News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

What is up with the traffic pattern inside the Wabash Tunnel in Pittsburgh? Why is it only open at certain times to only one direction only?

Just discovered it's existence including the busway tunnel just east of it and was curious about it. It links no freeways and is between local streets. It's striped for two lanes so it seems odd it's not open 24/7.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: qguy on April 06, 2021, 06:32:25 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 05, 2021, 05:12:16 PM
Probably connected campuses of the former Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry closed between 1987-1990

No probably's about it. That's exactly what that is.

PA closed another facility for the mentally ill around the same time, in the shadow of the Limerick cooling towers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennhurst_State_School_and_Hospital

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 15, 2021, 06:40:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 14, 2021, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2021, 09:29:35 PM
Was I-76 at one time to anyone's knowledge to only be in PA and NJ? As a child I remember one of my dads old PA maps showed I-76 exiting the Turnpike in Monroeville where I-376 ends and follow it to end at Downtown Pittsburgh where I-79 was proposed to be I-279 then with I-79 being I-279.

In addition the rest of I-76 in PA and OH was I-80S.   Did I remember a brief moment of I-76 in Pittsburgh?
you are correct
To add: such was true until 1972.

Meaning I-76 once ran through the Parkway East and West tubes and crossed the Fort Pitt Bridge, it seems like.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ixnay on April 22, 2021, 06:37:07 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 15, 2021, 06:40:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 14, 2021, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2021, 09:29:35 PM
Was I-76 at one time to anyone's knowledge to only be in PA and NJ? As a child I remember one of my dads old PA maps showed I-76 exiting the Turnpike in Monroeville where I-376 ends and follow it to end at Downtown Pittsburgh where I-79 was proposed to be I-279 then with I-79 being I-279.

In addition the rest of I-76 in PA and OH was I-80S.   Did I remember a brief moment of I-76 in Pittsburgh?
you are correct
To add: such was true until 1972.

Meaning I-76 once ran through the Parkway East and West tubes and crossed the Fort Pitt Bridge, it seems like.

ixnay

Only for 1 year did it cross the Fort Pitt Bridge.

QuoteI-70 (1960 - 1964):  Exit 64A to I-76/PA Turnpike
I-79 (1964 - 1972):  Exit 64A to Exit 70C
I-76 (1964 - 1973):  Exit 70C to I-76/PA Turnpike
I-76 (1972 - 1973):  Exit 64A to Exit 70C
I-279 (1973 - 2009):  Exit 64A to Exit 70C
https://www.pahighways.com/interstates/I376.html

Mr_Northside

Quote from: roadman65 on April 21, 2021, 10:01:09 PM
What is up with the traffic pattern inside the Wabash Tunnel in Pittsburgh? Why is it only open at certain times to only one direction only?

When the Port Authority rehabbed it for automobile use, they decided it was just a little bit to narrow for 2-way traffic.  In that regard it's usually open in the direction that favors whichever rush hour is applicable.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

noelbotevera

What was the original plans for the PA 147 freeway (south of Lewisburg)? It looks like there's a stub but there's no clear ROW to the south. Was this a bypass for Chillisquaque or would it have tied into US 15?

My hypothesis: Maybe this had to do with a Lewisburg bypass for US 15?

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 22, 2021, 10:11:13 PM
What was the original plans for the PA 147 freeway (south of Lewisburg)? It looks like there's a stub but there's no clear ROW to the south. Was this a bypass for Chillisquaque or would it have tied into US 15?

I thought it always had to do with the CSVT.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 23, 2021, 09:45:49 AM

I wondered this also.  Is the currently-in-progress CSVT following the path of the very original proposal?  Or was the proposal different.
And how did the US 15 freeway that runs north and south from I-80 on the west side of the river tie into all of this?  Or was it completely separate and stand-alone (since there aren't any obvious stubs)?

Roadsguy

I imagine the current stub was built with the intention of connecting to the CSVT, but the original PA 147 super-2 is much older. How long had the CSVT been planned rather than just extending the current 11/15 freeway up to I-80?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CentralPAGal

Presently under construction as part of the larger CSVT/Shamokin Dam bypass project. I believe that portion is supposed to open to traffic next year, actually.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Alps

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 23, 2021, 11:13:07 AM

I wondered this also.  Is the currently-in-progress CSVT following the path of the very original proposal?  Or was the proposal different.
And how did the US 15 freeway that runs north and south from I-80 on the west side of the river tie into all of this?  Or was it completely separate and stand-alone (since there aren't any obvious stubs)?
If you go back a few years to the project beginning there was a thread on this topic. Can't search right now from my phone.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 23, 2021, 06:48:24 PM
PennDOT:  Chemical Road, I-476 North Ramp to Chemical Road Remain Closed Due to Underground Sinkholes in Plymouth Township

There was a sinkhole that developed on I-76 in King of Prussia (on the westbound collector-distributor roadway) that created a suspension-crunching dip a few weeks ago.  The lane closure caused a traffic nightmare but they fortunately only needed 10 days to repair.  Definitely a recurring issue in this area.

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on April 26, 2021, 07:32:04 PM
PennDOT:  Chemical Road, I-476 North Ramp to Chemical Road Remain Closed Due to Underground Sinkholes in Plymouth Township

There was a sinkhole that developed on I-76 in King of Prussia (on the westbound collector-distributor roadway) that created a suspension-crunching dip a few weeks ago.  The lane closure caused a traffic nightmare but they fortunately only needed 10 days to repair.  Definitely a recurring issue in this area.

