News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2019, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2019, 03:55:19 PM
Yesterday afternoon we were eastbound on VA-55 just east of Front Royal when we saw a street sign for Long Winding Road. I don't see it on Google Maps or Apple Maps and I don't feel like clicking through Street View trying to find it. It was east of Front Royal but west of where the road goes under the railroad tracks near the intersection with Dismal Hollow Road.

I spent some time clicking up and down, but failed to find anything. Perhaps a rogue farmer who decided to name their driveway something funny?

I just clicked through on Street View and I didn't see it either. It was on the south side of VA-55 (passenger's side as you drive east from Front Royal) and it was a smaller street sign than most of the others, so there's a good chance it was privately posted.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2019, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 30, 2019, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on August 08, 2019, 03:35:47 PM
Quote from: jasonh300 on August 08, 2019, 02:46:18 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.417599,-92.4331128,18z

AKA Castration Lane

Correction: Semi-Castration Lane :-D

No, it would be "full" castration; castration is removal of the testicals (or modifying the organs to make them worthless).

Explain? If full castration is removal of the two testicles, how is it full castration if there's only one ball cut off?

jakeroot

Quote from: empirestate on September 19, 2019, 09:57:29 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2019, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 30, 2019, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on August 08, 2019, 03:35:47 PM
Quote from: jasonh300 on August 08, 2019, 02:46:18 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.417599,-92.4331128,18z

AKA Castration Lane

Correction: Semi-Castration Lane :-D

No, it would be "full" castration; castration is removal of the testicals (or modifying the organs to make them worthless).

Explain? If full castration is removal of the two testicles, how is it full castration if there's only one ball cut off?

Oh yeah, no shit. I think I read it as "Balls Cut Off Road". Which makes no sense, as the city being "cut off" is Ball, Louisiana. Based on that, I thought you might have assumed that only the removal of all visible reproductive organs would count as full castration (testicle removal being "half").

*facepalm* (although my version of the road is funnier!)

royo6022

This is not necessarily a weird name itself, but does anyone live in/near a town that has a College Street that is either not close to a college or doesn't have one at all?

I have also noticed multiple examples of Church St, and School St, that do not live up to their name in any manner
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: royo6022 on September 23, 2019, 08:26:07 AM
This is not necessarily a weird name itself, but does anyone live in/near a town that has a College Street that is either not close to a college or doesn't have one at all?

I have also noticed multiple examples of Church St, and School St, that do not live up to their name in any manner

Church and School streets may be named for entities that used to be on those streets but no longer exist, as churches and schools often come and go.

Colleges don't often cease to exist, so a College St without a college is more weird to me than the other two.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

empirestate

Is? Sure, College Ave. in Rochester was named for the University of Rochester, which moved away to the River Campus a number of years ago (though many of the former academic buildings remain, and the U of R still owns the adjacent Memorial Art Gallery; also, the building across the street now housing part of School of the Arts was once a dormitory for students of the Eastman School of Music).

thenetwork

Quote from: empirestate on September 28, 2019, 05:45:40 PM

Is? Sure, College Ave. in Rochester was named for the University of Rochester, which moved away to the River Campus a number of years ago (though many of the former academic buildings remain, and the U of R still owns the adjacent Memorial Art Gallery; also, the building across the street now housing part of School of the Arts was once a dormitory for students of the Eastman School of Music).

Grand Junction, CO:  City authorities recently tried to rename US-6 / North Avenue as University Blvd. as Colorado Mesa University is partially located on that street. There was too much blowback since North Avenue is one of the main drags for local businesses and they didnt want to have to invest in changing all their address information on phone listings, business cards, etc...

jakeroot

"University Street" in Seattle was named for the original location of the University of Washington, but it moved about 120 years ago. Street name stuck all these years later.

Kulerage

College Street in Asheville, North Carolina doesn't appear to have any access points to a college, but I could just be completely blind.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5963094,-82.5486165,16.27z

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2019, 01:58:09 AM
"University Street" in Seattle was named for the original location of the University of Washington, but it moved about 120 years ago. Street name stuck all these years later.

UW does still own several downtown blocks around University Street, so the name is not totally inappropriate.

Max Rockatansky

Kickapoo Trail off of CA 62 in Yucca Valley:

IMG_1851 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Big John

^^ There is a Kickapoo River in Wisconsin, with Kickapoo being an Algonquian word meaning "one who goes here, then there"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickapoo_River

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Big John on October 02, 2019, 10:36:57 PM
^^ There is a Kickapoo River in Wisconsin, with Kickapoo being an Algonquian word meaning "one who goes here, then there"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickapoo_River

Yes I'm aware, the interesting thing is that a lot of the street names in Yucca Valley are named after well known tribes from across the United States.  Even Old Woman Springs Road is named after an elderly tribal member who lived at a local spring. 

ErmineNotyours

No Name Road, Guemes Island, Washington.

oscar

End of the Road Road, in Thomas MD:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bing101

thenetwork

Montrose, CO:  Alley Way takes you to within one block of the Rose Bowl bowling alley.

Big John

Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2020, 10:10:25 PM
Montrose, CO:  Alley Way takes you to within one block of the Rose Bowl bowling alley.

Waupaca, WI:  There is a bowling lane on Bowling Ln.  https://goo.gl/maps/uy1oDoKFRgpxvAwN6

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on February 18, 2020, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2020, 10:10:25 PM
Waupaca, WI:  There is a bowling lane on Bowling Ln.  https://goo.gl/maps/uy1oDoKFRgpxvAwN6

Somewhere, there must be a bowling alley along "Bowling Alley".

ftballfan

I present the following, all in south central Kentucky:
Nobob Rd (KY-839)
Rex Birge Rd
J.B. Denham Rd
Toot Geralds Rd
R. Lyons Rd
T.L. Moody Rd

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hotdogPi

Main St. in Braintree, MA is a tiny dead end alley that may not even qualify as a street.

Link here
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on March 20, 2020, 09:30:16 PM
Main St. in Braintree, MA is a tiny dead end alley that may not even qualify as a street.

It shows up as a ROW in Google's parcel data, so it qualifies as something!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: empirestate on March 21, 2020, 06:28:59 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 20, 2020, 09:30:16 PM

It shows up as a ROW in Google's parcel data, so it qualifies as something!

Main Street in Fresno is a dead end alley off of O Street, I don't even see what the purpose of signing it is.

CoreySamson

Lake Jackson, Texas has two roads entitled This Way and That Way which intersect in downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0414221,-95.4488474,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

There is also an Any Way.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.