the most boring route in that general area, but I still think it is more scenic than a lot of routes in other parts of the country which are considered interesting.  maybe I'm just a sucker for red rocks, but 89 is more interesting to me than the best of maybe 15-20 states.

(sorry North Dakota.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

juscuz410

Ohio SR-78, between Glouster & McConnellsville is nicknamed the "The Rim Of the World". The road is windy, hilly and provides a spectacular vistas north of the road.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oldparoadgeek

PA 120 from Lock Haven to Ridgway
US 522 Mt. Union PA to Maryland Line
  And even though its Interstate, I Have to add I-88 in NY. Its 100+ miles of just pure pleasure with scenic rolling hills and valleys with peaceful small towns every 10-20 miles Very lightly traveled for an interstate.  Its what I wished I-81 was like; It has some very nice scenery on it too, BUT the traffic and trucks on it are just Horrible!!!

NE2

Quote from: oldparoadgeek on September 09, 2013, 12:00:19 AM
  And even though its Interstate, I Have to add I-88 in NY. Its 100+ miles of just pure pleasure with scenic rolling hills and valleys with peaceful small towns every 10-20 miles Very lightly traveled for an interstate.  Its what I wished I-81 was like; It has some very nice scenery on it too, BUT the traffic and trucks on it are just Horrible!!!
Seems that I-88 isn't really on the through route to anywhere. Coming north on I-81 and cutting over to I-87, you actually save 10 miles by taking I-84 rather than I-88. (Yes, you do pay a toll that you wouldn't by taking I-88.) And staying with I-81 into Canada is significantly shorter if going to Montreal. The only cities that get a shorter mileage via I-88 are in the Southern Tier.

If I-88 is empty, parallel NY 7 must be a great bike route - relatively flat, nice scenery, and little traffic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hm insulators

Two stretches of California 23: one from PCH north to Westlake Village, then the other stretch between Moorpark and Fillmore. In between, the route goes through outlying suburbs of Los Angeles that were mostly built only within the last 40 years and is also partially on freeway.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

bugo

Arkansas 123 south of Arkansas 7
US 259 between US 59/270 to US 70

ZLoth

Whatever floats your boat... or, in this case.... FERRY. CA-84 in Rio Vista, CA to CA-220. May not be the nicest drives, but it takes you on the two California-operated ferries.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 02, 2013, 03:07:13 PM
I have "driven" Colorado SH 141 using CDOT photologging imagery.  I agree it is scenic, but isn't it also twisty and rather slow (innumerable 40 MPH bends)?

Edit:  I'm referring to the part between Naturita and Grand Junction--the part between Naturita and US 491, which I have actually driven, has some twisty lengths and a mountain pass crossing, but also a long length of 65 MPH straight at the south end.

The first time I drove it was coming back from Cortez at night en route to Grand Junction. 

Desolate?? Yes!

Twisty?? Yes, although the night I drove I had at least a half-moon overhead, and I definitely remember seeing the moon out of all my car's windows that night as I drove, but I want to say that I made a lot better time than I thought -- even with the occasional deer/elk/mountain goat(s) in the middle of the road scenario.

And one thing to mention about CO-141 south of CO-145:  Disappointment Valley is exactly that!!!

NE2

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 10, 2013, 09:14:36 PM
CA 2 - not the part in urbanland.
The Angeles Crest Highway? Certainly that's known well, at least in Socal?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.