News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Trip from Chicago to the Southeast and Back

Started by CtrlAltDel, March 28, 2015, 03:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

I'm planning a trip from my home in Chicago to the Southeast, and I was hoping I could get your input. I'm looking for any comments you might have on the route that I've sketched out, things I might want to look out for or avoid. For the most part, I prefer the interstates, but if there are some particularly nice smaller roads, I'll take those into consideration. I'm also on the lookout for interesting things (road-geek-wise and regular-wise) to see along the way.

I'm especially interested in finding some good barbecue along my route in South Carolina, so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them. And anything that there might be to do in Asheville. I'll be spending some time in the mountains there, but I'd also like to explore the town a bit.

As far as the "endgame"  of my itinerary goes, I'm having some difficulty in deciding if I should take I-64 to I-65 or I-75 to I-74. I'd prefer the second of these routes, but only if there's something interesting for me to see along the way. As for the last bit, I'm not sure if I should take I-57 or I-65. Because this is so close to home, though, I think I'd prefer whichever way is faster.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

02 Park Ave

I'd avoid the I-4 through Orlando.  It's like driving on Long Island or out in LA.
C-o-H

02 Park Ave

Perhaps I should have said on the Eisenhower or the Kennedy.
C-o-H

tdindy88

You're probably going to want I-75 and I-74 to get to Indy. Plenty of construction this year on I-65 in Southern Indiana and the highway usually has more traffic as it is.

Alex

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 28, 2015, 06:48:41 AM
I'd avoid the I-4 through Orlando.  It's like driving on Long Island or out in LA.

Yes I-4 is to be avoided, but if you want to clinch it, I'd do it early in the morning or late at night, or just know that you'll be slugging it out. Otherwise taking Toll 408 west to the Turnpike to Toll 429 south is a good bypass to avoid the routine traffic congestion through the theme park areas.

If you are coming south into Bradenton during the peak hours, both bridges across the Manatee River routinely clog up through to the respective signals at SR 64. I-275 south to I-75 south to SR 64 west is a better way to go during the evening commute hours.

35 miles of I-75 are currently under construction from north of I-4 to Sumter County for six-laning. The only problem spots are in Hillsborough County however, and that is during the evening peak hours for northbound. The turbine at I-4/75 also routinely sees congestion.

Is your path from Pensacola to Gulf Shores taking you on I-110 south to US 98 Business to SR 292? CR 292A can be a good alternate to avoid some of the congestion along Sorrento Road (SR 292). SR 292 along that stretch is mostly woods and suburban sprawl anyway, whereas CR 292A runs along the north shore of Big Lagoon.

Alabama 182 is a blitz of condo towers from Perdido Beach west to Alabama 59. The spur west from Alabama 59 is more low key. The drive out to Fort Morgan is a nice one, but it does take awhile.

US 41

When you cross into Mississippi from Arkansas I would take US 61 all the way down to Natchez. It also goes through Vicksburg and has a civil war park.

Also in Alabama if you take the ferry from Dauphin Island there is an old fort on the other side (Fort Morgan). If I remember right it's free to enter and you are allowed to explore the fort yourself (no tour guide). The fort is built to blend in with the hill.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

Definitely I-75 and I-74 over I-64 and I-64. Not only is there construction in Louisville, but the route (I think) is more scenic if you go through Cincinnati. Don't go into downtown Cincy, though, use I-275 to connect.

I know you said you prefer interstates but from Johnson City, Tenn. to Lexington, I would take US 23 north through Virginia into Kentucky, then immediately turn on US 119 south to Whitesburg, then onto KY 15 north to the Mountain Parkway. Much of this route is four-lane (all of US 23, portions of US 119 and KY 15, and all of the Mountain Parkway) and the parts that are not four-lane are improved. Another option is to take US 25E north from Morristown, Tenn. to connect with I-75 at Corbin, Ky. It's all four-lane and you will get to see the Cumberland Gap tunnel as well as drive on the Pineville, Ky. floodwall.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 28, 2015, 06:48:41 AM
Quote from: Alex on March 28, 2015, 10:00:19 AM
Yes I-4 is to be avoided, but if you want to clinch it, I'd do it early in the morning or late at night, or just know that you'll be slugging it out. Otherwise taking Toll 408 west to the Turnpike to Toll 429 south is a good bypass to avoid the routine traffic congestion through the theme park areas.
I was indeed planning on clinching it, although I'm now reconsidering because it's been made clear that this is folly. I'm generally loath to use toll roads though, out of principle, so going around Orlando like that is out. How is the traffic on I-4? Would I be going 40 or 45 mph or would it be stop and go the whole way? I would consider something like taking I-75 to US-301 to I-10 to I-95, but I've been led to believe that there are ticket traps all over the place in that area, and I'd prefer to avoid that headache. 

