News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csw

That one's on East Morris St. heading eastbound at the I-65 South ramp. Most of the other state names around Indy are either I-70 or I-465, but there's another I-65 at 21st and Capitol.

formulanone

Quote from: csw on January 22, 2020, 05:50:48 PM
That one's on East Morris St. heading eastbound at the I-65 South ramp.

That's exactly it! I forgot where exactly where I took it.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: formulanone on January 22, 2020, 06:21:45 PM
Quote from: csw on January 22, 2020, 05:50:48 PM
That one's on East Morris St. heading eastbound at the I-65 South ramp. Most of the other state names around Indy are either I-70 or I-465, but there's another I-65 at 21st and Capitol.

That's exactly it!
Not bad, I know there's a state named 465 or 70 shield somewhere along Sam Jones Expwy.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

csw

Spent the week in Minneapolis and saw two state-named I-94 shields around downtown.

First one on Franklin Ave, https://goo.gl/maps/gccMkwRyP4i9bLLj6

Second on 11th St, https://goo.gl/maps/TD6KhG5TCwA2QPMo8

Haven't seen photos of these on the board anywhere. Perhaps one of the Minnesota folks can grab a photo.

1995hoo

The nice state-name I-95 shield seen in the Street View image linked below was just replaced within the past week or two with the ugly thing seen in the photo below (photo taken yesterday afternoon when I was walking home from the ATM).

Street View of old shield: https://goo.gl/maps/eHSX1BW1QjsaATHL8

Its replacement:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 02, 2020, 02:43:31 PMIts replacement:

Such reminds me a little bit of those 90s-vintage I-95 shields that were erected in the medians of the NJ Turnpike between Exit 10 and 8A.

From Alpsroads.net

Although the numerals on those were the bolder Series E-Modified as opposed to Series E per the above-pic.  IMHO, Series D numerals should've been used for the I-95 shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

csw

One of a few old I-180s in the Williamsport, PA, area.

One of two at Exit 50 on I-64, east of Lexington, VA.

Two slightly different-styled shields at the Covington, KY, end of the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge.

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Ian

A few district-named I-95 shields I found in Washington a few months ago. The first one is on Constitution Avenue NW approaching Louisiana Avenue NW while the second two (hearkening back to when 95 still entered downtown DC) hang underneath L'Enfant Plaza.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bobby5280

That's some Helvetica there. Perhaps a commercial sign company built those panels rather than a DOT sign department. Still not much of an excuse.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 08, 2020, 01:54:26 PM
That's some Helvetica there. Perhaps a commercial sign company built those panels rather than a DOT sign department. Still not much of an excuse.

DDOT loves Helvetica for some reason. When I was there in 2007 all the street blades except for a handful were in Helvetica.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

As a general rule, Kansas doesn't use named shields, but I found an old one last Summer near Colby, KS

Arkansas is very hit and miss. Newer signs have about a 60 percent chance of not being named

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

csw

Two of maybe 6-7 I-79s on Neville Island.

Revive 755

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 28, 2016, 09:52:21 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM

This is the last iteration of the map--let me know if I should change anything

If this map gets updated again, I'm wondering if Iowa should be changed to yellow - the first shield for WB I-880 after the split from WB I-80 has the state name.  Also, maybe they are all surviving shields, but there seems to be more state named shields than neutered shields across Iowa.

paulthemapguy

Iowa I would definitely change to yellow or green, having driven around that state much more in recent years.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Takumi

The lone known state name I-295 VA shield still stands as of today, for now. There's construction on Greenwood Road so it could end up a casualty.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US 89

The conventional wisdom among road enthusiasts that there are no Tennessee state-named shields is incorrect. As of yesterday, I can confirm that at least two old ones still exist in Chattanooga. Unfortunately, photos don't really turn out when you're facing south at noon in November.

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

formulanone

Found a few more, combing through recent uploads...

Rhode Island has two at northbound US 1, where it begins to overlap I-95:

...not that my travels are extensive in Utah, but this was a nice surprise:

Spotted a rare Tennessee I-40 shield last week in Bartlett, Tennessee; but I couldn't get a clear shot. (Updated GMSV)

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2021, 07:49:37 AM
Spotted a rare Tennessee I-40 shield last week in Bartlett, Tennessee; but I couldn't get a clear shot. (GSMV not updated.)

That state named shield is thanks to Jeff. Photo from January 2019.
The only genuine state named shields in Tennessee are the I-24 span wire overheads in East Ridge. Those were still there as of last September.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on July 30, 2021, 09:24:33 AM
The only genuine state named shields in Tennessee are the I-24 span wire overheads in East Ridge. Those were still there as of last September.

Wow, a little off-spec but I'll check those out next time I'm in Chattanooga...didn't know about those!

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2021, 11:19:19 AM

Wow, a little off-spec but I'll check those out next time I'm in Chattanooga...didn't know about those!

Somebody care to post the Street View link?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2021, 03:36:46 PM

Somebody care to post the Street View link?

https://goo.gl/maps/weBddb65Ms9tWR3c8
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

csw

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2021, 07:49:37 AM
Found a few more, combing through recent uploads...

Rhode Island has two at northbound US 1, where it begins to overlap I-95:
There are a few more around that spot - I believe every shield at that intersection/interchange has the state name.

Mapmikey

Anyone know if these literal state named Tennessee I-75 shields are still up?  GMSV is from June 2018
https://goo.gl/maps/phGh1kcjsiKg8E536

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.