News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wyoming

Started by andy3175, November 21, 2014, 12:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

In Casper, McKinley Street underpass has an 11-foot clearance where it passes beneath the railroad not far from its interchange with Interstate 25.

According to this article, a truck and the underpass itself were damaged on January 14, 2021, when a too-tall truck attempted to make the trip.

https://oilcity.news/community/2021/01/15/another-truck-meets-with-mckinley-street-bridge-significant-damage-to-both/

This is not the first time this has happened, and repairs have been conducted in years past to address damage to the bridge when similar oversize vehicles attempted to pass underneath the railroad. Additional info is available here from a similar crash from 1980 (complete with pictures):

https://oilcity.news/community/backstory/2020/10/02/backstory-stuck-truck-amuck-under-mckinley-st-bridge/

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

In southeastern Wyoming last week on January 13, winds (with some gusts as high as 105 mph) knocked over 18 vehicles along Interstate 80 and other roads. Road closures followed until winds subsided.

https://www.oilcity.news/community/weather/2021/01/14/photos-18-vehicles-blown-over-as-hurricane-force-winds-up-to-105-mph-rocked-wyoming/

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Wyoming Department of Transportation budget shortfall may be hundreds of millions of dollars more than previously thought.

https://www.trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/wydot-shortfall-could-be-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars-larger-than-previously-thought/article_e532ef42-aafe-545c-a3a7-f557a1196d90.amp.html

The report comes as Gov. Mark Gordon's administration has sought hundreds of millions of dollars in budget reductions amid an economic decline driven by the COVID-19 pandemic and persistent underperformance in the fossil fuel industry.

For WYDOT, those cuts have come in the form of closed rest stops, delayed construction projects – including a long-discussed road-widening project on a particularly dangerous stretch on Highway 59 between coal-producing communities Wright and Gillette – and plans to reduce snow plowing service on certain stretches of highway this winter, all of which were discussed with legislators during Monday's meeting.

A solution to fund those unmet needs has been elusive for the agency, whose budget is separate from the state's general fund budget. Fuel taxes – one of the agency's most critical revenue sources – have remained flat over the last several years due to growing numbers of fuel-efficient vehicles, while WYDOT's buying power has declined substantially throughout that same period.

Solutions to replace the fuel tax through tools like a proposed road usage charge, meanwhile, have elicited a significant amount of controversy in recent months from citizens concerned about the privacy implications of relying on remote frequency identification devices to track how many miles people have driven in a year.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

The State of Wyoming Legislature meets in odd-numbered years to consider various bills. As it enters this year's session, it is considering Senate File 73 related to possible tolling of Interstate 80 in Wyoming.

Bill language and status on the following link:

https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2021/SF0073

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Plutonic Panda

I hope that dies a quick death.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 02, 2021, 09:39:47 AM
I hope that dies a quick death.

Agreed.  We don't need more trucks on I-70 via shunpiking.

Chris

andy3175

Video of US 20 and WYO 789 in the Wind River Canyon south of Thermopolis.

https://cowboystatedaily.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c52c167138bc12e61832ce1bc&id=6238f04de2&e=62d5fa929f
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Significant closures to roads in eastern Wyoming and northern Colorado due ongoing blizzard that began yesterday.

https://www.oilcity.news/general/2021/03/13/hundred-of-miles-of-wyoming-highway-close-saturday-night-crash-on-i-80/%3famp

QuoteTravel is expected to be "very difficult to impossible"  this weekend, especially in southeast Wyoming, according to the National Weather Service. A blizzard warning is in effect until 5:00 am Monday in the southeast.

"Impacts to roadways will be serious with potential road closures of major interstates and state highways."  Black ice, and blowing snow with potential whiteouts are advised.

Road closures as of the morning of March 14, 2021 include all roads in and out of major Wyoming cities such as Cheyenne, Casper, and Laramie. Today, Interstate 25 and Interstate 80 are mostly or entirely closed in Wyoming. Other roads such as US 20-26, US 30-287, US 287 to Ft. Collins, WYO 220, WYO 487, etc. are also closed.

