News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Outer Banks NC "city meet" - April 30, 2022

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: snowc on February 17, 2021, 10:11:29 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 16, 2021, 07:42:11 PM
Quote from: brianreynolds on February 15, 2021, 09:39:56 PM
So, this is about 10 weeks out at this moment.  I am saving the date in hopes that this really happens.  The Covid trend is in the right direction, but we have seen that before.

I decided to put a question mark at the end of the date in the subject line of this thread because I still do not know, at this point, whether I will be hosting this gathering in 2021.  Last year when I postponed the meet by one year, I of course assumed that this pandemic would be well behind us by the same time this year... but I just do not know at this point.  It is encouraging that the vaccine has started to be distributed across the U.S., but we still have a long ways to go before a significant majority of the population (or, at least a significant majority of the population who is choosing to be vaccinated) will actually be vaccinated.  I'm guessing that the restrictions in North Carolina will be mostly non-existent in April, if they're already non-existent now, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at this point about decisively executing this meet in 2021... given its format where gathering at one or two restaurants is an important component.  Laura Bianca-Pruett did suggest gathering for lunch at the beach, which is kind of a neat idea, but I'm not sure that idea fits with my vision for this gathering.

Having said all of that, I will make a decision by mid-March as to whether I will move forward with hosting this as is.  Yes, other road meets have been successful so far during the pandemic, but the unique style of this gathering doesn't jive too well with pandemic restrictions... and the comfort level that folks may or may not have with gathering at restaurants.  If I decide not to go through with this in 2021, I will likely postpone it by yet another year.  We will see how things are looking in early- to mid-March.  People who know me well enough know that I'm not the kind of person to flake out on something like this, and I will not be making my decision lightly.
Hope this works out ok! I would REALLY love going to OBX! Its 100+miles away, but its worth every penny! A.J. Bertin, how does a roadmeet work?  :hmmm:
you show up,  socialize, and follow a tour of roads

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2021, 06:06:18 PM
So, this is about 10 weeks out at this moment.  I am saving the date in hopes that this really happens.  The Covid trend is in the right direction, but we have seen that before.

I decided to put a question mark at the end of the date in the subject line of this thread because I still do not know, at this point, whether I will be hosting this gathering in 2021.  Last year when I postponed the meet by one year, I of course assumed that this pandemic would be well behind us by the same time this year... but I just do not know at this point.  It is encouraging that the vaccine has started to be distributed across the U.S., but we still have a long ways to go before a significant majority of the population (or, at least a significant majority of the population who is choosing to be vaccinated) will actually be vaccinated.  I'm guessing that the restrictions in North Carolina will be mostly non-existent in April, if they're already non-existent now, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at this point about decisively executing this meet in 2021... given its format where gathering at one or two restaurants is an important component.  Laura Bianca-Pruett did suggest gathering for lunch at the beach, which is kind of a neat idea, but I'm not sure that idea fits with my vision for this gathering.

Having said all of that, I will make a decision by mid-March as to whether I will move forward with hosting this as is.  Yes, other road meets have been successful so far during the pandemic, but the unique style of this gathering doesn't jive too well with pandemic restrictions... and the comfort level that folks may or may not have with gathering at restaurants.  If I decide not to go through with this in 2021, I will likely postpone it by yet another year.  We will see how things are looking in early- to mid-March.  People who know me well enough know that I'm not the kind of person to flake out on something like this, and I will not be making my decision lightly.
Hope this works out ok! I would REALLY love going to OBX! Its 100+miles away, but its worth every penny! A.J. Bertin, how does a roadmeet work?  :hmmm:

Of course, in this case, it's not a traditional road meet with an organized tour to follow.  The "city meet" concept is a self-guided tour bookended by a lunch meal and a dinner meal where a significant portion of the socializing is done.
-A.J. from Michigan

snowc

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2021, 06:06:18 PM

cool. thanks steve!

dgolub

I'd advocate for further postponement.  This one is definitely of interest to me, but I'm not looking to stay in hotels until I'm vaccinated, and it's too far for me to do as a day trip.

snowc

Quote from: dgolub on February 20, 2021, 08:57:53 AM

I'd advocate for further postponement.  This one is definitely of interest to me, but I'm not looking to stay in hotels until I'm vaccinated, and it's too far for me to do as a day trip.
me too. we have to wait until march 10. what a bummer.

hbelkins

I wouldn't think hotels would be especially hazardous.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on February 20, 2021, 11:54:17 PM

Depends on how much they care about COVID protocols and how much turnover there is. I'm myself willing to do so, but I respect others who aren't.

