News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange bike signal!

Started by Amtrakprod, November 24, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Has anyone seen a bike signal like this, or does anyone know who makes them;

Also, why is this bike signal have so much red and green, why isn't is such a slim cut:

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

US 89

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 24, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

resized images

I remember seeing quite a few of these in London. I also distinctly remember taking a picture of one, but I can't find it at the moment.

1995hoo

I've seen some bike signals of that sort in downtown DC. I don't think any of the cyclists have noticed them, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jjakucyk

Signals like that are de rigueur in the more bike-friendly parts of the world.  They're pretty well ubiquitous in Denmark, The Netherlands, and Belgium where there's a lot of dedicated cycle tracks.   

Bruce

These are standard for most protected bike lane setups on the West Coast. Or anywhere else in the world.

Jet380

In a lot of European countries, all signals are on the nearside of the intersection with none on the far side. To help the person at the front of the queue know when to go, they have these miniature lights attached to the pole - not just for cyclists, but for general traffic as well:

My theory is that since a lot of these countries happen to be quite cyclist-friendly, other jurisdictions have installed the miniature lights to imitate this style and show how they are trying to encourage cycling. This is despite the fact they don't have much obvious benefit compared to a standard far-side bicycle signal.

jjakucyk

^Except in many cases the bike signal gets an early green, or holds a red during turning movements for the main road.  They're not just redundant signals. 

jakeroot

Quote from: jjakucyk on November 26, 2018, 08:39:58 AM
^Except in many cases the bike signal gets an early green, or holds a red during turning movements for the main road.  They're not just redundant signals.

I think you misinterpreted Jet380's comment. They don't have issues with bike signals themselves, but are questioning the usefulness of nearside bike signals when far-side signals are already used.

Personally, I think all movements should have redundant signals in case of knockdown, electrical issue, visibility, etc. This definitely includes bike signals, as cyclists could be put in a very dangerous situation if they don't see their dedicated signal, especially a non-functioning red signal. Same goes for turns across bike lanes.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on December 02, 2018, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: jjakucyk on November 26, 2018, 08:39:58 AM

I think you misinterpreted Jet380's comment. They don't have issues with bike signals themselves, but are questioning the usefulness of nearside bike signals when far-side signals are already used.

Personally, I think all movements should have redundant signals in case of knockdown, electrical issue, visibility, etc. This definitely includes bike signals, as cyclists could be put in a very dangerous situation if they don't see their dedicated signal, especially a non-functioning red signal. Same goes for turns across bike lanes.
I agree with Jake, and since the far side signal is very unclear, since it looks cheap, it's especially needed the near side signal

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

skquinn

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 24, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Also, why is this bike signal have so much red and green, why isn't is such a slim cut:

iPhone

These are being used for at least some of the bicycle signals in downtown Houston and some other parts of Houston with bike paths (Yale Street at 7th Street comes to mind).

hotdogPi

Then there's this signal in Quebec City, which isn't a bike signal, but the same idea:

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Downtown Syracuse, NY has one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Bruce on November 24, 2018, 06:49:57 PM
These are standard for most protected bike lane setups on the West Coast. Or anywhere else in the world.

I'm almost certain I saw one in Tucson over a decade ago, but it might have been replaced with this: https://goo.gl/maps/zqVAQTwhFxU8WXX28
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mrsman

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 05, 2020, 10:07:40 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 24, 2018, 06:49:57 PM

I'm almost certain I saw one in Tucson over a decade ago, but it might have been replaced with this: https://goo.gl/maps/zqVAQTwhFxU8WXX28

I wonder if there is any sort of regulation that requires that a pedestrian signal only be placed perpendicular to HAWK, not a vehicular R-Y-G signal.  The standard bike signal, while only for bikes, is still a vehicular R-Y-G signal and may not be allowed to be placed here.

The bike signal is not really necessary, as they could just follow the ped signal.  There is even a sign to tell bicyclists to do so.

RobbieL2415

NYC has been deploying these signals for their bike lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.