Details on the storm's duration and accumulation is available here (video link): https://cowboystatedaily.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c52c167138bc12e61832ce1bc&id=1357d25eab&e=62d5fa929f

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

Quote from: andy3175 on March 14, 2021, 11:34:42 AM
Significant closures to roads in eastern Wyoming and northern Colorado due ongoing blizzard that began yesterday.

https://www.oilcity.news/general/2021/03/13/hundred-of-miles-of-wyoming-highway-close-saturday-night-crash-on-i-80/%3famp

QuoteTravel is expected to be "very difficult to impossible"  this weekend, especially in southeast Wyoming, according to the National Weather Service. A blizzard warning is in effect until 5:00 am Monday in the southeast.

"Impacts to roadways will be serious with potential road closures of major interstates and state highways."  Black ice, and blowing snow with potential whiteouts are advised.

Road closures as of the morning of March 14, 2021 include all roads in and out of major Wyoming cities such as Cheyenne, Casper, and Laramie. Today, Interstate 25 and Interstate 80 are mostly or entirely closed in Wyoming. Other roads such as US 20-26, US 30-287, US 287 to Ft. Collins, WYO 220, WYO 487, etc. are also closed.

Details on the storm's duration and accumulation is available here (video link): https://cowboystatedaily.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c52c167138bc12e61832ce1bc&id=1357d25eab&e=62d5fa929f
Can confirm; Laramie and Cheyenne are still closed off (probably won't reopen till tomorrow night).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

andy3175

The storm left motorists stranded in Wyoming and Colorado with record snowfall in multiple locations.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/14/wyoming-blizzard-snow-records-broken-motorists-stranded-snowplows-give-up/

QuoteWith 26 inches of snow on Cheyenne by mid-day Sunday, the National Weather Service said the city broke a two-day snow total record beating the past amount of 25.2 inches recorded back in 1979.

The heavy snow prompted closures for all state government offices in Cheyenne on Monday, the University of Wyoming, all schools in Laramie and Natrona counties, as well as city offices in both locations. ...

It's so bad, WYDOT said, that immediately after drifts are plowed, they fill up again.
"WYDOT will need rotary plows (typically used to clear WYO 130 of snow in the spring) to clear drifts accumulating on portions of I-80,"  they said.

To that end, crews in some areas have suspended operations.

"Due to overwhelming snow and lack of visibility we have decided to suspend our plowing operations in the Casper area. We've had several plows drive off the roadway due to limited to zero visibility,"  the department said.

Same goes for the City of Casper. If you get stuck, you're stuck.

"City crews are not available to assist stranded motorists. If you have a true emergency, call 911,"  the city announced.

Despite most roads in the affected areas being closed – including all of Interstate 80 and Interstate 25 – the Wyoming Highway Patrol said they were fielding calls from many motorists who were stranded.

Photos shared by the Highway Patrol appeared to show a tow truck trying to rescue another tow truck in very difficult conditions.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

https://oilcity.news/community/weather/2021/03/15/photos-closures-on-i-80-us-30-287-in-wyoming-to-last-until-at-least-10-pm-tuesday/

QuoteThe Wyoming Department of Transportation said at around 12:45 pm Monday that some closures on I-80 and US 30/287 in Wyoming will last until at least 10 pm Tuesday.

"These drifts are heavy and hard to move and continue to be impacted by blowing snow,"  WYDOT said. "Widespread 3-4+ ft drifting on I-80 & I-25."

I-80 (and US 30) remains closed in both directions from Rawlins to the Nebraska state line with some exceptions for local travel. I-80 is closed eastbound from Evanston to Rawlins.

US 287 has closures in effect in both direction from the Colorado state line through Lander.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Wyoming is considering an increase to the fuel tax.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/02/wyoming-needs-higher-fuel-tax-for-roads-official-says/

Wyoming needs the proposed increase in fuel taxes to keep up with its highway maintenance, according to an official with the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Doug McGee, public affairs manager for WYDOT, told Cowboy State Daily the department is facing a shortfall of about $354 million in unfunded needs per year. "Certainly, this fuel tax is very much needed to maintain our roads and bridges — our transportation system — to the level that Wyoming citizens expect,"  McGee said.

House Bill 26, which would increase the state's fuel tax from 24 cents to 33 cents per gallon for both diesel and gasoline, passed the House Transportation, Highways and Military Affairs Committee last week on a 6-3 vote. The extra 9 cents per gallon would be a 37.5 percent increase in the state's fuel taxes and would bring Wyoming's fuel tax to the same level as neighboring Idaho. ...

