News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Span Wire Vs Mast Arm

Started by Amtrakprod, January 04, 2019, 08:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer

Span Wire
17 (18.5%)
Mast Arm
75 (81.5%)

Total Members Voted: 92

PurdueBill

Probably because of seeing so many in Indiana, where INDOT does span wire setups right (massively overbuilt), I don't mind them.  But in my native Massachusetts, MassDOT and their predecessors (MassHighway and DPW) build flimsier ones in comparison that sag and don't look right when you see photos side by side.  INDOT does massively overbuild span wire setups but it does seem to pay off.  I've seen failed ones in Massachusettts, Ohio, and Delaware, but not Indiana.

It pains me to see places like West Lafayette taking down span wire assemblies left behind by INDOT that had decades of life left in them just because they didn't look good for the streetscape (e.g., Northwestern and Stadium; Northwestern and Lindberg; Grant and Wood; State and River; River and Howard; River and Harrison Bridge offramp just to name a few) to replace them with fancy mast arm assemblies.  Do like South Bend did and paint them.  Coat of black paint on masts and signals and they appear as all new.  A LOT less waste, and could have reused what INDOT left in place free of charge.

kphoger

Mast arm.  But I also like stoplights mounted to bridges.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 07, 2019, 09:56:39 PM

Like bridge assemblies (what I would call a gantry), or actual bridges?

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 10:28:05 PM

Actual bridges.  Like this.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 07, 2019, 10:42:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 10:28:05 PM
Actual bridges.  Like this.

Ahh, okay. Would something more modern like this count as well? http://bit.ly/2QvZgRE

I'm totally cool with bridge mounting too, as long as it's not too high up.

DaBigE

Then we have the mother of all bridge mounts: https://goo.gl/maps/xnU51UXQEcE2 (at least in the state of Wisconsin)

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 11:11:38 PM

Too high? If the MUTCD is followed, that should not be possible, in theory.
Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, 4D.15 (01)The top of the signal housing of a vehicular signal face located over any portion of a highway that can be used by motor vehicles shall not be more than 25.6 feet above the pavement.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman65

I like Mast arms but in Florida we use both and some span wires are okay, but dislike the ones where they drape two side by side cables like on US 98 in Lakeland north of I-4 or even in some Orlando set ups.  One span wire can hold up to 30 or more heads over a wide intersection ( I am talking diagonally) but lately two wires holding two directions each are installed around Orlando and Lakeland.

In Tampa and surrounding Hillsborough County, they seem to be using one wire instead of the two (the support cable on top that sags, and the power supply cable that is level) that Florida always had between concrete strain poles and going like New York, but using super fat (5 feet diameter) metal poles which look so gawky to the eyes.  Mast arms are appearing less frequently in the Bay Area despite in the Panhandle and South Florida span wires are getting hard to find.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on January 07, 2019, 11:33:46 PM

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, 4D.15 (01)The top of the signal housing of a vehicular signal face located over any portion of a highway that can be used by motor vehicles shall not be more than 25.6 feet above the pavement.

I would personally consider 25.6 feet to be too high up, even if set back. If they lowered the signals from the bridge and/or added some pole-mounted signals (to reduce neck craning), that would make it better.

Then we have the mother of all bridge mounts: https://goo.gl/maps/xnU51UXQEcE2 (at least in the state of Wisconsin)

Holy shit, that's gotta be a record! The record holder in WA is probably this junction in Bellevue, where a measly 18 signals are attached to the bridge in some manner, but it's dwarfed by the number in your Wisconsin example. There's so many, I keep losing count! In no part thanks to Wisconsin's usually excellent signal placement requirements.

roadman65

Speaking of signals attached to bridges, I noticed NJ most signals that are around overpasses seem to have those needed placement under the structures to be on side mount pedestal poles.

Even NJ with their first SPUI intersection in East Windsor, NJDOT or the NJTA opted to not attach them to the bridge but to place them on poles next to or the horizontal mount arms under the structure. I guess NJDOT has an issue with that or just never thought of.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 11:53:12 PM

Holy shit, that's gotta be a record! The record holder in WA is probably this junction in Bellevue, where a measly 18 signals are attached to the bridge in some manner, but it's dwarfed by the number in your Wisconsin example. There's so many, I keep losing count! In no part thanks to Wisconsin's usually excellent signal placement requirements.

If I counted the plans correctly, there are 24 attached in some fashion to the bridge structure (vertically in the web, horizontally from the flange, or suspended vertically from the web, but below the flange).

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on January 08, 2019, 12:18:21 AM
If I counted the plans correctly, there are 24 attached in some fashion to the bridge structure (vertically in the web, horizontally from the flange, or suspended vertically from the web, but below the flange).

I think a SPUI's tight right-of-way seems to necessitate bridge placement. Armed with this knowledge, I scoured other SPUIs in WA that might have a few. I found one with a slightly-more-impressive 22 in Vancouver. I can't think of any other situation that would require such a high number of signals beneath a bridge.

Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2019, 12:02:43 AM
Speaking of signals attached to bridges, I noticed NJ most signals that are around overpasses seem to have those needed placement under the structures to be on side mount pedestal poles.

Even NJ with their first SPUI intersection in East Windsor, NJDOT or the NJTA opted to not attach them to the bridge but to place them on poles next to or the horizontal mount arms under the structure. I guess NJDOT has an issue with that or just never thought of.

I went on street view to check out that SPUI. NJ, as usually, has the best signal placement of any northeastern state. I quite like what they did, and appreciate them trying to keep the signals closer to eye level, something that's harder to do with bridge placement unless they are dropped down in some way.

paulthemapguy

I would guess that the record holder in this regard would be somewhere along an Interstate in Texas, but I'm not gonna do any extensive research to back up that guess  :-D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Henry

Mast arms for me (although lamppost-mounted signals are even cooler!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DaBigE

Quote from: Henry on January 08, 2019, 11:58:31 AM

Are we talking one mounted to a light pole via a monotube or mast arm, or directly on the light pole support itself? Got the best of both here in one intersection.

mroad860

Depends on the situation. Span wire seems more appropriate for any rural area or rural village area where other utility wires are on poles. Some states do it right (NY, CT, FL) where they make the signals look neatly mounted and balanced.

Mast arms (thinner, shorter) look better for an area that has all of its utilities buried underground. NYC, NJ, CA

I'm not a fan of the thicker mast arms. They almost appear toy-like in appearance. They look more appropriate for a shopping area full of big box stores

Ground pedestal or light pole mounted signals looks best (used to be more common in Mass). Aside from overhead visibility issues. Some places (like Ireland) only use overhead signals when needed but most are on ground pedestals which have a neat appearance and there seems to be little visibility issue

Amtrakprod

I would personally consider 25.6 feet to be too high up, even if set back. If they lowered the signals from the bridge and/or added some pole-mounted signals (to reduce neck craning), that would make it better.

For some reason Belmont has way too high cantilevers to a point that I think it is dangerous: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3762972,-71.1588352,3a,60y,116.94h,91.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFW9EjgwtIInOFR0gLGCtFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 09, 2019, 07:12:58 AM

For some reason Belmont has way too high cantilevers to a point that I think it is dangerous: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3762972,-71.1588352,3a,60y,116.94h,91.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFW9EjgwtIInOFR0gLGCtFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They may be within legal height (barely -- too high IMO) but I wouldn't think those were within the "cone of vision".

Henry

Quote from: DaBigE on January 08, 2019, 01:32:44 PM

Are we talking one mounted to a light pole via a monotube or mast arm, or directly on the light pole support itself? Got the best of both here in one intersection.
I was thinking more like these examples in Washington, DC, where the signals are mounted directly on top of the pole.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2019, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 09, 2019, 07:12:58 AM

They may be within legal height (barely -- too high IMO) but I wouldn't think those were within the "cone of vision".
Yeah, when I was at the stop line I couldn't see the signals and had to reverse

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on January 09, 2019, 12:01:08 PM
I was thinking more like these examples in Washington, DC, where the signals are mounted directly on top of the pole.

Those are just "poles" or "pedestals", not really lamp-posts. The only time you really see true "lamp + signals" in DC is on some of the newer "short arm" mast arm installs, like this. I'm not sure I've seen lamps positioned above post-only signals in DC, like in WI example above.

Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 09, 2019, 03:00:36 PM

Did you stop at the stop line?

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2019, 04:37:01 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 09, 2019, 12:01:08 PM

Those are just "poles" or "pedestals", not really lamp-posts. The only time you really see true "lamp + signals" in DC is on some of the newer "short arm" mast arm installs, like this. I'm not sure I've seen lamps positioned above post-only signals in DC, like in WI example above.

Yes, it's way too high, I had to put my head out the window.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 09, 2019, 08:21:46 PM

Geez. Sounds like someone didn't do any cone of vision study.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2019, 10:31:47 PM

Yeah, maybe has to do with electric bus lines

roadfro

Per MUTCD Section 4D.15 and figure 4D-5, the top of a signal head 40 feet from the stop line can be as high as 21 feet off the ground, ranging up to 25.6 feet high for a signal head 53 feet or more from the stop line.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on January 11, 2019, 10:58:24 AM

Per MUTCD Section 4D.15 and figure 4D-5, the top of a signal head 40 feet from the stop line can be as high as 21 feet off the ground, ranging up to 25.6 feet high for a signal head 53 feet or more from the stop line.

Thanks, I did not know the rules were that liberal; they should really be looked at again. I don't really mind signals that far overhead, as there can be numerous physical restrictions (trolley wire, perhaps), but at least use some signals on poles so that they aren't the only thing to look at.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.