Weren't there also recurring sinkholes during either or both of the reconstruction of the King of Prussia interchange complex in the early 2000s and the construction of the Mid-County interchange in the 1990s? I remember reading about that.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

qguy

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 26, 2021, 11:28:09 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on April 26, 2021, 07:32:04 PM
Weren't there also recurring sinkholes during either or both of the reconstruction of the King of Prussia interchange complex in the early 2000s and the construction of the Mid-County interchange in the 1990s? I remember reading about that.

Yes. I worked for PennDOT at the District 6 office nearby during that project. There are bad sinkholes in that area because of the limestone there. I stood next to one of the gaping holes that developed.

Because of the geotechnical investigations, the sinkholes were expected and a temporary grout factory was built on-site to produce the massive quantities of the stuff needed to be injected down into the voids.

74/171FAN

Traffic is being fully shifted to the outside lanes on I-83 NB just weekend north of Union Deposit Rd.

PennDOT: Weekend Lane Restriction Scheduled for NB I-83 Project Near Harrisburg

roadman65

Why is the Pennsylvania Turnpike now six lanes west of Carlisle?  Is the area around Blue Mountain a new bedroom community for Harrisburg?

The last time I drove on it, it was 25 miles exit less (the second longest gap on the system next to Somerset to Bedford at 36 miles) so I do not see local traffic an issue.  Then it narrows to four lanes east of US 11 closer to the Harrisburg Metro Area.

Is that just to justify keeping tolls or is there really congestion in the rural farmlands?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2021, 02:50:23 AM
Why is the Pennsylvania Turnpike now six lanes west of Carlisle?  Is the area around Blue Mountain a new bedroom community for Harrisburg?

The last time I drove on it, it was 25 miles exit less (the second longest gap on the system next to Somerset to Bedford at 36 miles) so I do not see local traffic an issue.  Then it narrows to four lanes east of US 11 closer to the Harrisburg Metro Area.

Is that just to justify keeping tolls or is there really congestion in the rural farmlands?

Because they're widening all the sections they reconstruct to six lanes (at least all the ones not reconstructed before they decided to widen), and for whatever reason decided to reconstruct those sections first over the last decade. I do wish they'd have put that funding toward widening from Valley Forge out to Morgantown, though...

jemacedo9

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 28, 2021, 07:00:02 AM

Because they're widening all the sections they reconstruct to six lanes (at least all the ones not reconstructed before they decided to widen), and for whatever reason decided to reconstruct those sections first over the last decade. I do wish they'd have put that funding toward widening from Valley Forge out to Morgantown, though...

The original reconstruction was going to be the original Turnpike section (Irwin to Carlisle).  Then they added some of the higher volume sections as well (Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philly areas).

Valley Forge to Great Valley was mired in environmental lawsuits for years, which I think have been resolved but caused expensive re-design?

Crown Victoria

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 28, 2021, 08:17:04 AM

The original reconstruction was going to be the original Turnpike section (Irwin to Carlisle).  Then they added some of the higher volume sections as well (Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philly areas).

Valley Forge to Great Valley was mired in environmental lawsuits for years, which I think have been resolved but caused expensive re-design?

The PA Turnpike has made some interesting decisions as far as where and when it does its reconstruction and widening projects. They need to balance out the needs of the system in the more populated areas with the fact that the original Irwin-Carlisle stretch is now over 80 years old with the remaining unreconstructed segments being somewhat substandard and still having the original pavement underneath (not to mention the fact that just over half of that original stretch carries quite a bit of traffic from I-70). This is why the Blue Mountain-Carlisle segment has been done, and why the stretch just west of Somerset is being done currently, while areas near Philly and Pittsburgh keep waiting.

As far as that Valley Forge segment, the lawsuits have indeed been resolved. The only reason it hasn't gone to construction yet is money...

74/171FAN

Roadsguy

Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 28, 2021, 08:35:47 AM
As far as that Valley Forge segment, the lawsuits have indeed been resolved. The only reason it hasn't gone to construction yet is money...

Apparently half of it (they split it into two phases) has gone to construction, technically, but so far it's just tree clearing.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 28, 2021, 08:17:04 AM

They apparently figured out during the first string of total reconstruction projects (mostly in eastern Westmoreland County, from New Stanton to Somerset County) that it was conducive to the 6-lane widenings (while those first projects didn't always add lanes, it was still widened - mostly the median).  By the time they do all the shifting to maintain 4 lanes during construction, it becomes cost effective (though still more expensive than just a 4-lane reconstruction) to do 6 lanes.  The PTC website had, and may still have, a little video on the reasoning behind the 6-lane template.

They were going at a pretty good pace, until the financial situation has drastically slowed all the sections down.  The PTC press releases at the time (late 90's) mentioned rebuilding the "original" turnpike sections.   Of course, now, a little over 20 years later, the whole thing (and NE Extension) is older than just the original Irwin - Carlisle was back when they started those 70/76 concurrency sections in Westmoreland Co. - and at this rate it seems it will take decades more.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

PennDOT: Wolf Administration Previews 2021 Construction Season for Northwest Region

I am mainly posting this to note that traffic signal timings are being adjusted in Erie to account for the upcoming Bayfront Pkwy project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.