"STATE LINE" as a "Control City"

Started by ethanhopkin14, September 24, 2020, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

In Hollywood, if part of a movies' plot has to do with characters reaching another state, they will usually show, from the point of view of the characters looking out of the moving car, a sign that just reads "State Line      30".  In reality this sign is not standard, but I do want to say I have seen it here or there off the silver screen.  In Texas, I have never seen a state line reference on a distance sign, but who has seen it before?

briantroutman

If you're talking literally about the words "STATE LINE"  only (without mentioning the state), I don't think I've ever seen that listed as a destination on a mileage sign.

But I have seen at least a couple of examples here in Pennsylvania (here's one) where something like "NJ State Line"  was included on a post-interchange mileage sign. And most state borders are commonly included now on VMSes within 20-30 miles of a border, although I don't think that is what you were looking for.

Mapmikey

Xx State Line reassurance mileage signs are fairly common in Virginia

The narrow black and white destination signs at secondary road intersections in North Carolina have this with mileages

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: briantroutman on September 24, 2020, 04:52:15 PM
If you're talking literally about the words "STATE LINE"  only (without mentioning the state), I don't think I've ever seen that listed as a destination on a mileage sign.

But I have seen at least a couple of examples here in Pennsylvania (here's one) where something like "NJ State Line"  was included on a post-interchange mileage sign. And most state borders are commonly included now on VMSes within 20-30 miles of a border, although I don't think that is what you were looking for.

YEah, I was looking for just "STATE LINE" with no reference to the state, but still that one is a rare bird. 

US 89

First one that comes to mind is on US 64 at Teec Nos Pos, Arizona - in fact, it's the very first city mentioned on that highway.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 24, 2020, 04:56:40 PM
Xx State Line reassurance mileage signs are fairly common in Virginia

In that respect, here's a BGS on the Beltway that lists "MD State Line" as an intermediate point: https://goo.gl/maps/T8WbbKU1fzkawUe39
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

Oklahoma does it repeatedly on US-177:

(I have no idea what that little "BAR" notation means on the second one, which is the last mileage sign before Kansas.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

briantroutman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 24, 2020, 06:31:43 PM
(I have no idea what that little "BAR" notation means on the second one, which is the last mileage sign before Kansas.)

The State Line Bar?

webny99

The NYS Thruway westbound uses PA Line between Buffalo and the NY/PA line, although I can't say I've ever seen "state line" used without specifying which state.

Flint1979

Scott5114

Quote from: briantroutman on September 24, 2020, 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 24, 2020, 06:31:43 PM

The State Line Bar?

Why would they measure to that instead of the actual state line, though? Unless the bar owner added the "BAR" there for advertising...

Who knows, it's ODOT.

fwydriver405

With travel time signs that have popped up in Maine and Massachusetts, "STATE LINE" signage have appeared on such signs, but it is always with the state name:

Maine (there's another one further north in Ogunquit that says the exact same thing only with York/EXIT 7 instead of Kittery/EXIT 2 on top):

Massachusetts with New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont (NY is not listed because those signs say "NY Thruway" instead of NY State Line).

jmacswimmer

Here's an interesting one: I-287 north near Mahwah NJ has a standalone sign for "New Jersey State Line" - which technically isn't wrong, but really "New York State Line" would be much more intuitive here.  I always find that sign amusing when I'm heading up towards New England.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

briantroutman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2020, 03:12:07 AM
Why would they measure to that instead of the actual state line, though? Unless the bar owner added the "BAR" there for advertising...

That was my guess: The owner of the bar got his hands on a few stick-on letters from a brother-in-law who works at a sign shop, and he stuck the letters on the existing mileage sign. Part prank, part low-cost advertising.

Scott5114

Wouldn't necessarily even have to be from a sign shop–I've got a vinyl cutter and a copy of Series C, so if I got my hands on some reflective sheeting I could do that.

KCRoadFan

Bitmapped

Virginia uses "W. Va. Line" in some cases, like on US 250 west of Monterey: https://goo.gl/maps/nk1gvD2sJoF3n3Ek9

Brandon

A few for the Illinois-Indiana border.  Illinois uses "Indiana" as the control.  Indiana does indeed have "State Line" listed on a travel time sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/7SevdzBVjWeEPL689
https://goo.gl/maps/3Vmiop5ahgvc9Pxc6
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Mileage signs with STATE LINE as a destination can be found on I‐70 West before the Utah border in Colorado and on US‐491 North in New Mexico, just below Colorado's border.

JCinSummerfield

In northern lower Michigan, they also use the Mackinac Bridge as a control city.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cjk374 on October 16, 2020, 10:35:36 PM
US 79 north of Haynesville, LA.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nQpPFaJBesm8rqXG6
Good find! I've never known Louisiana to show this. Although majority of our state lines are across bodies of water.

iPhone

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 17, 2020, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on October 16, 2020, 10:35:36 PM
US 79 north of Haynesville, LA.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nQpPFaJBesm8rqXG6
Good find! I've never known Louisiana to show this. Although majority of our state lines are across bodies of water.

As you can see, this is one of  DOTD's newer and smaller destination signs. There has always been a bigger 2-post-using sign here that the new one was cloned after. I have a theory about why State Line is used here:

My railroad runs here, just not visible from US 79. At the stateline we have a small side track (holds about 10 cars). This is listed in our timetable as "State Line". I don't know if there was ever a community there way back in the day, but now there are no signs a community was ever there. No tellin.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.