Signs that came with toys

Started by bandit957, December 23, 2020, 03:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I remember a few toys that included traffic signs when I was growing up in the 1970s and early 1980s.

I remember a small set of ho scale signs that I used with Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. These signs were pretty good replicas of real signs, not something that looked cartoonish. I think I still have them, but not the package they came in. The name on the package was Oppity Ho's or something that had Ho's in it, because they were ho scale.

I remember a Hot Wheels or Matchbox layout that included some BGS's, but they didn't have much rhyme or reason to them.

I also recall a set of wooden signs that were a little bigger. The post for each one was basically like a lollipop stick. I think this set included a barricade too.

Also I had a 'Sesame Street' toy that included a plastic stop sign. It was hexagonal, not octagonal. I remember the post for it breaking the first time I used it.

I also remember having a bunch of big cardboard mock-ups of traffic signs for hanging on the wall. Some of them had goofy sayings on them. These all got ruined when they got scribbled on with blue marker. I also had a big styrofoam BUMP sign hanging on my wall. I sold it at a yard sale when I was about 13.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ozarkman417

In those airline airport sets, there are airport signs like taxiway/runway signs as well as signs pointing to a theoretical departure and arrival terminal, among other signs.

jhuntin1

The US1 Electric Trucking sets immediately came to my mind. Most of them came with sweet looking BGS's which also featured prominently in their advertising. I always wanted them as a kid but never received them.

Max Rockatansky

Some Aurora HO sets came with highway signage.

GenExpwy

In the early or mid-1970s there was a kids' breakfast cereal that for a while had a highway sign sticker in each box. This was at the time when the MUTCD had just added a lot of symbol signs. I think there were 12 to collect, and I could only manage to get 11. I put them on the refrigerator.

Mapmikey

Girder and Panel Sets had a few highway signs but no route shields that I recall from the set I had in the late 70s (drawbridge)...

SectorZ

Quote from: jhuntin1 on December 24, 2020, 12:06:28 AM
The US1 Electric Trucking sets immediately came to my mind. Most of them came with sweet looking BGS's which also featured prominently in their advertising. I always wanted them as a kid but never received them.

I still have two sets that are pushing 35 years old in my basement. Sorry you missed out in your youth because I loved these as a kid. I think anyone here would.

M3100

I had a few signs too; I think they were an "off brand" that was somewhat to scale for the larger Matchbox cars. 

As for cereals, I don't recall the road signs, but I did collect aluminum license plates.  They were in Honey Comb cereal (1970 or so).

SkyPesos

There's probably at least one toy out there that came with a US 66 sign, with how famous that highway is...

lepidopteran

Back in the '70s, there were regulation warning signs on the back of some cereal boxes; I wanna say Cocoa Puffs and/or Trix.  I think there were 5 or 6 in all, but the only ones I remember were "Dead End" and "Men Working".  (The latter, of course, has been replaced in the real world by something more gender-neutral such as "Workers Ahead".)

At one point Post was offering a series of 6 inflatable "pillows".  Two were signs; one a STOP sign, and one "Wrong Way, Go Back", a rare sign combo I'd only ever seen in western New York State.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-post-cereal-premium-larido-ny-1728130223

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on December 23, 2020, 03:45:57 PM
I remember a small set of ho scale signs that I used with Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. These signs were pretty good replicas of real signs, not something that looked cartoonish. I think I still have them, but not the package they came in. The name on the package was Oppity Ho's or something that had Ho's in it, because they were ho scale.

A few days ago, I found the box where I stored these. I also noticed other ho scale signs in there from a different set. These had an orange post and frame but were all square, with the sign itself on a square sticker. I don't remember ever getting or having these.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on December 23, 2020, 03:45:57 PM

They were called Ho Scenics. I found a photo of the package online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.