News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Outer Banks NC "city meet" - April 30, 2022

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: signalman on March 09, 2020, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: jpi on March 09, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
I am officially out too, I will be on the road from east TN to Hershey\ Harrisburg PA that day for the annual spring toy show in Hershey on Sunday and visiting family\ friends that week, Hope to see some of you at the Cinncy Meet and the Sauk Valley Road Meet in June.
I, as well as a few others from the Northeast plan on going to Cincy.  I was considering Sauk Valley, but I'm planning on going to La Crosse instead.
Checking out the pony show?

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on March 09, 2020, 05:42:24 PM
Quote from: signalman on March 09, 2020, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: jpi on March 09, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
I am officially out too, I will be on the road from east TN to Hershey\ Harrisburg PA that day for the annual spring toy show in Hershey on Sunday and visiting family\ friends that week, Hope to see some of you at the Cinncy Meet and the Sauk Valley Road Meet in June.
I, as well as a few others from the Northeast plan on going to Cincy.  I was considering Sauk Valley, but I'm planning on going to La Crosse instead.
Life is just a rodeo.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 09, 2020, 06:22:16 PM

??
There's a... meme?... circulating with a certain pony show in La Crosse. It's not for posting here.

signalman

Quote from: Alps on March 09, 2020, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 09, 2020, 06:22:16 PM

??
There's a... meme?... circulating with a certain pony show in La Crosse. It's not for posting here.
Ah, I have not seen that meme.  Therefore, I didn't know what you were attempting to allude to.  Thank you for asking, AJ.  I was assuming that it was something that I should know about and don't.  I was too embarrassed to ask for clarification.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: LM117 on March 18, 2020, 06:23:55 PM
Starting tomorrow, Hyde County will be restricting visitors to Ocracoke Island.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-18-ocracoke-visitor-restrictions.aspx

I'm dealing with the harsh reality that I very well may have to postpone this meet for a future year unless this COVID-19 situation resolves itself much more quickly than everyone is thinking it will.  I'm not quite ready to announce the cancellation yet.  I want to see how things shake out over these next few weeks.  I don't know yet what North Carolina's situation is on dine-in restaurants, but the concept of the city meet (at least, according to how I host them) is dependent upon dine-in restaurants being open for lunch and dinner.
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 18, 2020, 07:44:09 PM
I'm dealing with the harsh reality that I very well may have to postpone this meet for a future year unless this COVID-19 situation resolves itself much more quickly than everyone is thinking it will.  I'm not quite ready to announce the cancellation yet.  I want to see how things shake out over these next few weeks.  I don't know yet what North Carolina's situation is on dine-in restaurants, but the concept of the city meet (at least, according to how I host them) is dependent upon dine-in restaurants being open for lunch and dinner.

Is it possible to have a picnic instead?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Mapmikey

It isn't just Ocracoke.  All of Dare County is closed to non residents/property owners...

https://www.darenc.com/Home/Components/News/News/5970/17

Beltway

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 18, 2020, 07:44:09 PM
5 1/2 weeks away.

Perhaps wait until about 2 weeks before, to see if it looks viable.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 18, 2020, 08:20:37 PM
It isn't just Ocracoke.  All of Dare County is closed to non residents/property owners...

https://www.darenc.com/Home/Components/News/News/5970/17
Yep, since yesterday at 2 p.m., announced last minute with little notice.

All restaurants were ordered close yesterday as well statewide.

oscar

However it shakes out for other people in the next few weeks, I'm almost certainly out. The "social distancing" business is a deal-killer for me. It's not going to be much fun for us to sit at a lunch or dinner table six feet apart from each other, or with me six feet from everyone else. Younger people might be comfortable fudging that guideline, even if the restaurant will go along (a huge "if"), or we do a picnic instead. But not me, at the lower end of the "elderly" at-risk group.

I just got back from a two-week road trip. mostly within the western Carolinas and Georgia. It was definitely "non-essential travel", though the guideline against that didn't kick in until I was well on my way back north. By that time, it was "essential" for me and my car to make the last three days of my trip home. I expect all the Canadian snowbirds I saw on I-95 heading north will say something like that to the Canadian border agents, should they get a hard time about what started off for them as "non-essential travel" back when soaking up the sun in south Florida was perfectly OK.

That trip was fun. But my plans for further travel outside the Washington-Baltimore metro (including a spring trip into Canada) look to be on hold for a long time.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bandit957

oscar

Quote from: bandit957 on March 18, 2020, 08:53:36 PM
Six feet really isn't a huge distance.