"Wyoming's economy – indeed, the nation's economy – travels on Wyoming's roads,"  he pointed out. "We need good, solid infrastructure to keep our economy strong."  McGee added that tourism, the third largest economic sector in the state, relies on the highways and interstates that the bill would help maintain.

McGee said the department would receive a little over $40 million of the $61.47 million the increased tax would generate — and while that is just a fraction of the shortfall WYDOT is facing, every dollar counts. ...

WYDOT Director Luke Reiner has said that for every dollar not spent on preventative maintenance on roadways, $4 to $8 will be required for complete highway reconstruction down the road.

The increase has won the support of a number of organizations including the Powder River Basin Resource Council, Wyoming Taxpayers Association, Wyoming County Commissioners Association, Wyoming Lodging and Restaurant Association, and Wyoming Association of Municipalities. The groups spoke in favor of the tax increase during a hearing on the bill held by the committee on Feb. 23. Many said that although they would not normally support increased taxes, the fuel tax proposal is different.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Interstate 80 opened up again on Wednesday 3/17

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/17/wyoming-interstates-open-thousands-of-truckers-get-back-to-work/

QuoteAnd go they did. Truckers, that is. They had been lined up near Interstate 80 onramps for more than three days as a historic late-winter blizzard in Wyoming shut down much of Wyoming.

Whether it was a photo taken in Cheyenne, Evanston, or all points in between, hundreds, if not thousands, of truckers were given the green flag – appropriate for St. Patrick's Day – at 9:30 Wednesday morning and off they went.

Only hours earlier, the same thing happened on I-25 after days of waiting. ...

Two commenters wagered on when a massive accident and subsequent shutdown of I-80 would take place due to so many trucks on the road. (They both lost as I-80 stayed open and no wrecks were reported).

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

WyoDOT is considering a general speed limit of 55 mph along WYO 22, while some residents are seeking a lower speed limit in consideration of the scenic, wildlife, and community character aspects of the corridor.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_hole_scroll/wydot-says-55-mph-is-a-better-speed-limit-for-22-commission-will-consider-issue/article_7476aaa8-43c4-5e49-ba4f-b6a305d21500.html

The Wyoming Department of Transportation is eyeing a unified, 55 mile per hour speed limit on a long stretch of Highway 22, but some Teton County officials and residents do not like the proposal. ...

But Commissioner Luther Propst doesn't buy it.

"I feel like the response from the highway engineers in Rock Springs is focused on a single value: moving as much traffic as fast as possible,"  he said. "This community was not thinking about one value – traffic flow – but thinking about balancing several values: safety, wildlife protection, protecting community character and protecting the scenic values of the valley."

The County Commission is set to review a letter requesting a year round 45 mile per hour speed limit during its 9 a.m. Monday voucher meeting.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

74/171FAN

QuoteWyoDOT is considering a general speed limit of 55 mph along WYO 22, while some residents are seeking a lower speed limit in consideration of the scenic, wildlife, and community character aspects of the corridor.

I think that this is the first time I have ever seen this in a rural area.  This could have been done to US 209 in the Delaware Water Gap, but I think that it was more to keep trucks away.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

deathtopumpkins

I just checked out the July 2019 streetview and 22 is posted at 55 throughout this stretch. Is this WYDOT attempting to raise it back to 55 after it was recently lowered? Or am I missing something?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

andy3175

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 23, 2021, 08:46:12 AM
I just checked out the July 2019 streetview and 22 is posted at 55 throughout this stretch. Is this WYDOT attempting to raise it back to 55 after it was recently lowered? Or am I missing something?
My guess is that at least some Teton County officials disagree with 55 mph limit and have opened up the conversation again. I've not seen any results from the Zoom meeting nor any indication that there will be a reduction in the speed limit ... at least not yet.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

The Wyoming State Legislature is considering naming a portion of Wyoming Highway 120 near Cody as the Hank Coe Leadership Highway.

I am surprised that there are not many other legislatively named highways in Wyoming as noted at the end of the article.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/24/bill-designating-hank-coe-highway-advances/

QuoteHenry Huttleston Rogers "Hank"  Coe passed away just two months ago at the age of 74 after battling pancreatic cancer – less than a year after his retirement from public office. 