Brandon

They aren't.  You spend maybe a few minutes getting the key from the desk clerk, and then you barely see anyone after that.  Quite frankly, you're far more likely to get it from a doctor's office or hospital, or from relatives/neighbors in a home setting (~70% of all transmittals).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on February 21, 2021, 08:50:21 AM

They aren't.  You spend maybe a few minutes getting the key from the desk clerk, and then you barely see anyone after that.  Quite frankly, you're far more likely to get it from a doctor's office or hospital, or from relatives/neighbors in a home setting (~70% of all transmittals).
Hotels - especially major chains - have a liability obligation and will do what they can to serve guests.  Risks exist but as Brandon and H.B said they are much less risk and can be trusted more than another house - even a family or friend's house.  Higher-end chains have apps that you can use to go contact free (even the desk clerk) - but it's a learning curve for the non-tech-savvy and you pay a premium.  Even the economy hotels still are less of a risk even in rural areas where people don't even give the risk a second thought.  Each hotel's practice (even within a chain) is variant though.

EDIT: Alps brings up another good point and I do also respect those that wish not to take the risk.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

I had plans on going to the 2020 version of this meet before it got pushed back. I'll go ahead and say that my attendance for this meet, whether in 2021 or a future year, seems very unlikely at this point considering I'll be living much farther away from OBX within the next 3 months.

vdeane

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 21, 2021, 11:02:29 AM

Hotels - especially major chains - have a liability obligation and will do what they can to serve guests.  Risks exist but as Brandon and H.B said they are much less risk and can be trusted more than another house - even a family or friend's house.  Higher-end chains have apps that you can use to go contact free (even the desk clerk) - but it's a learning curve for the non-tech-savvy and you pay a premium.  Even the economy hotels still are less of a risk even in rural areas where people don't even give the risk a second thought.  Each hotel's practice (even within a chain) is variant though.

EDIT: Alps brings up another good point and I do also respect those that wish not to take the risk.

There's also the question of the other guests.  I've read enough cases of people not wearing masks or socially distancing in common spaces to be concerned (they certainly don't at my apartment complex - I have NEVER seen anyone other than myself wear a mask in the laundry room - EVER).  And how isolated are the individual rooms, air-wise?  This is especially important as science is showing that airborne transmission is the primary mode of virus spread by far - not surfaces - and with indoor spaces it doesn't really matter what your distance is to other people if you're breathing the same air for a sufficiently long time.  Staying 6' apart indoors only helps if you're there for an hour or two or less.  After 4-8 hours, even masks don't help.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: vdeane on February 21, 2021, 08:05:00 PM
There's also the question of the other guests.  I've read enough cases of people not wearing masks or socially distancing in common spaces to be concerned (they certainly don't at my apartment complex - I have NEVER seen anyone other than myself wear a mask in the laundry room - EVER).  And how isolated are the individual rooms, air-wise?  This is especially important as science is showing that airborne transmission is the primary mode of virus spread by far - not surfaces - and with indoor spaces it doesn't really matter what your distance is to other people if you're breathing the same air for a sufficiently long time.  Staying 6' apart indoors only helps if you're there for an hour or two or less.  After 4-8 hours, even masks don't help.
Avoid common spaces.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 21, 2021, 11:02:29 AM

Unless it's a huge downtown convention-type hotel, it's probably going to have a ventilation system that pulls in air from the outside via a unit mounted below the window, unique to each room. IOW, no central ventilation system that mixes air from different rooms.

Quote from: okroads on February 21, 2021, 05:12:11 PM
I had plans on going to the 2020 version of this meet before it got pushed back. I'll go ahead and say that my attendance for this meet, whether in 2021 or a future year, seems very unlikely at this point considering I'll be living much farther away from OBX within the next 3 months.

Moving back to Oklahoma from Columbus?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

I haven't had a chance to chime back in over the past couple of days since respondents starting talking about the pandemic-related risks associated with staying at hotels.  I've stayed in plenty of hotels since the pandemic started and continue have no qualms about staying at hotels.  My reason for postponing this meet again has nothing to do with hotels.  A lot of the more respected hotel chains ask everyone to wear masks, and generally you are not congregating in large groups with other people in a hotel.  You might interact with the front desk clerk briefly a few times during your stay, but those interactions are generally pretty minimal... and you can choose to stand 6 feet (or more) apart from other guests who might be at the front desk around the same time as you.  For the most part, if I'm staying at a hotel, I hardly spend anytime around other people when I'm there.