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 28, 2015, 09:04:29 AM
You're probably going to want I-75 and I-74 to get to Indy. Plenty of construction this year on I-65 in Southern Indiana and the highway usually has more traffic as it is.
Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2015, 03:43:10 PM
Definitely I-75 and I-74 over I-64 and I-64. Not only is there construction in Louisville, but the route (I think) is more scenic if you go through Cincinnati. Don't go into downtown Cincy, though, use I-275 to connect.
This is good information to have. I've reluctantly accepted that I-65 from Indianapolis back to Chicago is the best route despite all the annoying traffic scrums, but it would be good to avoid construction in southern Indiana on top of that.

Quote from: Alex on March 28, 2015, 10:00:19 AM
Is your path from Pensacola to Gulf Shores taking you on I-110 south to US 98 Business to SR 292? CR 292A can be a good alternate to avoid some of the congestion along Sorrento Road (SR 292). SR 292 along that stretch is mostly woods and suburban sprawl anyway, whereas CR 292A runs along the north shore of Big Lagoon.
I'll actually be traveling eastbound (and north) on this stretch, but to be honest, I thought I'd just go from Fort Morgan on AL-180 to I-10 any which way, probably the Foley Beach Express. If you have anything better, I'd be happy to hear it, though.

Quote from: US 41 on March 28, 2015, 10:18:47 AM
When you cross into Mississippi from Arkansas I would take US 61 all the way down to Natchez. It also goes through Vicksburg and has a civil war park.
Is US-61 a good road, both road-wise and scenery-wise? I did want to take the Natchez Trace Parkway for a bit, which necessitates a bit of a zigzag, but if US-61 is just as scenic, I just may go that way.

Quote from: US 41 on March 28, 2015, 10:18:47 AM
Also in Alabama if you take the ferry from Dauphin Island there is an old fort on the other side (Fort Morgan). If I remember right it's free to enter and you are allowed to explore the fort yourself (no tour guide). The fort is built to blend in with the hill.
I will definitely be checking this out.

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2015, 03:43:10 PM
I know you said you prefer interstates but from Johnson City, Tenn. to Lexington, I would take US 23 north through Virginia into Kentucky, then immediately turn on US 119 south to Whitesburg, then onto KY 15 north to the Mountain Parkway. Much of this route is four-lane (all of US 23, portions of US 119 and KY 15, and all of the Mountain Parkway) and the parts that are not four-lane are improved. Another option is to take US 25E north from Morristown, Tenn. to connect with I-75 at Corbin, Ky. It's all four-lane and you will get to see the Cumberland Gap tunnel as well as drive on the Pineville, Ky. floodwall.
I'm not so sure about the first route, but the second seems pretty interesting.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Are you interested in clinches? If so, it doesn't add all that much distance in the scheme of things to go down I-26 to Charleston and then back to I-95 via US-17. The construction on Route 17 is finished and it's four lanes the whole way; I think I recall the speed limit being 60 mph (I last used it the Saturday night before this past Christmas). Yes, this does take you off the Interstate for a while, but if you're interested in clinches, it's the way to go, and there are very few (if any) traffic lights once you're out of the Charleston vicinity.

Do not speed through Ridgeland, SC (chickenshit speedtrap town with jurisdiction over a small segment of I-95 between the US-17 merge and Hardeeville).

We had a pretty good dinner at Sam Snead's Tavern at Exit 104 in Georgia, though it's not a barbecue place.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.