For a group of a dozen or more people, it would mean a lot of shouting.

A.J. Bertin

A picnic doesn't really fit the style for my "city meet" concept for multiple reasons.  (Besides, there would have to be two picnics... a lunch picnic and a dinner picnic.)  Yes... the meet is 5 1/2 weeks away and a lot can change in that span of time, which is why I'm not nearly ready to make any announcement about a postponement.  I am, however, dealing with the possibility that I may have to postpone it for next year... for a reason that I would obviously have no control over.
-A.J. from Michigan

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on March 18, 2020, 08:50:45 PM
However it shakes out for other people in the next few weeks, I'm almost certainly out. The "social distancing" business is a deal-killer for me. It's not going to be much fun for us to sit at a lunch or dinner table six feet apart from each other, or with me six feet from everyone else.

I'm optimistic that in two to three weeks, things will be getting back to normal. Some news reports I heard said that the peak should be around this weekend.

We should not be alarmed at an increase in the number of reported cases. As the testing increases, the numbers will increase. It doesn't mean that more people have it; they just know they have it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 19, 2020, 02:44:46 PM
I'm optimistic that in two to three weeks, things will be getting back to normal. Some news reports I heard said that the peak should be around this weekend.

I strongly doubt it will peak that early. Regardless of that, the Cincinnati meet is set in stone.

1995hoo

Those of you who were considering taking the ferry from Cedar Island or Swan Quarter to Ocracoke might want to think carefully about that, assuming they're running at the time. The ferries are fairly small for the amount of time the trip takes, and unless you stay in your car the whole way it's not particularly easy to stay six feet away from other people. Especially if it rains, sitting in your stationary car for the full ferry trip would be miserable.

Just a thought.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: oscar on March 18, 2020, 08:50:45 PM
However it shakes out for other people in the next few weeks, I'm almost certainly out. The "social distancing" business is a deal-killer for me. It's not going to be much fun for us to sit at a lunch or dinner table six feet apart from each other, or with me six feet from everyone else.

We should not be alarmed at an increase in the number of reported cases. As the testing increases, the numbers will increase. It doesn't mean that more people have it; they just know they have it.
I'm not. Every forecast I've seen has the earliest peak in June or July.

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on March 18, 2020, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 18, 2020, 08:53:36 PM
Six feet really isn't a huge distance.

For a group of a dozen or more people, it would mean a lot of shouting.
You should have went to Froggie's thing in Saratoga...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2020, 04:23:48 PM

I'm not. Every forecast I've seen has the earliest peak in June or July.

I wouldn't put any salt in anyone's predictions. Even a professionally modeled forecast is only as good as the assumptions that go into it, and since there is no modern precedent to this event there's going to be low certainty in any of the assumptions.

The number of new cases peaking within the next week, or not peaking until summer, are frankly both plausible. We won't know until it happens.

Dare I point out that there were modeled predictions in the 1970s that global oil production would peak by 1990...

This meet, as the one nearest in the future, is the most likely of any to need to be canceled or postponed. But we still won't know for sure for a few more weeks.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

A.J. Bertin

There are two pretty obvious things that would force me to postpone this meet: 1) if restaurants remain closed to dine-in service, and 2) if the Outer Banks remain closed to non-residents.  I think I mentioned this earlier (or elsewhere), but I'm not going to make any decisions until probably early to mid April when I see what the status is of the COVID-19 outbreak at that time.  If I need to postpone the meet, I need to do so early enough to give everyone (and myself) time to cancel lodging accommodations and whatnot.

A couple months ago I bought my ticket for the Cedar Island-to-Ocracoke ferry.  That's another reservation I'll need to cancel and get a refund on if I am forced to postpone this meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

^^^
Most lodging establishments are being very lenient about canceling reservations. I'm not sure if the ferry runs to that particular county, but if it does, they may be restricting (and probably are restricting) who can use it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on March 21, 2020, 09:59:24 PM
I'm not sure if the ferry runs to that particular county, but if it does, they may be restricting (and probably are restricting) who can use it.

The ferries to Ocracoke in Hyde County from Cedar Island (where A.J. would leave from) and Swan Quarter (where I would leave from) were closed to visitors starting March 19.

As noted upthread, Dare County (where the meet lunch in Nags Head would take place) has both entry and exit restrictions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.