The real reason I'm strongly considering postponing this meet has to do with restaurants.  To me, restaurants pose much greater of a risk than hotels do.  This is because you can potentially have a lot of people in a single dining room where everyone is eating, talking, laughing, etc.  You can't exactly eat with a mask on, and North Carolina is a state where its people seem to be denying that a pandemic is going on.  (I saw that firsthand when I was in the Greensboro area in November for the road meet that took place there... lots of crowded restaurants and little to no enforcement of any mask requirements.)  Outdoor seating is certainly a possibility, but not a guarantee.

I'll say this again... I know that other road meets have been successful during the pandemic... and what's made them successful is that the hosts have scouted out picnic areas at parks and encouraged the attendees to bring their own lunches.  That format doesn't work for my "city-meet" style of gathering, for multiple reasons.

I'm still curious to hear what opinions others have, but the more I think about this, the more I think that I really don't want to host this in 2021.  My version of the "city-meet" style of gathering just doesn't work in a pandemic.  I'm not saying I have definitely decided against it for 2021, but that's what I'm leaning toward at this point.  I very well might be postponing it by yet another year.  I'll make my decision at some point over the next few weeks.
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 21, 2021, 09:22:45 PMI'm still curious to hear what opinions others have, but the more I think about this, the more I think that I really don't want to host this in 2021.

North Carolina is a little far for me right now, but everyone I know is much more afraid of pandemic restrictions than of catching the virus. The case count has been absolutely crashing lately, and vaccines have been out for a couple months now, so the case numbers will continue to crash.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

I've been looking at trends and statistics mostly.  This site has been very good at showing them: https://covid19-projections.com/

North Carolina: https://covid19-projections.com/infections/us-nc
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

A.J. Bertin

Ugh... that's a bummer.  I'm really sorry to hear that, but I understand completely.
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Personally, I have been thinking that a Raleigh/Durham Meet after the opening of the East End Connector would a viable NC meet in 2021, but that is my personal opinion.

I am probably out on this one at this point even if it does occur.  I am not planning on going to NC again until after the East End Connector is finally open.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

okroads

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2021, 09:00:23 PM

Moving back to Oklahoma from Columbus?

Correct, likely sometime between mid-March & mid-May.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 21, 2021, 10:02:54 PM

Ugh... that's a bummer.  I'm really sorry to hear that, but I understand completely.

I'm bummed too. I've really wanted to explore the area since I ran out of daylight to do so a couple years back, and had to be back in Columbus the next day so didn't have time to see it. You can thank COVID for ruining the hotel business for a long time...  :-/

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2021, 09:00:23 PM
Unless it's a huge downtown convention-type hotel, it's probably going to have a ventilation system that pulls in air from the outside via a unit mounted below the window, unique to each room. IOW, no central ventilation system that mixes air from different rooms.

One thing: that unit below the window likely does not normally have a ventilation component to it and merely recirculates the air that is already in the room. It may have the ability to ventilate if you explicitly make it do so (check the controls), but it won't otherwise.

Regardless, yeah, sharing of air between hotel rooms is not something I'd be worried about. Keep the door to your room closed and you're in an air plenum that is fairly well isolated. Even if the place appears to have air ducts, typically there is still a self-contained system for each room/suite, so you're still good. It is rare for a hotel to actually have a centralized air distribution system simply because this precludes being able to control the temperature in each room individually, and paying customers at hotels don't like not having that ability.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

brianreynolds

I had a lengthy back-and-forth exchange with A.J. earlier, and I mentioned to him that I had family conflicts that would probably prevent me from attending in 2021.

As such, I hope this will be rescheduled to April of 2022.  I am far more likely to attend, and it will be be far more likely to draw the numbers that make a meet a MEET!.

I will support A.J.'s decision either way.  Perhaps you might, too.  Your choice.

Alps

I don't know whether or not I'll attend, but it will be independent of which year is chosen.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 23, 2021, 11:19:02 PM
As such, I hope this will be rescheduled to April of 2022.  I am far more likely to attend, and it will be be far more likely to draw the numbers that make a meet a MEET!.

I will support A.J.'s decision either way.  Perhaps you might, too.  Your choice.

Thank you, Brian.  I appreciate that.

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.  They will still be available next year for us to explore, if I decide to postpone this gathering by another year.  If I do postpone and others want to gather there this year without me (essentially taking over this meet for me in 2021), I would not be offended by any means; I'd still plan to do this next year.

I'll make my decision by March 15.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 24, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.
environmentally speaking... :/

US 89

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 24, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.  They will still be available next year for us to explore

Don't tempt this year's hurricane season  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.