He served in the Wyoming Legislature for 32 years in a multitude of roles, including majority floor leader, Senate vice president and Semate President, and chaired a number of committees.

Among his many achievements, Coe played an instrumental role in creating the Hathaway Scholarship, a merit-based scholarship which benefits Wyoming students who attend state colleges and the University of Wyoming. ...

House Bill 135 designating the highway has been approved by the House and was approved Tuesday in its first reading by the Senate. If the Senate approves the bill in two more readings, it will go to the desk of Gov. Mark Gordon for his signature.

If it passes, the "Hank Coe Leadership Highway"  will join other memorial roadways such as the "Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home Highway"  on Interstate 25; the "Wyoming Women's Suffrage Pathway"  on Highway 28 in Fremont County; the "Medal of Honor Highway"  on Highway 20 between Wyoming's borders with Montana and Nebraska, and the "Wild Horse Highway"  east of Cody on Highway 14/16/20.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Construction of pavement rehabilitation and bridge work on Interstate 80 at the WYO 76 interchange east of Sinclair begins this week and extend into 2022.

https://oilcity.news/community/2021/03/19/multi-year-i-80-construction-work-east-of-sinclair-beginning-in-march/

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Quote from: andy3175 on March 16, 2021, 10:10:48 PM
Wyoming is considering an increase to the fuel tax.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/02/wyoming-needs-higher-fuel-tax-for-roads-official-says/

Wyoming needs the proposed increase in fuel taxes to keep up with its highway maintenance, according to an official with the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Doug McGee, public affairs manager for WYDOT, told Cowboy State Daily the department is facing a shortfall of about $354 million in unfunded needs per year. "Certainly, this fuel tax is very much needed to maintain our roads and bridges — our transportation system — to the level that Wyoming citizens expect,"  McGee said.

House Bill 26, which would increase the state's fuel tax from 24 cents to 33 cents per gallon for both diesel and gasoline, passed the House Transportation, Highways and Military Affairs Committee last week on a 6-3 vote. The extra 9 cents per gallon would be a 37.5 percent increase in the state's fuel taxes and would bring Wyoming's fuel tax to the same level as neighboring Idaho. ...

"Wyoming's economy – indeed, the nation's economy – travels on Wyoming's roads,"  he pointed out. "We need good, solid infrastructure to keep our economy strong."  McGee added that tourism, the third largest economic sector in the state, relies on the highways and interstates that the bill would help maintain.

McGee said the department would receive a little over $40 million of the $61.47 million the increased tax would generate — and while that is just a fraction of the shortfall WYDOT is facing, every dollar counts. ...

WYDOT Director Luke Reiner has said that for every dollar not spent on preventative maintenance on roadways, $4 to $8 will be required for complete highway reconstruction down the road.

The increase has won the support of a number of organizations including the Powder River Basin Resource Council, Wyoming Taxpayers Association, Wyoming County Commissioners Association, Wyoming Lodging and Restaurant Association, and Wyoming Association of Municipalities. The groups spoke in favor of the tax increase during a hearing on the bill held by the committee on Feb. 23. Many said that although they would not normally support increased taxes, the fuel tax proposal is different.

SM-G975U
The fuel tax increase bill died.

https://oilcity.news/wyoming/legislature/2021/03/24/wyoming-house-let-fuel-tax-hike-proposal-to-generate-60-3m-per-year-die/

QuoteThe Wyoming House of Representatives failed to consider House Bill 26 ahead of Monday's deadline to consider legislation on first reading (Committee of the Whole) during the 2021 General Session.

The bill would have increased the tax on gasoline, diesel and alternative fuel by nine cents per gallon along with "comparable increases in the tax distributions on fuel used in snowmobiles, motorboats and off-road recreational vehicles,"  according to the Legislative Service Office.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Construction begins on bridge and pavement replacement along Interstate 80 between US 287 (Third Street)  and Business 80 (Curtis Street) (Mileposts 310 to 313) in Laramie starting March 29.

https://oilcity.news/general/2021/03/28/summer-construction-on-i-80-around-laramie-begins-monday/

QuoteCrews will be replacing concrete slabs and placing a high performance wearing course, which helps preserve the new pavement and gives better traction. 

In addition to the pavement work, crews will be completing bridge rehabilitation work along multiple structures within the project area, including the structures over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks as well as the structures crossing the Laramie River.

