News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

5 MPH Speed Limits (public roads whether enforceable or not)

Started by jakeroot, October 01, 2020, 05:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I did a search for "5 mph speed limits" (in quotes) but all I can get are partial results, where the '5' is part of 25, 35, 45, etc.

If there's a thread for this already (I couldn't find one), please lock and move!

There is an underpass in Renton, WA with a speed limit of 5 MPH. It is a very low railway underpass (8 foot clearance). The underpass has at least two clearance bars, two height warning signs, a stop sign, a red flasher, at least four amber flashers, and a 5 MPH posted limit (so idiots that hit the two prior clearance bars hit the bridge going slowly, I guess). Before the actual underpass, both approaches go through all-way stops where they've designed the sidewalk to cross the road to make the underpass appear like a private road or something.

In addition to everything I've mentioned, the 5 MPH limit is the only one I can think of in Washington State along a public road. Unless the Secretary of Transportation here in WA approved it, it's not enforceable as individual cities and counties cannot have limits below 20 mph. Still, it's along a public road.

Any other examples of 5 MPH speed limits? Not in parking lots, of course. Those are everywhere.

Max Rockatansky

Very common on military bases.  Apparently the UCMJ dictates 5 MPH if a limit isn't actually field signed. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2020, 05:25:43 PM
Very common on military bases.  Apparently the UCMJ dictates 5 MPH if a limit isn't actually field signed.

I see, although it looks like individual bases can set their own rules.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on October 01, 2020, 05:29:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2020, 05:25:43 PM

I see, although it looks like individual bases can set their own rules.

I believe so.  Truth be told the standards and driving rules are all over the place compared to the public world.  The signage is absolutely terrible and usually put up Public Works departments.  Example; I drove by 12x8 non reflective 5 MPH hour the other day. 

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on October 01, 2020, 06:49:04 PM
2013 imagery on GSV; MA 28 in North Reading

When I say "enforceable or not", I mean "actual speed limit signs installed by an authority even if the limit is too low to be legally enforceable per state law".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.