Each rehabilitated bridge will receive either an epoxy or latex overlay, which also helps with traction and preservation, WYDOT said.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

ski-man

Oh yes, they have definitely already started this work. made the mistake of taking I-80 to get across town instead on city streets. Traffic wasn't too bad bad the semi's go very slow through this area due to the narrow lanes with the temp concrete barriers.

andy3175

WYO 130 bridge east of Saratoga has been temporarily repaired, allowing for weight restrictions to end.

https://oilcity.news/wyoming/2021/03/31/wydot-lifts-weight-restrictions-on-wyo-130-structural-support-added-to-bridge-near-saratoga/

QuoteThe Wyoming Department of Transportation said on Wednesday, March 31 that weight restrictions for legal loads traveling along Wyoming Highway 130 east of Saratoga have been lifted.

Work to add structural support to a bridge along the highway has allowed the restrictions to be lifted.

"Crews with the Wyoming Department of Transportation and Reiman Corp. recently finished shoring the bridge, which adds additional support underneath the structure,"  WYDOT said. "The bridge is located near mile marker 57, close to Carbon County Road 504."  ...

The bridge will be replaced with a culvert later this summer and WYDOT said they will release further information about this project and potential travel impacts at a later date. Motorists should expect delays from construction activity once the work is underway.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Three road construction projects are underway this summer in Yellowstone National Park:

- Grand Loop Road between Tower-Roosevelt and Canyon Junction - planned improvements include a wider road (better shoulders, not additional lanes); additional pullouts for slower traffic (or motorists viewing wildlife); and improved/larger Tower Fall General Store parking area, trail, and overlook. Completion anticipated May 2022.

- North Entrance - improve flow of motorists and pedestrians and modify entry facilities to reduce waiting times to enter the park. Completion anticipated Fall 2021.

- Old Faithful Overpass - the deck of the overpass of this trumpet interchange at Old Faithful on the southwestern segment of the Grand Loop Road needed replacement. Work began in 2020 and continues until completion in fall 2021. (The interchange directs travelers from the Grand Loop Road to Old Faithful and the surrounding geyser basin and its many trails and visitor amenities including the Old Faithful Lodge, food, gas, and shops.) While much progress has been made on the overpass, one-way traffic may be enforced for a period of time until the work is completed later this year.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/04/08/yellowstone-officials-prepare-for-three-major-road-projects-in-2021/

QuoteEven though Yellowstone National Park is set to open its gates beginning April 16, preparations are already being made for three major road construction projects will occur in the park this year.

One project will force the closure of the highway between Tower-Roosevelt and Canyon Junction, while the other two projects will cause delays and/or traffic pattern changes – one at the Old Faithful Overpass Bridge and the other at the North Entrance.

https://buckrail.com/work-continues-on-old-faithful-overpass-bridge/

QuoteThe Old Faithful overpass bridge remains closed as repair work continues. The closure allows crews full access to the entire deck surface and approach lanes.

Crews are making deck repairs, new approach slabs, new curbing, girder repairs, railing improvements, and the removal and replacement of deck drains. ...

The overpass was closed on July 22, 2020, due to safety concerns for the National Park Service to evaluate the condition of the bridge.

https://sheridanmedia.com/news/43627/2021-yellowstone-road-construction-projects-to-improve-visitor-safety-access-and-experience/
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Rest areas previously closed will reopen ... at least temporarily.

https://oilcity.news/community/2021/05/06/9-wyoming-rest-areas-to-reopen-for-2021-tourist-season-in-time-for-memorial-day-weekend/

QuoteNine Wyoming rest areas which were closed in June 2020 as a cost-saving measure will re-open ahead of Memorial Day weekend, the Wyoming Office of Tourism said on Thursday.
Governor Mark Gordon has directed the Wyoming Department of Transportation and the Wyoming Office of Tourism to temporarily re-open the following rest areas for at least the duration of the 2021 tourist season.

The list includes:

Lusk on US 18-20

Guernsey on US 26

Greybull on US 14-16-20 and WYO 789

Moorcroft on I-90 and US 14-16

Star Valley on US 89

Sundance on I-90 and US 14

Upton on US 16

Orin Jct on I-25 and US 18-20

Chugwater on I-25

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.